News

Lagos Court Dissolves 18 Year Old Marriage After Husband Complains Wife Doesn’t Cook for Him

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????An Ikorodu Customary Court in Lagos State, on Wednesday dissolved the 18-year-old marriage, between a transporter, Idowu Adekunle, and his wife, Oluwatoyin, over wife’s “food starvation.”

Granting Adekunle’s wishes, the court’s president, Olu Adebiyi, said that all efforts by the court and family members to reconcile both parties had failed, as Adekunle insisted on divorce.
“From today, you cease to be husband and wife; this court will rest further deliberations and declare free divorce to both parties.

“The petitioner should pay the child feeding allowances of N10,000 on a monthly basis through this honourable court, and should also be responsible for the child’s schooling and hospital bills.

“He should also pay compensation and accommodation fees of the respondent, while the custody of the only child remains with the wife till the determination of the family court.

“Visitation right granted to the petitioner at any reasonable time of the day,’’ Adebiyi ruled.
Adekunle, who resides in Ikorodu, in his petition, told the court that his wife, who is a beautician, was in the habit of starving him of food.

“My wife starves me of food; she does not cook for me anymore and never bothers if I will eat or not.

“She has also stopped cooking for my seven children from my first wife.

“I have reported her to both families, but she refused to change her habit. How can she live under my roof without cooking for me?

“Please separate us before she starves me to death,’’ Adekunle pleaded with the court.

Oluwatoyin, in her response, did not deny the allegations but asked the court to plead with her husband, saying he would amend her ways as “I still love him.’’

The wife said she stopped cooking for her husband because she would have slept whenever he arrived home.

“I also stopped cooking for my step children because they were always complaining that I wasn’t cooking good food.

“I am ready to change my habit and I will sign an undertaking that such mistakes will never repeat themselves.

“I don’t want to leave him, I still love him,’’ Oluwatoyin pleaded with the court.

Photo Credit: Jason Stitt/Dreamstime.com

1. This is not enough to divorce please. The man just wants to end the marriage.
    18yrs marriage ended just like that!

• Personally

January 14, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Where were people like you when the other divorce post of yesterday was posted..the woman who divorced the husband despite slapping him, turning him to a nanny….

Double standards

• Reverse

January 14, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Why not tell the full story? The man in yesterday’s post was a drunk and drug user, the woman in this case is a beautician… you’re really taking it personal, or did your wife leave you? share with BN, so we can advise you…

2. gia

January 14, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Brainless man…smh

3. Luch

January 14, 2015 at 4:38 pm

This is real abi. This happening!! This is 2015 abi. We are definitely on our own

4. HAWTTALKWITHTOSAN

January 14, 2015 at 4:38 pm

My mother told me the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. I guess she was right.

• sika

January 14, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Yeah..unless that man was born in the 50s/60s/70s… Because no matter how many pots of food you cook for men of today, if they dont want you..they dont want you hun. And from general consensus..a way to a mans heart is definitely not his stomach..you may want to travel down south a bit to find the way to his heart..*wink*

• HAWTTALKWITHTOSAN

January 14, 2015 at 8:26 pm

LOL. I feel you and I am from the south so i sure know that way as well. wink.

5. chacho

January 14, 2015 at 4:45 pm

When did the woman become Cook for christ sake? How can you entrust your feeding into another person’s hands. If she does not cook for you, Can you not cook for yourself? Why is she responsible for your SEVEN children from a previous relationship? Is she a machine? This is ludacris!

6. Lina

January 14, 2015 at 4:55 pm

SEVEN children??!! SEVEN?? He has 7 children from his first marriage which ended at least 18 years ago means the youngest is at least 19. So none of them can cook??

• MC

January 14, 2015 at 7:12 pm

That’s exactly what i thinking!
      Are they not old enough to cater for themselves!?

7. Ada Nnewi

January 14, 2015 at 4:55 pm

The woman is begging to stay the court no gree but the court has refused to let the woman that wanted to leave in yesterday’s case go because her husband still wants the marriage….Naija and Male supremacy…smh!

• sika

January 14, 2015 at 5:23 pm

This is why we need more feminists in Nigeria..and also why the likes of Tiwa savage should not be allowed to grant any sort of interview that involves using brain cells. She just might be influencing your kids.

• Iris

January 14, 2015 at 9:28 pm

You just read my damned mind. Since they are granting divorces to men for wives who don’t cook and like to party, they’d better grant the divorce to that woman whose husband drinks, abuses drugs, beats her,and squanders the money she gives him to start a business.

8. sika

January 14, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Foolish man. she cooked for you and your 7 kids from another woman? aren’t those kids grown enough to enter the kitchen? The fact your second marriage didnt work says more about you than the women you married. You clearly have issues if after 18 years you divorce your wife because of food. Clearly your union was some sort of contract..with words like ‘living under my roof’. Marriage would mean the house belongs to you both no? The old man has clearly found another woman and is using this an an excuse. I feel bad for the woman.

9. Diuto

January 14, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Abi o! I saw that previous post and had the same thoughts with you

10. Jane Public

January 14, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Someone please give me the man the link to Dooney’s Kitchen so he can cook for himself. Her recipes are so easy to follow, even a numpty head like this man will be able to cook.

11. DRKnite

January 14, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Yes, after hitting the same booty for 18 years, new booty is required but using cooking as a reason for divorce is silly. He could be honest and say I’m tired of this broad.

12. MC

January 14, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Cooking is a life skill!!! Everybody should know how to do this and not be restricted to one gender.
    Imagine! Going to bed hungry because you cant cook for yourself wtf

13. sassy

January 14, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Seriously? Mehn dis is jst wrong on so many levels…….dat man is a tfdlbzwfxyqnsk (words fail me)………he needs to b flogged

14. Tagoc

January 14, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Wow a grown man complaining about his wife not cooking for him. He should starve now! Smh!!!

15. BN lover

January 14, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Hmmmmm,wonders shall never end! How can u marry somebody cause she has to cook 4 u. Who made her your slave….cooking,cleaning 4 u should be her choice you can’t compel her to do that and when she refuses u seek to end an 18 year old union…Brah u mad?! btw where did dis new divorce court emerge from cause these days couples face divorce attorney for bizarre reasons.

16. Mz Socially Awkward....

January 14, 2015 at 9:54 pm

I’m telling you, if you ever have time on your hands and want to witness real time drama, the Customary Courts are the place to camp out. The things you’ll see and hear are beyond belief….

17. Nahum

January 14, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Bros you are on your second marriage and you are complaining because your wife ( who has a stressful job as a beautician btw) can not cook for you and your grown ass kids and you are divorcing because she wants more rights in her marriage…hmm, from my assessment, bros is the one with the problem o. He has raised some bad ass Bebe’s kids who can’t cook and clean and the poor woman just wants a bit of freedom in her marriage. Naija women dey suffer o. She should take her divorce and her kids and run for the hills cause she is finally free from slavery

18. ogosmiles

January 15, 2015 at 12:29 am

18years old marriage,7kids from previous marriage.daddy just say u want another wife cos I believe your kids should be able to cook for u by now

19. Ekene

January 17, 2015 at 2:39 am

Stupid man, just cut the crap and say ure ford of ur wife cz it’s obvious ure such a randy savage cz it’s obvious ure abt to take a third wife. Shame on u fool.