Relationships

Emma Nyra Opens up on Ubi Franklin Abuse & Says ‘I don’t want to be involved with anything that has to do with Ubi Franklin ever again’

Ubi Franklin's Birthday Party in Lagos - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 029According to an interview Emma Nyra had with Vanguard newspaper recently, she was physically and verbally terrorized by Ubi Franklin while she was a member of the Triple MG record label.

Following the drama from the past weeks, a member of Vanguard newspaper allegedly reached out to Emma Nyra and this is what she had to say:

On if she left the label because of Lilian Esoro: Obviously, this is a lie

On dating Ubi Franklin: Ubi and I never dated. Rather he terrorised me for years. He abused me and other members of the label with physical and verbal force. This is why I left Triple MG the first time.

On Ubi Franklin’s interview: He claims he spent money on me but failed to mention that he never gave me my payment for all the tours I have done alongside Iyanya.

On what really went on at the label: The true story lies between me and other members of Triple MG who have all chosen to be silent because of fear of one man.

On abuse: I do not support abuse of women or men. That is why I left. I don’t want to be involved with anything that has to do with Ubi Franklin ever again. Honestly, I don’t want to see my name associated with Ubi in any way.

On making headlines: Let these lies die down. I am moving on with my career. Thank God.

Vanguard newspaper also reached out to Ubi Franklin about the matter and he said:

In every matter of this nature, there is always your side, my side, their side and the truth. Only God knows the truth and in good time, the truth will come to light. God never sleeps. Everything that’s hidden will come to the open in God’s time. No need to speak to defend yourself or defend anyone.

Read up the full feature here.

1. jess

May 4, 2015 at 6:11 pm

First time I met this guy I did not even know who he was. He was so arrogant, throwing the f word everywhere . My colleague said he is Iyanya’s Manager and is usually a pain in the ass . I pity people that work with him, if not for my colleague I was short of walking him out.

• Rooting for the Truth

May 6, 2015 at 11:11 am

As an insider very close to both Ubi and Emma I have to be honest and shed some light on this situation…

1. EMMA NYRA was ONLY signed to Made Men Music because she was Ubi Franklins girlfriend,
      the record label was not funding her career (i.e Iyanya) Ubi Franklin was paying for her career as Iyanya
      did not want her on the label mixing business with pleasure..

2. UBI Franklin was dating Emma Nyra for 4/5 years on and off- THIS IS FACT!!
      She can deny it as much as she wants but The industry knows this was the worst best kept secret!
      How do you sleep in the same bed, have s*x, argue about each other cheating if you are not in a relationship?!

3. Ubi WAS violent toward Emma while they were dating…. She was not being forced to date him, she was
      dating/sleeping with him because of the money he was spending on her lousy career!
      – Flying her to Europe & America first class
      – PAYING FOR HER TO BE ON THOSE TOURS SHE CLAIMS SHE HASN’T BEEN PAID FOR!
      – Paying for her to have a ‘Stylist’ all year round.
      – Paying for her N3million music videos.. and spending millions on promo
      Ubi wasn’t lying when he said he spent 35 million naira on pushing her… tell me what female or male artist signed to a label
      without ONE HIT RECORD has that kind of investment?! Does she think her fans are fools??

4. Ubi Frankiln was so obsessed with her that her forfeited his NEA ‘Manager of the year’ award and paid for them to give it to
      Emma Nyra instead…She has no shame flaunting an award she didn’t win fair and square!
      Instead the same man you claim tortured you paid for your ONE AND ONLY RELEVANT AWARD!

5. Emma was sleeping with quite a few industry people….Burna boy, D’Prince and Ice prince to name a few…

6. Emma nyra left MMMG in 2013 (she claimed her contract expired) this was true but she also fell out with Ubi and called a huge meeting where the violence was raised but she again lied about being in a romantic relationship with him. Her family asked her to leave the label to which she did….only for the SAME FAMILY to beg her to be allowed to come back when they realised that she could not finance her career without the help of Ubi. Why would Emma return for 2 more years if she was being ‘tortured’ and ‘forced’

A word of advice to both Ubi and Emma….

Emma: If you cannot tell the truth keep quiet, half-truths make you look insincere and unreliable. Be woman enough to admit that you sold your
      Dignity for money, you allowed your body to be abused and used because of financial gains… tell the truth. Also, I suggest you keep your legs closed and stop sleeping with industry men, you are beginning to get a reputation. You have more to offer than your body, try using your brains!

