Style

Got Dark Knuckles? Here Are 6 Simple Tips to Help Fade them Away!

Having dark knuckles can be a difficult thing to deal with for women of colour. It could be that you have them naturally or they could have been induced either by bleaching, excessive tanning, exposure to extreme/hazardous washing agents etc.

I usually get questions on how to fix this problem from women who have gotten dark knuckles one way or the other; and either don’t know how to get rid of them or are simply unaware that you can do this with some simple natural methods.

But first, what causes dark knuckles? You need to know that it could be genetic, a health issue or based on how you use your hands. For instance, dark knuckles become more emphasized when you use a lightening cream or if you expose your hands to a lot of chemicals including washing agents, bleach used for clothes or excessive washing of hands.

You must remember that because you use your hands a lot, your routine must focus on pampering those hands. The skin around the knuckle is tough and any lasting routine must have the ability to keep the area soft to enable it absorb any treatment, and include some type of scrub to help peel off the dark skin and hyper-pigmentation.

On that note, check out these tips that can be used for both hands & feet to help you get rid of those dark knuckles.

1. Get a bottle of a good revitalizing lotion. Use a Q-tip, dab it in the lotion and apply it on your dark knuckles. Be sure to lay on a thick layer of the lotion and ensure it gets absorbed into the skin. After the 5-minute mark, clean it off or rub it in.

2.  Another great way to moisturize your dark knuckles is to use raw shea butter. First take a scoop of the butter and smother your hands and feet with it. Be sure to use this on your feet as well. Shea butter has properties that help even skin tone and moisturize the skin and will work well in reducing the darkness on your knuckles.

3. If it is severe, for the first week, after applying the Shea butter, wear disposable non-sterile powder free vinyl medical examination gloves on your hands and sleep over night with it. This will help lock in moisture to begin the peeling process. Then wash your hands with a mild scrub in the mornings.

4. For the feet, apply shea butter and then wrap your feet. The heat generated from the closure of the bag will help with peeling the skin fast. Do this every night for 1 week.

5. If it is not severe, then simply wear a cotton glove for your hands and a pair of cotton socks for your feet for about two weeks.

6. Using a scrub or skin polish as well is great for dark knuckles. Scrub the dark areas 2-3 times a week to help exfoliate the skin and reduce hyper-pigmentation.

If these do not help, you may need to see a dermatologist. Remember, a qualified dermatologist is a doctor! Consulting with uncertified beauticians can lead to damaged skin.

***

Got a remedy for dark knuckles? Share your secrets with us!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime/Rmarmion

Obiageli Ajaero is the Managing Director of Somkolch Nigeria and also the CEO of Essence De Beaute’. A graduate of Imo State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biochemistry. She started her career in Diplomatic Relations at the Consulate of France, then moved on to the banking industry in December 2004 where she had an accelerated growth to mid- management. Her passion for natural skin care and a strong belief in the uniqueness of every woman's beauty took her through a quest for knowledge that led her to Essence de Beaute‘ USA where she trained as a beauty consultant

1. Radiant

February 5, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Thank you for the article. It feels so tranquil.

I have had dark knuckles since I knew myself as a child (actually a schoolmate pointed it out when I was in J.S. 3) and I will try the scrubbing. I feel my palms will sweat if I wear gloves overnight.

Actually, I have very tough palms and any little soak in water hurts when I bring out my palms and the water dries. Over the years, hand wash laundry (one of my best chores) and dish washing are not really fun. I carry land lotion everywhere and everyday.

2. Damsel says

February 5, 2015 at 2:24 pm

I totally agree with No 5 on all levels

3. bluebell

February 5, 2015 at 2:35 pm

stop bleaching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• neharra

February 5, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Not everyone who has dark knuckles bleaches. I have a light brown skin complexion, never bleached, and I have had darker knuckles and knees (not so dark though) my whole life.

• Bleed Blue

February 5, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Sigh…Both my little boys are fair skinned but have dark knuckles.

Even when the article CLEARLY points out it can be caused by genetics, people will still shout “stop bleaching!”

I fear for them growing up in such a judgmental world. But as a mum, all I can do is try to prepare them to have firm but polite responses for comments like @bluebell’s.

• Tobi

February 3, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Sometimes it’s not about bleaching. I’ve had dark Knuckles since I was a child. I was watching a movie and insulting a woman because of her knuckles and my mum pointed mine out. My niece is only 1, and her knuckles are dark. I think sometimes it’s hereditary so don’t be too quick to judge.

