Music

#BETAwards2015: Fuse ODG, Dencia React to BET Giving African Artists Awards Backstage & 5 Hours before the Show

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

BET AwardsFor the past few years BET Awards has given out awards to African artists either backstage or a few hours before the show.

This year, Ghanaian dancehall artist Stonebwoy won the ‘Best International Act Africa’ award and a few people have spoken up about the fact that he received his award hours before the actual event started.

Stonebwoy was nominated alongside Sarkodie, South Africa’s AKA and The Soil, Congolese singer Fally Ipupa, Kenyan Afro-Pop band Sauti Sol, and two Nigerian Pop stars, Wizkid and Yemi Alade.

Dencia and Fuse ODG expressed their distaste for BET’s way of doing things on social media.

Fuse ODG wrote:

Untitled

Dencia shared her thoughts on Instagram and stated that instead of people focusing on her outfit (click here if you missed it) they should focus on this.

Dencia

While u were worried about my outfit?your faves were waiting to give a speech in front of empty chairs with pictures at an award show made for black people.I wish y’all will be telling BET to fix that.Two years ago i spoke about that I was called a hater..FYI awards don’t come with money & awards don’t mean anyone is better than anyone (After all I have seen amazing artists get beat by not so good artists) so while u worried about me getting an award I am worried about where I’m gonna drive my Rolls Royce wraith to but for those of you who care I think African artists should be treated equally (like the American artists) how are you bringing cultures together if u aren’t putting them together officially? If the Oscars did the same thing all I’ll hear is racism..now take ur remaining data and help ur brethren (when they show u the awards in Africa it is edited to look like it was given in front of everyone)

1. Tobi

June 29, 2015 at 10:54 am

Wow! I have to agree with this Dencia lady, that’s just disrespectful. If they’re good enough for the awards, why aint they good enough to be given ‘publicly’?

2. Lady bird

June 29, 2015 at 10:59 am

That’s a shame..I’ve always suspected that African – Americans look down on Africans ..its not like they are different from us…We are all one people there’s no need to discriminate … This whole thing defeats the purpose BET stands for..smh

• polypoly

June 29, 2015 at 3:30 pm

STOP IT!!!! they do not owe Africans nothing ookkkkayyy!!! it is an award ceremony to celebrate African American Entertainment…..geez!!! can yall please let African-americans enjoy something by themselves….if its not oyibo dragging them, its Africans dissing them and calling them akata and thugs. please let them be.

it is a regional awards ceremony and not African Entertainment awards. Please tell Ebony Life or Silverbird to develop theirs.

• Jefferson

June 30, 2015 at 1:16 am

you are very stupid for saying this… you dont even respect yourself for saying this…. if they host Grammy Awards and give those african american the awards backstage, it would have been hell… if you dont respect yourselves then how do you respect other races to respect you?? #poorAfrica

• Tee

June 29, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Are y’all aware that a lot of awards are given back stage?? Even Toni Braxton during the Grammys received it during the red carpet. Y’all make a big deal out of everything for no reason. If you feel some type of way don’t bitch about it! Just don’t show up to the darn event. You think they give a f%#k whether y’all show up or not ? Africans be having huge egos for no reason! Manu award ceremonies hand out awards back stage, please do your research. Every little things always has to be about racism and you bloody Africans huh?
      Y’all just made me vent with all these baseless comments

• Ooo

May 22, 2016 at 7:39 pm

You’re an idiot. No one is dragging anything with African Americans. If they’re going to treat them differently, why invite them at all? Anyways, I blame our artists for attending to such foolery. Look who’s talking about pulling the race card… a black American? Spare me that crap

• Queen

June 29, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Well, probably their rationale is, “why should you come there to be given a high platform when it was your fore fathers who sold theirs into slavery! hence the genesis of all the racism that they currently face as African American living in the US”.

So in their defence, they could be trying to hold onto what ever tiny ego they have left. And if you don’t value BET awards which by the is an awards show that they (African Americans) have carved out for themselves by themselves, then you might as well boycott the show! stay back here in Africa and create your own rival awards show with similar credibility and let them be the ones to travel down here to be honoured for an award.

