News

Ooni of Ife’s Wives Can Only Be Inherited by New Oba or Stay Widows

BellaNaija.com

Ooni of Ife's OlorisAccording to an unnamed palace chief in Ife, the wives of the late Oba Okunade Sijuwade cannot re-marry. They can only be ‘inherited’ by the next Ooni of Ife or remain widows.

The Nation reports,

“The rules is general and applies to all Ooni that has passed on and not peculiar to the wives of Oba Sijuwade, the immediate past Ooni. There may not be a clearly defined repercussion against the tradition but it is advisable that the order is obeyed at all times and for all generations. The best that can happen to the Oloris left behind by any late Ooni is for them to remain single or be inherited by the reigning Ooni.”

He added that it does not matter whether the wives are young or old, “what matters is that the tradition must be sustained in the overall interest of the society.”

The late Ooni’s wives are Oloris Morisola, Ladun, Odunayo, Adedolapo and Linda and their ages are between 40s and 60s.

The first wife, Olori Yetunde, the mother of the first son, Prince Adetokubo, died some years ago, long before Oba Sijuwade.

Source: The Nation

1. EweduSmoker

August 22, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Shall we say; the Oloris have entered ONE CHANCE…

• Kadara

August 22, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I seriously doubt that,most of them are interested in remarrying either way. Nigerian women with grown kids and at that age usually prefer to concentrate on their kids, grand kids and their religion so I doubt they care. Plus I’m sure it’s not news to them

• jide

August 22, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Huh? These gold digging women are always looking for a come up. You think it’s love that made 6 women agree to share one man?

• EweduSmoker

August 22, 2015 at 9:24 pm

@Kadara…Thou hath wonderful points.

• Nira

August 24, 2015 at 8:23 am

it doesn”t only apply to ooni of ife’s wives…..its the same for all Oloris in Yoruba Kingdom.

2. Anon

August 22, 2015 at 5:57 pm

The first sentence in italics.

The new Ooni will have his own wife/wives and won’t need to inherit them.

3. ElessarisEllendil

August 22, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Before this devolves, I’ll try to be the voice of reason. Anybody know why the immortal Elizabeth 2 is on the throne??? Because her uncle had to abdicate when he wanted to marry a divorced woman. He could not as the Head of the Church of England. All Monarchies have their quirks.

BTW If you see pictures of the woman the guy abdicated his throne for, you’ll believe in the existence of jazz, absolutely no way that woman didn’t use a love potion.

• Jemila

August 22, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Someone finally sees what I see…whenever I see that lady, I be like WTF, we may never be able to understand such a love…

• Anon

August 22, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Wallis Simpson was an egghead. He must have been attracted to that and her American laissez faire attitude. Contrast that to his stuffy royal life. Cue, Camilla Parker-Bowles. Pure love, nothing else and definitely not jazz/love portion.

• Professor X

August 22, 2015 at 8:34 pm

She was also a social climber. She seized opportunity to become the Prince Edward’s mistress, when his first mistress was away in America. See Gobe!

• advisory committee

August 22, 2015 at 8:55 pm

No be small jazz. Waffi people say na “egbelekokumiyo.” No be jazz oh. The man jam woman wey no stiff wey sabi “wind im lower half.” Bobo see am say “there is life without the throne!”

• Nikky

August 22, 2015 at 9:33 pm

It’s not jazz, it’s love my dear. I kinda understand. In high school I had d biggest crush on the ugliest boy In my class, with his big nose and Akpana head.

• ElessarisEllendil

August 23, 2015 at 1:30 am

And………………….don’t just stop there, complete the story please.

• Spirit

August 23, 2015 at 8:20 am

It was the hypocrisy of the thirties that locked Edward VIII out of the throne. Prince Charles divorced Diana and married his longstanding mistress Camilla Parker Bowles (who was somebody’s else’s wife while they were at it) and the House of Windsor has still not ruled out his ascension from the throne.

