Relationships

From Colleagues to “Ride or Die” Friends! Kemi Lala Akindoju on Her Career, OC Ukeje & Wearing a Suit at His Wedding

OC Ukeje & Ibukun Togonu Wedding | BellaNaija | November 2014 024.IMG_7279

Kemi Lala Akindoju, the groom OC Ukeje and bride, Ibukun

It’s heartwarming to see industry colleagues forming real relationships!

Kemi Lala Akindoju and OC Ukeje are good friends, and that was apparent at the A-List actor’s wedding last year, where Lala was a ‘groom’s maid’.

The actress spoke to Tribune recently about her breakout role on Tinsel, her hobbies, how she copes in a male-dominated industry and more!

Here are some excerpts:

How do you cope in a male dominated industry?

I don’t see myself as a woman, I see myself as a person. If I want to do something, I just do it. I don’t know about coping but I thrive on multi-tasking and as for me, the essence of who I am is doing all these things at the same time, for me I don’t think anything is impossible. I never say never, and I don’t take no for an answer.

You caused an uproar on twitter last year for being OC Ukeje’s best man, why did you decide to be his best man?

I wasn’t his best man, I was his groom’s maid. Which is a merger of a groom’s man and a bride’s maid and OC Ukeje is my bestie, he is my guy and so, when your guy is getting married, you wear a suit. We have been planning that wedding day for years, and we had agreed that I will wear a suit to his wedding and not a dress, and when he finally chose a wife, she knew that I was going to put on a suit at their wedding.

OC Ukeje & Ibukun Togonu Wedding | BellaNaija | November 2014 025.IMG_7290So she didn’t have a problem with you standing right behind her husband?

I didn’t stand behind him, I was on the train with the guys, just that I wore a suit. I cannot even imagine wearing a dress to OC’s wedding, Why would I?, he is my ride or die guy.

Read the full interview on Tribune!

Photo Credit: Insigna Media

1. mama mia

March 11, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Your ride or die kwa? Ok

2. Nene

March 11, 2015 at 6:37 pm

That moment when you realize you are in love with your best-friend but it its too late either because he does not see you like that or he found his love. Then you make up reasons to needlessly hang around him. Not that that’s what is happening here, I am just here commenting from the sidelines with judgy raised eyebrows and a question mark on my face.

• iba

March 11, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Someone got to write about this. Mehnnnnnnnnnnn, she seems like a lovely lady and i like the suit on her. But damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, i’d hate for my hubby’s best friend to be a girl – oops sorry!

3. Anon

March 11, 2015 at 6:39 pm

His wife may be okay with the whole thing.

4. o

March 11, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Hmmm BN, why is it that part of the interview you are focusing on??!!

5. eyong

March 11, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Why are Africans so pessimistic. Is there a rule that says that people with different genitalia can’t have lasting relationships as “just friends” or is it because you were stupid while dating that one guy who had all those “friends” that you feel that applies to everybody? Why you dey get headache over another person matter? Obviously, his wife knows about their relationship, she is fine with it. So, why are you worried for her? She ask for your help? Mtcheeewww

P.s. Speaking as someone with a “just friends” for the past eleven years.

• Ms Geeky 30

March 11, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Yes eyong, there are rules of proper behaviour and good etiquette. Some things are just not appropriate no matter how much you try to justify them and this is one of those things.

• eyong

March 11, 2015 at 10:52 pm

And since when did their friendship become inappropriate, please, give me details. Does he sleep ove at her house, do they take showers together? Does he priotize her over his wife? Yes? No? Exactly, you don’t know. Because you’re not in their lives, you’re just looking from outside. Now, would this be such an issue is she had a penis? Ofcourse, not. So, there it is. Women always talking about equality, then finding reasons to contradict themselves. And what is appropriate for you is not necessarily appropriate for others. Please, take yoyrsllves out of people’ss marriages o. The girl knew his best friend was female before walking down that isle. And talkinf about good behaviour and proper etiquette, I hope you don’t work, stay at home and give birth to however many babies your husband wants. Make sure there’s a boy in there somewhere. Also Make sure you’re always ready to hump wjen he wants, and always have his food ready before he comes home. According to my great grandmother that’s proper etiquette and good behavior for a lady.

• Ms Geeky 30

March 12, 2015 at 4:09 am

Sorry eyong but you have to come back at me with a more eloquent response. Not to be mean but i am not sure what you are getting at. What does feminism and gender equality have to do with male/female friendships? You lost me on that one. Incidentally, if you go back and read any or all of my previous comments on bn, you’ll realise that i am very much a feminist and a proud one at that.

As for appropriate standards of behaviour in this context, yes that equates to when a person (male or female) is married or in a serious commited relationship, you institute boundaries. You show your age and immaturity by assuming that sex or any of the other points you mentioned are the only types of inappropriate behaviour there could be within a relationship or friendship.

And oh i do work although i am lost once again on what you are trying to insinuate here. Are you trying to say that women who choose to stay home to raise their babies are somehow less than those who choose to work? My personal preference is to work but that is a personal choice. It does not make me better or less than anyone else.

On that note, I am out! I will not be commenting on this post again. To quote Marilyne Robinson in the death of adam- “We routinely disqualify that would plead for extenuation i.e. We are all so persuaded of the rightness of our judgement as to invalidate evidence that does not confirm us in it”.

