Style

BN Beauty: From Olive to Argan – View the Top 10 Essential Oils for Natural & Relaxed Hair!

Sharms

BN Beauty  - BellaNaija - February 2015_001

Hair care has become seemingly more complicated since the outburst of various Youtube channels, beauty blogs/vlogs and more. Readers are bombarded everyday with various hair care tips and tricks and at some point, it gets extremely difficult to keep up with it all.

And don’t even get me started on all those oils. Both ladies with relaxed hair and those with natural hair are constantly told to use this particular oil, or to stay away from that oil or to use one particular product over the other, which can all be extremely overwhelming.

So, with that being said, I am here to help sieve through all that information. Here are my top 10 oils (for both relaxed and natural hair) and their uses. This list will give you a fair idea of what each oil does, so you can then mix and match to fulfill your hair care needs.

Enjoy!

1. Olive Oil

BN Beauty - Bellanaija - May 2015007 This is a favourite in the natural hair camp. But to get the best benefits of olive oil, you need to make sure you are getting the PURE kind, which I haven’t found yet and that’s a little worrying. I find that it works best when you mix it with castor oil for a hot oil treatment, or you mix it in with your deep conditioner. It is also good for sealing in your moisturizer for that lustrous look.

2. Coconut Oil

BN Beauty - Bellanaija - May 2015001

Coconut oil is also a favourite because of its light weight. Having gained a lot of popularity over the years, coconut oil is great because it is a carrier oil which basically means it can penetrate the hair follicles. If it is used with water, it is able to transfer the moisture into the hair follicles easily. You can also mix coconut oil in with your shampoo if you find that it is too drying, or you want to give your conditioner that extra boost.

3. Glycerin

BN Beauty - Bellanaija - May 2015002 Glycerin is a humectant which means it allows your hair to absorb as much moisture from the atmosphere as possible. It is great for dry  & brittle hair which breaks easily.

You can also use glycerin to deep condition or add to your other oils in a spray bottle. It works best when applied to damp hair and is especially great for reducing shrinkage in natural hair. You’re welcome!

4. Castor Oil

BN Beauty - Bellanaija - May 2015 This is what I use to massage my scalp every night (if I can). It really aids hair growth and soothes a dry itchy scalp. It is also a little heavier than coconut oil and so it is good for a ‘preepoo’ or hot oil treatment.

5. Aloe Vera Juice

BN Beauty - Bellanaija - May 2015006 This has basically the same idea as glycerin because it allows your hair grab and retain moisture and it can be used alone or with water in a spray bottle.

It is also great for soothing a dry and itchy scalp as it has soothing properties. It is great for the naturalistas who want to make their own hair ointment/spritz at home.

6. Grape seed Oil

BN Beauty - Bellanaija - May 2015008 This is an awesome light sealant and is also good for keeping your hair moisturized. The grape seed oil is very light and you can mix it with your moisturizer or deep conditioner for lush strands.

7. Argan Oil

BN Beauty - Bellanaija - May 2015004 This oil leaves your hair feeling soft and moisturized, and works best on damp hair. As great as it is for hair, both relaxed and natural, it tends to be a little expensive with a lot of hair brands incorporating it into their products.

8. Jojoba Oil

BN Beauty - Bellanaija - May 2015009 Jojoba oil is an extremely light oil that can be used to seal moisture in after applying a moisturizer. It is also great for soothing a dry, itchy scalp and can also be mixed in with your deep conditioner to provide your hair with more lubrication and for detangling strands.

9. Shea Oil (melted shea butter)

BN Beauty - Bellanaija - May 2015003 This is great if you are looking for a heavy sealant. I personally mix it with my deep conditioner. I also use actual shea butter on my roots when I am a few weeks post relaxer. It really softens my hair and leaves it looking shiny and aids moisture retention greatly.

10. Avocado Oil

BN Beauty - Bellanaija - May 2015005 Avocado is also great when it comes to sealing in moisture in your hair. It leaves your hair feeling soft and looking shiny which lasts for a long while.

Of course there is no need to use all these oils in your hair as most of them have the same use. I personally use Castor Oil, Shea Butter/Shea Oil and Coconut oil in my hair. I can’t be bothered with the others! 🙂 Check out all the products I use on my hair here.

Which oils do you use in your hair?

