News

Want to Join the British Police Force? You’ll Need to Learn Yoruba or 1 of 13 Other Stipulated Languages

dreamstime_xl_22291676

Has it always been your dream to join the British police force? If so, you will need to be able to speak Yoruba, or one of other thirteen languages, as specified by the Metropolitan Police.

According to Daily Mail, the rationale behind the new rule is that authorities want to bolster the number of officers able to speak and understand 14 languages which are widely used across London.

Here is the official announcement, as well as the list of languages:

Scotland Yard

However, the new mandate that aspiring police officers must be bilingual has sparked widespread criticism across the country.

For instance, retired Met Police officer Chris Hobbs said: Won’t this also adversely affect the recruitment of guys and girls from the black community whom we would like to see more of?”

The British Twittersphere also made their voice heard. Here are some messages they tweeted:

Scotland Yard 2

However, authorities have noted that the language requirement mandate is just for a 1-month trial, and after its efficacy has been reviewed, it will be decided whether or not to make the law permanent.

***

BellaNaijarians in Britain, what do you think of the new law?

Photo Credit: John Roman/Dreamstime.com (*Photo is for illustrative purposes only).

1. Tola

July 21, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Open door. Praise God

2. Mz Socially Awkward...

July 21, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Hahahahahaha! This makes me laugh and remember that episode of “UK Border Force” where the UKBA officers picked up this Naija bros working illegally somewhere in London and he told them his passport was at a certain address … or that he’d lost his passport and was living at a certain address… I can’t recall the details. What I recall, though, was when they took him to the flat he claimed to stay in and he was shouting in Yoruba to the person behind the door not to open up, not realising that one of the oyibo officers understood the language. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Who else watched it? 🙂 My people no dey carry last at all … E don really reach for London Met to understudy our over 200 different national dialects…

• Erika

July 21, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Yes I did! That’s what I was thinking about when reading the article and I was going to make a comment about it when I saw yours. lol hilarious!

• Felinda

July 21, 2015 at 5:07 pm

i never watched it but even reading what you wrote has made me laugh out loud
      please let me know if you get more details so i can search on youtube and watch too.
      That is hilarious

• newbie

July 21, 2015 at 6:01 pm

MSA your head dey there! I watched that episode and laughed my head off… dude was banging on the door and shouting ma shilekun!
      When I read the announcement just now, the first thing that came to my mind was this is either a spoof, or the old bill is trying to infiltrate my brethren and sistren. Somebody please tell them we have their password. Odeshi!

• Pat

July 21, 2015 at 9:35 pm

” dude was banging on the door and shouting ma shilekun!” Lmao u guys have killed me with laugh 🙂

• PurpleiciousBabe

July 21, 2015 at 8:06 pm

lool…
      I wanna watch it…..
      pls tell me.. hahahahahahah

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 21, 2015 at 10:03 pm

@Erika & Newbie, for real, that episode cracked me up – he never “hesspered” it! ?? And the other infamous one where our brother with the hardened features and body of an adult man well into his 30s was claiming to be 15 yrs old to claim asylum? And he even travelled into the country using some woman’s residence permit? You don’t know whether to laugh or cry about what your country is turning its citizens into – and, of course, he ended up escaping from the asylum house they eventually sent him to. All hail Naija…

My friend had a short term contract in London where she worked as an interpreter for Nigerians in detention centres who claimed not to understand a word of English… then they’ll tell her in Igbo that they were just lying to buy time until they could find a way to escape detention. The work wey these oyibo people dey face, ehn, no be today e go end.

@Felinda, I wish I could say what season and episode it was so you could catch it on YouTube. The one of the “15 year old” is definitely on YouTube, though; just search for UK Borderforce Season 2 Episode 8.

3. fred

July 21, 2015 at 4:45 pm

This is necessary since most yorubas in London are 419 scammers and commit a lot of crimes. This is the police we are talking about here. Cant be for good.

• clementine

July 21, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Gbam.It is nothing to be proud of .Igbo people will be next

4. ty

July 21, 2015 at 4:46 pm

so my aunt beat up her son (he was about 19 0r 20 year old then) at the train station in the uk… the police interfered, she began pleading in english and stating all her woes and trials being a single mum with no support watsoever…blah blah blah…while telling the son in yoruba that if i get home before you tonight… this beating is just part 1, you will receive part 2 behind closed doors… lol… the police eventually released her since there was no mark on the boy and well, he had to support his momma at that point… but yes, he got the part 2 beating at home… :).. yoruba mums and their wonderful slaps, even uk Met no fit restrain some of them…

• MC

July 21, 2015 at 5:51 pm

You aunt was beating up her grown son at the train station!?! Really!?!
      And even after police intervention (and potential arrest), she still went on to beat him again. Oh. Okay.

5. Amh

July 21, 2015 at 9:26 pm

@fred. I teckon you must be a whiteman hence your comments. Igbos second name is fraud. All over the world there are known as scammers. 419. Love scam. Virtual container. Penchant for foreign women and so on
    Fred you are dumb.

• Honey

July 22, 2015 at 4:10 am

I actually thought he wanted to type Igbo then mistakenly wrote Yoruba. Lmao. Don’t give out Igbo crown to Yoruba, a beg. Igbokwenu

• itsnotjustaboutyou!

July 22, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Sorry, my dear. I am neither Igbo nor Yoruba but the real Nigerian 419 scammers are Yoruba; fraud and all, name it. They beat the igbos by some percentage. And this is me speaking from a neutral position and with access to such information. No, I won’t tell you how I have access to this information. All I can say is enough of this attack on one another. No one cares whether you are Hausa, Igbo or Yoruba. We are all labelled as 419 scammers by the rest of the world.

• me

July 22, 2015 at 5:51 pm

So in your wisdom, British police needed someone fluent in Yoruba in order to arrest Igbo scam artists..Education in this country has really become terrible. Have they stopped “Verbal reasoning and Quantitative aptitude in schools?

6. MOI

July 22, 2015 at 1:08 pm

@AMH…. Nigerians like u come to social media to say all sorts abt other tribes because you can get away with it. if you wanted to educate fred who you think is a WHITEman ( in ur language), I believe you should do that with class without dragging another tribe into ur tasteless, tribalistic, and foolish statements about the IGBOS. If you have actually been to London, you will def know that Yorubas practically own there, and u must definitely see the good, the bad and the ugly. My sister/brother, if you have been reading or listening or watching ur NEWS, U will also know that every tribe is guilty of every dubious act you mentioned in your senseless comment. please note that the guys who were extradited from SA to USA were all Yorubas.. Ofcourse Igbos have their share of dubious acts as well as the yourbas, hausas, and other tribes we have in Nigeria.

7. amaaa

July 22, 2015 at 2:30 pm

In as much I want to see this as a compliment ,I will air on the side of caution. This news simply means that their are more people committing crimes that come from the tribes listed above.
    For example if you are a hotel owner and you notice that a lot of your customers speak French that will automatically reflect on your hiring decision.
    All you have to do is read DM and other tabloids to see the rate of crimes in the UK and the culprits. Sad day

8. Fred

July 23, 2015 at 12:58 am

Why the argument? Yorubas are the most scammers in London. Not news now. Is it everything you want to argue about? Thats why the police has to learn yoruba. Haba

9. hopeful