• Moving on Swiftly

March 12, 2015 at 9:45 am

Well done bae @ Ms Geeky. I have been saying it since that this irritating “my best friend is a girl and I am a guy who is married” liason between Osi and Lala is questionable. *raised eyebrows* Abeg don’t tell me nonsense (in dbanj’s voice)…. See what happened in that film, the Bestman….. with Taye diggs and Nia long.

Lala, whilst that can work when he was single it just raises questions now that he is married. How do you want the wife to feel? ….. no matter how confident she is. Bikonu, my husband must make sure I am his female best friend.

• eyong

March 12, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Funny, I wrote a very long reply, then I realized it’s really nothing I hadn’t already addressed in my previous posts. If you fail to graps what is written in plain English, then that speaks more about your immaturity not mine. Making defensive feminist claims which i didn’t even challenge just goes to prove the fact that your way of thinkig is very skewd. AND TO AL YOU INSECURE WOMEN OUT THERE, ITS NOT THE FEMALE BEST FRIENDS HE IDARED TO INTRODUCE YOU TO YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT, TRUST ME, IF A MAN DECIDES TO CHEAT ON YOU, THERE’S NOTHING IN HELL YOU CAN DO TO STOP HIM. Spend more time working on building trust in your partnership instead of chasing shadows without bodies. Insecurity tins.

6. Ewa

March 11, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I don’t understand this their triangle….

• Na Wa O!

March 11, 2015 at 7:32 pm

I don’t understand it either and it doesn’t sit well with me at all – I don’t think its appropriate at all.

7. pearl

March 11, 2015 at 7:07 pm

@.eyong I hear U * with raised eyebrows.* nd who told U his wife is okay with it. In d world today it’s difficult to find jst frends. Even if one party sees it as jst frends d oda mostly hav feeling unspoken of. So biko make ur wife, husband, gf, bf, fiance, fiancee ur bestie. Chikina

• eyong

March 11, 2015 at 11:16 pm

If she wasn’t okay with it then why date the fuy for all those years? Why marry him sef? Please this girl is a dmedicql student, not some ignorant bush girl, let’s give her proper credit.

8. Ms Geeky 30

March 11, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Okay, so I have been trying not to disparage or give a biased opinion on the relationship between Kemi and OC but her response to the question on being his groom’s maid really doesn’t sit well with me at all. It just reads like a “self satisfied I knew him before he knew his wife and so therefore I am more important” type response.

First of all Kemi, the wife has a name and you should have used it when you made the comment -‘When he decided to choose a wife’. If for example, you had said when he decided to marry (insert name of wife), your response would have read a lot better.

Secondly, what was that about his wife knew you would be wearing a suit to their wedding as if it was a final decision between yourself and OC and she had no say or veto on the matter?

I could go on but bottom line is this- You lot are way too close. Men and women can be and should be friends but there is a limit to said ‘closeness’ after you reach adulthood and begin committed relationships. Maturity is realizing this and acting accordingly. His wife should be his only ride or die female and when you get married yourself Kemi, your husband should be the only ride or die male in your life.

Trust me when I say this is going to be an issue for all parties involved if you don’t deal with it now and set some boundaries especially as OC is in a long distance marriage.

• Iamme

March 12, 2015 at 5:00 am

Best comment out here!

• Omo1

March 12, 2015 at 9:23 am

I totally love your comment. This is reality!

• ogeAdiro

March 12, 2015 at 12:17 pm

What I understood from her reply was that OC’s wife was fine with their friendship. You do know that human relationships are unique? No two relationships are ever the same. What works for them might not work for some of us. Until either OC, his wife, or Kemi comes out to tell us different, why don’t we give them the benefit of doubt and accept that they’re doing just fine? I know it can be difficult not to impose our views on others but we need to be mindful of our individual and collective differences.

• Chioma

March 12, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Ms Geeky why are u analyzing people’s marriage like this. You have aired your opinion so why the further analysis that it will be a problem in their marriage. Please put a sock in it! Oc n lala hv been friends far back so if nothing happened btw them then, why shld it happen now. They also happen to work in the same industry so bcos he is married he shld toss his friends away? You sit there saying oc and lala are so close just bcos u see them at the same industry party, take photos etc. Lastly, u only heard lala say ‘her best friend’ did u hear Oc say it?

• Chioma

March 12, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Also, do you think Oc is stupid not to know his limits.

• Olope

March 13, 2015 at 1:19 am

You stole my points. Lol. I agree with you intoto. Not to disparage their relationship because I have nothing against cross gender bestirs, but her responses were so off-putting. Like she feels she has priority over the wife, who homeboy just “found” somewhere. As someone who has more friends from the opposite sex, I say boundaries need to be established here, going by her tone as presented in the article. The bride mat very well be okay with the relationship, but the tone and this sense of entitlement to someone else’s man is inappropriate.

This has nothing to do with sex at all. I agree with you again: it shows the age and level of maturity of those reducing this to “they may not be having sex” issue. Even a male friend should not have the level of entitlement she seems to have to the guy on another person’s husband.

