Music

“D’banj is incapable of making another hit song.” Joy Isi Bewaji urges Him to go the P.Diddy Route in Open Letter

Joy Isi Bewaji recently penned an open letter titled ‘Dear D’banj, this is NOT a Love Letter’ to D’banj AKA the Koko Master as he’s fondly called.

Although his latest track, ‘Feeling the Nigga’ has been making waves, the publicist and writer is urging him to give up on making music for himself so he can focus on being an entrepreneur.Dbanj-1

The letter was first published on Sabi News, but has gone viral.

Here are some excerpts:

On D’banj Being Unable to Make Another Hit

I thought we had passed this phase of D’banj’s career? Sizing up his phallus, suggesting sexual machismo, endorsing chauvinism and being a general nuisance?

For all of his self-proclaimed virtues, we now know D’banj is incapable of making another hit song.

D’banj has struggled. Oh dear! Every song- and you can see that he lost sleep, sweated blood, outdid himself, and upped his braggadocio, STILL a hit track has eluded him like sanity eludes the streets of Lagos.

The problem is not that he cannot save his music, the problem is he IS trying to save it.

Let it go, KOKO master. That thing, unfortunately, is limp.

D’Banj Should Reinvent Himself

You know some of the biggest names from oil to corporate Nigeria to politics, you have dated their daughters. You have a standing and clout in social crowds.

Dear D’banj, it is time to reinvent you. Enough of these idiotic dance steps.

It is time to become a media mogul, forget one-one kobo songs, leave it to the talented. Focus on your Koko phones, Koko garri, Koko pure water- exporter/importer tinz.

Go The Diddy Route

D’banj, it is time to be the Bawse! This has been true for P.Diddy (aka Sean Puffy Combs)

Can Diddy sing? No!

Can he rap? Hell NO!

Is he richer than many Americans and their unborn kids? YES! YES!! YES!!!

I might not be a fan, but I liked your shoes at your first MTV Award event some years back. That should count for something.

So here’s wishing all the best.

And hopefully, we do not see you in this state of hopelessness, hoping to woo the crowd by all means ever again.

You can read the entire open letter on Sabi News.

1. RO2

March 12, 2015 at 8:22 am

A thought for the D’banj to consider

2. RitaB

March 12, 2015 at 8:27 am

wow! this is some write up and every single word soooo true, i get almost sick in my stomach hearing D’bang sing. biko do something else with your talent.

• Author Unknown

March 12, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Stop being hypocritical. Aren’t you all the same people coming down on D’banj for not making hit music, and doing everything but music? I’m not saying you personally RitaB. And why is everybody on D’banj’s case? Is the social scene really missing him that much, or is offering him career advise the latest way to get cheap popularity?

3. Cybernd

March 12, 2015 at 8:29 am

I absolutely agree with this post, very Apt, witty and yet sincerely true. D’banj needs a hiatus or something in order to reinvent and look at other entertainment options other than singing.

• Karonwi

March 12, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Well I guess that’s why he’s into agriculture now.lol

4. dora

March 12, 2015 at 8:30 am

#word…ever since he split ways with Don Jazzy, he’s never been the same again, for me. I hope he doesn’t feel slighted by this, but heed the advice.

5. Chu girl

March 12, 2015 at 8:31 am

Dayuuum girl! You went all out on Dbanj. I do hope he listens tho, cos as much as I love Dbanj, all dat noise he makes ain’t werking no more.

6. newbie

March 12, 2015 at 8:31 am

Who is this person again? But Chai! I can’t help but agree with her. After Oliver Twist things were never the same again for Dbanj. Seriously though, lots of good ideas for free right here from the lady.

7. Kayla

March 12, 2015 at 8:36 am

Its official Dbanj is doing something so great that people cant sleep anymore. They are so worried of his progress that they cant bear it anymore. Isi Biwaji or whAt ever u call urself u do have emotional issues or u are either looking for attention. Chaii

• tobechi

March 12, 2015 at 9:08 am

the lady kayla, this is not hating. this is truth been told in both black, white and coloured print. d’ban never had a musical talent. he is more of a comical and fashionable individual.. folks should stop deceiving him all in the name of being faithful fans

• Tunde

March 12, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Its people like you that hate this young man. You see a drowning man and instead of you help him out, you are here urging him on till he drowns. All him to take advice.

8. yemi

March 12, 2015 at 8:39 am

This isn’t hating, this is hitting the nail on the head.

9. Personal Signature

March 12, 2015 at 8:49 am

“I might not be a fan, but I liked your shoes at your first MTV Award”

That statement says it all about you.