• sarah

April 28, 2016 at 4:28 pm

You do know it’s not everyone with dark knuckles that bleach right. So what you said is actually pointless

• Radiance

July 3, 2016 at 8:36 am

Its not always about the bleaching there are several other causes

4. nene

February 5, 2015 at 2:36 pm

7. Get rid of that bleaching cream.

• Shandi

February 5, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Open your eyes and read, open your brains (if that’s possible) and stop being ignorant. Even with the detailed article, you’re still talking about bleaching. Most of you are so rude and blinded by it. Even dark people have even darker knuckles, it’s not always about bleaching.

5. tama

February 5, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Toke love .. this is for ya

6. pinkie

February 5, 2015 at 2:51 pm

hmmmm. I believe this would work for those with natural dark knuckles. as for those of you that rub caro white and Egyptian milk and the likes, if you like scrub with iron sponge and vim or soak in sack of Q-tip, biko it would not work.

• @udegbunamchuks

February 5, 2015 at 3:39 pm

ROFLMAO

7. Rahama

February 5, 2015 at 3:08 pm

It’s hurtful when people accuse me of bleaching just because I have darker than average knuckles. I’ve always had them and it didn’t use to be a problem till this whole you dey bleach/you no dey bleach wahala started. Now I don’t rest. It even started with Le boo who ‘noticed’ my knuckles and knees one day and told me to stop bleaching. I was shocked. Some people just have natural dark knuckles and they’ve bever bleached a day in their lives o. I’ve even noticed that some white oeople have redder knuckles than other which might be the oyibo version of dark knuckles. Thanks BN for pointing out that not all dark knuckles come from bleaching. I feel so self conscious now that I don’t show my hands when taking pictures and hide them in public cos I don’t want people thinking I’m killing myself slowly by bleaching.

• pinkie

February 5, 2015 at 3:46 pm

you sound really sad about it.eyaaa… since you know you don’t bleach, pay no attention to what people say and think. rock ur dark knuckles.

• Aunty Barbara

February 15, 2015 at 1:13 am

Lol ‘rock ur dark knuckles’

• Mary

February 5, 2015 at 6:33 pm

I was touched by your comment. Don’t feel too bad. Since you didn’t bleach, try squeezing lemon or lime juice in a bowl (if you’re using lemon, use half cause it’s bigger, if you’re using lime, use one), add a tea spoon of honey and shea butter and mix all ingredients well; rub on your knuckles, leave for at least 30 minutes and then you can rinse it out. Do it twice a week and you can stop once it has worked. My friend with dark skin and even darker knuckles tried this for weeks and it worked.
      PS: You really shouldn’t be bothered about what people think. Like really, who cares?

• anonymous

August 30, 2015 at 1:31 pm

I have had dark knees since I started realising my body though I do not have dark knuckles,I understand how you feel.just try out this things am going to try them out too

• Adwoa Tufuor

June 8, 2019 at 8:53 pm

I feel you 100 . I’m also light skinned and I have darker knuckles. I also had never noticed them till my ex’s mom asked him if I was bleaching. I mean I’m that lazy to even apply lotion. I only do on my exposed parts after dressing up so I wouldn’t look ashy . I realized my sister has darker knuckles too but she’s not light skinned so she gets the pass. I remember my brother asking me a lot about the cream I use somewhere last year when he noticed it . Argh. It’s so embarrassing. Ppl are so ignorant and judgmental . I’ve started with this Shea butter regimen and I hop it helps

8. @edDREAMZ

February 5, 2015 at 3:15 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Making sense post no doubt….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

9. Olu

February 5, 2015 at 3:31 pm

What is the difference between this and bleaching..Na so God make you??
    Dencia must be laffing at allouurrr

• BellaNaija.com

February 5, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Thanks for the comment but you clearly did not read the article 🙂

• Olu

February 5, 2015 at 4:52 pm

No I did not. 🙂

10. kelly

February 5, 2015 at 4:04 pm

please were is this essence de beaute shop located? please I need information ASAP…..

11. nene

February 5, 2015 at 4:07 pm

dark knuckles can be caused by several factors: obesity, hormone imbalance, tough/sensitive skin, bleaching, harsh household products,etc. can people have a list of dermatologists to see in nigeria? i think it would help those who need help for their skins.

