Music

First Photos: Yemi Alade, D’banj, Don Jazzy, Bonang Matheba & More at the 2015 MTV Africa Music Awards

Bonang, Yemi Alade & D'banj

Bonang, Yemi Alade & D’banj

The 2015 MTV Africa Music Awards has just rounded up and while we are bringing you the full list of winners, here are the first photos from the event.

From Seyi Shay to Jhene Aiko to D’banj, the best African acts put on their very best for the MTV Africa Music Awards.

Check out the first photos from the events.

Seyi Shay

D'banj

D’banj

Maria Okan

Maria Okan

1. mrs chidukane

July 18, 2015 at 11:24 pm

SA Queen Bonang looks like an older, washed up version of Yemi Alade. Hahahahahaa *evil laughter * Just kidding oh. No-one should insult me abeg,lol. I screamed when Patoranking won. I’m so thrilled for him. He totally deserves it plus he’s my Igbo brother; like don jazzy and p-square and my half Igbo sister, Yemi Alade. So happy for Davido and d banj as well. It was an awesome show. MTV Africa has really stepped up. No dull moment at all.

I thought Casper Nyovest won an award for that doc Shebelleza song last year? Correct me if I’m wrong. I’m not really into SA music.

• TutyFruity

July 18, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Abeg Park Well.!!! Why are spewing so much venom about South Africans? You dislike Bonang, you dislike their music, what did they do to you?

• Tari

July 19, 2015 at 9:54 am

But she said the truth about Bonang. The girl is looking very washed up.
      With her Phuza face not forgetting that voice of hers on radio.
      Will Boity encourage Casper to try and finish matric at some point?

• CONGLOMERATE

July 19, 2015 at 12:47 am

What is wrong with they are my Nigerian brothers, and leaving it at that… You Igbo’s are always the first to start this stupidity…. Insecure bunch!

• mrs chidukane

July 19, 2015 at 9:19 am

@Conglomerate if it was an Igbo name attached to a crime, it will be you secure people who will leave Nigeria to start calling Igbo. Now that it’s an award, you want them to be called Nigerians. Biko ga duwa Odi. I don’t even know why you’re pained, didn’t you see where I also commended Dbanj and co? You guys are always like flies when it comes to Igbos, mtcheew.

• Hauwa

July 19, 2015 at 12:50 am

Lmao forget it…Bonang was looking like a female batman.

• Amos

July 21, 2015 at 2:28 pm

You could be forgiven cos your knowledge about fashion is zilch

• james

July 19, 2015 at 1:11 am

tribalistic oloshi

• annies

July 19, 2015 at 1:58 am

na mumu de worry u

• Kaeto

July 19, 2015 at 2:45 am

On Aiko and that man:Like Aiko was like “germs get away quick.” Please take note, all invitees to any function, better act like you are mates with other invitees. The moment you start singling people out in a group, you obviously have no personal connection with, you become a fan that needs restraining order. Doesn’t This funny looking man look like a peasant beside her

• Honey

July 19, 2015 at 8:54 am

Here we go again, Nigerians always not into other countries entertainment, then when they win awards over Nigeria, una go start with the noise making smh

• mrs chidukane

July 19, 2015 at 9:13 am

Hahahahahaa!!!!!! You guys can go hug a transformer! I’m tribalistic because I’m commending my Igbo brothers? Oriegwu. Igbo people rock! Igbo people are wonderful and beautiful. Going places. Those that want to die or deny it can feel free to jump off a cliff. I don’t hate SA music, I just don’t know much about it, I don’t think it’s a crime. I’m sure many South Africans don’t know much about naija music as well. If you don’t have the answer to my question then don’t start anything.

• Olu

July 19, 2015 at 8:40 pm

I was shocked to read your comment, we don’t need this kind of mindset in the New Nigeria,

• Ano

July 19, 2015 at 11:01 pm

pls sister, go and wax your stinking jaw hair, chest hair, arm hair, leg hair and every other place I forgot to mention. Tribalistic olodo full time house wife married to a man 2 decades away from you! Anofia

• Oluwaseun

July 21, 2015 at 2:31 am

@ mrs chidukane

It’s okay to commend your Igbo brothers. Let me do mine too. I want to congratulate and commend my Yoruba brothers starting from great talent, legend such as Fela kuti who brought this whole Afrobeats into existence. Legends like sunny Ade, Shina Peters, etc
      Not only are my Yoruba people the best in music but also when it comes to high level education, exposure, class, it speaks for itself without been in your face.
      Yoruba people, I commend you for your humility, openness and welcoming spirit. Yorubaland is the most occupied by every other tribes in the whole Nigeria, where everyone come to live their dream and for better opportunities. The culture is very rich too. Other cultures adopted it. Is it from Cuba, Brazil, to even other tribes
      The owner of this site, an Igbo woman is married to a Yoruba man. I don’t blame all these different women from all over Nigeria falling for Yoruba men. They are the best.

