Scoop

‘I was so hungry and ashamed’, Viola Davis Talks about Growing up with No Food & Digging through Dumpsters

1426083894_viola-davis-articleIn an emotional interview with Glamour magazine, award-winning actress Viola Davis has shared the candid details about how food was never guaranteed at home, and that she sometimes had to root through dumpsters to find something to eat.

Here are some of the things that the 49-year-old actress had to share with the magazine.

On going to school hungry: “I was always so hungry and ashamed, I couldn’t tap into my potential. I couldn’t get at the business of being me…It was like, If you don’t eat it now, it’ll be gone, and you’re going to be hungry for the next—Lord, who knows how long?”

On helping to raise over $4.5 million for the Hunger Is campaign: “This is the richest country in the world. There’s no reason kids should be going to school hungry. Food is something that everyone should have. It just is.”

On fully accepting who you are: “One thing that is missing from the vision boards is what happens when you don’t get what you want. Your ability to adapt to failure, and navigate your way out of it, absolutely 100 percent makes you who you are.”

On the memorable episode of How to Get Away With Murder in which she removes her makeup, eyelashes, and wig: “I’m finally comfortable with my story. And I finally understand what [mythologist] Joseph Campbell meant when he said: ‘The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.’”

You can read up the emotional interview feature visit Glamour.com.

Photo Credit: Glamour Magazine

1. Damilola

March 13, 2015 at 8:16 am

She looks beautiful in that picture

2. Aderonke says #Bring BackOurGirls#

March 13, 2015 at 8:28 am

Not surprised at all that she is now successful, she is an epitome of great talents.. Diamonds come out from crushing pressure and intense heat …..and Viola Davis is one of those Diamonds.! Love her plenty!

• Janet

March 13, 2015 at 11:57 am

That metaphor about the diamonds was so beautiful! you should take up writing my dear! Her story gives me encouragement! No matter how bad life seems in the beginning the story is never fully told until the end.

3. ms.b

March 13, 2015 at 10:39 am

I love her lips and how she applies her lipstick on “how to get away with murder”. My lipstick always cums out ugly, sum1 help me pls.

4. yonce

March 13, 2015 at 2:06 pm

the part she took off her wig and makeup was so epic!

5. Efee

March 14, 2015 at 5:56 am

“Your ability to adapt to failure, and navigate your way out of it, absolutely 100 percent makes you who you are.” – Fantastic quote!