Scoop

The Ups & Downs of Moving & Settling in Lagos! Watch Yagazie Emezi’s Latest Vlog

Yagazie EmeziWe love Yagazie Emezi‘s vlog! She’s down to earth, a tad bit dramatic and entertaining all in one.

Her latest video covers the positives and negatives of living and working to Lagos – she’s moved five times in the past year, she’s been ‘sad, scared, lonely’ and of course she’s had some fun times as well.

Watch

Photo Credit: Instagram.com/YagazieEmezi

1. AnnieRose

March 13, 2015 at 11:03 am

LMAO. enjoyed this

• Truth be Told

March 13, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Thank you for coming back after ur education…
      I know some people who would marry a cripple just to have papers to stay in America/UK they feel there is no hope for them in Nigeria so they start running around before the end of their masters degree looking for Akata or Jamo to hook up with. They have lost all hope in themselves and feel staying abroad will give a better life some even marry “Shrek” looking ladies just to stay in obodo Oyinbo……..This is common among men.

• timbolo

March 14, 2015 at 1:00 am

TruthbeTold …. some people really do not have a hope in Nigeria. Some manage to make it out of impossible situations in Nigeria. They have a host of mouths to feed back home. The last thing on their mind is to go back to Nigeria. They don’t see it the way you see it.
      Plus, some rich kids marry that yankee cripple to get papers THEN return to Nigeria. Why? Safety net. But as returnees on the streets of Lagos, you hail them and applaud their courage in returning.

• LILO

March 14, 2015 at 6:01 am

There is no hope in Nigeria for everyone…stop sounding as though everyone who has moved back has made it big

• Tally

March 14, 2015 at 10:06 am

Some people have it hard. Some have it easy. I think it’s best not to automatically assume her background to be of wealth just because she was educated overseas. My parents scraped to send me overseas for schooling. I came back and I’m jobless with my parents trying not to be homeless, living in the uk for school just made things worse. The girl is clearly not from Lagos, she said Aba so in my head, it was a big step for her to come to a new place to try and make it with nothing. Things are hopeless here so I will applaud someone who comes from a humble home who tries to make it because yes, not everyone makes it. If that’s a real accent, good for her, is it by force? Some people’s parents lived overseas for decades and came back sounding the same, why must the next generation be different? It’s a choice to retain your accent and some people clearly aren’t ok with sounding Nigerian once they come back and now we demand that they should sound foreign lol

2. dubai mum

March 13, 2015 at 11:12 am

Quirky one! Love your name!

3. Onyeka

March 13, 2015 at 11:36 am

Bella… I know I’m being pedantic, however, I’ll still go ahead and make one correction. There is no such thing as “a tad bit”; it’s grammatically incorrect and is repetition.

A tad- a small degree. A bit- a little.

Apologies in advance; but it just grinds my gears.
    🙂

• Say the trutha

March 13, 2015 at 1:35 pm

You are right. I wish they could rewind it back.

• timbolo

March 14, 2015 at 1:10 am

@Say the trutha, LOL please don’t kill me dead.

• Queen of Everything

March 13, 2015 at 1:55 pm

At least they posted your correction, they took mine down after correcting the article.
      unhappy bunny over here 🙁

• Sky

March 13, 2015 at 2:59 pm

See Sky’s comments further down

• Tatler

March 13, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Tad bit means a little amount of something and is synonymous with tidbit and titbit. Though it is always spelled as two words. Tad and bit can both be used on their own for a similar meaning. The use of both may seem redundant, however, it is an accepted phrase. Grammarist

So yeah you are being pedantic.

• timbolo

March 14, 2015 at 1:09 am

Oh please Onyeka, you are being a tad bit picky. It may not be acceptable in a dissertation but it is colloquially acceptable. You might want to add a “little bit” of oil to your gears.

4. Ajeburra

March 13, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Bruno!!! Where are you oh??? Lol!!
    As you always advise BellaNaijarians in obodo not to move back, this is a testimony to ur warnings…lol

5. Que

March 13, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Oo I am sooo curious about the next lag one on working relationships…. and BN posting her weekly will ease the growing irritation from the excessive relationship/marriage vlogs posts in existence here! Cheers.

6. Sky

March 13, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Onyeka, much as agree with you on the definition of Tad and Bit, there is nothing wrong in saying tad bit. The use of two diminutive words together just further emphasises the smallness of what is being described, hence why we say ‘a little bit’. And don’t forget bit could also mean part of a whole. Enjoy your weekend, whatever yo get up to

• Onyeka

March 13, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Thanks Sky, I still disagree; little is an adverb. Tad- adjective. Bit- a noun.
      The allowances and syntax for constructing sentences differ significantly.
      By saying a tad bit, you are attempting to modify an adjective with a word that means almost the same thing…. that, my dear friend is repetition.

• Sky

March 14, 2015 at 12:01 am

Dear Onyeka, what are you doing tomorrow night? this conversation could go on forever….

• onyeka

March 16, 2015 at 9:01 am

lol….

7. Fifi

March 13, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Lmao mehn girl i feel ur pain, moved back 10 years now when in my case i was promised job etc, finally got job a year and a half later, hated office politics(long story concerning my cleavage showing and short knee lenght skirts by the resident evil witch in hr) anyway it was a hard transistion,took me 5 years to adjust,lagos is not easy,when one is broke in lagos it is terrible becos wit 1k how many indomie and egg can one consume at least in london 10 pounds went a long way in iceland and ur local halal butchers,if i had a choice to do it all again i wouldnt have moved back

8. Dee

March 13, 2015 at 4:50 pm

She needs to be original and stop trying to force a Nigerian accent. However, I love her honesty. It’s refreshing.

• Anon

March 13, 2015 at 6:05 pm

She was born and bred in Nigeria so She can’t be forcing an accent that’s her root. If she spoke in any other accent, yourself and your hooligans will come at her asking her about her hair colour, skin and family pictures.

• timbolo

March 14, 2015 at 1:02 am

Yagazie is sure not forcing a Nigerian accent. I have followed her for a long time and she has never hidden who she is ……. a girl from a humble family in Aba, albeit with a foreign, is it Malaysian, mother.

• Onegirllikethat

March 14, 2015 at 1:46 am

I agree. There is no way you would live abroad and go to school and not have your accent affected in some way. I think some extra, how edit unnecessary effort is being put into sounding as I guess, ‘nigerian’ as possible. Not knocking her hustle though. Just saying be real if you’re going to be real. That’s all

• Mayuri

July 12, 2015 at 9:30 pm

So someone who lived in Nigeria for most of her life shld go to school in the us for a short while and come back with a different accent? Na was oh! That makes total sense.

9. Dahnatella

March 14, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Saw her at Bohobiri Open mic night I know her sister Zed …she seemed happy welcome home dearf I relocated too and Im still adjusting 🙂