• disgusting

July 19, 2015 at 11:36 am

Don’t you have a husband and children to occupy your time you’re obviously a bored houseful wtf is my half igbo sister ppl like you are the problem with Nigeria stop defining ppl based on where they are from geez, who even gave you Internet mcheew

• glowy

July 19, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Don jazzy is half igbo,he is from Delta state while his mum is igbo

• Damilola's

July 20, 2015 at 7:12 am

Igbo people are so funny. insecurity and grandiose has eaten up their brain. They always try to separate and boast about themselves more than they are. If it was a Yoruba person praising, highlighting Yoruba folks, they will be here crying, whinning opening their arrogant mouths insulting how Yorubas are tribalist, how we hate them, we don’t give out rent to Igbos they only do stuff for themselves. Blah blah Whereas they are the true tribalist and very selfish who every chance they get try to act like they are not part of Nigeria.
      That’s how this ogechi girl from school was telling her oyibo friends to listen to naija music pointing out how the artists are Igbos. If Yorubas want to boast, we have every right, well deserved too is it in music, education, cultural history, how open and welcoming of other tribes especially Igbos, etc but we are simple and humble people. Only fools speak loud of themselves.

2. amaa

July 18, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Waiting for Emmy Colins

• her

July 19, 2015 at 12:20 am

Where on earth is he

• Peaches77

July 19, 2015 at 12:47 pm

He’s back @ diarybyemmy.com

3. @edDREAMZ

July 18, 2015 at 11:34 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Joselyn dumas ass is the bomb i swear… Babe is so fucking onpoint no doubt…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

4. Tabitha

July 18, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Yemi Alade’s dress is everything!

5. kenny

July 18, 2015 at 11:50 pm

Nigeria music industry is stepping up…am so api 4 yemi alade

• Rolly

July 19, 2015 at 4:29 am

In 2015? People are still saying “api” instead of happy? I’m so disgusted

• cryingneversolvedanything

July 19, 2015 at 11:11 am

Really? A simple regular word is ‘disgusting’ to you. Hmm… oh!

• kanayo

July 19, 2015 at 12:45 pm

But why. It’s an accent thing. Yes it’s 2015 so Get over your shallow self quickly. You are just a cliché nigerian thinking you are better off because you speak a certain way. I mean if I were to be as shallow as you i’ll say yeah they drop their H’s but they earn more than you ever will.

• nnenne

July 19, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Why?
      Relax!
      It’s just a street slang. Am sure the writer knew better.

6. yellow sissy

July 18, 2015 at 11:50 pm

Inyanya which kind pose bi that one?Yemi Alade,you are representing.Dbang and Matheba I don’t want to hear baby mama story oo

• bn lover

July 19, 2015 at 5:37 am

I’m even surprise for Dbanj,thought they were denying the affair?

• Jay b

July 19, 2015 at 6:17 am

He confirmed on Beat 99.9 fm to Toolz that they’re dating. Bonang also confirmed. She did first actually.

• Tari

July 19, 2015 at 10:04 am

If Dbanj did not born for Euphonik then Dbanj can sleep easy.
      The girl sabi comot something and her hustling can not stand a baby in the way.

7. J.J

July 18, 2015 at 11:52 pm

It was really an interesting event, Congrats to the winners and for those who did not win too because is not easy anyway. But how come i did not see myself here?…Anyway that’s story for another day…Please how do i post video here?…This question is for bellanaija. I have my newly released music which i want to put the video here…Am waiting to hear from you…Thanks

8. Moyo

July 18, 2015 at 11:58 pm

Yemi Alade’s dress is beautifullll. Her make up is on point, Ubi Franklin and Iyanya need stylists, their fahion sense is wack.

9. bruno FIERCE

July 19, 2015 at 12:00 am

I hated yemi alade’s dress. when she came on stage to accept her award I screamed in horror, what the hell. the dress made her look bigger.

dbanj u sounded very desperate and pretentious during ur acceptance speech. u sounded so thirsty. americans have humbled u and shown u that ur music is crap, that’s why u want to get back with don jazzy. don jazzy dont take him back. bye felicia. abi america was hungrying u?

I was happy yemi alade won, but I secretly wanted seyi shay to win. I have a new found love for seyi shay.

I enjoyed the show.

• Jay b

July 19, 2015 at 6:20 am

BN, I will never get you. You screened a lot of people’s comments when they were coming for Bruno, for the nasty remarks he made on Omawunmi’s baby post. I’ll never understand why you guys choose to post his inappropriate comments, and screen other people’s sincere logical comments. If you like, screen this as well.