Until this happens, my dear naija celebs, you have no leg to stand on! Boycott the show or quit complaining

3. melinda

June 29, 2015 at 11:01 am

this is so disgusting……. i think bet stands for the blacks achievements in the music business… #TooBad

4. prince

June 29, 2015 at 11:06 am

I’ve heard this before and its very annoying pathetic. No single regard for a continent as large as ours. BET must fix this or our artist should stop showing up for the award.
    Bizzy Body Toolz and her colleagues were there to seat behind and upload pictures #BETAWARDS. Bullsh*t

5. mrs ootimist

June 29, 2015 at 11:09 am

Whaaattt???? This is rediculous! What’s wrong with black people for heaven’s sake. Dencia is so right. Kai m disappointed

6. Chicky

June 29, 2015 at 11:28 am

#word

7. omime

June 29, 2015 at 11:35 am

Ahhhh…i didn’t know oh. Its so embarrassing, I don’t get, r they ashamed of Africans or wht? BET! Better fix this, thanks for d tip Dencia but I still feel for u though

8. Busarni

June 29, 2015 at 11:39 am

BN, when I raised this issue last year or so. Some of our so claimed artistes denied it; that was when I knew that most of these our celebs are fake and continually seeking validation in a wrong way.
    If they continue seeking for validation in a wrong way, they will keep serving them sh*t. When @Bruno says there is racism amongst blacks; people that are yet to leave the shores of Nigeria will start yapping away with their device.

• Anna

June 29, 2015 at 12:18 pm

It is no news to anyone that black people are the worst kind of racists! And worse more it’s unto themselves. That is why I believe that racism will never die cos even if white ppl sound end it, blacks will continue it but unto themselves!
      What a shame!

• Queen

June 29, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Even my white colleague here who had lived in Africa as an expatriate says so himself too! that with all intents and purpose and from his own personal experience having lived amongst Africans for a good number of years, that blacks are even more racist unto each other than the White-to-black-racism and I couldn’t agree more (even though I didn’t visibly make him know I agreed to his observation)

9. deedee

June 29, 2015 at 11:43 am

Haba BET

10. Kadara

June 29, 2015 at 11:57 am

Fuse OGD one of the few African artists with self esteem it seems. Any African artist that attends that rubbish awards even you Denicia has no self respect. Why even attend an awards where your people are so clearly disrespected! I don’t even watch it again

• dee

June 29, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Ermm, Hello… Did you read the story at all? Fuse ODG didn’t attend the show!

• Below average

June 30, 2015 at 12:13 am

Did you read the comment before replying? He/she clearly stated Fuse has self esteem for not attending :/

Dencia can miss me with the bullsh!t… You carried yourself there to look for cheap publicity with your wretched outfit then have the nerve to form fake upset. Why didn’t you sit at home like Fuse? This girl irks my soul with her thirst for fame.

11. sophie

June 29, 2015 at 12:13 pm

well said Its very true BET have to do something, about this thing they have to change we are all Africans we need to see changes on this is not right .

12. sista

June 29, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I ve waited so long for something like this to happen and at long last it has. when u know ur worth, u don’t tolerate disrespect even in relationships.
    I was very disappointed when I earlier on saw pics of some of our celebs at the nominees party / jam.
    Fuse, U’ve earned my respect and I pray and just pray that others ll take note.

• polypoly

June 29, 2015 at 3:32 pm

but Fuse attended last year tho…..chaille bye!!! you only scream out loud when you are affected huh.
      DBanj walked the carpet once and was best dressed male. the other African acts will attend and dress like homeless kids, how do u expect BET to respect u???

• Hatsoff

June 29, 2015 at 4:58 pm

#Word

• Ayaba Olori

June 30, 2015 at 12:26 am

Your ignorance is as bad as that of BET itself.If you don’t understand what is going on i feel so sorry for you! This is about respect and earning respect for our kids and generations onborn.Do you think if people like Martin Luther King did not put their life on the line,you will get a lot of the equality you get today as a black man? Once upon a time,black artists and performers will perform at the biggest hotels and clubs in America,but before and after the show,they could not walk in through the front door as the paying people,they could not sit on the same tables,use the same swimming pools or rest rooms! Did they say,well,we are paid millions so who cares? No..they fought it..people like Sammy Davis Jnr and Nat King Cole,Muhammed Ali etc fought it.And they paved the way for all you people.Now waht BET is doing to Africans,how is it diffrent to what the white Americans did to them in the 40s,50s,60s,Yet they screamed racism then! They call an award a Black entertainment award and can’t find a slot for a whole continent as Africa which is the home of the black man? Just one single award1 And they do this year and year again,yet people like you come here and chat with the highest ignorance! I do feel sorry for this generation..ignorance sure is a disease!

