News

#HelpFindAmina: 19 Year Old Student in Canada Amina Lawal Missing

Amina 3York University student of Nigerian parentage, Amina Lawal, has been missing since her 19th birthday, which was last Friday.

Lawal, a student at York’s Schulich School of Business, was reported missing by her mother on Saturday after she didn’t return home from school on Friday night, CBC News Toronto reports.

Funmiloya Odusola who is Lawal’s mother, stated that Lawal had gone for a school group meeting on Friday, and had called around 6:30 p.m to say she was on her way home, but she never showed up.

“She’s a good girl. She works so hard. She’s a very smart girl … what am I going to do?” I love you … Come back home. Please,” said Odusola while speaking to newsmen.

Odusola further stated that her daughter’s disappearance was unusual, as her daughter had never lost contact with her until now. She expressed fears that something bad may have happened to Amina.

Toronto police are still seeking information about her whereabouts.

Amina picmixAccording to reports, Lawal was last seen on Friday morning when she had a birthday breakfast at her home in Scarborough’s Kingston Road and Beechgrove Drive area. Police reports state that no one knows where she went after that.

Lawal’s friends told police that she had stopped attending classes for several weeks prior to her disappearance.

“There’s some information she may not have been disclosing to mom…there might be other things going on in her life that we don’t know about,” said police investigator Kevin Murrell.

The young woman’s friends have reportedly started conversations on Twitter to help with investigations via hashtag: #helpfindamina

Amina 4

***

We really hope Amina Lawal is found soon.

1. ms.b

March 25, 2015 at 12:04 pm

God be with her and keep her.

2. Fred

March 25, 2015 at 12:09 pm

This is very sad but I suggest they look for her around some stupid guys and friends might have kidnapped or trap her in a room closeby around the naigbourhood. Mostly those people who are sick in the brain.

glodonews.blogspot.com

3. Beeeee

March 25, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Wow, I pray that she is found safe. She is so beautiful too. OAN: BN, Nigerian parentage? Is the girl not Nigerian? Of course she is. I think saying “of Nigerian parentage” makes it sound like she’s Canadian and her parents are Nigerian. My thoughts tho.

4. Trudy

March 25, 2015 at 12:42 pm

If she was born in Canada, then she’s a Canadian even though her parents are nigerians.

• Beeeee

March 25, 2015 at 1:01 pm

I know that she would be a Canadian citizen if she was born there. I was born in the US and lived there for almost 20 years. I never called myself an American or even a Nigerian American. I am a Nigerian. I was even thinking that the girl was addressed as having “Nigerian parentage” in the News Release, so i had to go back and check before i posted my comment.

• Iris

March 25, 2015 at 1:55 pm

It depends on what she considers herself to be, but typically she’d be considered a Canadian of Nigerian descent. I pray she’s found. I hope they question her friends more. If she had stopped going to school and deviated from the norm, a close friend has to know some kind of secret.

• Canfor

March 26, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Trudy, where you are born IS NOT where you’re from. That comment is so ridiculous. So if you have your child in Ghana or Mozambique, that’s where your child will be from, despite the fact that you’re Nigerian? You Nigerians need to realise that place of birth isn’t heritage/where you’re from. Nigerians are always thirsty to say they’re Americans, British, Dutch, etc. If you had your baby in Syria, I don’t think you’d say your child is from there, or Uganda, Zambia, or any other place.
      Anyway, back to the matter. I really hope she’s found. Cause being an ex-student of the school myself, the crime rate there is preposterous.

• Shandi

March 26, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Hi Trudy.
      If you’re born in a country like Great Britain, The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and all other countries that do not give citizenship by birth, will you say you’re British, Dutch, German, and the likes? I don’t know what you’re saying and I’m yet to understand how and why you turned this post to a nationality debate. Very unreasonable of you.
      I hope the girl is found, I’m very sure it’s not easy for her Mom. That Keele area, very unsafe. I pray she’s found soon, and in good condition.‎

5. Beeeee

March 25, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Me too Iris, I pray she’s found…so sad

6. trudy

March 25, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Beeee, it doesnt matter what you consider yourself. This has to do with the law. What your document say is what you are. No one is saying that she shouldn’t be called nigerian. By law, she is a canadian and not nigerian.

• Beeeee

March 25, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Madam Trudy, is Bella Naija the law? I am talking about Bella Naija, not the law please. I was just making an observation about how BN reported the story. I wont be commenting on “my comment” anymore……this is about finding this beautiful young lady. I am sure you came here to comment on the story, so please, comment on the story. I am sorry for making you deviate.

• Nneoma

March 26, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Trudy, you sound like one of those pathetic Nigerians immigrants in Canada, Toronto to be precise, that will claim anything other than being Nigerian. Please shut up. This post isn’t about her nationality. Some of you are so despicable and mindless.

• Nneoma

March 26, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Nigerian*

7. Beeeee

March 25, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Oh wow, while adults with different opinions were having a conversation a child snuck out of daycare to join the convo ….just, wow

• Nneoma

March 26, 2015 at 3:06 pm

I know right. Not sure what he/she is saying.