• Olope

March 13, 2015 at 1:24 am

You stole my points. Lol. I agree with you intoto. Not to disparage their relationship because I have nothing against cross gender besties, but her responses were so off-putting. Like she feels she has priority over the wife, who homeboy just “found” somewhere. As someone who has more friends of the opposite sex, I say boundaries need to be established here, going by her tone as presented in the article. The bride may very well be okay with the relationship, but the tone and this air of entitlement to someone else’s man is inappropriate.

9. mogbomoya

March 11, 2015 at 7:22 pm

This is another “kuch kuch hota hai” story. anybody watched that Indian movie?

• nira

March 11, 2015 at 7:37 pm

@mogbomoya, lmaoooooo….kuch kuch hota hai indeed.

• puzzles

March 12, 2015 at 7:13 am

my dear, I sincerely hope not. I’ve been in Anjali’s shoes and it’s not a good place to be in.

10. i no send

March 11, 2015 at 7:29 pm

no sir…ain’t no female best friend for my hubby sha…..wont be comfortable except she is over 70 thank you..

• na beans to drop 16

April 9, 2015 at 7:44 pm

be careful of over 70s as well. those women are fiesty

11. ara

March 11, 2015 at 8:12 pm

THIS BABE SOUNDS LIKE A CHILD!

12. SEEN ALL

March 11, 2015 at 8:36 pm

I would have said its okay for my hubby to have a ride or die female friend but I hate sharing my food hmm!

13. TruthBeTold

March 11, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Please lets all be adults here. Aint nobody want a ‘ride or die’ female hanging around their husband especially now when its so difficult to find genuine friends. If this Kemi girl had any respect for her friendship with O.C and for his wife as well she would have easily worn a dress or given them space. It was the wife’s special day but u barged in and stole the show by doing something unusual. Then the way you have clearly disregarded the wife in this interview sister hmmmm the thunder that will fire you is still doing press ups.

Lastly, the suit issue is just wrong because we are nigerians and there are certain ways things are done. You went and dressed as a man and stood with the guys shey you want to be treated like a man? Tomorrow you will come and say that you cannot find a good man because all men are jerks whereas its you that asked to be treated that way. Please take a sit dear. P.S Before the wedding I never knew who this girl was and i still don’t know who she is or wat she does.

• iba

March 11, 2015 at 9:43 pm

I feel so bad for saying this but i agree with the first part of your point. Plus really i have no idea who Kemi is too. Oops!

• eyong

March 11, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Whether you know her or not is not the point, obviously she’s well known enough to be on bellanaija and to attend red carpet events. But wait o, did you jist say because she is nigerian things are expected of her? As in the same nigeria that values a woman by whether or not she has a son? The same nigeria that has boko haram killing hundreds of people daily without a clue howbto stop it? The same nigeria that can barely keep lights on for a week straight? If you want to hate, do so objectively, or else you just sound bitter. So that you’re talking, are yoy married? And your biggest concern is what someone wore t their best friends wedding? You, my dear, are a clear example of what is wrong with Nigeria.

14. word

March 11, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Anty blah blah, marry first now, lets see how a man will let u keep riding and die-ing another man. It’s d naivety, calmness, or wotever icewaterness of Mrs Ukeje dt is giving bla bla confidence…all those canada butter thinz. If OC had married a proper naija bred lagos/abuja residing lady, u will ride where?…how?

15. Shopperoflife

March 11, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Insipid insecure women! That is how ya all go creating unnecessary tension where there is none. Kemi is OC’s bestie simple. It is not always possible that your spouse is your bestie. There are occasions when ur bestie is a person of the opposite sex and no shagging. My bestie is male and he is my ride or die. Fake ass women, ur bestie is your spouse wait until he cheats on you. Bestie is that one person who is there and will be there for u no matter what. Someone who knows what even your spouse does not know. Will not spill on you. Someone you can tell every and anything. Biko, how many of your spouses know your body count? I don’t see any hands up. But ur bestie does. Hypocrites Oshi.

• adeanon

March 11, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Welcome Kemi….

• eyong

March 11, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Finally! Someone else with common sense on this page, I tought I was fightig the bestie fight alone. Hahaha, I have two besfriends one is male the other female, and I swear, nothing has ever gone down between us, but for some reason all these insecure girls make it so hard for her. Someone I dated actually ganged up wih her friends o physically assault her, as in, what he hell is wrong wih you insecure women. And no, we don’t give off a romantic vibe, she’s very much a tomboy. So now I have to make sure to TELL any girl right on the firat date thay my bestie is female, just to avoid any wahala. Smh. Insecurity will be the end of the female gender.

• Ms Geeky 30

March 11, 2015 at 11:26 pm

LOL! Sorry but, how old are you? You need to prepare for a rude awakening love.
      Please come back and tell b’ners about it when it happens because it just might serve as a lesson to many out there who think like you do.
      Yes, in case you are wondering I used to be you until I grew “the heck” up.

• BffLife

March 12, 2015 at 1:06 am

Exactly! Your partner should be your best friend first and foremost every other person should be secondary you cannot eat your cake n have it .

• Zara

March 12, 2015 at 9:31 am

Because I am toooooo tired to type..the only thing I hv for you is YIMU…

• Unimaginable

March 12, 2015 at 9:44 am

Are you married? Can you honestly tell yourself (not me or us) that if your husband’s “ride or die” friend talks about you like that in an interview, “…when he finally chose a wife…”, that you would just laugh it off outwardly (and INDEED in your mind) when you read it? If you can, then there’s no problem.