1. I have never heard your name before (Joy Isi Bewaji) but Dbanj is a house hold name. Whether he got there by not having a singing talent or not, he is known but you are a nonentity.

2. You are a hater and hater will you remain all the days of your life. If you want to advise someone, didnt your Pastor/Bible teach you that even when you want to pray or give alms, you go to a secret place? It shouldnt be public. Coming out to write an open letter shows where you belong

3. I know everyone wants to be known and come to the limelight. But for anyone who thinks the only way to be known is by bringing another person down, ahhh tell the person its a matter of time. Hatred and opposition will be waiting for you on your day of manifestation/promotion/revealing to the world

4. The guy is into so many things. If he is interested in music and want to pursue it at all cost (whether he has the talent or not), how is it your damn business? Has anyone every discouraged you to follow your passion? Doesn’t that show that you are jobless and have nothing to do with your time than standing on someone’s neck?

Joy Isi Bewaji (hope you read this) and her likes, social media has not given you the power to destroy someone, talk them down or dictate the way their lives should go. Focus on your own life!

• Taiwo

March 12, 2015 at 10:01 am

Yaff Vex?? Seems this is D’banj writing this. but let’s be honest, she told the truth.
      I recently watched a playback of all of D’banj’s songs on Mtv Base, and truth be told, he went downhill after Oliver Twist.

• Flora

March 12, 2015 at 11:43 am

The question is not whether it is true or not….it is the manner in which she speaks her so-called truth. Must it be an open letter? IS she just trying to seek attention or what? Maybe DBanj is just singing because he love to and not for money or fame or whatever. He already has all of that…Who be she sef? Non-entity writing open letter to the koko master.
      P.S: No be Dbanj write this comment oh i beg.

• Personal Signature

March 12, 2015 at 2:31 pm

I am not Dbanj, we are not related!
      You watched a playback of all Dbanj’s song? He is important that is why you watched, He must have been a trail blazer to have gotten your attention.

Joy is a controversial person you can read her tweets from these links!
      Here you go, 2mins of fame but a humiliating and degrading fame.
      I wonder how you will be able to sleep at night

aomosale.blogspot.com/2013/12/joy-isi-bewaji-hits-nervecompares-linda.html

aomosale.blogspot.com/search/label/Makosi%20and%20Joy%20Isi%20Bewaji

• Taiwo

March 13, 2015 at 9:34 am

@personal Signature Dont get your knickers in a bunch hon. I love D’banj and the reason i watched the D’banj throw back for an hour was cos it reminded me of how great he used to be.

• Man

March 12, 2015 at 10:58 am

Joy Bewaji is a hateful, spiteful, dubious, single and angry black woman! She has conned me out of money but I will keep that for another day

• Olu

March 12, 2015 at 1:27 pm

@Personal signature, God bless you!

• deee

March 12, 2015 at 1:56 pm

It is her opinion and u don’t have to resort to insults. Whether u like it or not, she said the truth. Plus if u had read her article well before been blinded by anger or hate, u would see where she said he should focus on other aspects of his business and leave music since it seems to be going downhill. When one has a passion for something, u will shine irrespective. Dbanj had a good producer and he lost him. Now he is on his own and we can c that the dude apparently needs to go find where he dropped his ‘passion’. #not hating#

10. oy

March 12, 2015 at 8:49 am

na wa o…

11. sandra

March 12, 2015 at 8:50 am

Haters dat wat u people re, wat hav u guys done for urselves?
    all u do is talk people down. go and make it so others can talk after all he is still pushing.

Bad belle people

12. Nigerican

March 12, 2015 at 8:58 am

All the writer did was speak truth. I hope he is open to constructive criticism and builds on his business ventures. I luv that “Feelin the N$&&@” song …but that’s cus of they bumped it @ the club one night. He should be happy someone has taken the time to tell him the truth for free, in a society/industry where everyone is too busy kissing butts. Dbanj, I am a fan, and I endorse the writers letter…don’t become like my forever loved stylplus career xoxo

13. bim

March 12, 2015 at 9:01 am

Me likey

14. jess

March 12, 2015 at 9:07 am

why do Nigerians hate to hear the truth……theres a saying thats its only ur family that can tell you your mouth is smelling……if an outsider does it becomes an insult! although Isi isnt related to D’banj….but trust me this is good stuff, think about it d’banj……no1 says you shouldnt sing again and forever, just re-strategise shikena! We all love you D’banj.
    P.S- money is the singular most important thing in life….xx

