Scoop

Mercy Aigbe-Gentry to Motherhood InStyle: ‘Most Nigerian Men don’t want their Wives to Outshine Them’

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

Mercy AigbeNollywood actress Mercy Aigbe-Gentry is all about her family and gorgeous kids in the latest issue of Motherhood InStyle magazine.

The actress talks to the magazine about having a supportive husband as a working mother, discipline in her home, rumours of being a second wife, motherhood challenges with her kids and much more.

5 cover

Read excerpts below.

On getting support from her husband: I’m married to Ashiwaju Olanrewaju Gentry and together we have two beautiful kids. I always tell people that I married my own husband because he has been awesome. He is mature and just a very fantastic person. He is always there for me and supports me all the way. He has actually helped me to achieve my dreams. With his help and God’s, I have been able to do so many things. I’m just blessed. I always say when you see a married woman doing very well that means she has a very supportive husband. Most Nigerian men don’t want their wives to outshine them, maybe it’s ego. I don’t know. They always want you to be dependent on them for everything you want but my husband believes in me and gives me total support. My celebrity status doesn’t even bother him, he just sees me as Mercy.

On the kind of father he is: He is a wonderful dad. I always tell him ‘Look you spoil kids too much!’ I’m the disciplinarian in the home. He’s hardly tough on his kids and doesn’t believe in smacking. He stands up for them when I want to smack them sometimes. He’s just a very fantastic father.

On rumours of her being a second wife: I’m the only wife, one and only. No rival. He has been divorced since. I met him as a divorcee.

On her relationship with his other family: He has three beautiful daughters and I have a fantastic relationship with them. Even with their mum. They are my kids too. There are times when they go on location with me and assume the role of my P.A while on set. We do everything together, we’re fantastic together. They call me their second mummy, they actually use the word ‘small’, they call me ‘small mummy’. So their mum is ‘big mummy’ and I’m ‘small mummy’. They use the word small because like them I’m also in tune with today’s trends. Their relationship with my kids too is very good.

On her former marriage: Actually I’ll prefer not to talk about it but looking back, I thank God for where I am today. I would say it’s not that there was something both of us didn’t do right. The only issue we had was his mother, she just didn’t want me to marry her son because I’m not from the Igbo tribe. That was just it. We actually tried to convince her and all that but when it wasn’t working, I just felt I had to leave.

On her growing 14-year-old daughter: There was a day she came back from school and was like ‘Mummy somebody got expelled in my class for giving someone blowjob’ and I just exclaimed ‘Blow what? You know what that is?’ She just laughed and said ‘Mummy, you don’t expect me not to know that.’ You know, that opened another room to educate her. As often as possible I have to talk to her about boys. Teens need sex education. She is growing up so fast, so I need to tell her all she needs and wants to know so she doesn’t get it all mixed up.

On having domestic staff: Ah, it’s God. Only Him can help working mums. I make sure I check whoever I’m employing properly. I do the health check, a little bit of background check to assess the person’s personality and values, and the rest I leave to God. I monitor my domestic staff, even when I’m not around. Mums can’t afford to be lazy about that. I must add that I have a very good support system.

For more from Mercy Aigbe-Gentry’s interview pick up a copy of Motherhood InStyle in stores around you.

Photo Credit: Motherhood InStyle

1. chi

June 3, 2015 at 2:51 pm

pretty woman. that young man is so cute

• Osa

July 10, 2015 at 3:00 am

She is lying about the second wife part. Read former interviews where she herself said that the first wife lives in Ireland and they have a good relationship bla bla. She said iyale then,, and not ‘my hubbys first wife’. A first wife cannot be called iyale under any circumstance if she is not still married to hubby. Maybe the guy was separating and trying to get divorced when Mercy married him.
      Abeg mercy aigbe pls clarify if u are on this thread or u read this.

2. kay

June 3, 2015 at 2:52 pm

This is woman is beautiful and from wheat we see on the outside, she has a beautiful life. I love women who live happy. Go Mercy!

3. chi

June 3, 2015 at 2:54 pm

a 14yrs old knowing what a “blowjob” is ? Lord help us o o o

4. mrs chidukane

June 3, 2015 at 2:56 pm

All these mothers in law should fear God oh. They’re cute.