Secondly, this Lala girl should not use her own mouth to bury her almost non-existent career. She oughta know that PR is everything and that you’ve gotta ALWAYS think FIRST about how the viewers (fans?) will perceive your comments. She should be very careful.

• Oma

March 12, 2015 at 10:14 am

Kemi…LALA We are sorry nor vex abeg.. but go and find another ride and Die..

• TA

March 12, 2015 at 3:51 pm

@ Shopperoflife You said and I quote ” Bestie is that one person who is there and will be there for u no matter what. Someone who knows what even your spouse does not know. Will not spill on you. Someone you can tell every and anything.” This your definition of bestie reads like it should be your husband. Since you have a no-holds barred relationship with your bestie, why not just marry him or her? If he or she does not have feelings for you or you for him/her. Then you need a new bestie one you can marry!!! Most persons on this thread are not saying it is impossible to have a bestie of the opposite sex, they are just saying that when that ‘bestie’ gets married, please, be kind enough to look for a new bestie. Yes you can still be friends but do not expect the same level or depth of closeness to a person of the opposite sex who is not your spouse! It will become an unhealthy relationship.

And just in case you did not know, it is not possible for a guy and a girl to stay just friends (platonic) , forever. Feelings change as people do. Even if your feelings for your friend never leaves the platonic stage, your friend (of the opposite sex) may develop feelings for you, then what? You might say but I know myself and I have never ever entertained romantic feelings for my bestie, true that. But can you say same for your bestie now ? what about tomorrow? will he or she tell you if their feelings for you change esp if you are not emotionally free at that time?Aha! Therein lies your answer.

• Shopperoflife

March 12, 2015 at 8:48 pm

U did not include ‘the body count’ part in the quotation o…..Been married for 12 years, bestie too. He loves his wife die dead. No romantic thots ever- nada! I’m not getting a divorce in this life time- Oga ain’t going anywhere either. Bestie’s are the kind of friends u come across once in a life time. You should be lucky if you find a real one. And no you cannot find a new or another bestie in exchange. It just doesn’t happen like that.

• timbolo

March 13, 2015 at 4:22 am

[And just in case you did not know, it is not possible for a guy and a girl to stay just friends (platonic) , forever]

Wondering how u arrived at this conclusion. Study design please? Sample size? Would like to see your questionnaires too. Was it a longitudinal study. I mean, you did say forever. So did you follow a cohort over time?

Just pointing out that your statement is rather absurd. Maybe in your own little world but to extrapolate it to the whole wide world……

16. tlo

March 11, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Dear shopper of life, try and shop for some sense. U r clearly the one who is insecure. The reason you would make another man your bestie when u have a partner. Wat is ur partner ther for? To complete ur life equation? I wonder where u got that queer mindset from. U exchange vows to spend the rest of ur life with some one and u tink it is a joke. It is pple like u who enta marriage with no idea of what it is about, make a mess of it and leave many with odd views about it.

• Shopperoflife

March 12, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I did a loooong time ago and set my priorities right. It’s women like you that end up in every church doing night vigil while praying for every female around ur man to fall down and die. When u marry and if u already are Biko learn to chill and look up the meaning of best friend. Google is ur friend. Thank me later.

17. olufemi

March 11, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Like seriously?
    @ shopperoflife, thank. you for your comments. Nigerians have a miopic mind toward everything. Purlease! I am almost 50, and had nothing but guy friends in college. They are all still my bestie to date. I let my.hubby know about them, and they reach out to him an vice versa. I am particularly close to one of them, and my hubby is very good friends with him.
    Like I said, keep an open mind toward life . It is very possible to have that kinda relationship with no strings attached. My best best guy friend always look out for me. We hang out with other guy friends when I’m around.
    I personally feel to each his own, again we’ve been since our teenage years.
    It’s not always about sex etc with every boy/girl relationship, live and let live. If you are comfortable with yourself, in skin, then I don’t think it would bother you that your hubby has a good female friend. I am.actually good friends with a girl that my hubby grew up.with abs is good friends with.
    Again, please stop acting like lala did the unthinkable.
    Ain’t nothing wrong with her! Be more open my Nigerian people.
    Life is too short to live it according to old medieval times.

• Omo1

March 12, 2015 at 9:21 am

Nigerians are miopic? Did you ever see the movie “My Best Friend’s Wedding” staring Julia Roberts?

18. Jay

March 11, 2015 at 11:25 pm

I jes dey observe, dey laugh… What are you riding? And who? Why are you riding him? Is he your own? I think those are the right questions to ask. I had someone I was this close to. Peeps even thought we were dating, but the moment I knew he was getting married to someone he really loved, omo, I moved and gave them space. That’s the respectable thing for a woman to do for another woman. Obviously, you don’t respect your ‘besties’ wife. And who tells you she’s fine with it? She is seriously praying to God for a man to quickly marry you biko! #thinking very aloud

• Olufemi

March 12, 2015 at 1:42 am

Please …. Again to each his own, But to think that because you took the high road everybody else will is wrong. A lot of marriages are nothing but pretense, for once let everybody be who they are. Not because you are married etc, I personally make better friends with guys and i have since childhood. Mu husband has female friends and i have not for once wondered about them, I reach out to them and they reach out to me.
      The more the merrier, we all hang out together and have fun as friends. My best guy friend lives in Nigeria and I reside in the US, my hubby stays with him when he is home and I do the same when I go home,. There has to be the level of trust for it to work, if there is no trust, then obviously, it won’t work.