• Kristy

October 29, 2015 at 5:20 am

Lol, I thought I was the only person that believed that. Wallis Simpson was not a pretty woman but I guess she had a charm about her. And I believe she was even older than Edward VIII.

4. Adadinma Bae

August 22, 2015 at 6:17 pm

The first wives of dese kings always die before dem.na wa

5. Ade

August 22, 2015 at 6:18 pm

ONLY GOD IS IMMORTAL.

6. ATL's finest

August 22, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Ok it’s not funny but I’m laughing so hard! Lord ve mercy.. Well let me sit back, sip my tea and read comments..

7. francisca oma

August 22, 2015 at 6:27 pm

What a tradition.

8. bruno

August 22, 2015 at 6:29 pm

dolapo oni do u know what u have gotten your self into? lol “longer throat” will kill some people.

seriously, this is 2015 and they are still inheriting women. and the silly women are allowing themselves to be inherited. really?

I thought people love to brag about how well educated yoruba kings and chiefs are? long hisss.

• Ijebujesha

August 22, 2015 at 7:47 pm

What has Dolapo Oni got to do with this, jealous people. This is 2015, so what? Even the Britons that are pioneers of present day modernization have VERY STRICT rules guiding their monarchy. Stop trying to be more British than the Queen, tradition is tradition. And adding Princess Dolapo to the discuss smirks of envy and misery on your part.

• bruno

August 22, 2015 at 8:10 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

you called her “princess dolapo” looooool
      that’s the funniest thing I have ever read. who is going to address her as “princess dolapo”

tradition is tradition, u are silly for saying such. a bellanaija writer wrote an article about Nigerian tradition yesterday,go and read it.

• Investor looking to buy property

August 23, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Please Bruno do you know where any of these five properties are located. I would like to buy one in the 40-45 range. This is an investment that I will use to run my cooking, cleaning and comfort industry.

Ok…let me now get serious! I am ashamed that all these “outspoken” BN female readers are not shouting how backward this is. This should not be happening in 2015! WOMEN ARE NOT PROPERTY! They are human and have a basic right to not be treated like this! To paraphrase what Obama said in Kenya – some cultures are stupid and need to change!

9. Olu

August 22, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Tribalism and some parts of our culture are worse than our leaders.

10. jide

August 22, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Women and their atenuje. Smh. 40 something woman now a widow of a llate 85 year old oba . I hope you are happy now that in your 40s and you will remain a widow for life and can’t remain cos I’m sure the new oba won’t want to shine your Congo. Hehe. I hope this is all worth it. Olla ni iyonu for real.

• Certifiable

August 23, 2015 at 4:16 pm

@ Jide Thanks be to manufacturers of dildos for the unending mercies

11. madman

August 22, 2015 at 6:37 pm

And so…. even young babes dey kill themselves to find husband.

12. Theurbanegirl

August 22, 2015 at 6:57 pm

This law is totally repugnant to natural justice, equity and good conscience.

13. Hanee

August 22, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Since Dolapo Oni started dating Ooni’s son bellanaija won’t let us rest. Am sure the lady knows who she married more than most of us. Let the case rest and report on Alake, Olubadan, Oba of Benin and other important Obas. Enough of Ooni this and that.

• Idomagirl

August 22, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Why must you people drag Dolapo into any story involving the Oni? na wa…

14. AW

August 22, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Some people here are suffering from diarrhoea of the mouth. Incessant rubbish just pours out of their mouth! You know yourselves! No decorum whatsoever! Long throat ni, long throat ko!

15. Idomagirl

August 22, 2015 at 8:31 pm

I’m pretty sure these women were aware of these rules before they married him. These things were not instituted overnight (I’m not justifying anything. just saying).