15. cos I say so

March 12, 2015 at 9:10 am

Ok so when I saw this write up,1st thing that came to mind was “about time”, this letter was well written and hit the right spot… she just said what I’ve been trying to make “some people” understand for a while but the thing no gree connect
    Then my 2nd thought was why didn’t she send him a private IG message or try to speak to him but quick on the heels of that came my 3rd thought… nobody knows her,D’banj might not even read whatever message she’s trying to get across to him… he,afterall, is the Koko Master
    So basically my sugars this is what I call a “Rude awakening” (in my Jamaican voice)…
    But wait o,i just had a 4th thought… sebi D’banj performed with Wande and Don yesterday
    Hmmmm…. I feel a 5th thought forming

16. Gbemi

March 12, 2015 at 9:12 am

I think it’s time to invent any word .. Am so tired of this hater this hater that …. Personally I think she said the truth .. Why not let dbanj pick what he can from this and stop screaming hater

17. Obafemi

March 12, 2015 at 9:23 am

Yawns* Finally, I now know who Isi Bewaji is. Strange name, sorta like HEINEKEN LOKPOBIRI! Lemme ask; isn’t he going the P.Diddy way already, with his endorsements & forays into business & agriculture?! What d’you lot even want from this brova?! If him sing, d song nor enta/he’s lost it/he’s trying too hard. If him nor kuku sing; he’s still fading out/he’s lost relevance! Isi Bewaji shoulda just written an open letter to GEJ & Obanikoro instead. Those two don’t even get as much sticks from as D’banj does! Suck it up, Bewaji!!!

18. Ewa

March 12, 2015 at 9:25 am

I hope D’banj takes some of the advise here. He has all the connections and advantage, it’s time for him to tap into the opportunities available and create a huge brand. He has so much to conquer, if only he sees.

19. Teddy

March 12, 2015 at 9:36 am

Y’all should be able to decipher ‘Constructive criticism’ from ‘Personal opinion’, while I cannot deny that there are aspects of this letter I agree with, however I totally disagree with the insinuation that D’banj is incapable of making another hit song. Your reference or comparison to Diddy is fantastic but you forget that every once a while Diddy teams up with others to make hit songs and performs them at shows!
    Truth is D’banj certainly needs to re-invent himself, he needs producers and song writers who understand him as an artiste; this is what professionals do. That a man has made a few mistakes doesn’t mean he has hit rock bottom, I know a million people who will go to a show just to see the man D’banj not necessarily to hear him sing.
    D’banj has more going for him than you know, he simply needs to find a balance so that his fans can get the very best of him in whatever he chooses to do.

20. Pat

March 12, 2015 at 9:50 am

But why all these silly talk about Dbanj. I am not a huge fan but there is no doubt he has entertained us over the years. I am guessing Dbanj’s star must be too bright that’s why some people are restless and keep saying the same meaningless stuff over and over. Whether he has a hit song or not, whatever he chose to do with his career is his business. Whether he becomes an entrepreneur or continue to sing or open a rehab center for these haters to have access to free psychological evaluation. I bet he never consulted any of these people writing this stuff before he decided to start making music 10yrs ago neither will he have to consult this peeps on his career journey. So of what significance is all this talk for.

21. hilda

March 12, 2015 at 10:10 am

Top of the world was a GREAT hit.. feeling the nigga is also a hit (been on replay since) i find it hard to believe any artist is incapable of a great. hit things change inspiration come-up no 1 is a total write off. he could still go into the bizness section and still do great songs. ps i wasnt going to listen to any thing u wrote after “” D’banj has struggled. Oh dear! Every song- and you can see that he lost sleep, sweated blood, outdid himself, and upped his braggadocio, STILL a hit track has eluded him like sanity eludes the streets of Lagos”” LIKE SERIOUSLY THAT WAS LOW AND NOT NICE. if u want to give constructive criticism give without using words that will make the person feel HATE

22. Joe

March 12, 2015 at 10:24 am

And D’banj is graciously smiling over her comment…some people just can’t get a grip of their hate…

23. Sonia

March 12, 2015 at 10:55 am

Dear Joy Bewaji,

Keep your hateful rants on Facebook. #bitterleaf

24. facts!

March 12, 2015 at 10:57 am

Some times I wonder why lately its d ladies dats are d ones attacking dbanj or advicing per say.
    Joy hw did u know he has dated big men daughters ? Even frm d contest of ur writing u didn’t mean well. Not to worry. We will dig dirt on u nd published it, nd u will see hw it feels been advised awkwardly

25. poison ivy

March 12, 2015 at 11:42 am

@ Hilda, Top of the world, I know, feeling the boy, I’ve never heard of.
    Dude is drowning,
    I personally think he should hire this lady, like a personal adviser or something
    Oooh and the part where she mentions his “wandering manhood” was epic!!
    Yes, am not a fan, dude cannot sing to save a life.