• Alexis

March 12, 2015 at 6:13 am

@Olufemi the more the merrier for the marriage or where?

• Manny

March 12, 2015 at 4:34 am

But wait, how did you people come to the conclusion that she doesn’t give them space …… based on the short post above?
      Maybe she shouldn’t have said “ride or die” guy. Maybe she shouldn’t have said we agreed on me wearing a suit before she came along. Maybe indeed, she has feelings for him.
      But how can people conclude that she doesn’t give them space or she is threatening their marriage based on what we have read????
      If you know these people firsthand, fine but based on the post, haba! Let’s not sow seeds of discord where there might be none.
      And yes, one can have a really close friend of the opposite sex while respecting boundaries. However, boundaries are fluid based on culture and whatnots, so yes, be mindful of that. And your spouse does not have to be your only bestie. Your chief bestie yes but please have other best/good friends that can provide different perspectives.

• Olope

March 13, 2015 at 1:40 am

that’s exactly what I do when close friends of the opposite sex marry (they all are now): gave them space where I couldn’t find a common ground with their spouse, or became friends with the spouse. In some cases, the spouses became closer friends than the initial friend. It’s, in my opinion, the respectable thing to do.

19. tunmi

March 12, 2015 at 2:30 am

So men can’t have women as best friends now ehn? Chale, men and women have seriously suffered.

20. Efee

March 12, 2015 at 2:49 am

Eyong & Olufemi…God bless you both! It just baffles me this our tendency to be so extreme, negative and one track-minded in our reasoning or establishing basis for arguments. I can almost bet that there are way more females who have encountered a cheating bf or spouse with no “female bestie” in sight…whether in the past o or present. There are a million and one things that test the trust between 2 partners…with opposite sex tins/issues just being one. Anything can lead to something and somethings lead nowhere….Haba!!!

21. Manny

March 12, 2015 at 4:42 am

adeanon, this common supposition that the person of interest is the one anonymously defending him/herself is the product of a mind devoid of imagination.

22. ehn

March 12, 2015 at 6:14 am

@ olufemi. Did u say u r almost 50? Why do I have a hard time believing u? Your diction.
    And did u come back as olufemi in Upper case?
    *watching wit side eye*

• Unimaginable

March 12, 2015 at 9:51 am

I noticed the same thing too. Imagine someone almost 50 saying “Purlease”…

23. jefka

March 12, 2015 at 6:21 am

i have a bestie too……n myyyyy he is a hunk
    i am very inluv with my bestie, but i aint wearing a suit to his wedding which is coming up next year……
    n i am also distancing myself bcz, i knw my place in hs life and i am staying in my boundary.
    Anty Kemi, its very difficult to v a bestie with d opposite sex with no emotions involved.
    besties is the word used to describe a male and a female who one v unsaid feelings but cant do anything about it.
    biko, leave dem alone…………ur own will come, and lets see if OC will wear a dress to ur wedding.

• anjiesmum

March 12, 2015 at 9:40 am

dress to the wedding got me in stitches now that would be a sight

• Moving on Swiftly

March 12, 2015 at 9:47 am

Hhahahhahahaha. ABI?!!!

• Unimaginable

March 12, 2015 at 9:50 am

*kisses* lmaoooooooooooo @ OC wearing a dress to her wedding!!!!!

24. nne

March 12, 2015 at 7:24 am

I do not think it is wise to make another person ‘ur bestie’ when he/she is not ur partner.
    It creates room for emotional unfaithfulness.
    No matter how we deny it, it takes away a chunk of closeness that is supposed to be between u and ur partner. U guys might be married still but u knw it is more like co-existing.
    Romance can easily surface in such friendships. Increasing the chances of sexual infidelity.
    None of these is healthy for any marriage. This is the reason why it is advised one marries one’s bestfriend. Some one u can share ANYTHING with. Marriage is more dan just a man and a woman living together. It involves a lot.
    Moreso, genuine friends are hard to come by. U may have nothing in mind, bt the oda party may have developed feelings that are yet to be expressed.
    I know smtyms some pple turn to oda pple for comfort in a case where they do not get adequate attention from their partners. Bt trust me wen I say, it spells more pain than gain.
    It is best the lines are drawn. And yes, marriage is serios like dat.

25. Anonymous

March 12, 2015 at 8:57 am

Ride or die indeed! If you try this near my hubby you will really die. Tchewwwwwwww

• chigirl

March 12, 2015 at 9:38 am

I just died! ROTFL
      @anon tew funny!!

• o

March 12, 2015 at 10:11 am

buhahahahahahahaha……omo!!! you ppl are too funny on BN

• jide

March 12, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Haha. Amen somebody. All marriage monitoring spirits disguised as ride or die friends begin to sommersault and die.

26. JustAgirl

March 12, 2015 at 9:19 am

What does she mean..””I cannot even imagine wearing a dress to OC’s wedding, Why would I?, like the choice of clothing would change anything?.
    Anyway..there is NO WAY I’m going to allow my husband have a female bestie. As singles, its okay..but for the married, its NOT healthy! If your partner cannot be your best friend then why the heck are you choosing to spend the rest of your life with them?!.
    If you decide to have a best friend other than your husband/wife..it is advised to be someone of same sex.

