Features

Busayo Oderinde: For the Love of Soups

Busayo

I love soups. I mean you can’t be a true Nigerian and not like soups (our own version of it. I know, we do our things in a special way)
I love it, because as Africans we eat a lot of carbs that can’t be eaten on their own and they need the almighty accompaniment – the dishes we call soups.

Ideally, soups should be light and broth like e.g. tomato soup, French onion soup, chicken noodle soup; while stews are rich, thick and filled with a lot of stuff e.g. the English beef stew, American gumbo etc. What we call soups should really be called stews, but it has become our norm and I won’t advocate changing it but like I said it’s a Nigerian peculiarity because in nearby Ghana, they get the distinction. They call light soup, palm nut soup, groundnut soup soups while okro, red stew are called stews.

How can I not write about our love of soups? I don’t how I will justify me writing about food and different aspects of it without talking about our love for some dishes… soups in Nigeria being a big example.

Soups are a staple of our diet. Even a little child under the age of one is introduced to a meal with our native soups.

Here are some of the few popular ones:

Peppersoup
If you really think about it, you will realise that Pepper soup is our own indigenous dish that cuts across the entire country. Every tribe cooks it and it’s proudly Nigerian. It is believed that the origins are south-south, because most of the ingredients are sourced from there. The best pepper-soups I have had, were made by people from the south-south.
My mum’s pepper soup is the best I have ever eaten. She is from Edo state. When she tells me the ingredients, they are names I can’t pronounce and she says if it has to be that authentic, you have to buy it yourself and ground them up yourself. According to her, the powders sold are ‘not complete’ and therefore inferior. She makes a mean beef pepper soup, which is my all time favorite.

Catfish Pepper soup is the most popular type of pepper soup eaten in Nigeria. It is the famous point and kill (ironically, I can’t stand catfish, I know, I know, people will say I am missing something but I don’t like catfish, eeek). It’s a very popular Bar food, a famous love for alcohol drinkers (I also have a very light brain, a bottle of beer and I start to feel sleepy so all around I just don’t fancy it) but they say it is something amazing.

Red Stew
How can I describe Red Stew? It is the most popular staple in most Nigerian households. It’s also known as Buka stew. You have to have red stew. The major accompaniment is rice, and with the way we eat rice, it’s very important to have stew on hand. It is made with peppers, tomatoes, onions, meat or fish, seasoning, and vegetable oil (not palm oil. If you use palm oil, then it’s not the classic red stew).

With education and exposure, there are now many methods of cooking the red stew. Some people parboil the pepper (I always do), some don’t. People use a variety of seasonings or add tomato paste but at the end of the day, you know it’s red stew. The red stew is somewhat similar to the Italian tomato sauce used to eat pasta. In Yoruba households, it’s so important to have red stew because how would you eat ewedu (jute) or okro? They are made plainly so you need to put the red stew on top of the dish.

Efo Riro
Efo riro is a Yoruba soup and I believe it’s a winner any day. It’s a gourmet dish in my opinion, like when you eat the proper one o and it’s best served with Pounded Yam. End of discussion.
The best I ever ate was a Buka in Ore, one along the Expressway, which was the business. It was spicy and rich and delicious with the right amount of liquid (some people get the proportion of the liquid wrong).

Efo riro is made with Palm oil, onion, peppers, meat and fish of your choice, locust beans, efo soko or tete or spinach, salt and seasonings. It’s great. In Yoruba parlance, it’s said to be the tool for keeping your husband or snatching another person’s husband (serious *eye roll*, but you would have heard it, I am sure). Efo riro is a good one and a party favorite also.

Egusi
Egusi is also called melon seed. It cuts across in its own way but every tribe cooks it differently in their own unique way. Some fry, some boil. Egusi is sometimes watery, or thick. As a result, I can’t give a recipe. It’s a popular soup, and goes with a lot of carbs e.g. Pounded yam, Eba, amala, rice etc.

Gbegiri & Ewedu
I talk about gbegiri (the soup made from peeled beans) and Ewedu (jute leaves) because it’s a very popular Yoruba soup, eaten with Amala. When you eat Amala, gbegiri and ewedu ehn, the feeling can’t be described honestly, It gets you and feels that hole deep inside, I have eaten it too many times to count but every time I eat it, it still gets me; I don’t think I have said “I am tired of eating this”.