26. Olusola

March 12, 2015 at 11:54 am

Please let D’banj beeeeeeeeee.

• Tosin

March 12, 2015 at 12:06 pm

I didn’t really read the article. Already read one a few weeks ago, so, we got the idea, opinions on what D’Banj should do.
      One love for D’Banj. And respect to all.

27. Amadioha

March 12, 2015 at 12:15 pm

To all of u killing people emotionally, & destroying people’s self esteem online may ur life remain a topic of ridicule to the whole world, may ur career never know happiness , may the devil visit u & live with u parmanently, as long as u ll not mind ur own business may the devil be ur business partner …….who re u to judge DBanj ? Re u God?. I dare u to write another nonsense on DBang again & u ll run mad, we ll surely give u something to worry about since u re jobless.

• puzzles

March 12, 2015 at 1:48 pm

haba! be careful of the kinds of words u use o. you think God in heaven will be happy with what u just wrote? the lady wrote her personal opinion. you don’t have to curse. write ur own, shikena.

that’s how someone made a comment, cursing some celeb for having a girlfriend cos she liked him. ha!

• mandhip

March 12, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Amen so shall it be

• ms.b

March 12, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I am very certain u criticise other celebs u don’t like also. But since dbanj is one u love, u r quick to curse others on his behalf. Quiet a dumb n stupid comment. May u recieve triple what u mentioned for every celeb or anybody u have ever criticised online or offline.

28. ivyleague

March 12, 2015 at 12:51 pm

VERY TRUE…this is the best advice anyone can give dbanj…..i like dbanj…i don’t know any song he has sang since he left Mohits…sigh

29. usher tech

March 12, 2015 at 1:03 pm

#fact: the truth about forever is that nothing last for ever.

30. Olu

March 12, 2015 at 1:37 pm

@Amadioha, I say amen to your prayers

31. 'tayo

March 12, 2015 at 1:37 pm

@facts! I love your ingrish language sha. #contest better go buy brighter grammar.

• facts

March 12, 2015 at 2:39 pm

@tayo I made dat comment when my phone battery ws under 2%. So I didnt edit my comment before it ws hurriedly posted. So pardon me. Nevertheless my thots ws communicated well enough

32. pastordkoko

March 12, 2015 at 2:04 pm

D truth is wat av you done 4 ur life nd families. You said d’banj av dated a lot of rich man daughters d question here is were you among d lady d guy dated over d years hmmmmmm. D’banj I knw dat you be hustler and may God bless ur hustle nd my hustle too. AMEN.

33. T girl

March 12, 2015 at 2:21 pm

@madam Isi Bewaji, leave D’banji out of your cheap publicity stunt. People like Nice (alapomeji) ‘Wande coal and Dare Art Alade need your advise.

• lol

March 12, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Lol. At least 9ice lives in his own house and wont have to worry about paying rent for the rest of his life but we can’t say the same for dbanj.lol

34. ms.b

March 12, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Every body is a hater this days. If u r about to slip and fall n sum1 alerts u b4 it happens, d person becomes a hater. Most of ya’all don’t even know d meaning of “hate” talk more of “hater”.

• Amadioha

March 12, 2015 at 3:37 pm

@ Ms. b Amadioha ll visit u if u don’t stop d hate ..just watch out

35. Tkum

March 12, 2015 at 4:41 pm

like a friend of mine who lives in boston would say, “Dbanj money na audio oo…dem no dey see am”…i rest my case here

36. Jojo

March 12, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Free him jooo. It’s a free world and he can do as he pleases. Yes the re are consequences
    but that is life.

37. Endowed

March 13, 2015 at 3:30 am

lol but it’s true though, don’t bother listening to his songs again and not even don Jazzy can make me

38. DADDY

April 20, 2015 at 12:35 am

If i had time i would reply her open letter but the things i would say might make her think that her life is an error. For all you bad belle out there before you open your dirty mouth, judge yourself first!

39. kay

April 20, 2015 at 12:55 am

d banj is out dere makin his own money.. u people are nw askin him to reinvent himself.. let me ask you guys “wer u people d on dat gave him advice to enter into d music industry?”.
    xo hater pls jst keep quite nd advice urself on how to make ur life betta.

40. kay

April 20, 2015 at 12:56 am

d banj is out dere makin his own money.. u people are nw askin him to reinvent himself.. let me ask you guys “wer u people d one dat gave him advice to enter into d music industry?”.
    xo hater pls jst keep quite nd advice urself on how to make ur life betta.