And for all those preaching hypocrisy..I’ll rather tag it reality. Put yourself in the shoes before you come out to blab! In the end, it is whatever works for you.

March 12, 2015 at 9:54 am

I bet most people saying they have besties of the opposite sex do not have a close bonding relationship with their spouse. Instead of you to focus on your relationship with your partners you are coming here to justify rubbish.

27. Peyton

March 12, 2015 at 9:20 am

I have no issues with being best friends or whatever my best ie is male and we have been be sties for over 13 years when we were much younger we had issues balancing our friendship as we got older we were able to define our rlshp and boundaries. However I also believe in being reasonable I have issues with the entire interview. And I for one do not think all these was necessary. You don’t have to explain yourself to any one or your friendship to any one. Neither do you need to hang out all the time to be besties. A simple interview may seem harmless but it raised more questions and casts the friendship into the public eye. Stop defending or explaining your friendship it’s unnecessary and stop allowing the media create a hype that dosent exist. Your friendship with O.C. isn’t anyone’s business. And lastly stop referring to your self as a ride or die
    The thing aibout friendship is you don’t need to proclaim it it is there your friend knows you have their back it is silent unspoken you just know. My best ie currently resides outside this country but when I have an issue and need to talk he listens and encourages me and vice versa. Your true friends know you they just know.

28. sjs

March 12, 2015 at 9:32 am

its amazing to see people pick apart someone they hardly know and make a conference out of it. any one who knows Lala and OC from Unilag,Sovereign army,Levites days will know they have always been friends and have both dated different people and still stayed just friends. if that is too difficult for your mind to comprehend then its your problem. there is no triangle whatsoever. its simply not fair to judge or make assumptions when you do not even know these people.

29. anjiesmum

March 12, 2015 at 9:39 am

I do agree she kind of took the spotlight off the bride and insinuated “i knew him before the bride”nothing wrong being friends with the opposite sex as long as you give due respect to their partner and try putting yourself in the partners shoes. I had a very close friend i withdrew from after he married nothing dramatic but unlike before i would not call after a certain time or ask him to be my escort to an event just little courtesy to the wife. I am now married and do not regret taking steps back from my friend

• Anon20

March 12, 2015 at 9:51 am

You made the right decision. That is what any sensible person would do. I would advise that instead of Kemi trying to drive home an “”I knew him before the wife came in”” kind of point. She should respect their union.

I might not know for sure how it goes down between them. But from her response, she doesn’t seem like she is giving the deserved respect to OC’s wife. you can still maintain your friendship, with boundaries! And certainly not with this “”ride or die”‘, seemingly competitive kind of mentality.

30. Personal Signature

March 12, 2015 at 10:11 am

From time immemorial, ladies have been ladies freinemy!

Many of you have a “ride or die” male friend even as you write all these

God is watching you in 70d

31. Fanny

March 12, 2015 at 10:26 am

Chei! This babe don suffer! Babe if I were you, I would watch the way I talk next time. You obviously ran your mouth too much. #simpletruth Life lesson: Bridle your tongue!!

32. cleo

March 12, 2015 at 10:48 am

I always held Kemi in high esteem but this interview she granted has killed my respect for her.
    She needs PR assistance in her life. She goofed big time.
    She either has bad friends who are not advising her well on how to relate with a married man or she is deficient in Social relationships.
    She claims to be OCs best friend but did not mention any where of being friends with his marriage. In this red carpet appearance last year, it is obvious that Kemi is not extending the friendship to Ibukun. In this event http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/01/24/oc-ukeje-wife-ibukun-togonu-step-out-for-the-first-time-at-gone-too-far-movie-premiere/ i did not see Kemi snap with Ibukun. Even though Ibukun snapped with other actresses at the show. Because if you are OCs guy you would have snapped with his wife.
    And then OC wears a pink suit suit and you wear a blue suit!!!!!!!! No comment
    Don’t worry Ibukun is silent working on that ride or die relationship. It will soon be over. Soon i say.
    Please Kemi his wife’s name is Ibukun please refer to her by her name.
    Get married and make sure your husband has a female BFF.
    Are we even sure OC refers to you in that light. It seems you are the only one shouting BFF.
    You are building your career, dont ruin it by poor PR.
    My N500 thoughts.

33. Miss CJ

March 12, 2015 at 12:07 pm

I remember smiling to myself when I first read this interview in Tribune. I knew every word of hers will be ripped apart.I don’t know her so I give her the benefit of doubt and ask that she learns to properly articulate her thoughts on this matter. I have a bestie and yes He is MALE. Both families/partners know how close we are. Most of his male friends know me.There were times I could go to his house unannounced to chill but when he started dating, na ‘GF i dey call o.Initially his GF had an issue with the friendship but when she met me,she realised I was not interested in her bobo. Now they are married,If i wan visit, sometimes na WIFE i dey call o. She even calls me to visit!. I am now a FAMILY FRIEND! Don’t get me wrong, my bestie and I still talk a lot and advice ourselves.Thing is there is a lot of restrictions now and I am cool with it even though we had never been intimate before and never will be.When the trumpet blows,our spouses will be our ‘ride or die’. Ladies who have guys as besties should know that and vice-versa.

