Scoop

Bovi on Life as a Comedian, “People Don’t Take Me Serious Most of the Time … It’s Depressing When You’re Having a Bad Day”

Bovi & Gbemi Olateru-Olagebgi for NEA  on BN- July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01008Bovi gets personal and candid in an interview with Vanguard newspaper.

Known for always making people laugh whether it is on stage or in sitcoms, he talks about his family, his comedy, his projects and much more.

Read excerpts from the interview below.

On the inspiration for his jokes: I don’t know. Comedy comes to me naturally. One thing I do know is, right from when I was a child, I always wanted to be an entertainer. I guess, either my persistence paid off or by nature this is what God wanted for me but I think it’s more of the latter.

On life apart from comedy: Like I said earlier, I’m an actor and I’m a writer as well. I believe in focusing on your passion and this is my passion. I do get tired doing any other kind of business besides entertainment. That’s not to say I can’t have other businesses outside this field but this is the one I like to run.

On making money from comedy: Who told you I’m making money from this? (laughs) I just wanted to entertain people. The fact that it’s paying is an added bonus; money is never priority in anything I do. If I die today, I’m not going to take the money with me. I take my life one day at a time and I do things that make me happy. Entertainment makes me happy.

On comedians who make him laugh: There are so many of them – we have many copy cats in the business, which the world doesn’t know about yet, and they are funny. Some comedians I enjoy watching are Gandoki, Basket Mouth, Buchi, I Go Die and I Go Save. These guys make me laugh even if they are saying the same things.

On jokes about poverty: That’s not true. I’ve told a couple of jokes relating to poverty but that was in my formative years as a stand-up comic. The reason I did that was to capture the attention of the audience as they find such stories pretty interesting. When I defined my style, such jokes became hard to come by and that’s because most of my jokes are based on experiences and real life situations. Having said that, I can tell you for free that I didn’t grow up poor neither was I born with a silver spoon. But credit to my parents, I never lacked. I’m happily married now. So my wife and kids are my immediate constituency.

On people not taking him seriously: People don’t take me serious most of the time. While I recognize the fact that it’s the love of what I do that triggers it, sometimes it’s just depressing especially when you are having a bad day. You want to get on to something serious and people just see you and think it’s a joke. I guess it’s the sacrifice that comes with the job.

You can read up his full interview here.

1. Cee

March 5, 2015 at 6:40 am

Because u are funny. Even looking at u makes me laugh. But I get your point, people should know when u are not in comedy mood.

2. Dr.N

March 5, 2015 at 8:38 am

I hope this is not a cry for help. Too many depressed comedians these days. Let’s remember to look out for each other folks

• charles

March 5, 2015 at 11:54 am

There is nothing like “depressed comedian”. They are the ones creating that faux-pas. They have arrived, so they can yarn anyhow.

3. ssah

March 5, 2015 at 9:09 am

lol

4. Scared Homosapien

March 5, 2015 at 9:29 am

That makes two of us.
    My friends come to me to make them laugh, and when i need them to cheer me up, they think i’m trying to be funny. It is really depressing.
    We should have a drink and discuss. lol.

5. Ewa

March 5, 2015 at 9:34 am

Bovi makes me laugh.. lol..

6. le coco

March 5, 2015 at 10:31 am

am I the only one hu saw the shade tht was just thrown. “there are many copycats”… ” enjoy, gandoki, basket mouth, I go die, and I go save… EVEN IF THEY R SAYING THE SAME THING”.. DID YOU JUST IMPLY THAT THEY ARE NOT ORIGINAL???????????

7. @edDREAMZ

March 5, 2015 at 11:40 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Sorry dude but i will never yu seriously, just looking at this pic is fucking cracking my ribs….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

8. Oga Ose

March 5, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Meanwhile, Bovi haven’t seen a worse-case scenario . I have been crying out loud cos’ when I talk to most of my friends they give me this response of “we’re not convinced” I feel sad.. now I feel I should start carrying a straight face.

9. tunmi

March 5, 2015 at 1:27 pm

There is a saying that the funny ones are usually the worst hit ones or something about comedians have their demons. He should look after his mental health

10. @dim_oluchi

March 7, 2015 at 8:57 am

Eyaaa, its a pity ooo. Dont worry, we will start taking you serious, henceforth.