If you haven’t already, please subscribe to my Beauty Blog &  YouTube Channel and follow me on InstagramTwitter and like my Facebook.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime/William Moss | Kuleczka | Picstudio | Marcomayer | Tashka2000 | Luisa Puccini | Cristina Dini | Pipa100 | Denira777 | Monika Adamczyk | Picstudio

About the Blogger: Sharms Online is maintained by Sharmaine who currently holds an MSc in Marketing from the University of Leicester, UK and a BA in Business, Organizations and Society from Franklin & Marshall College, USA. Aside from 6 years of blogging on Sharms Online, Sharmaine has experience the Marketing industry in Ghana, having worked for various firms such as Multichoice Ghana and L'Oreal throughout her career. Sharmaine has also collaborated with brands like Vlisco, Maybelline NY Gh, Dark & Lovely Ghana and Sigma Cosmetics on the blog which has allowed her to merge her passion for beauty and fashion with her expertise in marketing.About the Blog: Sharms Online is a beauty/fashion/lifestyle blog which aims to empower and inspire Ghanaian women to be the best they can be. This is a safe space where Ghanaian women can ask questions about life, health, beauty, fashion and more. The main focus is to provide practical and easy beauty tutorials as well as fashion inspiration that all types of women can follow. Sharms Online also aims to showcase hidden gems all over Ghana (beauty, salons, boutiques, travel locations, restaurants etc).Find Sharms Online sharmsonline.com Instagram & Twitter - @sharmsonline [email protected]

1. atlstyle

May 15, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Exactly, I also use just shea, coconut, and castor oils cos they are the only ones you are guaranteed to get the real raw and pure stuff from Africa and Jamaica

2. @edDREAMZ

May 15, 2015 at 3:13 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Thats nice…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• raised eyebrow

May 15, 2015 at 4:15 pm

no doubt.

3. Amy

May 15, 2015 at 3:31 pm

All these things that cost an arm and a leg to find in naija not to talk about purchasing

• Oroma

May 15, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Ah ah, you guys can say what you’re not sure of. Hard to find in Naija, really? Go to Vanity Oils, Estella’s Pride, Konga, Jumia, etc and you’ll find them. Just say you don’t know where to get them. I use these oils all the time.

4. enya

May 15, 2015 at 4:20 pm

ofcourse u de Jupiter because na African hair ..if na human hair na u go de earth
    .# black men# typical..team natural all the way!

5. dobzi

May 15, 2015 at 4:51 pm

I use Shea and castor oils

Check out my makeup blog
    dobzifingers.blogspot.com/?m=1

6. puzzles

May 15, 2015 at 5:14 pm

shea butter did wonders for my hair! everyone around me is commenting. started combining with castor oil before fixing my hair. if my hair can become as long as sunita, I shall be happy.

7. tunmi

May 15, 2015 at 6:02 pm

How did the baddest one not get included: Tea Tree Oil. Na so I bought one 1 oz bottle for 10.99. The moment I smelled it I almost felt like slapping myself. The smell was so familiar, I just didn’t know what we call it. Another one is coconut oil, Adi agbon. I request that of my grandma to help me buy it. That and ori (Shea butter).

What are these oils called in your part of Naija?

I truly cannot wait to see Made in Nigeria oils sold in the US. I know naturalnigerian.com sells some and the packing is attractive (time to go cyberlocate them on the social networking sites)_ but I wonder if they would consider shipping to the US. BN could you help here? Are there other Nigerians or other Africans selling “made in respective African country” oils that are available in the US

• Jay baby

May 15, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I bought natural Nigerian, one of the essential oils in Ebeano and I was so disappointed. Lavender and Lemon, it was actually a fragrance and not an essential oil. I just buy now products from savvy chic, to be safe.

8. Funmi

May 15, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Thanks for sharing

9. oluwaseun

May 15, 2015 at 8:12 pm

I use shea oil nd coconut oil. I like d work of shea butter it makes my undergrow hair soft, easily to comb. Pls what other oil can I use dat has nutrients like castor oil. Castor oil is difficult to see in my area.

• Jay baby

May 15, 2015 at 8:57 pm

You can use Jojoba Oil and Coconut Oil. For essential oils, I like Peppermint and Eucalyptus Oil.

• toluh

May 16, 2015 at 10:19 am

get castor oil in a pharmacy, or what we call chemists.

• Ola

May 16, 2015 at 3:42 pm

You can get castor oil anywhere. You can get in a pharmacy, you can get in hair shops, you can get on Konga and Jumia, Estella’s Pride, SavvyChic, AN, many places.

10. Shandi

May 15, 2015 at 9:05 pm

No offense, this writer has no idea what she’s talking about. “Top ten essential oils”, really?
    Argan Oil isn’t an essential oil. Coconut, Castor, Olive, Avocado, Jojoba and Grape Seed Oils are carrier oils, not essential oils. Shea Butter can be referred to as a butter/emollient/oil. Essential oils are concentrated oils or aromatherapy like Eucalyptus, Ginger, Jasmine, Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Tea Tree, etc.
    You guys should learn to research before sending out posts, most people rely on some of this information.