Ubi: You need counselling for your anger issues, abusing women is NEVER ok… I hope you have learned that mixing business with pleasure is hardly ever a good idea when the balance of power isn’t equal….

2. Bruness

May 4, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Are they still dwelling on this spat?

3. Kadara

May 4, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Good , she’s finally found the courage to call him out on his violent and abusive ways. Knew after his interview giving details of how much he spent on her career and blah blah (trying to paint himself as the victim) she’ll finally come out and talk about the abuse. The new chick sure dodged a bullet .

4. Duchess Maria

May 4, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Why is she just coming out to talk about it? I feel her pain but girl you had a million and one chances. Now you wanna bring it up when the matter is done and dusted. Wrong timing.

Also if you are moving on with your career, just fashy discussing the guy. Dodge all further questions and people will get tired of asking.

• Bimps

May 4, 2015 at 6:57 pm

There’s no time frame for someone to speak out after being abused. Moreover the Ubi guy has been trash talking about her recently. I see nothing wrong in her defending herself and exposing his abusive behind.

• Lilo

May 5, 2015 at 3:16 am

• Asgrl

May 5, 2015 at 3:53 am

I feel where Emma Nyra is coming from. Out of respect for Ubi’s relationship, she repeated time and time again she did not date him. Because the same people accusing her of lying would be the same people saying “oh, why is she talking about her relationship when he just got engaged, She must be bitter”. Anyways. She’s has said her own and she had moved on. Let the matter close now.

5. The girl who flies planes

May 4, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Bia, Emma na Ubi o seti go?
    anamu aju aju kan were understandia ife na kwado ime ugbua.
    Ubi, shior kelebe………… *clapping my hands and tying my gele on my waist*
    Fade Ogunro said it anyways!

6. Ona

May 4, 2015 at 6:36 pm

This one deserves a whole bottle of wine while reading. I dey come.

7. bruno

May 4, 2015 at 7:03 pm

this is what weak and bitter women do when they break up with a guy. weak women love to use the “he abused me physically and verbally card” always. they know society will take their side because society is very one sided when it comes to domestic violence. men are always the monsters in every situation.

emma nyra can u come out and say u never for once hit ubi franklin , u never for once abused him verbally. there’s 2 sides to every story. untik we hear ubi franklin’s side thats when we can draw a conclusion.

emma nyra you are looking for sympathy and pity from the public. I will never give it to u.

when u were spending his money were u complaining, u stayed because he was showering you with cash and gifts. so don’t come out and start complaining.
    oya give him back all the gifts he bought for u, pay back all the money he spent on u. nonsense.

nigerians ladies pls,u can’t have it both ways. if he hit u and u stayed because of he’s money and gifts pls don’t come out and start complaining when he dumps u for another chic.

• Ann1

May 5, 2015 at 12:58 am

You’re so stupid gosh! You’re one of the reasons why women are always afraid to come out and say they were abused. What if she was really abused? Just be quiet and sit In your little corner please.

• chi-e-z

May 5, 2015 at 1:04 am

abeg bruno no come again oh….ha… you and your support of domestic violence. e be like say no woman including ur mama ever hugged u well when u were a child. issiorait ehn ndo’nu I’ll cyber hug u. chai, nwoke’ke na

• heeba

May 5, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Go and take several seats…..Did you re-read your comment you sound illiterate and unenlightened. He abused her she should be quiet because he spent money on her did they force him to spend money on her?
      Please all ladies if you are being abused ,terrorised, victimised both physical and mentally wether you chopeed his money or not. let your feet touch your head and leave that relationship!!! Do not feel obligated!! Make sure you speak about it to family friends and even the public whenever you are ready as other people will learn from your experience.
      Bruno ko Mars ni……

• Me

May 5, 2015 at 6:38 pm

This is the most stupid thing I’ve ever read. You sound like you have some insecurity issues. What have women you’ve come across done to you?

8. Carliforniabawlar

May 4, 2015 at 7:04 pm

In Obesere’s voice….won tun ti de…e de!! lol…I’m such a tout 😀
    Meanwhile this gist has never been my cut of tea o, but I have found it quite entertaining, and have come up with what seems to be a middle ground between both versions of the story. And here it goes….Story, story, story….once upon a time, time, time…..

