News

Ogun State Man Seeks Divorce Due to Wife’s Inability to Conceive

African American Couple Angry

An Abeokuta Customary Court sitting in Ake on Wednesday dissolved a three-year-old marriage between Femi and wife, Kemi, due to the absence of vagina, deceit and frequent fighting.

Femi told the court that his wife deceived him to marry her knowing that she could not bear him a child.

He accused his wife, who had failed to appear in court after being summoned several times, of living a false life, frequent fighting and threatening his life.

“My wife had been deceiving me since we got married I have never seen her pass through menstruation. My wife does not have any vagina opening. Anytime I ask her for sex, she would give an excuse to back up her refusal. Meanwhile, we have been praying to God to give us children.

My wife did not tell me anything about her condition before we got married, until February this year that she confessed to me that she had never experienced menstruation in her life. I thought she was lying, so I went to see her parents who told me it was true, and that they thought their daughter explained to me before we got married,” Femi told the court.

He pleaded with the court’s president to dissolve his three-year-old marriage that had nothing to show for both now and in future.

The News Agency Nigeria (NAN) reports that the defendant was absent despite several summons by the court.

The court’s president, Olalekan Akande, dissolved the marriage, saying that both parties had made up their minds to part ways.

Akande said that both parties were free to remarry anybody of their choice, adding that the document of the marriage dissolution should be sent to Kemi.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime.com

1. MC

April 29, 2015 at 5:48 pm

“No vagina opening”…but you ask for sex….how odd

• Teacher

April 29, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Idiot did you read the story? He said she confessed to him about her condition February this year. He has been asking her for sex since they were married NOT knowing about her condition. Meaning she has been lying and deceiving him all along

• MC

April 30, 2015 at 9:18 am

Ahhhhh so it makes even more sense that they would be praying for children!?!?
      P.s no need for name calling, it’s not that deep!

2. ashlee

April 29, 2015 at 5:52 pm

…and yet when I speak in favour of sex before marriage they crucify me with bible scriptures. As a christian, I understand the Bible´s point of view and the reasoning behind it but in these days we live in, deceit is rife. I don´t want to marry a man who does not match my sexual appetite cos this will lead to divorce in the long run and this is what most couples face these days. A man who cannot perform, a woman who can´t conceive, a partner with low sexual appetite and so forth. Financial stability, sexual compatibility and love are very important components in a relationship/marriage.

• niki

April 29, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Lol. But it didn’t say they didnt have sex before they got married.

• oj

April 30, 2015 at 8:14 am

my dear, u are not a Christian. u are a church-goer. a Christian does not just understand bible principles: he/she lives by them even when the world think it is foolish.

3. Yvonne

April 29, 2015 at 6:15 pm

“Meanwhile we have been praying to God to give us children”??
    Na wa oooh!
    You’re praying to God for kids without having sex???

4. lakelizzy

April 29, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Does sex before marriage guarantee childbirth? What if she gets pregnant but just can’t go to term? Anything can happen. How many people should you sleep with before getting married? Why should marriage be based on child bearing? what happened to love? He’s never seen her have her period but yet he went ahead with the wedding. What’s the problem now? she told him after marriage but he didn’t believe her? lies. I am not attacking you ashlee but I just can’t help but wonder about these things.

Plus if this guy is a true christian, he will not be taking his wife to court for her inability to conceive.

On an educative note: The guy said his wife has no vaginal opening?! Please anyone with better knowledge than I am. What kind of condition is this? Thanks in advance !

5. asgrl

April 29, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Hmmm you’re married for better or worse. This is your worse (Despite the deceit).

It doesn’t mean she can’t get pregnant, they need to get to a fertility doctor.

• Africhic

April 30, 2015 at 9:55 am

They are not married, this marriage has not been consumated. they should have gotten an annulment

6. Florence

April 29, 2015 at 10:25 pm

It is called Imperforate Vagina. Usually,suspicion is raised when a young lady has not seen her period. When they present at the hospital, it is discovered that there is no vaginal opening. The opening is covered with a membrane that needs to be surgically incised. It is a small procedure. So there is indeed a Vagina but needs a little help to open up. The girls usually feel pain in the lower abdomen at certain time of the month but no period. The pain is caused by accumulation of blood in the vaginal vestibule. That is what prompts a visit to hospital. Of course it Could also be that truly the lady in question has no Vagina. But most likely really just imperforate Vagina. This is why knowledge is key and ignorance a deadly disease. My people person for lack of knowledge o. They could have gone to the hospital for proper diagnosis but coming out to spew this can of worms.

• Florence

April 29, 2015 at 10:26 pm

*perish

• tunmi

April 30, 2015 at 12:09 am

Thank you for saving me the trip to Uncle Google

7. Florence

April 29, 2015 at 10:32 pm

*Imperforate hymen.

8. DayoI

April 29, 2015 at 11:51 pm

We desperately need better sexual education in Nigeria.
    Enough of this, “you’ll find out when its time” nonsense! We need to teach late primary and secondary school kids (especially) about their bodies, what to expect when, and what to do if the expected does not happen.
    Having irregular periods alone warrants medical checkup. Why then had ‘NO periods ever’ been investigated?

On another note:
    I have noticed that most Nigerians like to practice not going to the hospital until the symptoms/illness has almost become untreatable. We cause some of our own problems honestly. I myself have been guilty on many occasions, but thankfully I have finally realised that I’m not helping anyone by doing that.
    Yes, our healthcare system is bad and requires you to pay before service, but wouldn’t it be better to get rid of something with a few thousand Nairas, than wait for it to become millions?
    (Some would even go to the extent of using the same amount of money for alternative therapy that has no proof of success).

That being said, the government has a very tough job ahead to ensure that medical healthcare is very accessible for every single Nigerian.
    I was so disgusted by many of the things I witnessed when I did a 6-week work experience at a Nigerian university teaching hospital back in 2012. I couldn’t believe how medicine was still being practiced successfully when most people couldn’t afford diagnostic tests, and their medication. Very sad.
    I do pray that I can make a difference there someday. But first, hard work awaits.

9. chifire

April 30, 2015 at 8:24 am

No sex for 3 years?
    Na lie, d guy jst added d no vagina story for effect.

10. Ebony

April 30, 2015 at 8:54 am

*Commenting only based on the headline*
    What happened to for better or worse?

11. hon

April 30, 2015 at 10:08 am

..always in ogun state. this their customary court sef don try… different types of funny cases.lols

12. effu

April 30, 2015 at 11:53 am

They don’t have sex for years why then do they always pray to God for children, did someone get pregnant without sex?

• chi-e-z

May 12, 2015 at 6:57 pm

aha now.. them they wait for jesus 2 dey come through with virgin birth nauw 😀 … ignorance is a bad thing menh… ppl don’t know that virgin birth bit was also added into christainity by sm early .church olodos.