News

Man who Abandoned Wife and 3 Sets of Twins Reunited with Family

BellaNaija.com

woman and triplets

Ruth Uche, mother of the 3 sets of twins who was abandoned by her husband, Benjamin Uche, and given welfare by Lagos state governor, Akinwumi Ambode, has been in the headlines for the past couple of days.

Benjamin reportedly abandoned them as a result of the expected birth of another set of twins from his wife, making it the third in a row – and he was scared about the financial implications of taking care of his family.

The Nation reports that Benjamin returned to his wife on Wednesday, after being away for three months.

Here is an account of their emotional reunion:

Uche, after days of persuasion by his wife Ruth yesterday returned to a new home – a yet-to-be-painted mini-flat in Ogun State.

The Uches used to stay in Agege on the outskirts of Lagos. Mrs. Uche, a teacher, had two sets of twins. Another set came in February.

Just as this reporter was about to leave her apartment, she came face to face with a light complexioned man wearing an Arsenal jersey, a pair of jeans and slippers, holding two polythene bags.

He looked confused, uttered no word, save for the exchange of pleasantries and made to move away when Hope, the Uches’ former neighbour, saw him.

“Papa ejima (father of twins), where are you coming from? So you are still alive? Please come inside and sit down,” she exclaimed.

Upon hearing ‘Papa ejima’, Mrs Uche rushed to the door. She didn’t run into his arms to hug or kiss him, but stood and watched him for some minutes after offering him one of the plastic seats in the living room.

But he did not sit down, rather, he went straight for his newborn babies. He was seeing the three months olds for the first time.

Uche held both on each arm, smiling and then collapsed into the blue chair, admiring them.

Still looking at the babies, he asked: “Where are my other children? How are you people?”

Hope told Uche that the other children were at her aunt’s house not too far from the neighbourhood.

After about seven minutes when Mrs. Uche seemed to have regained her composure, she entered the kitchen, brought a sachet water in a silver steel plate and offered it to her husband who refused to collect it.

After much persuasion from all the women in the room, Uche finally collected the water and from the way he gulped it, it was obvious he was very thirsty.

As Mrs. Uche sat down on one of the children’s plastic chairs, she asked her husband if he was back for good.

“God I thank you for answering my prayers. So, you are here. You look emaciated. You have lost so much weight. I hope you have come back for good. Please, do not leave us again,” she told Uche, who did not reply.

Having allowed him play with his babies and relaxed for about 20 minutes, this reporter, reminded Uche of their several telephone discussions.

He said: “Like I told you on phone, it was not easy for me. I contemplated suicide on several occasions. I cannot believe I am here, holding my kids for the first time since they were born three months ago.

“When I left, I initially went to the village where I spent a month. After that, I came back to Lagos but stayed with my friend around Oko-Oba in Agege. I still live with him.

“I know that I was not far from them, but I just did not went to return without a better solution on how to cater for my home. I was ashamed too to come back to that house to see them after I’d abandoned them and run away.

“But after our discussions and my wife told me that they had moved, I went to our old house and asked one of the neighbors who had been here for direction so that I could come and see them,” he said, shaking his head.

1. iseemaths

July 16, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Dear BN,

Can you please give us a dislike button! Some ignorant/disgusting comments needs to be disliked. I read some things and i am prettified on the amount of hate oozing out of one person. Kindly discuss and thank me later. I know necolebitchie had thumbs down enabled in comment section before she closed down her blog.

BN Readers, if you second this motion pls like, maybe we can get BN to just do something, and if you dont second the motion, you should have the right to dislike but there is no dislike button. So like it anyways so you can get that dislike button too.

iseemaths.

2. iseemaths

July 16, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Ooh well forgiveness abounds in relationships… So who am i to judge them. I just pray he doesn’t run away again if the going gets tough. What if she was not brought to the limelight and no one helped her, would he return? Or did he just return cos things got better for her? Again, i am no judge so welcome back to your family Mr Uche and please stick around through thick and thin this time…???

3. gwen

July 16, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Sounds like a planned “story” to me…

4. London Chicken

July 16, 2015 at 5:58 pm

This is like a nollywood movie

5. Spanish Guitar

July 16, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I smell a rat…but it’s all good. Welcome home deserter.

