Music

Seyi Shay Gets Called Out for Discrediting a Fan with 18,000 Likes on an Instagram Post

Seyi-Shay-for-Y-Africa-Magazine-August-2014-BellaNaija.com-01010-400x600Music star Seyi Shay has been running an Instagram competition for the past few weeks with her fans and followers submitting entries of them singing her ‘Jangilova’ song.

A particular entry by Debbie Veren got over 18,000 likes – the highest in the competition – with the closest to that entry being others with about 5,000 likes.

Seyi Shay wrote at the end of the competition that she suspects ‘Instagram likes’ had to have been bought for such a high number. She wrote:

Hey lovers, my #jangilovecompetition has finally come to an end, thank you for all your entries. We’ve had a blast and cried of laughter with them. It has also come to our attention that this entry has over 18,000likes. As much as I appreciate her sweet voice and the love to enter the competition, me wey get d page never even see up to 5000likes for any other post. We are aware that some people can buy likes on IG so alarm bells are ringing o! But seriously, this is very unfair to others who could have entered the competition fairly, I know say nobody wan carry last so PLEASE y’all, help me judge.. Thank you. (Winner is announce tomorrow)#jangilova

She also shared a photo of some of the ‘likers’ of Debbie’s post.

Seyi Shay

Seyi Shay’s reaction has however caused fans to call her out with the loudest voice being that of Timothy Elegbede, who sent off a series of angry Tweets on Twitter:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Other people on Instagram, including actor Mofe Duncan, have also expressed their displeasure in the way Seyi Shay addressed the situation and it has caused quite the debate on her Instagram page.

8 9 10 11 12 13 14

1. lol

May 20, 2015 at 10:26 am

Lol this is why people Dont like to host competitions. The chick that has 18,000 likes doesn’t even have up to that many followers. Cheaters will get called out.
    Abeg Seyi shay do your thing.
    People like to mess up other people’s chances of getting another chance at something like this.

• FinchleysFinest

May 20, 2015 at 11:07 am

This situation is tricky, but this is a wicked world so I don’t know who to believe. I voted by liking this video because the lady was the only reasonable singer at the time i checked Sheyi SHAY’S profile AND I didn’t bother to follow the lady (so its possible others did the same but…18k? ha! Jesus take the wheel)
      . But to see 18k likes now, the matter don tire me… I don’t know who to believe any longer…

2. Dayo

May 20, 2015 at 10:30 am

Bikooo who b Seyi Shay??

• Rt

May 20, 2015 at 11:48 am

Exactly what i wanted to ask…never heard of that name

3. Naked

May 20, 2015 at 10:42 am

When trouble sleep, yanga go wake am. Na wahala seyi shay dey find.

4. Suwa

May 20, 2015 at 10:44 am

Seyi, biko apologise to Debbie

• Bleed Blue

May 20, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Apologise to Debbie ke?

Am I the only one seeing that Seyi Shay has inadvertently provided free PR for Debbie? Me being a lawyer would have gone comatose from the embarrassment, but Debbie seems to be in the entertainment industry, therefore this is priceless. People pay for this kind of thing….heck people invent scandals just so they can be/stay in the news!

Debbie, prior to this, I didn’t know who you were, and now I do.
      Never heard your voice before, now I have.
      Methinks even if you didn’t win Seyi’s competition, you’ve won some darned good publicity.
      Now it’s up to you to decide how you use it from here.
      All the best. 🙂

PS: Although those “likers” do appear a bit shifty, I thought Instagram had done a massive clean-up of fake accounts so buying likes is no longer possible? Oh well…..

• God's Gold

May 27, 2015 at 2:45 pm

As a Lawyer I concur. I said a similar thing to my husband. Debbie Veren received free publicity she needs to pay up.

5. Miss_Flygerian

May 20, 2015 at 11:00 am

How is it that the majority of people who liked the video are white and chinko? Make people dey fear God na.

• Favour

May 20, 2015 at 12:35 pm

What Seyi Shay did was absolutely wrong! Her statement “me wey get d page never even see up to 5000likes for any other post” just messed it up for her even more.
      I mean, i did vote for her too myself and trust me, her campaign was out there! Do you know how many people she reached out to who also reached out to other people?
      Tbh, in my opinion, she was the best competitor there. This is uncalled for Funny enough, aA similar incidence happened with KC’s fine face competition too on IG.
      At the end of the day, all I would say is, they should stop with all the IG competitions. The criteria for judging is just wrong ad it doesnt guarantee that the best man wins, rather, its all about, the person with more exposure and connects wins. This is wrong!

• Miss_Flygerian

May 20, 2015 at 2:50 pm

The girl might be good but she definitely bought those likes. How do you explain the ridiculously large number of whites and asians liking the video? How? Let’s be real please.

