Scoop

Toyin Aimakhu Reacts to Backlash after Saying ‘I Can Die for PDP’: It is Pathetic for Anyone to take My Word Literally

Toyin AimakhuThe ‘Meet the President’ event that held over the weekend (click here if you missed it) has been the source of a lot of conversations – from asking if there were really 5000 youths, to people criticizing Seyi Shay’s outfit and also condemning Nollywood actress Toyin Aimakhu’s statement of her dying for PDP.

Toyin Aimakhu made a passionate statement while on stage at the event saying ‘I can die for PDP’.

Her statement received a lot of backlash and now, though her publicist, Toyin Aimakhu has released an official statement about it.

Our country has given its citizens the right to freedom of speech and right to vote and be voted for, I’m most definitely not an exception. As of 1999, Nigeria has about 29 political parties, allowing every citizen to choose at their own free will. It is then left to us not to undermine the decision or choices of others as it is loathsome. We live in a world where people take pleasure in bringing other people down.

I feel obliged to address the matter of me dying for the PDP. Firstly, no one is dying for anyone and the last time I checked only Jesus had died for us with no strings attached or money promised to his family when he’s gone. He died to save us all. Haven’t pointed that out, I will like to say, I will not , in any way, for no reason whatsoever, die for a person or a political party.

Secondly, I personally feel it is pathetic for anyone to take my word literally when it was simply a joke. As a successful Nollywood actress, it is not unusual for people in my line of work to use the phrase ‘ha baba, walai mo love yin gaan mo le ku fun yin ni sir’ with smiles on their faces. This was me, just doing my job as a host of the event, trying to be funny, which by the way, worked. It is absurd to take my word out of context.

Furthermore, my choices, should however in no way be a channel for condemnation. Celebrities and public figures, just like every other people, are allowed to campaign, vote and support whomever and however we please. As many great political parties we have, we cannot vote for them all. It is a one man, one vote society.

I love everyone as best as I can, most especially my fans ,make your choice, respect the choice of others, let it be, and most especially, do not allow the choice of others affect yours. In conclusion, let’s try to help others grow and support them. Don’t let the success of others make you feel resentment against them or envious, simply learn from them and strive to do better. I wish everyone safe, free and fair election.

Photo Credit: Instagram – @aimakhutoyin

1. Yvonne

March 4, 2015 at 9:17 am

Seems she has gotten a goo

• Modele

March 4, 2015 at 2:56 pm

My Dear, the right to freedom, to vote and be voted for all comes with democracy, so you should not identify as one of the PDP achievements. Secondly, when making such address or representation, it would do you and your audience a whole world of good if you can be very clear in future , so that your words are not taken literally. Lastly did you or your publicist write the above? Next time when you are writing a public statement like this you need to do your proof reading, sis. The right phrase is should be ” Having pointed that out” and not ” Haven’t pointed that out”. Aunty Toyin, we are less than impressed with your grammar.

2. Yvonne

March 4, 2015 at 9:18 am

Seems she has gotten herself a good PR !

3. IRA

March 4, 2015 at 9:19 am

Is ahe 4real? can she hear what is spewing out of her mouth?

• Lois

March 4, 2015 at 10:22 am

Will you people just shoosh? ‘Mo le ku fun ….whoever” is just a slang in Yoruba. It is an exaggeration of affection towards a person or thing. Everyone has an absolute right to their own choices and opinions. This is not 1983-85 where we had no freedom of speech, choice and expression. If she is pro-PDP then it is her business because no one had killed Funke Akindele yet nor Ice prince for joining the APC bandwagon

4. Boye

March 4, 2015 at 9:27 am

Illiteracy is a disease. ..hehe

• temi

March 4, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Wonder who typed this for her.

• didi

March 5, 2015 at 2:46 pm

please remind me who she is again?

5. Dee

March 4, 2015 at 9:33 am

Hmmm, Toyin…..you ‘sha’ must talk!!! less is more, don’t be all over the place every time, do everything in moderation, you are a lady!!!

6. SLA

March 4, 2015 at 9:41 am

This girl used to be loved by most people. She now seems to be on a mission to draw as much negative vibes from people as she can. She just won’t stop courting bad publicity

7. princess

March 4, 2015 at 9:47 am

haters keep off, mind ur business joo

8. T

March 4, 2015 at 9:48 am

yipppee, she got a publicist, thank goodness. Now that we can read and comprehend what you are saying, Toyin its your life o,do as you please. But also remember that you cant reply to every damn thing you hear and we cant always agree with the things you say…is it safe to say pdp is your 2nd small god?hehe

9. concerned

March 4, 2015 at 10:01 am

1st of all, there is no way on God’s Green Earth that Toyin Aihmaku wrote this herself. I’m betting a forearm on that.