13. Bella

June 29, 2015 at 12:37 pm

This has been the norm for the past couple of years and until the artists stand up and do something about it, like boycott this rubbish BET awards, then that means you do not value your music or reputation. This is disrespect of the music trade in the highest order! Get your life people! The time to stand for some change is now or forever hold your peace!

• polypoly

June 29, 2015 at 3:35 pm

hahahha!!! boycott gini….for every FuseODG and his whack singing, there are 5000 other global acts that will appreciate an invitation to BET. cmon gerraout

• Mugenyi, Uganda

June 30, 2015 at 8:07 am

Thing is whoever arrives first at the high-table looks down upon the next arrivals…as Africans in general decry their disrespect at the BETs back on the continent other countries wonder why it’s Nigeria & South Africa receiving most of the airplay on the likes of Trace TV, MTV Base & StarTimes Music. The MTV Base Africa nominations/awards too are biased towards Nigeria and South Africa as well. So yeah…double or call it triple standards all around. Maybe it’s a humanity flaw…

14. Californiabawlar

June 29, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Dencia should shut up jare…acting like she invented sliced bread…lol. Nigerians have been saying this for years!! I remember this was a big topic 2-3years ago. But since the artists have refused to listen kwa?? Let them go na…as long as Femi Kuti, Asa, Tuface, Timi….and others that actually make good music don’t go and drag themselves on the floor in front of these akatas then nothing do anybody.

In the meantime let Africans continue to develop Africa. This is the only way things will fall into place for ALL black related problems including black-black and black-white relations. It’s quite obvious no one is going to respect us as long as we continue to wallow in poverty, corruption and mediocrity.

15. felinda

June 29, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Akatas don’t respect Africans
    All you villagers back home who idolized them should get that thru y’all thick skull. You will never know until u live and work with them here in USA.

Personally the feeling is mutual, they are not worth my pot to piss in. Africans need to boycott this akata awards, useless m.f. I been saying this for 3 yrs

16. khamila

June 29, 2015 at 12:42 pm

who is Stonebwoy sef?and how did he emerge the winner?everything is not right about the award

• Dede

June 29, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Stonebwoy is a Ghanaian. He won Ghana’s artist of the year 2014. thank you

• polypoly

June 29, 2015 at 3:33 pm

ofcourse it must be a Nigerian that will win. Tah!!!! congrats stonebwoy

17. Bobo

June 29, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Chill out! There are other awards (including UK Category) given back stage..nothing to do with Africans. Its a business..and majority of BET’s audience don’t even know these artistes. As far as I’m concerned, being recognized is Major enuff. 10 years ago..there was nothing like that for African Artistes. Baby steps!! P.S. I don;t even know who Stonebwoy is.

18. Justsayit

June 29, 2015 at 1:03 pm

BET Awards is for Slaves and slave descendants… so let’s stop crying and let’s let the slaves have the front stage for once.

• Californiabawlar

June 29, 2015 at 2:50 pm

That is very rude and ignorant…given that our greedy forefathers kidnapped and sold their brothers and sisters into this mess is what is disgraceful!! You should be ashamed of yourself and your warped thinking!! To say such degoratory words says a lot about you…. I can almost be sure you’re tribalistic as well…sweetheart please renew your mind.

We should let akata people do their thing!

19. m

June 29, 2015 at 1:16 pm

When my.hubby was watching the trashy award I left him there and took a stroll. I told him they usually give Africans their award at the back of the stage. It’s so ridiculous though I know akatas are wicked. They are worse than white

20. ADEOLU

June 29, 2015 at 1:21 pm

what is all the fuss about? people remember that it is a show after all. BET is doing this to get TV ratings.. who wants to see an unknown African artist receiving an award when the slot can be used for a more prominent american artiste. It is a good thing that they are recognized, let them appreciate that and sit down somewhere…lol… it is a business , SHOW BUSINESS… they are not going to recognize people and put them on TV for pity, lol…it is all for tv RATINGS

21. Ma'azi

June 29, 2015 at 1:36 pm

So after queueing for US visa, flying long haul 12 hr+ flights across the atlantic and getting all glammed up for the red carpet, they will not even allow you some seconds of primetime tv spotlight? Hahahaha uwadiegwu! Na to clean stage remain na

22. chy

June 29, 2015 at 1:45 pm

my question is”is dencia a black?