Reminds me of when DJ Xclusive bought views for one of his music videos.

6. Anon

May 20, 2015 at 11:02 am

The devil that is Instagram!

7. nonye

May 20, 2015 at 11:19 am

Seyi should have conducted her investigations a little more discretely and taken a decision without putting up that post. Very unbecoming behaviour on her part.

8. yinkus

May 20, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Seyi please throw away this lipstick, it’s so ugly, no offence lol

• Anon

May 20, 2015 at 12:24 pm

I actually like it. Nude!

• Tosin

May 21, 2015 at 6:56 am

i remember that photo. great shoot. the texture of the blouse/thing she’s wearing – lovely.

9. bruno FIERCE

May 20, 2015 at 12:16 pm

seyi shay u have never gotten up to 18k likes because u are not a good singer and neither are u a good person.

biko a star is born-debbie veren,I am waiting for your new album.

• Tosin

May 21, 2015 at 6:56 am

see your mouth.

10. Ahubi

May 20, 2015 at 12:36 pm

its very possible jare. Ive had more likes on my instagram pix than people following me before, when you go to explore so many interesting things come up and you can like. well me i just voted [email protected] cos she has a lovely voice. let the votes keep rolling in. seyi shay ko, seyi shay niii

11. Ann1

May 20, 2015 at 1:19 pm

She’s abdlsolutely right! Look at the likes! They are all fake accounts! Abeg Seyi Sey, do your thing! Don’t mind these people!!!

12. talk

May 20, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I honestly don’t see how what she said was wrong.

She was simply trying to be fair to everyone and make sure the chick didn’t buy likes to win. People do this things you know

Boycottseyishay, lol. Ppl can like to occupy, smh

13. funkymeah03

May 20, 2015 at 1:39 pm

That statement “me wey get d page never even see up to 5000likes for any other post” is really really out of it..

14. FinchleysFinest

May 20, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Thanks to Sheyi Shay. Its all sorted. Debbie don win am . Now my thoughts

– None of Debbie’s video or picture reached 200 likes. Yet her video on Sheyi Shay has over 18,000 likes (There is God )
    – It is possible to buy likes on someone else’s profile(Yes Nigerians it is possible, get over it)
    -If truly Debbie bought likes, well, we’ll leave it for God to judge.

Moreover, Nigerians have issues with reading. Sheyi Shay didn’t call her out. She was totally shocked with the 18k likes and jokingly said in pidgin about her own likes as well. She clearly stated how she appreciates Debbie’s voice.

Sheyi Shay is talented and yes, better than Debbie (Get over it)

Poeple used that opportunity to insult SheyiShay and this is wrong… Nigerians especially, we wait for our celeb (the one we claim that we love) to make mistakes and just lash out on them, BUT i guess thats the price they get to pay for stardom..

• tish

May 20, 2015 at 8:50 pm

A million likes for this! Seyi did nothing wrong, that’s not calling out at all. 18000 likes indeed, who are we kidding here? Story for the gods.

• A

May 21, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Spot on @FinchleysFinest.. 18,000 likes sounds very improbable.

15. cheryl

May 20, 2015 at 2:25 pm

shey sheyi!!! d pained attention seeker, ok we all get it, u wished u had such likes on ur page, noted, next time we will like and like again, inugo, ppl will be supporting nonsense upandann, must she put up d girls video even if she doubt d authenticity of the likes, smh

16. Medina

May 20, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Sheyi Shay is just an all round annoying fellow…this has nothing to do with the debbiegate…based on her track record…if she’s not looking for how to be tiwa’s rival…she is throwing shades at amber Rose…and of course trying to seduce the president with tiny tiny material she called a dress…please she should just crawl into a hole and hibernate…and possibly come out like in 5 years with something decent to boost her career…

17. Seyi shaw

May 20, 2015 at 7:02 pm

I blanked out on this Seyi Shay girl when she made that statement about Amber Rose. That was so bad and envious. You carried ur legs and went for Dbanj show after he has announced for years that Amber Rose was the special appearance. She then got to the red carpet and made that statement. She just lost a fan right at that time.

18. seriously

May 20, 2015 at 8:33 pm

I just want to say that we have our Kanye West. Just that ours is female

19. Latifa

May 20, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Is it possible to buy likes in someone else’ page??

20. Bemused

May 21, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Seyi Shay”s instagram page is public, Meaning, you don’t have to follow her to like her posts. Therefore, it is possible for Debbie to get more likes than Seyi has followers…simples. The additional likes could have been from people just browsing celebrities and other public instagram accounts.

21. justsayin

May 21, 2015 at 10:27 pm

ahn ahnnnn!!!!!! . we understand your point but isn’t this a bit too harsh. anyways , what do i know o