• Ano

July 19, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Be there dulling, BN is paying Bruno for his stupid comments na. His comments brings additional replies, more clicks and sometimes are more interesting than the story itself. lIB has Bonairo swag, SDK has theirs too. It’s business my sister

• FasholasLover

July 19, 2015 at 8:56 am

Totally agree with you here. Yemi is one of my favs but, that dress?
      Dbanj? It is well. This is what happens when you don’t know when to quit. With Bonang’s life style, I sorry for Dbanj and l wonder what he is looking for there. Can he live up ‘cos the dude is broke.

• annonymous

July 19, 2015 at 11:43 am

you say dude is broke, well we are know his wardrobe/closet can buy any duplex comfortably in lekki

• mamzaT

July 19, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Pls. I want to buy are houses that cheap in Lekki? Yet Dbanj does not own one anywhere. Stupid comment.

• annonymous

July 19, 2015 at 4:20 pm

no need wasting my time with you………….since they claim he doesn’t own a house & his broke why hasn’t the so called landlord evicted him from the house since december last year and mind you d’banj does own a house in atlanta buckhead or is it bcos he doesn’t show off cos dats how matured people roll

• mercy

July 19, 2015 at 6:11 pm

anonymous the PA pls. shush. Which Dbanj? In ur dream? Oshisko. Only u 20 comments today on dbanj.

10. Harry

July 19, 2015 at 12:00 am

BellaNaija..didnt P-SQUARE attend the event???
    Hahaha..just asking.

Well, for “OUR” information: P-SQUARE: THE GREATEST, THE BIGGEST & THE BEST..
    OFFICIALLY THE UNDISPUTED KINGS OF AFRICAN MUSIC: AFRICA’S ARTISTES OF THE DECADE!!! AFRICA’S ARTISTES OF THE DECADE!!! AFRICA’S ARTISTES OF THE DECADE!!!

Pls dont HATE, HATERS…#NaGOD!!!
    KaChiFonu (Good night!!!)

11. BiafranBoy

July 19, 2015 at 12:03 am

Congrats to my men..Psquare,patoranking…yemi my sister and DDs [Dbanj&Donjazzy]
    mehn am loving phyno and flavourN’abania.

12. Hogan

July 19, 2015 at 12:11 am

In as much as am happy that Nigerian music is getting recognised in the continent and beyond,we still need to do more. Platforms like MTV should promote quality music with good lyrical content and lasting sounds. Artists like Asa, Simi, Bez and the likes hardly get nominated! But these crop of artists brings out quality sounds. Pls do not get me wrong, the crop of artists that won today are “okay” in their own rights but we can do better. MTV should change their voting platform, it gives room for rigging, we Nigerians have master the act. There are better male artist than Davido! I harbour no hatred for anyone. “my thots’

• Amy

July 19, 2015 at 2:40 am

I totally agree with u!!!! No beef but these artists shd step up in their lyrics and stage performances…… The show was a good one.

• Honey

July 19, 2015 at 8:57 am

And you my dear, are absolutely RIGHT!!!!

• Tari

July 19, 2015 at 10:02 am

MTV is in the business of promoting mediocrity, so no surprises there.
      These are the crowd that hang around Alex Okosi, so it is to be expected.

• nnenne

July 19, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Asa should win or does she not promote her music well? Her lyrics are the best.
      Something is not right.

13. Ani

July 19, 2015 at 12:14 am

Seyi Shay what is wrong with you? Don’t you have a stylist? Work on yourself girl.

• Mogbo moya

July 19, 2015 at 4:56 am

I was about to ask the same question. Ewo ni fur ninu or buruku yi lmao

14. Hogan

July 19, 2015 at 12:22 am

I believe our artists can better their craft if they take their time and work on it rather than bring out jams to stay relevant or for quick monetary gains. In my first post *mastered for master*. Congratulations to all the winners! “my thots”

15. Joe

July 19, 2015 at 12:42 am

Joselyn Dumas is Bae…..lawd all dt hips……i die for every night
    Bonanag Matheba and BangaLee finally i belive
    Noble Igwe why you wan join your head so much with Jhene Aiko na….the babe sef di shift one side with some cunny smile.

16. Pretty girl

July 19, 2015 at 1:04 am

This noble guy and his bears is something else oh and his head looks so massive in all the pictures he took

• nnenne

July 19, 2015 at 2:30 pm

@ Pretty girl. … Why taunt people on things they have no control over? Did the poor guy create himself? Should he hide or kill himself because he has a big head? Are you God that created him?
      Am glad he accepted himself as he was created and not an introvert. You that’s an epitome of beauty, where are you?

17. rose

July 19, 2015 at 1:25 am

Nicce one but why everybody is clishing with Dbang?

18. Regnawii

July 19, 2015 at 1:39 am

Its lik a Dbanj and Bonang photo shoot featuring evrybody else as in dey are in almost evry pix. Africans doing gud, evrybodys outfit on point ?