• ATL's finest

June 29, 2015 at 8:08 pm

@ Chy Google please! LOL #Cameroonian#. S place her where were she belongs:)

• toyo

July 1, 2015 at 8:05 pm

No red

23. paulagouepe

June 29, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Thanks for letting us know that BET is biased. By officially awarding African artist would mean giving them recognition for their hard works and talents, it would also extend the platform for them to be listened to and become even more broadcasted, successful and wealthier outside the boundary of where they are from. I am utterly disappointed at Black Entertainment because they seem to forget their roots so easily, but they can never erode part of their identity for the beginning of who they are remain in Africa. The colour of their skin, the texture of their hair, their appearance, shape of body, morphology and all that it entails is the “negritude” their ignorance is trying hard to repeal. But have you heard that Blackness, Africaness or Negritude never crack, rather it is here to stay regardless of whether they like it or not. Black African American and the USA as a whole have still some issues to be dealt with. Segregation and racism are still very much implanted in the subconscient of them folks and it is rather pathetic. As for me and i hope my fellow africans will join me into boycotting BET. How does it validate your career, your continent or persona to attend such nonsense? That reminds me of Mahaliah Jackson and other artists entertaining the Whites who hated their skin and yet loved listening to their musics. Artists, please do not go there to collect any backstage awards.

24. Darkandlovely

June 29, 2015 at 1:57 pm

#BOYCOTTBETAWARDS. ..plain and simple

25. Anon...

June 29, 2015 at 1:59 pm

While I do not agree with what BET is doing with regard to not giving the award to African artists during the main event, I think this is a just an excuse for Aunty Dencia. I heard that the BET award association has stopped the sale of VIP red carpet passes to then general public. Apparently for about $600 you get the red carpet experience where you get to take pictures on the red carpet a day prior, etc. And of course you get to go to the main event the next day.

Anyway they have been cracking down on VIP concierge,com with regard to selling these tickets. I heard that the Grammy association is suing them b/c they also sold VIP red carpet credential tickets to the general public. For approx $800 this would allow you to walk certain parts of the red carpet. Anyway that’s my two cents!!

26. Nife

June 29, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Wow. I can’t even believe this. So, u mean Ice prince was thanking an empty room last year , and even called the other nominees out for recognition to en empty room. Hian. Am embarrassed for and with them. They should #boycuttbet at all cost Biko. At least for now. No matter what abeg

• polypoly

June 29, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Ice Prince was given the award pre-telecast. I have attended several award shows and its normal for awards to be presented before and during breaks. There is always an announcement to congratulate award recipients, something like “the following winners are on stage for xyz awards”, then crowd will give an applause. like a 45 seconds thing.

Billboard awards – they hand out Asian awards that americans don’t get to see at home but is included in what the Asian continent’s tv audience sees. I know this because in 2013 my friends company sponsored an act from CHina and we watched them tape his acceptance speech….it was funny when they told the audience to clap, cos we didn’t understand his accent or language…lol

27. dobzi

June 29, 2015 at 2:31 pm

This is very insulting and it should stop!

28. Betaward

June 29, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Well one step at a time. At least the African artists are getting recognized. But as for Dencia. How can anyone take her seriously when she’s done everything possible to NOT look like an African? From fully depigmenting her skin to doing a nose job to get rid of her negroid features. And now she wants to be an advocate for African artists? That’s absurd! She just wants attention as usual and that is why she claims to be Nigerian so that she can take advantage of the budding Nigerian entertainment industry. Anyway I guess she has achieved her ultimate dream which is to be a white woman living in Beverly Hills.

29. Ebony

June 29, 2015 at 3:30 pm

I’m just curious, the award Ice prince won and called other nominees on stage and took a pic, was that backstage? I really don’t recall anymore. Or was it after that incidence they started doing the backstage awards?
    It’s downright insulting though.
    Like they go all the way only to be treated like 4th class awardees.
    Ohh, read Dencia’s full comment. So was that Ice Prince’s own edited too. Trying to figure out how that happened.