So Emma gets a ‘record deal’ with Ubi, they become friends (more like oga & omoshe) with benefits. Our Americana omoshe continues to mingle with other guys (afterall she is single). Oga, being a chauvinistic Nigerian man who is trying to feel funky but doesn’t quite grasp the concept of FWB gets hella pissed cos he thinks a girl allowing you to shine means you now own her punta. He lashes out and starts wozing her on the steady, but she stays because of her career. I don’t know what happened between him getting engaged and her finally leaving the label…

So we see here that neither of them are lying but the result of the miscommunication on who stands where in this their situationship is what has now turned both of them into the butt of most jokes in the entertainment industry.

Using the Dr. Dre and Michele’le model of producer/woman-beater vs. upcoming star situation (giving another meaning to BEATS by Dre)….I fear (using the word fear loosely) Emma’s career may be over before it even started or she might end up on RB DIvas Eko while homeboy might as well launch is billion dollar headphones franchise called GBOSA by Ubi.

• Thatgidigirl

May 4, 2015 at 8:15 pm

olorun! u’re a tout….but we accept you like that, wetin we go do? lol

• zaynnnnab

May 4, 2015 at 9:43 pm

LOL
      ‘RnB divas’ Eko killed me

• D

May 4, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Lmao @ GBOSA from ubi.girl u cray!

• Que

May 5, 2015 at 9:07 am

Dead at ‘Gbosa’ by Ubi…..lmao!

9. Busarni

May 4, 2015 at 7:04 pm

She should just move on already. Beginning to sound like a broken record on this issue. You were in denial before; so what changed now?
    Abeggi

10. Busarni

May 4, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Abeggi make I hear

• Lilo

May 5, 2015 at 3:15 am

Stop trying to stifle her. That’s her truth and she has a right to keep talking until she feels it’s time to move on. I friggin hate it when women are expressing heart ache and the best some of you can say is “let it go” or ” move on” . You just don’t get it…it takes time to start liking someone so to say just move on in a whim is a lazy and thoughtless advise. Heartbreak is like losing a loved one..you have to grieve and then heal unless you never truly cared about the person. At the appointed time Emma will Hesl until then, stop trying to shush her feelings.

11. @edDREAMZ

May 4, 2015 at 7:16 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    This babe don spoil Ubi show o….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

12. ladybird93

May 4, 2015 at 7:20 pm

why isn’t he in prison?!!!!

• Ebiere

May 4, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Prison in nigeria? #fairytale

13. Lomi

May 4, 2015 at 8:04 pm

A way to tell if someone is lying is if when asked to defend themselves instead of being straightforward with their answer they start quoting God and scripture for u. Was it not you that was asked for the truth and not God.

14. Ubi Franklin is still WRONG!

May 4, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Once again, some of the comments on here only point to more reasons why Emma did not speak up in the first place. Reality is half of the people who read this on here do not care. She speaks out, someone will say “oh why is she speaking now” she doesn’t speak out, she’s making it up or she is continually vilified for sleeping with Ubi. WE GET IT, she dated Ubi, he was her manager, she shat where she ate, it was wrong but this does not and will never ever take away from the fact that this man physically abused her. Please move past your love of gist and reason a little bit. She is not the first artist in this world to date her manager, and she did not deserve to be treated the way she was. Too many people have chosen to be silent about this issue in our industry. Ubi Franklin everyday for the thief…

• Latifa

May 5, 2015 at 7:24 am

I will never support domestic violence but we can’t draw up conclusion based on one side of the story. Sometimes women lie to gain public sympathy so until we have proof that he actually abused her then i rest my case. Men and women equally go through domestic violence so why are we being on sided about this issue??

• Ubi Franklin is still WRONG

May 5, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Story. What this guy does is common knowledge in the industry, and it still remains in hush hush and speculation because too many people who know are tied to him and MMG Money , so no one is going to speak up. I don’t deny that women make up stories but this Ubi story is NOT a LIE. I really can’t wait for this thing to blow in his face. People have had enough.,

15. Misi

May 4, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Ubi is a bigtime PERV!!!!!! Quote me.

16. Anon

May 4, 2015 at 9:12 pm

It was a symbiotic relationship and they are both enablers. She shouldn’t have stayed as long as she did especially because he was beating her. I hate that in men. No matter what she did, beating a woman is very low. I hope she stops talking about him.