• TA

March 12, 2015 at 4:39 pm

@ Miss CJ, thank you. You have plenty sense ojare. Chop knuckle! I have almost same story. A very close friend, who was one of my besties. When he got married, I cut him off as much as I could. He obviously did same. If I have to gist or anything, I call the wife first, we talk for a few minutes and she passes the phone to him and we can gist for days. Now the wife too is my friend but her hubby and I are still closer naturally even though we don’t get together or gist as much as before, simply because I know and respect his wife as his bestie now not me. It would be totally inappropriate to still be as close as we were once upon a time.

34. Bola

March 12, 2015 at 12:08 pm

From the comments here I have re confirmed that most Nigerian men are insecure

35. jide

March 12, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Hmmmm terrestrial and celestial powers at work. OC and Ibukun with Kemi always lurking. Haha..Kemi, even you need deliverance so you can move on with your life. This does not smell right. Detach yourself from ths couple pls

36. Rynyx

March 12, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Classic example of ‘ when you tell yourself a lie long enough, you may start to believe it’. I actually went to read the full interview and it is very clear that Kemi has no relationship with O.C’s wife and that is where the problem is considering the fact that it is a transcontinental marriage. it sounded like the decision to wear a suit was already settled so the wife had no say, all shades wrong. the intentions are probably good and harmless but delivery was very faulty.
    Kemi, maybe you can start by building a relationship with his wife, let her be bestie too. if you had mentioned that he is your ride or die( not like I know what that means in this context) guy and his wife is your girl or something, it would have made more sense.
    I am a wife and a mum and I can tell you that Ibukun (that’s her name by the way) is not comfortable with this bestie of life thing with her husband especially the public declarations. you have put your guy in an awkward position by not acknowledging his wife, not even once. no kemi, I really liked you in tinsel but this bestie situation has WRONG written all over it. O.C Ukeje is my all time favourite nollywood actor, my husband thinks I have a crush on him and he can do no wrong in my eyes but this doesn’t seat right and I doubt that almost everyone here and every other place where this has been gossiped about can be wrong but then again, maybe you, kemi are among the one percent of women who do not fall in love with their male best friend.

• TA

March 12, 2015 at 8:46 pm

@Rynx not everyone falls in love with their male best friend. How about the other person, can you always guarantee that his feelings towards you will never change,ever? Even if it doesn’t, if she is OC’ s bestie as she says, what about him is Kemi also his best friend? If yes then what does that make his wife? Aha! You see the problem.

37. Mz Socially Awkward...

March 12, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Men are not babies. I think sometimes, we take this “protectiveness” of their “weaknesses” a little too far.

Without being able to speak for Kemi and OC’s particular situation (as I don’t know the actual dynamics of their friendship and how it may or may not impact on his marriage), I’ll say generally that you can’t always reduce relationships between people of the opposite sex to the same common denominator (i.e. that one of them will fall in love with the other and want something more). Maybe Kemi and OC are one of the existing exceptions to that supposition.

I have a very close friend who happens to be male and because he’s known me for a lot longer than those in my personal sisterhood – something like 20 years and counting, now – this means that my bond with him will always endure. Won’t go so far as to say that he’s my ride-or-die bud but I’ll tell you that he’s the one who’s called and prayed with and listened to and laughed with and consoled and rejoiced with me in some of the scenarios that my female best friends may not have been able to fully participate in (through no fault of their own). As he’s known me the longest, he’s also appreciated the dynamics of all the things which make me up because he knows my family, he’s seen me fall and get up, we’ve talked of my dreams and he’s just always been there.

Do I love him dearly? Yes I do. Have I ever wanted to date him? Not at all. It’s never been like that because I don’t see him as a boy (except when I want to rant and rail at him for the failings of his own sex), I just see him as my friend. And yes, he recently got married, in case you assume that we’re on this boat of friendship because we’re both singletons. I met his wife and completely understand there’s now going to be a shift in what we share but he won’t stop being a close friend for that reason. And it won’t stop me from embracing his new love and family, either because I’m not competing for anything in his life.

Please, not every woman who has some sort of pre-existing bond with the men in our lives is a threat. I readily accept that some very genuine threats deserve to be pulverised with wisdom + the Blood of Jesus but the same wisdom will point out the benign ones which don’t deserve all of our energy. All I’m saying is save the drama for where it’s necessary (after all, the man who’s being told to cut his ties with some platonic female friend, may actually be having more serious liaisons with an unsuspected relative… just a thought).

• NaijaPikin

March 12, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Thank you so very much for this.

I am now convinced that the reason lots of marriages fail is because people stop being themselves. They start living for others. Doing things other people, society, movies expect them to do, rather than what feels right.

Today, it is married women should not have single female friends, then they should not have male friends, then they should not have young friends. Kilode????? So someone who has been there for me through thick and thin, helped me through my worst days, helped me achieve my biggest accomplishments, I should just throw away because I got married? Get out of here with that bull$#!+

The only person(s) I am giving up are folks who are disloyal. Friendship is about being comfortable and having a good time. So male or female, it doesn’t matter to me. If you are good pples we surely are staying as buddies.

The only thing I blame lala for is even responding to the useless questions. She doesn’t owe anyone any explanations. Like someone mentioned, your heart knows how much you’ll do for a true friend, and a true friend knows their worth and place in your life. No need to shout it around.