Ogbono
Ogbono is an Edo dish but because it’s so good. It is very popular in Nigeria. It is made with the ogbono seed ground up, stockfish (very important, if it’s not in it, it’s not authentic),dry pepper, palm oil, pumpkin leaves, meat(beef to be exact), meat stock, (this is usually the base) and seasoning.

Again my mum’s ogbono wins the award for the best I ever ate. I am so confident of her ogbono that I can challenge anyone to an ogbono throw down and I can guarantee my mum’s ogbono will win. I am that sure. I have relatives who have eaten this soup from her as far back as twenty something years ago and yet still rave about it. At my sister’s graduation in Ghana, her Ghanaian friends ate the soup and were blown away by the awesomeness of this soup, and still talk about it till date. So name the time and place, I will be too prepared to meet the challenge.

Edikaikong
This is another winner. It is Calabar in origin. It’s made with two or more green vegetables i.e. Made with Pumpkin leaves (Ugwu), Waterleaf or Spinach (if you want), Stock, fish, onions, dry pepper or fresh pepper (depends on your taste),meat, palm oil or palm nut extract. In fact you can put a lot of things in the soup – snails, periwinkle, smoked fish. It is a very forgiving recipe.

Okro
I love Okro. It’s one of my best soups and its origins are very confusing because there are okro dishes in southern states in America like Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina etc and West Africa e.g. Senegal and Ghana. I guess it was passed around somehow, so I can’t say a recipe because everyone has their own methods and recipes.

Banga
Banga is made from the extracted juice of Palm nut – a long process but the reward for the hard work is in the taste. Delicious! It doesn’t need much after this extraction; just cook, add the protein, seasoning, vegetables and it’s done.

The most famous accompaniment with banga is Starch, which funny enough I have never had. I will appreciate suggestions on the best place to eat starch in Lagos. Banga also goes great with pounded yam. The best Banga or palm nut soup for me was in Ghana which I had with their Fufu (it’s different from ours). It’s great.

Best Soup in Nigeria?
In my opinion, the undisputed soup champion in Naija are Igbos and South-Southerners, they have the most variety, a vast array of flavors and textures and the most complex recipes that I didn’t mention e.g. afang, oha, ofe nsala, ofe owerri, groundnut soup etc.(they have so so many)

I mean I am a Yoruba girl and I am enough of a realist to know we are not the winners. I hope this doesn’t start a tribal thing but like I said this is my opinion. What do you all think?
Love and chocolates.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Gstockstudio1

My name is Busayo, a Food Enthusiast, I love love food, its a huge passion for me and I believe Chocolates make the world a happier place. Feel free to contact me via email, [email protected]

1. Oluwaseun

June 28, 2015 at 11:08 pm

A Yoruba girl who is only limited to the few soups she’s ate and constantly heard of. It’s unfair to start a food debate and make some tribes the champion of it all. You have no power to do that.

Anyway, learn about efo elemi-meje, sapa, gbukuru, marugbo (from ondo), apon and so on. Those are Yoruba soups you probably never heard of. We have different varieties that taste great with hard recipes.

2. Lucy

June 28, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Well I do agree with you on this

3. toni

June 28, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Hmm so what about d HAusas or have u forgotten that they r Nigerians as well?
    you didn’t include any of their soups.
    DO try one of their soups and I bet u ur opinion will change

4. bruno FIERCE

June 29, 2015 at 12:04 am

I don’t want to start a war but why do yoruba people pour excess oil in their soups.
    too much oil. the oil is too much. pls stop it.

if u go out to eat in a yoruba buka and they are serving u ,and u tell the iya who is selling the food not to put oil, they will start complaining, they will start shouting at you.
    na by force to chop oil?

also pepper. why do yoruba people like packing excess pepper in their stews.
    u will be eating and be crying at the same time.

• cos I say so

June 29, 2015 at 4:29 am

Lmaooooooooo

5. EllesarisEllendil

June 29, 2015 at 1:58 am

Goat Meat Pepper Soup>Oha Soup>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Every Other Soup. Don’t bother arguing, you know I’m right.

6. C'est moi

June 29, 2015 at 4:37 am

Ogbono is not only an Edo soup. It is also indigenous to the Idoma people.

