Scoop

Breastfeeding Model Covers Elle Australia Magazine’s June 2015 Issue & the Photo Has Got People Talking

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

el0615cov_nic_FIN_mktP2Another magazine cover is causing quite the controversy and this time its Australian model, Nicole Trunfio, photographed breastfeeding her son Zion Rain on the cover of Elle’s June 2015 issue.

The cover shot was actually a candid moment snapped by Georges Antoni.

Justine Cullen, Editor-in-chief of Elle Australia explains that “This wasn’t a contrived situation: Zion needed a feed, Nicole gave it to him, and when we saw how beautiful they looked we simply moved her onto the set. It was a completely natural moment that resulted in a powerful picture.”

The 29-year-old model who was moved to tears by the cover, wrote about why she believes the image is a significant one in an Instagram post on Thursday.

There is nothing more powerful and beautiful than motherhood. The last thing I want to do is be controversial, so please take this for what it is, let us #normalizebreastfeeding there is nothing worse than a mother that is judged for feeding her hungry child in public. #weareonlyhuman I’m so proud of this cover and for what it’s stands for. I obviously don’t look like this while I am breastfeeding but this stands for all women out there, whether you breastfeed or not, we gave birth, we are women, we are mothers. Thank you to ELLE for being so bold and making such an encouraging, positive and healthy statement. #womenunite.

While a number of people love the cover and describe it as magnificent among other words, other people are of the opinion that it is an offensive cover.

el0615cov_nic_FIN_mktP1

What do you think?

Photo Credit: Elle Australia

1. Anon

May 22, 2015 at 9:08 am

But it isn’t offensive when the same models strip naked for these same mags. RME!

Maybe, it’s the baby’s bum in the first picture that they should have covered like she did with her fingers in the second one.

2. zelda

May 22, 2015 at 9:09 am

there is nothing offensive about it,i like it

3. t

May 22, 2015 at 9:14 am

Love it..Breast feeding babies should be encoraged..

4. Chizzy

May 22, 2015 at 9:15 am

Motherhood is a beautiful thing but the cover would’ve been so magnificent if she had worn the baby some clothes.
    *my opinion *

5. kenitola

May 22, 2015 at 9:32 am

nothing offensive please, next jist jare

6. mj mama

May 22, 2015 at 9:37 am

She as done well

7. www.thelmathinks.com

May 22, 2015 at 9:38 am

Absolutely love it! Funny how they don’t get offended by Rihanna baring her peirced nipples for the world to see. But the picture of a mother innocently feeding her innocent child causes a stir? Pathetic.
    But please what’s with this Rain that a lot of celebs are naming their babies these days…

• Anon

May 22, 2015 at 11:08 am

It’s not the rain that falls that they are named after. It’s actually an alternative spelling of Reine and Raine. Its origin is French and means queen.

• Anon

May 22, 2015 at 11:10 am

It’s also a unisex name. So maybe king, since she named him that.

• molarah

May 23, 2015 at 12:09 am

Aa-reee! Thanks for the clarification, this question has been puzzling me for a while too. But why don’t they just stick to the Reine spelling, that would make things easier to understand?

• S!

May 22, 2015 at 9:34 pm

But some people also complain about Rihanna’s nudity. No matter what you do in life, ppl will complain.

8. Ms_oyinkansola

May 22, 2015 at 9:41 am

its a good thing as it helps promote breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is the best for babies. I like the cover. my only issue with the picture(s) is the naked baby. please wear some clothes for the baby naa at least a pant/short is okay. I wont be happy to know my mum had me on a magazine cover without pant as a baby!

9. http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

May 22, 2015 at 9:42 am

Its not offensive, but it not particularly artistic. Its natural to breastfeed your baby its also natural to put your baby in clothes while feeding so what is this trying to achieve? That models are not superhuman and always as perfect as you think? We kinda of get that already! On to the next thing biko!

10. Mizzy

May 22, 2015 at 9:42 am

I luv it n Deres Nothng controversial abt d pics

11. Ada Nnewi

May 22, 2015 at 9:54 am

I absolutely love the cover!

12. Adewale

May 22, 2015 at 10:01 am

The travail of motherhood on the survival of her offspring transcends beyond wearing apparel either in private or public place.if you disbelief this;i will advise you to visit our local market and see traders in sheer display of implicit motherlove!

• lateefah

May 22, 2015 at 6:51 pm

You are sooooooooooo right. I prefer this to the nakedness models display

13. Niola

May 22, 2015 at 10:46 am

Adewale thanks!!! I do not see how this is offensive. I breastfeed/Breasfed my baby in the exact same manner, and would definitely do this taking off his clothes when NEPA/PHCN, generator and inverter have failed to give us some ventilation.

14. Lois

May 22, 2015 at 11:48 am

I would have loved to see the baby in at least a DIAPER. Beautiful cover al the same

15. olu

May 22, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I can bet majority of the complaints are from females. obirin l’ota obirin

16. Joliebebe

May 22, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!! I lof it feri mosh!

17. tutu

May 22, 2015 at 11:49 pm

For God’s sake how is this offensive!!… if anything I. Believe it’s empowering.
    If she was to pose half naked I bet they wouldn’t be complaining… humans! #sigh

18. Patricia Hatherly

May 25, 2015 at 1:54 am

Fabulous photo; it reminds me of a similar one many years ago featuring Jerri Hall feeding her infant son Gabriel Jagger.

19. Jhennique

May 26, 2015 at 8:13 am

I absolutely love it!!!!!