12. funmilola

February 5, 2015 at 4:20 pm

My dad is dark skinned and he’s got dark knuckles,ankles,knees and elbow joints,they have this velvet look and I really love them. Now,my immediate sis got her complexion from my mum who is light skinned and she’s got the dark places like my dad too,is she bleaching?no!. My other sis is just the exact copy of my dad too…..I wish I had them too.

13. mockingbird

February 5, 2015 at 5:18 pm

how to stop dark knuckles
    1. stop bleaching
    2. stop bleaching
    3 .stop bleaching
    4. stop bleaching
    5. stop bleaching

• Mary

February 5, 2015 at 6:39 pm

How to stop being foolish and ignorant.
      1. Go for deliverance.
      2. Go for deliverance.
      3. Go for deliverance.
      4. Go for deliverance.
      5. Go for deliverance.
      Ode.

• Ada Nnewi

February 5, 2015 at 7:44 pm

mumu!!!! learn how to read!!!

• Concerned Nigerian

April 2, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Did you even read the post or do you just enjoy basking in ignorance?

14. bruno

February 5, 2015 at 5:26 pm

even the people that are bleaching are shouting stop bleaching. lol

• Aunty

February 5, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Dear Bruno, this is your funniest comment yet!

15. Gorgeous

February 5, 2015 at 7:09 pm

I am naturally light with my knees, elbows and knuckles dark. Nothing wrong with dark knuckles, after all something has got to identify itself with dark skin in light skinned people. If its natural and not a result of bleaching, don’t beat yourself up about it jor.

16. Drknite

February 5, 2015 at 8:46 pm

I heard goat $h!t works wonders for dark knuckles and ugly teeth.

• Diuto

February 6, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Dumb comment#NotFunny

17. hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

February 5, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Is this really a problem?

18. benny

February 6, 2015 at 9:48 am

dear bruno incase u read dis just know dat i love reading ur comments i remember dat comment concerning dat lady who married herself nd u said orobo looking for a way to eat d cake all by herself guy u dey cracked person up lmao…

19. Cara

February 19, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for the tips! I have darker knuckles for some time now and I don’t know why . I will try your tips! Thanks!

20. August

April 7, 2015 at 7:30 pm

i’m being faced with the problem of dark knuckles that is how i got here via google. i’m happy to see a site that cater to africans, its rare u know. mainwhile, i am a social smoker and am afriad that may actually be my vice. im hoping to get some help here for lighting my knuckles. kudos!! to the admin of this site.

21. Praiz

May 13, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Great tips about dark knuckles Bella Naija. Thanks

22. will

August 22, 2015 at 4:27 am

It’s important to consider that in addition to being unsightly dark knuckles could be a sign of diabetes. Get yourself checked by a doctor.

23. Mandy

September 30, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Lol…see comments…#smh..So many dumb people in this planet earth

24. tala

October 21, 2015 at 9:34 am

Mocking bird your comments represent u no doubt

25. Joseph

December 31, 2015 at 10:42 am

Pls, my hands always peeling at all time, hard and is even making me to feel uncomfortable, what can i do? cos am realy border abt it.

26. Tobi

February 3, 2016 at 5:00 pm

I agree. I’ve met dark people with dark movies.

27. Sheena

February 7, 2016 at 10:20 pm

I tried many products but the skin around my toes & fingers even my knuckles are really dark. I need help with this

28. Marlexander

February 8, 2016 at 7:52 am

Dark knuckles are caused by many things, hereditary causes are the basic whilst exposure too sun, chemicals and bleaching agents are the secondary causes. A baby with dark knuckles has them genetically and it can’t be wiped off into adult, you manage it or forget it.

29. Damilosky

March 1, 2016 at 10:53 pm

I must really confess that i used to make use of skin lightening creams before, but i’ve stopped. I resorted to using Coco Butter mixed with Coconut oil and Shear Butter few months ago. I however had lighter knuckles then, but since i stopped using my skin light cream, i notice my knuckles both on my leg and fingers are absolutely dark. My elbows and kneels are not left out. It’s really embarrasing as I’m light skinned. I can’t display my fingers in the public as i find them really disturbing. Everybody thinks I’m bleaching, even when I’m not as fair as i used to be.

“Biko, when Coco Butter start to dey bleach person? LOL!”

BTW, my mom actually told me i had it since I was a baby, but it was not this dark when i used skin light cream.