• polypoly

June 29, 2015 at 8:31 pm

please ignore the noisemakers abeg. The award was given before the live broadcast. yall don’t understand that the audience is seated 4:30pm PST for presentations like these and pre-taping of certain segments, before the 5pm ShowTime.

Here is the link to the Ice Prince acceptance speech – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CMNCPkYMyA

you will notice the video was shot by his friend/crew, there are audience members, the pit is full of screaming fans, etc. it sure doesn’t look like an empty audience or backstage.

ps: Backstage awards presentations are done in front of the international press. so you are still exposed to the media and you get to interact with them, answer questions, etc. that is exposure that even MTV Mama awards or Headies will not provide to them.

30. Kikie

June 29, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Can we take a moment to congratulate STONEBWOY. Is it cos he’s unknown so u all are taking the attention away from him!!
    My, Yemi, would u come out this strong if u won?? Will it be this big an issue?? U being a sore loser chai!
    Yes u are more known, but it’s more than one hit song my dear.
    Wiz kid and Sarkodie are bigger acts and they not fussing.

Obviously it will take these international acts sometime before they can take their awards at the main event or even perform.
    According to a BET rep ( wish I had a link), they lose viewers the moment they show uninteresting things. Loss of viewers equals loss of money!!

My people they are doing well by adding this category but as African music gets bigger in the states, trust me, we will be given a bigger platform.
    No one is going to want to lose money cos of this.
    And half of the Grammy awards are taking at pre events and not at the main show.

Make google your friend and research! It’s not that hard..geez

Congrats Stonebwoy .. #bhimnation … Xoxo

• polypoly

June 29, 2015 at 8:33 pm

sis you berra preach!!! yasss…..let them keep acting like BET including International acts aint exposure….smh

31. Kikie

June 29, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Bella Naija! U never post my comments why???
    Is this section for only a selected few ??

??

32. Retta

June 29, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Yes it was Ebony. And it’s really a big shame. It’s not by force to nominate Africans in their awards if they can’t do it live on stage. They know the value we add to them and also in preaching togetherness of all blacks. But it’s a shame people don’t truly know that’s it’s all just acting like we are one. Another reason for the whites to laugh at us.

Why give us award if no proper recognition can be done? After all we also watch them give awards to some of their artist we don’t know. Why can’t they do the same, do they feel we need them? We are a Continent for Christ sakes, they (BET Team) need to show us some respect. #BoycottBET

33. ATL's finest

June 29, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Haga I remember when 2face got his award back stage for African Queen, I thought that was awful. Last yr, Tiwa & Davido performed backstage as well. I thought BET will get better but they got worse. But if is WE Nigerians, is the best chair n front view they will be seated kmt

• polypoly

June 29, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Stop spreading false gist biko……

Tuface – 2011 was the first year the category was included as part of BET awards. Tuface & DBanj won the award. it was announced during the red carpet and Tuface got to interact with the foreign press backstage. he got enough exposure contrary to what you think. he walked the carpet also.
      please give BET some credit. – TuFace was featured extensively on BET the weeks leading up to the awards. there was an interview special with wendy Williams. Tuface was a guest on Monique’s show and also performed “African Queen”. lets stop forming fake online gangstars abeg. BET is trying biko, they even have a dedicated event during the wknd for BET International.

Tiwa & Davido did not perform backstage you liar. Tiwa performed the saturday before the awards, inside the BET Expo in LA convention center next door to the Nokia theatre. na wa for all you liars oh. smh….

hunnay please come with your receipts next time ya heard!!!

34. Ozzy

June 29, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Eddy kenzo was awarded his award of Best International Act winning even some from the UK, dey dont even share dat on there social media platforms, award not even on backstage but on the Red carpet, If we cant treated equally i think we should boycott if possible, Africa one love.

