Scoop

Angelina Jolie Reveals She Has Removed her Ovaries & Tubes…2 Years after Preventive Double Mastectomy

Angelina JolieIn a NY Times op-ed piece called ‘Angelina Jolie Pitt: Diary of a Surgery, Angelina Jolie has revealed that she has removed her ovaries and Fallopian tubes following a cancer scare.

The 39-year-old actress and director wrote that she decided to have the surgery now after receiving a call from her doctor that her blood-test results showed something that could have been the sign of early cancer. Luckily, further tests came back with the all clear, but Angelina Jolie decided to go ahead with the surgery.

Two years ago she had a preventive double mastectomy and the next preventive surgery on the list was the removal of her ovaries and Fallopian tubes. She will no longer be able to have any biological children.

She wrote:

I chose to keep my uterus because cancer in that location is not part of my family history. It is not possible to remove all risk, and the fact is I remain prone to cancer. I will look for natural ways to strengthen my immune system. I feel feminine, and grounded in the choices I am making for myself and my family. I know my children will never have to say, ‘Mom died of ovarian cancer.’

Regardless of the hormone replacements I’m taking, I am now in menopause. I will not be able to have any more children, and I expect some physical changes. But I feel at ease with whatever will come, not because I am strong but because this is a part of life. It is nothing to be feared.

I feel deeply for women for whom this moment comes very early in life, before they have had their children. Their situation is far harder than mine. I inquired and found out that there are options for women to remove their fallopian tubes but keep their ovaries, and so retain the ability to bear children and not go into menopause. I hope they can be aware of that.

It is not easy to make these decisions. But it is possible to take control and tackle head-on any health issue. You can seek advice, learn about the options and make choices that are right for you. Knowledge is power.

You can read the full, inspiring op-ed now at NYTimes.com!

Photo Credit: Getty Images/C Flanigan

1. ChiChiChilolo

March 24, 2015 at 11:19 am

Hmmmn! It is well!

2. sharon

March 24, 2015 at 12:04 pm

issues on health should be taken seriously…. if she admits it on reasons best known to her it all well…

3. chy

March 24, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Angie, anytime i hear something about you, its always lifting.

4. http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

March 24, 2015 at 2:24 pm

This is a very hard decision whether one has had children or not. I do hope with all this, she is clear although nothing is ever certain. Best wishes to the her and her family.

5. Bola

March 24, 2015 at 3:13 pm

She made a smart decision

6. Rose Okwy

March 24, 2015 at 6:44 pm

If only beauty can buy good health, you know, because to me she is one of the most beautiful women inside and outside. So ladies let us stop being vain. Beauty is but a fleeting moment in life. Take care of yourself leave the rest to God.

7. halyma

March 24, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I’m a young survivor and it was not an easy journey but I’m grateful I made the choice to have my lump tested because knowing is actually half the battle!

This comment from the full article made my day….
    Very interesting and important to see a topic like this brought to the table by someone who can truly garner a ton of attention by media and society. I think the most important thing that can come out of a high-profile article like this is a necessary discussion about the value we place on a woman’s ability to give birth and the absolute importance we, as society, place on this ability. I think more women with reasons for removing reproductive organs, whether those be health or personal reasons, would opt for removal IF a woman’s value was not based almost entirely in her bringing children into the world. Even in 2015, women who do not give birth (by choice and/or their not being able to), will always be asked “Why?” Motherhood is the societal default, but it is NOT for everyone. It’s time to take women’s health off the back burner, and to recognize the dangerous situation a woman is placed in when her value rests in her reproductive organs.

8. Omalicha

March 25, 2015 at 12:42 pm

i Love you angie

9. Opsy

March 25, 2015 at 4:19 pm

A woman after my heart, nice piece Angelina 🙂

10. MAAME ADWOA

March 31, 2015 at 7:24 pm

No wonder i love her soooo much. U are a true woman who knows what’s best for her family. U will never die of any kind of cancer. I LOVE U Angie.