Scoop

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde Opens up about People’s Perceptions of Her, Getting married as a Teenager, Her Music Career & Much More

Omotola-Jalade-Ekeinde-tw-Magazine-BellaNaijaNollywood screen star Omotola Jalade Ekeinde is the cover star of tw Magazine’s latest issue (click here if you missed it) and inside the magazine she talks candidly about her 20 years in the movie industry, people calling her arrogant, getting married at 18 and much more.

She also talks about her music career and the future of Omotola Jalade Ekeinde.

Read excerpts from her interview below.

On her dreams in Nollywood: We were coming from a place where it was disgraceful to be an actor. My first plan was to earn money to help my brothers. When I achieved that, my dream was to make this job a success so much that people would respect me and I would be proud of myself. It was just to earn the respect of Nigerians.

On people seeing her as headstrong and arrogant: I realized I was different and it made me a target. A long time ago, when it was not popular to do so, I demanded that they pack my food on set. And they said I was proud. I tried to fit in, in the past, but after a while I feel I don’t have to be apologetic. I asked, ‘Why am I too fast?’ God told me, if that is how I made you, then don’t apologise for it. I have always demanded high standards, I have realized that I have the grace and energy to do it. But people do not understand the whole purpose until I am done.

On her husband: I am favoured. He trusts my decisions. He knows I am not irresponsible even if I say so myself. I consider every decision carefully. He may have reservations but that is human, and that is not going to be a deal breaker.

On infidelity: Men cheat for different reasons and women cheat for different reasons. For women, it usually happens when the spouse does not show care and love. It is not really the money. I don’t lack care; how much can you possibly give me more than what I already have? Also, you have to think about what you are going lose; your home, respect and integrity. When a woman cheats, then she really wants to cheat and it will be quite difficult to catch her at it because women are good planners.

On her religious beliefs: I gave my life to Christ when I was 15 years and I used to preach inside ‘molue’. It is important that you find Christ and find him early. It is for your good. The fact that I found Christ early helped me to be focused. I always rely on God for direction (even when I wanted to get married), I just have to find peace with it and then go for it. I really did not indulge in those things that could have exposed me because I wasn’t interested. I don’t like clubbing. Even when I was single, you would have to pay me to go clubbing.

On her music career: I finished my second album since 2010 but it is not yet out contrary to insinuations. I am not trying to be a Tiwa Savage. My career is like a Barbara Streisand kind of career. I said I would bring out an album every five years. The next step for me is to have my own entertainment place where you can listen to my music, watch my movies and experience everything about Omotola.

On the next 20 years: In the next 20 years, I am hoping that I will be alive and God will grant me good health. I hope to be a sexy grandmother as well.

You can read up the full interview in the March 2015 issue of tw Magazine, currently on newsstands.

Photo Credit: tw Magazine

1. eyong

March 13, 2015 at 6:40 am

There’s nothing about this woqn that I don’t like, she has just the right amount of pride, and humility, just the right amount of sex appeal, jist the right amount of attitude. Mtcheeww. Honestly, I don’t know how anyone can NOT like her. Bad belle tins.

• nene

March 13, 2015 at 8:15 pm

gbam

• ife

March 13, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Did you deliberately miss out talent.

2. chy

March 13, 2015 at 7:15 am

love you, you beautiful, down to earth, you have standard and unapologetic about it. love you.

3. ...just saying

March 13, 2015 at 7:59 am

One minute you talk about being born again, the next minute you say you want to be a sexy grand mother? Sexy means.. being SEXUALLY attractive….seductive, sultry, That should not be the 20 year goal of a born-again, or anyone reputable…Sheesh! Say you want to look fit, be a “tapping” grandma even but sexy? Oh! I’m so sorry, how could I forget you nicknamed yourself omosexy…My bad!

• prince

March 13, 2015 at 10:20 am

ITK, you see that’s the problem and it’s because you don’t read your Bible well with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Who says being born again, you can’t look sexy and better that you were before. She said it right. Carry your ITK enter bush

4. oy

March 13, 2015 at 8:33 am

muahhhh!!! may all ur dreams, as according to God’s will come true, amen

5. Jhennique

March 13, 2015 at 8:47 am

How many times will Omotola “open up” abeg!

6. Joe

March 13, 2015 at 9:22 am

Mama you don try sha…Even international bodies don recognize you say you don try..20 years no be 20 days..God bless you

7. vivian

March 13, 2015 at 9:22 am

i love the part of..”i hope to be a sexy grand mother as well”..
    well i hope to be that too..i am 28 and i have got an 8 yr old drop dead gorgeous boy..and i hv also got an am “ah” zing body and look waaay younger than my peers.
    YES!..and i am grateful for all that.. i look forward to still being ‘dis’ hawt in yrsss to come…and i also wish and pray and hope that all women inrespective of their height/weight/tribe/past/whatever..will appreciate themselves and love their body and embrace their womanhood.
    may God bless us all..and our wonderful hubby’s/fiances/boyfriends as well.
    i am just soooo happy this friday mprning, and i hope it rubs off on anyone who didnt wake up too good this morning..
    *muah*