35. Mugenyi, Uganda

June 30, 2015 at 8:19 am

Thing is whoever arrives first at the high-table looks down upon the next arrivals…as Africans in general decry their disrespect at the BETs back home on the continent other countries wonder why it’s Nigeria & South Africa receiving most of the airplay on the likes of Trace TV, MTV Base & StarTimes Music. The MTV Base Africa nominations/awards too are biased towards Nigeria and South Africa as well. So yeah…double or call it triple standards all around. Maybe it’s a humanity flaw…

• anonymous

July 2, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Okay, so Artist who is South African or Nigerian get awarded 5hrs, backstage before the show. it seems u r getting it wrong

36. Carmen

June 30, 2015 at 9:04 am

These comments are disgusting. Tell me the name of the African award show that honors black americans. How dare some of you say the disgusting things you say. Dont dare call yourself a proud african. you are pathetic.

• anonymous

July 2, 2015 at 3:17 pm

u care to know i guess, apart from being awarded, they also perform in shows, Channel O’ Music Awards, MAMA. U r very low to make such comment. get ur facts right before u make stupid comments. nonsense

37. Carmen

June 30, 2015 at 9:06 am

And all of this noise from a women on the brink of death from too much bleach on her skin… this entire post is embarrassing.

38. Yome

June 30, 2015 at 2:44 pm

They should enjoy themselves…but while they’re at it, they either give everyone the award during the main event or don’t bother at all. Do u know what it is to be given an award and you make your speech to empty chairs 5hours before the main event??? Then they talk of racism

39. toyo

July 1, 2015 at 8:19 pm

They said pple dnt knw them…so will they be known back stage?….Smh our peeps should knw tht they can do better without them!!!! Thts it!! Boycott jare!

40. anonymous

July 2, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Its funny how we fail to get the fact that black is black regardless of who and where you r. BET AWARDS”. cancel the African International Act category, its not a must u recognize African artist plz. its useless. I really do not blame u people but the artists who accept d award despite being downgraded. U feel we r Neva d same, u fool urselves by living in fantasy of being a black American. wake up

41. I'm Thinking Of The Future

July 7, 2015 at 1:53 am

Trust me!! Don’t jes panic!! The way forward is jes meet up to the international standard, when I say “international standard” it’s very wide and deep. In the next 4 years, I can see African New School Niggas & Niggarette At the Top of Their Game WorldWide. I’m one of them, Are U?
    Think Big, Act Positively.

42. Andrew Indeche

January 4, 2016 at 8:55 am

International standards,BET is promoting the HIP HOP culture which is not even authentically theirs and they do not know that the Father and Founder of HIP-HOP, Africanus Bambata had to travel to Africa i.e. Egypt and South Africa to see the Zulus and learn from them so as to put together the HIP-HOP culture, Jay Z has used Egyptian symbols to sell his clothing and Africanus Bambata used to dress like a pharaoh when he was DJying in the club, 2nd our artists do not need to change their way of doing their music,How can a person like Fally Ipupa or Ferre Golla change his music to meet ‘international standards’ as far as i know they are still successful and loyal to their core market 3rd.Hip-hop and RnB only appeals to young African Americans and Whites with its vulgar lyrics,I once had an African American lecturer on music and he said that he buys a variety of music but he will never buy HIP-HOP. 4th.Compared to musical geniuses such as Mozart and Beethoven What talent do people like Nikki Minaj,Asap \rocky,Kanye West,Jay Z or Snoop Dogg have that can be compared,these artists sing garbage and only rely on the hook and beats to sell their music 5th. African artists have been successful without BET and BET has not contributed to the success of any African artist-After joining Kanye West’s Good Music,which other HIT has D’Banj produced after Oliver Twist,truth is the American music industry is a cartel and you have to get approval of either Jay-Z or Kanye West or Beyonce to be penetrate the market,just look at who gets the awards at BET 6th.Artists like Fella Kuti authentically wrote their music for African in particular Nigerian Market, other than singing about dancing and having a good time,he was politically conscious and wrote music about Bad governance in Nigeria and in the end his music was accepted elsewhere 7th. The older generation of Africans do not listen to HIP HOP yet they spend money buying music, it makes a lot of sense to appeal to them rather than Americans who are very ethnocentric and do not care for music outside their country, and the African american population is very small compared to Africa and is only short of the population of Kenya,African artists can do without it,in fact an African artists stands a better chance of pushing his music in Europe rather than America. 8th.The artists who go to BET spend money on their transport and accomodation,Fally Ipupa has a large staff of Publicists etc,BET ought to give them more regard,they are not there out of desperation but as a courtesy call

43. Andrew Indeche