6. FasholasLover

July 16, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Where has he been? Why did he run away? After providing answers, he should be stripped naked and flogged with a cane soaked overnight in kerosine infused with fresh pepper. Then given vasectomy. If not, this time around Na triplets. Idiot person. I did not say “man”.

• DAMI

July 16, 2015 at 9:38 pm

You are angry o…ahn ahnn lmao

• leigh

July 17, 2015 at 1:22 pm

lmao. gosh FasholaLover…..you just made my day. i cannot recall the last time i laughed this hard.

7. Ifeyinwa Mic

July 16, 2015 at 6:05 pm

waiting for the comments

8. Susie

July 16, 2015 at 6:10 pm

What a useless man. Reuniting with them as he’s aware the Lagos State Government has given her money, and provided her with some things. Had the government not done this, would he have reunited? She has to be cautious of this irresponsible and insensitive man.

9. James

July 16, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Mr. Uche, please no more children. Try birth control.

10. Lina

July 16, 2015 at 6:29 pm

I hope this means that they will learn better birth control methods preferably something permanent like a vasectomy.

11. Aquarian

July 16, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Odiegwu! See this man ooo, onye ara, oniranu. Orisirisi…you fled, now you’re back after your family has a better life. Mhen, some women can take shit kwa. She suppose pour hot water for hin leg make hin waka back to where dem be chase am from. With all due respect this woman has no common sense at all, to hell with love and being the father of my kids…yada yada yada!!! Mtchew…

12. Omoté

July 16, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Shameless man! U do not under any circumstances abandon ur wife n kids! If the state hadn’t intervened nko? U tot she’d produce tubers of yam after climbing her???? If dem like make dem no sew their yansh after dis! (Xcuse my language, dis whole story made me really angry.)

13. Omoté

July 16, 2015 at 6:39 pm

*circumstance.

14. Spanish Guitar

July 16, 2015 at 6:43 pm

I smell a rat….welcome home deserter.

15. trudy

July 16, 2015 at 6:46 pm

He heard about the money an scholarship the kids got.! Shameful man!

16. James

July 16, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Maybe God touched his heart .. Well Thank God

17. shady

July 16, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Uchennna may thunder fire ur arse ten times over. Instead of u to be a man and follow ur wife nd seek public help mbaaaa u can’t Now u arrive they behave like d man of d house. Be careful next time na acid then go offer u drink no be ice water.

18. Dollyp

July 16, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Why he come back na?!

19. tunmi

July 16, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Someone called it on the previous post. This ish right here….abeg get some family planning as well: condoms, patch, pill, SOMETHING!!! And the pleading for him to drink water lmaooo I just kent

20. olu

July 16, 2015 at 7:21 pm

It must have been an initial reaction on the guys part and then shame kept him away. Let’s hope he zips it up and does whatever is needed to take care of his responsibility.
    And to those yabbing the woman for taking him back, what help can you offer her??

21. Joke

July 16, 2015 at 7:32 pm

As much as I don’t condone what Mr. Uche did, he probably did the best thing for his family to get help. The same thing happens in the US with the way welfare system works. If a man’s in the picture, most women don’t get welfare, but once the man is gone, the state takes over and cares for them. That’s one of the main reasons African Americans say is responsible for so many single parent homes starting many decades ago. Mr. Uche, suicide kwa? After bringing so many mouths into the world to feed. Take your time oh. LOL! God will provide for them. I wish them the very best.

• Diggs

July 16, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Joke, I really do love your comment. Fantastic write…

22. hauwa

July 16, 2015 at 7:33 pm

This is a scam jor! Plus d Mrs Uche too na scammer. He shld be arrested.

23. zeal

July 16, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Before!!!!

24. Amh

July 16, 2015 at 8:16 pm

She will be pregnant again soon. I van bet the man will be one of the peeps that drums. Yoruba people are dirty and lazy. Yet they are your life saver. Oshisco. Why not appeal to enugu guv instead. Madam tie your tubes immediately.

• kehinde

July 16, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Tribalism ish smh “Yoruba people are dirty” kilode

25. yellow sissy

July 16, 2015 at 9:41 pm

@Aquarian bad mouth,if you were to be him,I know you will deny them.how many Nigeria men can stand that.