8. vivian

March 13, 2015 at 9:26 am

*irrespective* *morning

9. RIFF RAFF

March 13, 2015 at 9:32 am

No shading please, just curious: But why do people still insist you’re arrogant? Too many people for that matter, to the point where producers are refusing to work with you. Is it because of “standards”? Aunty Omo, if you’re looking for standards, why don’t u then act in foreign/diaspora/ international movies? Just see Nigerian actors abroad. U went to Hollywood one time like that and took pics with Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis. Even with Cameron Diaz sef. How far na? No deals came out of all this? Strange….Speaking of “standards”, Steven got them and very high ones for that matter. That’s one person who doesn’t joke with the standards u so much talk about.
    Cuss me out all u want, methinks Omotola, who is a good actress by the way, has reached her limits. And spare me with “she paid her dues and got nothing to prove anymore”. Fact is, competition has become real tough. Acting and the movie industry in general have been taken to another level. Producers, filmmakers, upcoming actors especially, are not here to play. She’s hyping her marriage to remain relevant cos she knows the marriage obsession of our people. We respect her as one of the numerous veterans of the Nollywood industry, though.
    But please madam, stop sleeping on your past glories and using endorsements as an easy route. Up ya game. No fear competition. If “standards” are your problem, turn into an acting coach and train those who aspire to work in the industry. Show them how it’s done. Good luck in your endeavors and many more years to your marriage.

• Tinu

March 13, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Abi oooo please tell her. Filmmaking now isn’t like before. Ad far as I am concerned, omotola became famous because of her beauty. Her diction is terrible. Yoruba-english things! No wonder they gave her a waka pass role in that tv series. They didn’t even let her utter any word. Hollywood is not Nollywood. They respect their viewers. they just don’t act for acting sakes. I have seen so many omotola movies and they are not different from drama movies they do in churches.

• Dolly

March 13, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Let me School you a little bit, Omotola has one the best Non phonetics, non british/American accent. Little wonder she was top on that list of best accent around the world. In your ignorant quest to slander her person, you went all time low and you are wrong for that. even saying yoruba english like that your mbaise queen dont have Enugu tonation.
      Lastly GTFOH with that fake name tinu, we all know you are Onome!

• marinda

March 13, 2015 at 10:24 pm

@dolly, heffa hoe, please be still and maintain your position beneath the feet of this your hero. Please bow down low it’s were u belong.

• Hope

March 13, 2015 at 11:32 pm

This comment is just stupid…Quite frankly dosent deserve any more reply..

10. Ochouba Chidinma

March 13, 2015 at 9:54 am

She’ll Sure be a Very Sexy Grandmum!!………. Love You Alot!!

11. Adwoa

March 13, 2015 at 10:05 am

“I am not trying to be a Tiwa Savage”, but that’s too much shade thrown right there. you could have said it better. “am not trying to be a pop star” even. That is just not good for someone who has been in the limelight for 20 years and have granted many interviews. As riff raff said, up your acting game. that’s what’s important. not a dead beat music career that is yet to even take of

• Adwoa

March 13, 2015 at 10:39 am

ooh mehn!!! did i make all these mistakes! hahaha… * and has granted many interviews*, * music career that is yet to take off*

• ms.b

March 13, 2015 at 10:56 am

How is “I’m not trying to be a tiwa savage” too much shade? Is tiwa savage not a pop star n d most popular female singer in naija? So how is omotola saying she’s not trying to compete with tiwa or be like tiwa an insult? Sum of u sef, kai. I’m learning small small how to apply makeup but I’m not tryin tto be like mamza, now u will call dat an insult also? Abeg go sleep!

12. Mizzy

March 13, 2015 at 10:21 am

hw many tyms wuld she open up? bsids, so many pple get married as teenagers. e af do wt d repeated stories jor

13. Dakolo

March 13, 2015 at 11:27 am

Omotola go and act please. See as you are becoming a red carpet and magazine chief like your sister Ginny. Please sexy mama, find work do so we can keep celebrating you

14. Olayemi

March 13, 2015 at 12:27 pm

This same story she has been telling since I was a teenager, now I’m married with a child. Next year, she will pay for PR and tell the same story. E Kpele, eku PR.

15. nene

March 13, 2015 at 8:16 pm

omotola is feisty and i like her, but she’s also quite proud and stubborn, but i have always loved her.

16. ife

March 13, 2015 at 8:39 pm

No hating oh but please what is this woman selling and exactly what are her fans buying. I don’t get it. And fans o if u insult me once I will hit u twice. Please tell me what madam is selling?

17. liz

March 14, 2015 at 3:08 am

Naijas idol
    naijas meryl streep abi, she represents yall globally as YOUR ONE AND ONLY BEST 🙂 🙂 🙂
    sorry but her acting does NOTHING FOR ME.
    ABSOLUTELY .