19. king

July 19, 2015 at 4:05 am

flavour and pyno the duo their dress were very poor.

20. Smith

July 19, 2015 at 5:15 am

this is humility from the highest order from the legendary d Banj and not all that pretentious humility we see from our so call artists and don jazzy can’t do this….d Banj is just a natural person that has always fight and wish everyone gud in the industry, he just wanted African music to b recognized outside this continent and thank God DAT ur effort is not in vain,congrat again and more Blessing, The legend in the game.

• Ex gay

July 19, 2015 at 8:52 am

Welllllllllllllllllll… I think I agree with u

21. tilda

July 19, 2015 at 7:29 am

Just love the new health conscious african men. They look slick in their suits. They all turned out looking Good. I dear say they turned out better than the ladies.

22. dammy

July 19, 2015 at 8:51 am

congrat to @i’amd’banj (bangalee himself) more grace to ur elbow…. anyway reveal d real truth abt u and miss bonang

• Tari

July 19, 2015 at 10:00 am

There is nothing to reveal.
      It is simply PR. for Bonang it is to confuse the South African public who wish to know who she is dating after her drama with mini-loaf.
      For Dbanj it is all about relevance.

23. Uju

July 19, 2015 at 8:57 am

It’s not humility from Dbanj……. It’s a ploy to stay relevant and get back in the game. Humility and Dbanj are mutually exclusive. He will do anything and I mean anything to try to stay relevant given that he hasn’t sang a meaningful thing in seven years it’s a wonder how he got the award.

And anything includes rubbing shoulders or toasting any female who is relevant in the game and can put his name forward for the award……..take note Bonang

• annonymous

July 19, 2015 at 11:53 am

7 years huh………when was the biggest song globally that ever came out of africa was released……..most times i just pity you people keep being ignorant remember its showbiz anything to keep stacking the dough is welcomed

• olayinka

July 22, 2015 at 6:44 pm

i think nico and vinz , am i wrong is global n a cool song

• olayinka

July 22, 2015 at 6:42 pm

sick people……………….can’t you shhhhhhhhhhhh

24. Honey

July 19, 2015 at 8:59 am

Uummm bellanaija, na only dbanj and bonang wey make it to the red carpets??? Zaamn why all these pictures of them?? Una no tire dem

25. Truth

July 19, 2015 at 9:01 am

All I see is dbanj and bonang, dbanj please hold her down she’s a bomb ass chick, dbanj and iyanya looked dapper, flavor and phyno hmmm I comment my reserve

26. dapo

July 19, 2015 at 9:37 am

Phyno and Flavour dressed like a correct igbo man, wearing Jacket and flower red shirt… i am dead. lmao.”Inside my mind right now, I am not dead in Jesus name” lmao

• Nne

July 19, 2015 at 2:19 pm

hahha you cracked me up……but you talk true

27. le coco

July 19, 2015 at 9:44 am

Why does dbanj like serious looking baes. Bonang tho.. she is Fire…. bt I dnt think they will last.. cus they r just waay too successful. .. in different countries… nd bonang is literally soaring over here.. she aint trying to get married nd move to Nigeria. . Lol… sha.. good luck to them.. they r cute nd I do think the feelings r real .. nd congrats to all the winners.. well deserved

28. Tari

July 19, 2015 at 9:58 am

Darey Art-Alade!!!
    A man of style is always a man of style.
    Style never screams, it always whispers.

29. Stella Kashmoney

July 19, 2015 at 10:36 am

Dbanj is back in the game. Good for him.

30. J.J

July 19, 2015 at 12:18 pm

D’banj which one be this one wey you come wear tie and big chain altogether?…Nawaooo….i never see this kind of dressing before…please try to grow up in ur dressing code…As for phyno and flavour…hmmmm! which kind of dressing be this one wey flavour just dress like office clerk and phyno dress like oga driver….nawaooo…abeg make una no fall my hand again oooo!….i dey vex here….. before i forget, Iyanya my brother is WELL, God is watching.

31. Amh

July 19, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Wonder why dbanj is with the facially challenged south african
    The indinmi girl is stunning
    It seems he likes them ugly

32. J.J

July 20, 2015 at 1:09 am

Pls can someone help me to get direct line to contact Bellanaija or help me with their address….Is very urgent because we will have a wedding which we would want them to cover. Thanks

33. precy

July 20, 2015 at 12:48 pm

why r pple fighting over this issue of Igbo pple, wat does Igbo pple do? or are special in some kinda way please educate me am nt frm Nigeria would like to know why pple exchange words al e tym over igbo

• George

July 21, 2015 at 1:24 pm

No, they are not fighting. They are greeting themselves. Igbo people are loving. Yoruba people are loving. Hausa people are loving. Nigeria is loving!