• Tee

March 4, 2015 at 10:18 am

I crave your indulgence to kindly go back to the article and read the part where it was said that she made the response through her publicist. Just what we were talking about…..quick to pull people down. Whether she wrote it personally or not is not as important as the content of the message, which comes from her quarters except you were the one that wrote it. Let’s be more constructive in this society and look for the good side of people instead of looking for faults to gloat over.

10. Fortune Da Function Guy

March 4, 2015 at 10:15 am

Why u no die for boko haram? the power of bribery can make pple say anything…

11. Ocean Basket

March 4, 2015 at 10:17 am

The only thing I observed is that she gave someone to type this trash for her

• Modele

March 4, 2015 at 3:01 pm

And even the person did not do a very good job. or is this the normal standard of writing in Nigeria, maybe I am asking for too much

12. thlae

March 4, 2015 at 10:20 am

Succesful nollywood actress,weldone o, I was happy reading the clear writtings, then I saw “haven’t said that” weldone again,you can want to calm down small abeg,your drama is getting too much,if u like die playfully for PDP, its your cup of tea.

13. Lois

March 4, 2015 at 10:24 am

Toyin Johnson, carry go. You were fun that day. I watched it through and through on TV. That was a job well done. Ain’t voting neither party still…kisses

14. Princess Aramide

March 4, 2015 at 10:26 am

Of course! the statement is weighty but I think she did that just for the money she had collected, period!!! She can’t be honestly serious, it was just an exaggeration.

15. COKE

March 4, 2015 at 10:36 am

We all must desist from the use of “Jesus Christ” when discussing shitty matters like this.

I just noticed this Toyin babe a couple of weeks ago and i already think she talks too much gibberish.

16. Fume

March 4, 2015 at 10:46 am

Gosh! can people just let her breathe?

17. wunmi

March 4, 2015 at 11:09 am

Toyin Aimahku needs to calm down! She talks too much for a lady of her status

18. anonymous

March 4, 2015 at 11:35 am

so this is how Agbaje looks before make-up & photoshop..isokay

19. opsydaisy

March 4, 2015 at 11:50 am

Haters pls leave this woman alone ooo.speaking good english isn’t d ticket to heaven.y’all should jst learn to look at peoples good sides.whethr she gave it to someone to write it or not,its d message she’s passing out dat matters.plus she’s actually a good actress believe it or not,dat ur problem.

20. Dame MARIAN

March 4, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Toyin again!Joblessness…….

21. ladyB

March 4, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Pls give this woman a break…being a celebrity isn’t a joke o..if u cough problem..eat problem..hmm

22. tunmi

March 4, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Considering many people have died unwittingly during the reign of this govt in avoidable manners, the most recent is the young lives lost at the NIS Immigration Recruitment (about 16 dead), the statement itself is insensitive. To further say it is “pathetic” that people took it literally is insulting.

23. ms.b

March 4, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Pdp bought red camry for her na, so she can die for them. PDP changed her life and she went ahead to bring her god back.

24. Mamasita

March 4, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Toyin lousy as hell…..always jamming her tenses……

25. Janity

March 4, 2015 at 11:51 pm

*sigh*… well then RIP dear…

Tweet @sane_jayne

26. kayaking

March 5, 2015 at 7:58 pm

This gal shld go n sit down pls….enuf of d jargons coming out of her mouth in d name of issuing a statement. ..chai..madam small god

27. wealth

March 7, 2015 at 10:19 am

You people should leave her alone, no body is above mistake, English no be anybody papa language. Why will you sit your ass there and judge people? You wey sabi speak english how much is your salary? If pdp offer you fools just 1million you fit faint, she’s doing her job, making money, enjoying her life, ng around the world, ordring what ever she want, you there judging her. Are you saying you perfect? Or because she be star she must be perfect? Let her write anyhow she want as far as you can read and understand what she wrote, then ee don do. And for those who said talk or putting everything on sites too much, then get a job, stop reading her aticle or gist…..anything wey una like make una talk all I know is person wey get better job no go get time for shittttt