• Shandi

May 15, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Unless of course she meant top ten essential oils, essential as in vital/effective oils. Only then.

Sharms

May 16, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Hi! yes, I used the word essential with the actual definition in mind – important/ necessary/ vital. Thank you for reading!

Sharms

May 18, 2015 at 11:53 am

No problem! Thanks for reading

Sharms

May 16, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Hi! , Shandi, yesI used the word essential with the actual definition in mind – important/ necessary/ vital. I can assure you that extensive research goes into all of my blog posts as I am fully aware of the audience numbers. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, you can check out my beauty blog makeupbysharms.com for more from me!

• Shandi

May 16, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Hello Sharms,
      Thanks for the feedback.

You indeed researched. I figured later on you meant essential as in, vital. Please it’s always good to specify, some of this people aren’t as informed or knowledgeable about hair care and oils like you. They’ll have thought otherwise.

Sorry for the mix-up, Hun.

Thanks for the post too! ?

• Shandi

May 16, 2015 at 3:36 pm

These*

11. Mayowa

May 15, 2015 at 9:12 pm

For butters, I use Mango Butter and Shea Butter. They’re both very good, of course Shea Butter takes the highest score. However, when I want less grease, I use Mango Butter.
    For oils, Castor Oil is great, rapid hair growth, edges, thick hair, etc. However, my hair is thick so I just stick to Coconut and Avocado Oil.
    For essential oils, Peppermint Oil and Tea Tree Oil for the win.

12. Yorubalady

May 15, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Castor oil can be found at any pharmacy and it is quite inexpensive,( expectant mothers use it to reduce nausea). You don’t have to buy the expensive black Jamaican version.

Sharms

May 16, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Thank you so much for reading & commenting!

13. missj

May 15, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Hi tunmi, there are other Africans who sell African oils in the US.I sell the east African Shea butter (Shea nilotica) & baobab oil which are also great staples for hair as well as skin.The Shea nilotica is way softer and doesn’t smell as strong(very mild scent) as the west African Shea; it’s also unrefined.Another lovely and gentle hair oil great for sensitive skin and scalp is the water melon seed oil from Namibia known as Ootanga oil, doesn’t leave a greasy feeling and it’s good for oily/sensitive skin.You can get more info on the net about all this oils.

• tunmi

May 15, 2015 at 11:50 pm

:DDDD drop the link na make I patronize small. I’m still waiting on Sugabelly to make a phone case for my moto x

14. Hair oil user

May 15, 2015 at 10:22 pm

for those in the UK, check for your Argan oil, coconut oil, glycerine, biotin oil, and pure olive oil from Boots (in-store and online)

I use these everyday as a mix and its magical.
    Thank me later!

Sharms

May 16, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Thank you so much for reading & commenting!

15. lene

May 15, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Pls sharms I ve a very bad hair. Is nt growing alway cuting no front hair again, pls wic product can I use .tank u

• Laz

May 16, 2015 at 2:20 am

Buy Castor Oil, Coconut Oil and Jojoba Oil, get a spare bottle or container, pour equal amounts of both oils into the bottle or container, then add some drops of eucalyptus and peppermint oil to the mixture and shake well. Apply all over your hair, concentrating on the scalp, massage it well, do this very frequently p. Like miss j said above, avoid tight hairstyles and too much manipulation. Stay away from Ghanaian braids, or tight braids.
      Try to stay away from shampoos that have sulphate, some of them cause dryness, which in turns leads to hair loss. Avoid too much heat on you hair. Make sure your hair is always moisturized and make sure you’re on a balanced diet. 🙂

Sharms

May 16, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Thank you so much for reading & commenting!

Sharms

May 18, 2015 at 11:59 am

Hi! I actually wrote a post very recently about growing long & strong hair. You can check it out here: http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/04/16/i-grew-long-relaxed-healthy-hair-here-are-5-tips-so-you-can-too/

You can also find more hair tips on makeupbysharms.com/hair

Thanks for reading

16. missj

May 15, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Lene try mixing rosemary essential oil in baobab oil or castor oil and applying/massaging on your scalp.Drink alot of water and make sure your diet is rich in fruits and vegetables.You can try tea rinses & don’t be hard with your hair (tight braids, cornrows etc)avoid over manipulation of your hair.

17. Jen

April 20, 2016 at 8:00 pm

the best oils are castor and coconut oils.you can get from Vanity oils nig

18. Jen

April 20, 2016 at 8:03 pm

mix both castor oil and coconut oil the same amount n apply on ur scalp two times in a week

19. ruth

February 1, 2017 at 3:17 am

The best I’ve used is Pro Naturals 🙂

20. argan oil morocco

March 20, 2018 at 6:50 pm

interesting thanks for your post