5. Idomagirl

June 3, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Beautiful woman with beautiful children. She looks amazing in that pink dress!

6. chi-e-z

June 3, 2015 at 3:00 pm

na which kin cream them dey rub for bodi… [singing in reekabo banks style]… 😀

7. kenitola

June 3, 2015 at 3:02 pm

beautiful mercy and beautiful kids, God will continue to bless your home.

8. fabulicious

June 3, 2015 at 3:03 pm

” I always say when you see a married woman doing very well that means she has a very supportive husband” Mercy you were spot on with that. That’s the truth right there.

9. Missy

June 3, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Gosh! That’s a very beautiful magazine cover.

10. Truth be told

June 3, 2015 at 3:33 pm

“Most Nigerian men don’t want their wives to outshine them, maybe it’s ego. I don’t know. They always want you to be dependent on them for everything you want”.
    You’re so right on this one Mercy.
    In fact that’s why most of them don’t want their wives to work, they prefer you stay at home, make babies, cook and do other house chores.
    If you need bra, pant, pampers etc you have to beg for money from your husband just to buy them. * very sad*

11. Truth be told

June 3, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Beautiful cover tho’!

12. mickie

June 3, 2015 at 3:34 pm

The cover is everything. 😘 her son is so adorable.

13. Olori Tari

June 3, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Forget what she said (haven’t even read it)…BUT I love the pictures. This one especially >> http://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/cover.jpg

Too beautiful. Her daughter is serving all shades of gorgeousness in that particular picture. It’s the smile and expression…I love ?

Very beautiful family.

• Olori Tari

June 3, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Okay I just read it: this part cracked me up so much:

“Mummy somebody got expelled in my class for giving someone blowjob’ and I just exclaimed ‘Blow what? You know what that is?’ She just laughed and said ‘Mummy, you don’t expect me not to know that.’” …. Simply because I’m trying to imagine their faces during the convo. Must have been hella awkward for her!

• polypoly

June 3, 2015 at 4:19 pm

yassssss!!!!! gurl, I just scrolled over the article (shame on us…lol). that lil girl serving me “Akeelah & the bee” cutiepatootie teas…come thru booo, lawd!!!!!

Mercy and kids please step forward and receive this Fierce & Fashionable award….sweetie, ur son & daughter na wahala oh….lol!! cuteness overload and they sure know their angles #modelsTohSure

I may just need to add Mercy to my Faves list after Queen RepruDencia, Omotola and Ciara.

• Paloma

June 3, 2015 at 4:31 pm

smh for you sha…

• MeMyself&I

June 3, 2015 at 8:32 pm

@polypoly, Did u forget to take ur medication today? Someone asked if u were 13, I am inclined to agree. Child, grow up except Ofcourse u are 13 tufiakwa gi.

14. Paloma

June 3, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Beautiful! Lovely! Elegant! i just love her fashion sense muah!

15. adelegirl

June 3, 2015 at 4:43 pm

This interview endeared me to Mercy even more. She has s great sense of style. She knows what suits her and she rocks it very well and of course it helps that she has a banging body. You go on Mercy! God bless your family.

16. Ada Nnewi

June 3, 2015 at 4:48 pm

I absolutely love me some mercy :D…she’s really gorgeous!

17. Bisi

June 3, 2015 at 6:11 pm

She’s one Gorgeous woman!!

18. bunmi

June 3, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Ok

19. booboo

June 3, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I love the pictures and was blown by how beautiful and happy they all look. Very stylish. Mercy well done! Youve done very well for yourself. May God continue to strengthen your husband and bless you all.

20. polypoly

June 3, 2015 at 11:05 pm

@MeMyself&I – hey sweetie, I am not 13yrs old. and quit trying to diss, I don’t need meds okay!!! Please why are you soo pressed??? I did not diss anypne, or are you threatened by Dencia’s name???

21. anonymous

June 6, 2015 at 10:03 am

Beautiful pics and interview. I had to read polypoly’s comments again. What am I missing and why the personal attack na. Live and let live. It’s not that serious/deep. Freedom of expression