Every now and then it’s okay to blur the lines that separate the sexes in fashion. Men embrace more traditional feminine aesthetics like bracelets, chains and earrings, while women rock boyfriend jeans, ties, loafers and more.
As much as we would love to stick to our flirty dresses and sexy skirts, sometimes we just want to rock a professional suit and make it ours. So today, BN Style will be sharing some tips on how you can rock a pantsuit in the most feminine ways possible.
Check them out!
1. When wearing a pantsuit, you want to feel as comfortable as possible. That is why getting the fit right is very important.
Suits are not a ‘one size fits all’ deal. They take proper measurements and trial before you find the right one. A great way to get the right size is to buy the pieces separately. This is both stylish and strategic. If you know what size of jackets and pants you wear, simply get them in your size and ensure they go well together.
2. The length of the sleeve is very important in selecting a jacket. Be sure that the sleeve stops just below the wrist, and it should, by no means, get to or go past the pad of your thumb; if it does it will make you seem somewhat amateur and slouchy.
3. In terms of the size of the pants, they should be at least an inch bigger than your actual waist size. This is so even if you tuck your shirt in or not, there will still be that comfort zone available for you. Plus, it decreases the chances of you getting a muffin top (and who doesn’t hate that).
4. Chances are you’ll wear your suit with heels (we hope), so when it comes to the length of the trousers, be sure it ends at your ankles. This will make the fit of the suit look just right for your stature. However, if you are shorter in height, you might want to get trousers that are a bit longer so it can elongate your frame. The opposite applies for taller people.
5. If you’re carrying a bun in the oven and still want to rock your suit, you can! Try a single-button jacket or blazer that buttons just below the bust and right above the stomach. It would not only give comfort but will also show off your adorable bump.
Another great way is to get a blazer that doesn’t come with buttons or leave them loosened so you don’t get uncomfortable.
6. Get at least 3 pairs of trousers, jackets and skirts in solid colours of black, dark grey and deep blue. These colours are great when paired with bright colours and leave a less lasting impression just in case you want to wear them again.
This will give you more options when it comes to your outfits, and it will seem like you’re wearing a totally different outfit each time.
7. Get unconventional colours and cuts for a more modern vibe. For example, instead of wearing a black suit with a white shirt, try a white suit with a black shirt like Oprah. It is more stylish, catchy and modern.
8. For our fashionistas out there, you can get a suit in a different cut. Suits don’t just come in the traditional pantsuit or skirt suit silhouettes. Some suits have capes, cut-outs, embellishments and more.
9. If you want to rock a suit to a less formal event, you can. Try getting a peplum jacket for a more relaxed, informal and feminine look. This way you look all business and pleasure.
10. If you’re are willing to go the whole mile and rock a tie, a general rule of thumb is to ensure the tie is the same size as the lapels. If they’re not the same or similar in sizes, your outfit might end up looking lopsided and contrasting.
We know we have a lot of Stylistas who love to rock a stylish suit. Be sure to share your go-to tips with us!