26. sultana

July 16, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Has anyone considered the possibility that this was planned? To garner publicity and public sympathy. I said possibility. If not then this guy is just sad. I mean who did you leave six children to cater for? The government should please impose family planning, if not, in the next couple of years. ..

27. nnenne

July 16, 2015 at 9:56 pm

They should now go for a permanent contraception like bilateral tubal ligation, vasectomy or a long acting contraception like Implants, IUD, or get injections every three months. They should not take any chances.
    Other contraception have high failure rate.

28. mirabel

July 16, 2015 at 10:04 pm

its not reunification, its longer throat..he wants a piece of the national cake

29. Lilo

July 16, 2015 at 11:46 pm

This dude should be arrested. This sets a horrible precedence

30. Iris

July 17, 2015 at 2:21 am

I just think it’s too convenient that he came back after she got support from the government.

31. LALA

July 17, 2015 at 8:16 am

Congratulations Uche, you are truely a women of noble character spoken in bible, you are real a marrige material.

enjoy your blessing, and my the Lord Jesus bless your family.

32. Olajummie

July 17, 2015 at 8:23 am

BellaNaija, do you know their whereabout? They need to embrace modern contraceptives ASAP. I am a Family Planning provider and will really love to help them. The level of ignorance in our society is so high. I have women who can barely feed their children still boosting they are yet to stop having children.

33. adelegirl

July 17, 2015 at 9:09 am

Well, now that he is back, he needs to get a vasectomy stat! All these people giving them money should also teach them about birth control! So much cheaper than giving birth like rabbits. It is irresponsible to procreate knowing that you do not have the means to take care of the children especially when you already have more than enough mouths to feed as it is, then you run away and make your personal problem a public problem! Ehn, how much is gold circle condom or birth control pills or other forms of birth control. I am sorry but I had not a single iota of pity for this family. The woman is a teacher so she is at least somewhat learned and not an illiterate who doesn’t know about birth control. Isn’t it ironic that most people who have the means to cater to a football team, most times only have 2 children?

34. new bride

July 17, 2015 at 10:29 am

And this is why poverty is a disease!

After the first and second set of twins (4 kids), you still felt the need to have more kids? And then start begging the world to help you. Hope Lagos State will tie her tubes and give him a vasectomy as part of their assistance.

35. Really Nice

July 17, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Welcome home, love your children and wife, all gifts from above

36. Nicole

July 17, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Well, I’m glad he came back, but when he says things like it’s not been easy for him, he should think hard. If it isn’t easy for him, how easy does he assume it would be for his wife handling all 6 of them if he abandons her and them. Fact is as easy or difficult as things may be, he has to remain committed to trying. Hope they seek help with family planning so as not to make life worse for themselves and their other children, because it isn’t fair to them either. Best of luck to them.

37. Divaclan

July 17, 2015 at 5:20 pm

We women are so gullible sha! If money wasnt involved would this man have come back? To think the yeye woman accepted him back

38. Drknite

July 17, 2015 at 6:30 pm

I would run away too. 3 sets of twins. !?!?!?!?!?

39. takeresponsibilty

July 20, 2015 at 11:48 am

We are all human – we make mistakes, but it is really bad if we can not learn from our mistakes! The government should make this family the POSTER CHILD for the necessity of family planning and the need to address this scourge in our society.
    Their story, as it unfolded brought tears to my eyes for so many reasons. It shows so many ills in our society. 1) Why come to Lagos, if things did not work in already overpopulated lagos, why not go back home and farm, At least, between the 2 of you, you will eat, teach your children some good hardworking skills. The fact that the option was not even considered!
    2) Why after the 2nd set, why not contraceptives – at least if you copulate – breeding is almost always assured.
    3) Help given to this women without conditions that will better her life. Before help was given and after help was rendered, she should be made accountable by signing an agreement of sorts, e.g. tubal litigation, or if spouse returns, some condition for repayment of sorts over time, etc.
    i could go on… the welcoming back without adequate amends making etc of the husband.. both by wife and neighbors.. let me stop here. Huge sigh! we have a long way to go.