• Investor looking to buy property

August 23, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Ahhhhh…..my darling Idomagirl (with the sexy eyes)…….you have fall my hand! I always saw you as one of the most sensible commenters on this blog. How can you say they all knew what they were getting into. Don’t you know how traditional rulers get their wives? Many of these women are FORCED to marry them out of fear that evil will befall them if the say no to Oduduwa’s representative on earth!

BTW: my brother says hello…….he cannot help being pulled in by those eyes.

16. Nell

August 22, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Hmm. Did they know what they were getting themselves into when they married him? He has some beautiful wives that can easily remarry like olori ladun and dolapo i don’t know the others. Wow na wa oh. I also heard many years ago that if the ooni saw a lady he fancied and wanted to marry her she couldn’t say no. I don’t know how true this. This leaves me wondering if the same rules apply to the Alaafin of Oyo with all his beautiful very young wives. Some fascinating stuff!!

17. Diuto

August 22, 2015 at 11:46 pm

So women are still property without rights in this day and age. Ok o kontinu!

18. LB

August 23, 2015 at 1:33 am

Tradition propanganda, naivety, greed and lust for power brought them to where they are. Realities ia now dawning on them, Anyway itsntheir own cup of garium sulphate and they should joyfully lap it up

19. nnenne

August 23, 2015 at 2:25 am

One man’s terrorist is another man’s hero.
    We gotta respect people’s culture. Diversity exists for good reasons.

20. Kiki

August 23, 2015 at 8:50 am

Well it says they can’t remarry. But relationships were not crossed out. I’m sure women have been finding their way for generations!

21. kim kim

August 23, 2015 at 12:40 pm

I cannot believe that in 2015, women are still being inherited like property. For Christ’s sake!! They should be able to remarry when ever they choose to, to whomever they like without having a useless archaic tradition dictating what to do to them

22. Koffie

August 23, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Thank you Kiki, your head dey there ?. The tradition says they can’t remarry a commoner (just an Ooni), it said nothing about shining Congo. Plus most women in that age just want to face their kids like Kadara said.

23. fay

August 23, 2015 at 7:35 pm

THis is an aside..i can’t help but notice how pretty the wife first from the left is..she is older yet has such delicate features with no make up…black beauty…

24. Papermoon

August 23, 2015 at 8:28 pm

You can’t continue to observe traditional practices that violates fundamental human rights. The man is dead. Whether the surviving widows marry or remain widows should be their decision. There is nothing to be gained from treating women like some dead guy’s PROPERTY. They are not chattels. They are human beings capable of making choices. With even the British monarchy, one has a choice of abdicating the title. These women have no choice. That’s unacceptable.

25. Papermoon

August 23, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Bellanaija, please don’t eat up my comment on this issue. Any cultural practice that treats women like mere PROPERTIES of men is no more useful. In civilised societies the women should have the choice to abdicate whatever place of privilege they occupy if they choose to marry again. Women are not chattels to be inherited.

The opinion stated here does not reflect the position of BELLANAIJA. There you have a disclaimer, now publish my comment.

26. Kenny Jossy

August 23, 2015 at 11:16 pm

No sane person go make attempt to marry these women bc, those fetish palace chief & juju priest go don put magu for these women body trust Yoruba people. The reason why Nigeria remain a dark country, na practice like these. The youth better take back that country and change the tide, fetish and nasty tradition like this, will not help them progress. May God show tuna the light.

27. chi-e-z

August 24, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Bullsh#t marry who you want to marry jor what will they do go and throw you off a cliff. Abeg, no mind all the jabber isn’t naija sef who dey pay rule attention 4 that country.

28. naveah

August 24, 2015 at 7:21 pm

RE: Wallis Simpson, Camilla Parker Bowles and the princes

Make una leave matter to Mathias, the ugly ones make the best lovers o LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMAO. Listen, if your face no fine you better be good at the horizontal mamba aka knocking boots aka riding good d–k as JayZ put it so succinctly.

(this is all said tongue in cheek, no joke oooooooooooooo abeg. I know intelligence and the inner beauty counts too)