7. Made

June 29, 2015 at 7:49 am

Bruno..next time, buy the Amana and ewedu with no stew…you will definitely enjoy it.

8. Jo!

June 29, 2015 at 9:35 am

Let Dooney catch you… Dooney where are you oooooo

• vexing

June 29, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Go and hide. We are talking serious you are talking Dooney. You just showed yourself up as someone who did not come from a home where food is cooked. Always iya Basiras buka. Talk about your mothers cooking, you are calling Dooney. All dat fryfry wey Dooney dey cook na soup? I begiii.

• Lamide

June 29, 2015 at 9:34 pm

I remember you from the spiralising recipe of Dunni’s BN Cuisine. You haven’t gotten over this your bitterness. You obviously follow her on Instagram or check up on her on Instabram for you to know about Iya Basira Buka stew and her mothers cooking. Someone you hate you are still checking up on Instagram. You no get work. It is paining you abi that you can’t talk about your mothers cooking. This is like the case of Toke. The more you hate, the bigger she gets. All the fry fry, really. How does haterade taste. You that don’t fry fry, who knows you. Sit down there like the Toke haters who are just nameless faceless people, while this girl succeeds. She is impacting lives, making women better cooks and building homes you are there hating. She and other food bloggers were featured on Buzzfeed last week. Who knows you. Better pray that God shows you your own talent. That’s if you have one. Bitter soul. Yes I am a Dunni voltron and a Toke voltron. Keep going to all mention of Dunni and spilling hate. The bitterness will consume you one day.

9. i no send

June 29, 2015 at 11:02 am

is this wire up meant o enlighten non nigerians or nigerians in diaspora??

10. Yuk

June 29, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Don’t like Nigerian food the smell alone makes me puke!!!! Yuk.

11. Kike

June 29, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Most people’s knowledge of Yoruba food is limited to Bukas in Lagos. Abeg go to Ijebu, Osun, Abekotua and Akure and try authentic and varied Yoruba cuisines.

We call ogbonno Apun in my family so I’m guessing it’s also a Yoruba stew.

My mum hates greasy food so none of her soups are drenched in oil. So that oil thing is a generalisation.

Efik food is delicious but I’ve never tried Igbo food, dem people not like pepper!! Northen food is also nice in fact I love the variety of Nigerian cuisine just fed up of people who’ve never left Lagos or only eaten at Bukas slagging off Yoruba food!!!

12. MissyKissy

June 29, 2015 at 10:37 pm

The Chef on the picture sha 😀 😀 smelling soup like flower oo

13. Tosin

June 30, 2015 at 4:07 am

I didn’t know Ogbono was Edo. Yum, I love food.

14. jemila

July 22, 2015 at 6:30 pm

This is a subject friends and I chat about…I am from the middle belt, and I believe every ethnicity have an array of delicious soups, however I do agree that the eastern-south-south have the widest selection of indigenous staple ingredients and recipes, well I think they love their food the most, damn, it’s a lot of effort they put in a meal, and I appreciate the hardwork…

15. Chukwubuikem

December 15, 2016 at 10:37 am

Some of the things you wrote were incorrect.

Ogbonno isn’t Edo. It’s Igbo.
    Also Egusi (anglicized from Egwusi) is of south eastern origin. It means melon seed in my native tongue.

‘Egwusi/Egusi has no meaning in Yoruba. You can ask your parents. Elegusi/and Gushi (are Yoruba and Hausa spins on pronouncing this word.
    English and Yoruba languages don’t have a ‘gw’ consonant sound. Hence, the modification.

Also, Okra (anglicized verision of ‘Okwuro/okro’) soup is also of south eastern Nigerian origin. It is not of western (American) origin, but it seems it can also be found in the Carribean – however the dish prepared by this people is likely to be different from that prepared by the Igbos.

Peppersoups also have names like:
    Isi Ewu (Goat head peppersoup) and others.

Nevertheless, nice article!

16. Chukwubuikem

December 15, 2016 at 10:38 am

The correct spelling is ‘Ogbonno’, not ‘Ogbono’

17. Chukwubuikem

December 15, 2016 at 11:41 am

Oh. My bad. Ogbono is ‘Ogbono’, not ‘Ogbonno’ as I said earlier.