I’ll try these tips (Lemon, Honey and Shear Butter + Glove) and get back to you.

In addition to this article, I believe “Caro White” made my knuckles even more darker and even gave me more eczema breakout. So guys, stay away from that cream. It’s as bad as BAD!! Stupid cream.

30. red dear

March 6, 2016 at 9:50 am

my skin does not have an even tone. my face, hands and feel are darker than every part of my body. my knuckles, knees and elbows are not left out. i have tried different types of cream that have on them that they even body tones, mine isnt evening out. i have tried bleaching cream , but i had to stop it because it worsened my skin, so its out of it. What can i do to get an even tone?

31. chaley

April 25, 2016 at 12:44 am

I am light skin guy, i never had dark knuckles until a cream was recommended to me. It got my hands and feet darkened. I have tried so many product to get rid of it but no to Avail. I tried peeling with grace duo. But it darkened again after few weeks. I feel so embarrassed now. Please is there a confirmed product or remedy to heal my skin to it normal initial state? Please help out 🙁

• X

August 13, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Same here… regretting my past actions nw

32. ebele

August 16, 2016 at 2:52 am

I have dark knukcles, i must say its as a result of a cream i used to clear the horrible spots on my face. The cream really helped me out but in the end gave me dark knukcles. I will do the lime, honey and shear butter therapy….pray it works!

33. cherish

October 4, 2016 at 11:47 pm

call me on this line.07034940132.& get all your dark areas all cleared.

34. cherish

October 4, 2016 at 11:56 pm

plz anybody interested should call me on this line.i have somany remedies to clear all
    dark nuckles,elbows, knees and pimpled and dark faces.very afordabl

35. cherish

October 4, 2016 at 11:57 pm

dis my no once again.07034940132

cherish

36. Prettycruz affairs

February 10, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Well d secret of getting rid of your dark knuckle or any form of hyperpigment is to go natural with our product made from plant extract and nature’s given agent. Call us to get that kutis artista skin you have always desire 08027773575 share our testimony. Thanks

37. Bibi Manu

January 5, 2018 at 11:00 pm

Thank you for the tips. Definitely lots of useful info.
    To all those quick to talk about bleaching….. I wonder how you got to this page in the first. I suppose you dont have any knuckle problems. smh

38. judea

January 12, 2018 at 12:42 pm

Wait a minute, this sun bathing or sun tanning wey oyibo people dey do no be like bleaching?
    They use creams containing chemicals and even go through the pain of lying under the sun just for their skin to get a little darker but i dont hear people of same race as them criticise and judge them for doing that. Why are blacks like this? Habor so much hate for one another. People of color can never be respected as long as we bully each other on social media and post for the world to read, theres obviously no end in sight to racism.
    And for your information, sun tanning and bleaching can both result in skin damage and cancer. So also relaxing of hair, eating too much rice and akpu and amala and spaghetti and all other nonsense y’all cyber bullies have been eating. Life itself is a risk so live and let live biko

39. Bunmi

April 11, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Pls wat is a revitalising lotion..tankiu

40. usman

June 9, 2018 at 8:06 pm

b5

41. crown

December 30, 2018 at 7:13 pm

I’ve had dark knuckles from birth. started going to see a doctor from childhood and they kept on treating and treating and gave up then told me I will out grow it. my aunties in the village kept on giving me leaves upon leaves to help no way. at that age I didn’t understand why they were stressing me because nobody was criticizing me then. they used to sympathize with me sef thinking it was fire or hot water that caused it. as I got older when I entered university precisely that’s when I realized how the society is lame. they kept on accusing me of bleaching giving me advice blah blah blah. I always stand up for myself and tell them to leave me the way I am that its non of their business but deep inside I was hurting. I started looking for remedy I realized that the more I tried the more it got worse so I stopped. and I said to myself if they can’t accept me how I am they should go fuck themselves. after all my cousin whose own is worse than mine but stays in America flaunts her hands and feet even on social media because she is in a developed world. I don’t owe anyone any explanations whatsoever. if you think I’m bleaching carry on. after all bleaching is not a sin its a decision. the real people that bleach don’t even have dark knuckles unless they use cheap products so guys, Learn to live with what you can’t change

42. Glutathione Cosmetics

October 5, 2021 at 7:32 am

Having dark knuckles can be a difficult thing to deal with for women. To solve the problem of dark knuckles Belle Nubian is here with the finest and organic products to treat knuckles at their last.