• Olope

March 13, 2015 at 1:59 am

The point that most people who are speaking against the interview are making is not whether there is a romantic feeling! It is that the tone in the interview does not suggest that Kemi has any regard for the wife as his wife. Respect that’s all. And it very well could be bad editing on the part of the editors.

• nwanyi na aga aga

March 13, 2015 at 10:21 am

Thank you o, I kept wondering if something was wrong with me. I have a very close male friend and I keep wondering why everyone thinks male-female friendships cant be platonic. This goes a very long way to show the kind of reasoning our Nigerian Females are plagued with.. All I see is lack of trust. many people here think if a man wants to cheat he will cheat with someone that obvious? Odiegwu! Please women let us stop treating men like they re kids. A man knows what he wants if Oc married Ibukun not Kemi, he obviously knows who he wants by his side forever. if he wants space from Kemi he will give it, if he doesn’t even if Kemi runs to the moon, he will still find her.Lets concentrate on better things, If women channel the energy they use in policing their husbands to training their kids and developing themselves more..greater potentials will be unleashed..

38. jhennique

March 12, 2015 at 2:32 pm

lol, See y’all jobless people analysing another person’s marriage. how market?

39. when

March 12, 2015 at 2:36 pm

So why didn’t you marry said ride or die friend why? Why? What made your ride or die friend unsuitable for marriage if he or she was all that and more. It took time for the ride or die friend to attain that position, so will it take a while for your husband/wife to be to become your ride or die friend but you must allow them be just that. I am still very much single but I have cut off any relationship with the opposite sex that has crossed the friend line into closest/best friend. There are so many people of same sex to be friends with out there. If you know the heartbreak this causes. You would kill it earlier.

40. Rmd4reel

March 12, 2015 at 3:34 pm

It’s crazy to see that so many people have stuff to say abt ppl they don’t know. Just read allure magazine about why we r all so crazy about celebrities. They r humans too. Kemi has a bestie, for years since school I gathered, and they must have discussed how she would come out on his wedding day. This is what friends do naturally. I see nothing wrong. Plus the suit looked nice. Is it now out of fashion?
    My only worry is this? Y not marry that who is ur bestie and save everyone involved a potential heartache? What r those barriers, considerations that prevented ur union (Kemi and OC) but allowed such a deep friendship?
    Anyway, now that it’s a done deal, can we stop putting ideas into Kemi and Ibukun’s minds? Let Kemi find peace being THEIR bestie, that would be a more useful spot. And it would make u a good girl for the public.
    I can’t blame the girl for misyarning in the interview, she’s human and now I’m sure she gets the mistake. Tabloids can be crazy when they put the spotlight on you. So peeps, don’t sit in ur comfort zones and criticize others.
    I am a guy’s girl, I’m resigned to it, though these days I make extra effort to make female friends. I see when I new chick is coming in, I tease the guy, I notice he’s hell bent on her, I start my space-giving. I either keep a healthy relationship with both, or I step back a little.
    Women, we have to help the guys. They really don’t know how to manage the situation. We have to set the new dynamics cos to them it may be business as usual, but to us we will get the brunt of the social criticisms, as is displayed here.
    I pray for a fruitful and happy marriage, and I know Kemi will continue to do the right thing.
    PS- oh great! I now know all their names, lol.

41. TeeA

March 12, 2015 at 4:47 pm

From my experience and what I surmise from the comments, the key things are:
    1. It’s alright to have a bestie of the opposite sex
    2. When either bestie gets married, there should be an acknowledgement of a significant other in the beatie’s life and the bestie ship dynamic should evolve and Tk that into account.
    3. Perception is key. No more gum-body ing with said bestie particularly in public lest your pure bestieship be called into question. Afterall, ‘Caesar’s wife must not only be above reproach but must be seen to be so’
    4. Having done the above, enjoy the new depth / dynamic of your bestie ship and seek a new ride and die preferably your own spouse.

42. cindy

March 12, 2015 at 5:41 pm

She’s in love with him….

43. Olayemi

March 12, 2015 at 9:44 pm

That’s how one girl was forming bestie with hubby until I found out she would wake up in the midnight to be liking his picture on Instagram. Bestie ko, bestie ni. If you see the storm I stirred ehn, she won’t try it again. Oshisko. Go and do bestie in charity home not in a married somebody’s home,

• timbolo

March 13, 2015 at 4:36 am

The one that is not bestie and is liking his picture nko? What will you stir up?

• Beeeee

March 13, 2015 at 6:22 am

Lmaoooooooo

44. Beeeee

March 13, 2015 at 6:28 am

Ride or die kwa…..for a married man? I am not in anyway analyzing their relationship because I don’t know the details. It’s not about people hating, the interview sounds somehow. Yes they were best friends but he is a married man now. Those in support of the rideordieship, hope you will be ok if you come home and find your husbands under blanket with their bestie eating popcorn and watching movies. Hope you will be ok if your husbands bestie is the first to find out about anything concerning your spouse. Because that’s what a bestie is. When something happens, you want to run and tell them first. There is nothing wrong with a male and female friendship but when you start calling a married man “ride or die” it has gone to another level. Ini Edo and Mike Ezuruonye were besties in the beginning but after they got married, I don’t think I’ve seen them anywhere together.