17. Kokie

May 4, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Emma, I like you and have always admired your hard work etc. That said, you are riuninf your brand by harping on this story. there are 2 things that seem to be going on (based on what I have read)
    There is the abuse and non payment for performances/work etc.
    Let’s start with the easy one. If he is owing you for work of any sort, you have legal recourse. take that action and sue his butt off. You should neverhave hung around someone for 4/5 years with no payment. The length of time without pay raises eyebrows. anyway, sue for your money or go to abritration

The more difficult matter. question for you, why on earth where you in a long term relationship with someone that was abusing you physically and verbally and financially (since you say he was not paying you? I would have taught growing up in the western world would have better prepared you to deal with that. If he hurt you, maimed you as an employee, there should be legal recourse to deal with abuse innthe work place. You REALLY need to see a good lawyer.

However, if these things are matters of the heart andyou are only bring it up now due to the recent engagement, it seems like sour grapes and that you are lashing out. Whatever it is, take this offline to the apropriate venue. Yes, you may get some sympathy ut your brand is being damaged and you should not present yourself as a hapless woman particularly in your field of endeavour.
    3 or 4 years withiut pay ???? mmmhm. nuf said

• Wendy

May 4, 2015 at 10:52 pm

You make a lot of sense, but where you got it wrong is that she’s lashing out cos of his (now failed) engagement…This girl never said a word about abuse and non-payment until uncle decided to wash all her dirty laundry in public forgetting that he had some of his too…
      But then again you are right…she needs to let it go…either that, or go to court.

Emma baby, you don’t want to become ‘that girl’…yea the public will empathize with you, but that might hurt your brand even more….take a cue from Rihanna…her whole bad girl riri image wouldn’t be worth a dime if she had dwelt on the Chris Brown issue…Better still, buckle up girly and just sing a Mary J Blige ‘no more drama’ type of ballad about Ubi if you have the vocal abilities to and cash on this situation…xoxo

• cleo

May 5, 2015 at 11:12 am

Great Advice Wendy. Make the most of it positively. Way to go Emma, take Wendy’s advice

18. Nma

May 4, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Story for the gods.

19. Ann1

May 5, 2015 at 1:00 am

That’s probably why his fiancé left him.

20. chi-e-z

May 5, 2015 at 1:10 am

Well since I knew about emma b4 she moved 2 naija. I can say she sounded really nice and not this razz what you people do 2 her ? 😀 Yes I just said you people that way 🙂 but really i’m seriously hoping she finds her way. She’s real nice & funny worse come 2 worse ur gidil fans still <3 u. We gat u.

21. Lilo

May 5, 2015 at 3:11 am

I have always been team Emma ….thanks for speaking up against domestic violence,. Ubi was a FWB who started catching feelings…shior

22. cleo

May 5, 2015 at 7:42 am

Emma, next time get a proper contract for anything you want to do. That is what caused all this. If he was abusive and not paying you would have called him out. So learn from this mess and dont make the same mistake ever again. And stop talking about ubi.
    And Ubi, i guess your nemesis just gained wings.

23. fleur

May 5, 2015 at 11:01 am

You don’t want anything to do with him but you keep going back to talking about him. How does that work?

24. Bella

May 5, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Honestly, is this story still happening, till today, May 2015. Meanwhile do they both not see the negative publicity this is doing for their careers! is there no way to sit down between the both of you and hash this out privately! Ah ah what is all this razz rubbish back and forth, I dated her, I didn’t date him, at this point nobody cares cause we will never know the truth besides you both. Enough already.

25. BunmiAmara

May 5, 2015 at 6:18 pm

This is quite the story but you Emma put herself in this position where people now look down on her side of the story, why did she even think that sleeping with Ubi will last??? what career?? look we all make mistakes but there some that after we making them we should even come out and play victim instead we should accept it and move on with the quickness. she knows she did wrong and Ubi took advantage of that siutation ,it hurts and all but all this talking won’t do anything unfortunately.
    Now she need to show that she can make it wont Ubi and move on in the industry.as for Ubi jungle don mature shey ur GF/fiancee don run commot abi?? you think all women will tolerate ur trash???

26. Jokinly

December 28, 2016 at 1:34 am

I am back to this story because of the recent crash of his marriage to Lillian (alledgedy) and the fact that domestic violence is cited as a main factor. Oh Ubi….karma? Bad mistake? Mere coincidence or sheer misfortune?