Scoop

Genevieve Nnaji is Back! Get the EXCLUSIVE Scoop on her New Movie ‘Road to Yesterday’ & Watch the Teaser Trailer

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

A0-RTYPoster1

We are super excited to announce that Genevieve Nnaji will be featured in a new movie that will be released in all Nigerian cinemas in November.

The movie ‘Road to Yesterday’ produced by T.E.N (The Entertainment Network) and directed by Ishaya Bako stars the Award-winning actress, Genevieve Nnaji and introduces Nigerian-British actor, Oris Erhuerho.

Majid Michel, Chioma ‘Chigul’ Omeruah and veteran Ebele Okaro lead the supporting cast.

Set and shot in various parts of Lagos Nigeria, ‘Road to Yesterday’ is an epic love story, about a couple desperate to mend its marriage on a road trip to a relative’s funeral. However when memories and secrets from the past are revealed, a lot more is at stake than their relationship.

Genevieve Nnaji, stars as ‘Victoria Izu’ the conflicted wife and mother. This is her first feature film in over two years.

7a 9

The original screenplay was written and directed by Ishaya Bako.

Watch the teaser trailer below.

The Nigerian Premiere of ‘Road to Yesterday’ is set for Wednesday 18th November 2015 in Lagos, Nigeria.

For more information, visit www.roadtoyesterday.com.

1. Vics

September 29, 2015 at 9:29 am

hmmm….not sure about this one, story line looks cliche and Genevieve with her usual way of delivering roles. Wish she can get roles that will push her out of the box.

• Wale

September 29, 2015 at 11:46 am

I knew I had seen this plot before it is a copy of the story from Audrey Hepburn and Albert finney’s movie -two for the road. You know nothing can be original in Naija.

• meems

September 29, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Different versions of movies are constantly being remade in Holywood and I can name a whole lot for you except I do not have that time. This is a Nigerian version if you care so stop this castigating of everything Nigerian.

• Johnson Haruna

October 1, 2015 at 10:27 am

Not a copy. The premise might be similar but that’s all. If it was set on a luxurious bus ppl will say its a copy of Spike Lee’s Get on the Bus. Or set in a hotel then it would be Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s upcoming By The Sea. BTW nothing is original anywhere. There are only new ways to tell the same stories. I’m sure ppl still believe William Shakespeare actually came up with the idea for Romeo & Juliet *SMDH*

• MOM

September 29, 2015 at 2:12 pm

GENEVIEVE WAS OUR TV QUEEN YEARS BACK, I STILL REMEMBER HOW ME AND MY SIBLINGS RUN AROUND TO GET ANY MOVIE WITH HER IN IT . SHE WAS A ROLE MODEL TO SO MANY YOUNG LADIES AND THEY SURE PUT IN THEIR BEST TO BE WHAT THEY WANTED TO BE. LIKE MERCY JOHNSON AND OTHERS. I BELIEVE IVIE SAW HER POTENTIALS IN GENNY TOO. right now there are too many people who are bringing out their best and A game in acting. Genny was in her best years back, i can tell her acting skill back then and what we have on the table right now . Ivie Okujaye is a STAR, AND AN ACTOR. she can switch from a poor homeless girl to the fearless arrogant next door girl in acting. she is good. mercy too. If only Genny can see beyond these and fix her self back in a dynamic way then we will applaud her more. We expect more from you GENNY THAN WHAT WE SEE IN THOSE THAT LOOK UP TO YOU AS THEIR ROLE MODEL.

• MOM

September 29, 2015 at 2:16 pm

GENNY COME BACK AND TAKE WHAT BELONGS TO YOU BEFORE YOU LOOSE IT ALLL. FANS SUPPORT YES FANS CAN LEAVE YOU TOO . IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW YOU IMPRESS THEM. FANS TOO MAKE YOU.

• ohpleasegenevieve

September 29, 2015 at 6:51 pm

The first thing I did when I saw this trailer is call this particular guy that is a very ridiculous fan of Genevieve that worked on the film set. He supports her stupidly and thinks she will win Oscar one day. After several tries he noticed I wasn’t going to give up so he picked and started laughing. Before I even spoke of my troubles with the trailer he asked me; “but doesn’t she look good in it?”, and went on to mention the intensity in the car scene with Genny and the lead male. The problem isn’t that the film looks bad, or that Genevieve does not look good in it, Genevieve should just be above this.‎‎‎ At Genevieve’s level, if her first produced and executive produced films looks like a lifetime film that won’t go anywhere, the demons is either within or she hasn’t been paying attention and doing her home work while away.

Before Genevieve’s voltrons start barking, I don’t hate Genevieve. I think she’s a fine actor. She used to mesmerise me in those days when she didn’t care if she had a make up on, those days she had pimples all over her face and played roles where she wasn’t afraid to stain her looks. ‎Someone on set of this film told me Genny spent time doing make up before and in between takes. She told me Genny’s face was touched at least once every hour. Same thing she did in the past films she appeared in….Doctor Bello, Half of a Yellow Sun and Weekend getaway all of which I didn’t enjoy her in and like at all.

The reason I am so unimpressed and even commenting is that I saw Genevieve congratulating Uzo Aduba for her Emmy award with her own version of Lupita oscar award winning speech where she talks about needing an opportunity and being prepared. She looks prepared but I will never understand why Genevieve will talk about looking for an opportunity? Maybe Genevieve needs reach out to and create her own SERIOUS opportunities. When she decides to take us to a journey with unique characters, we will relate.

• Johnson Haruna

October 1, 2015 at 10:18 am

Looks cliche how?

2. debee!

September 29, 2015 at 9:32 am

yeyyyyyyy

3. Aries

September 29, 2015 at 9:39 am

Yaay!!! One of Nigeria’s Best is back!!! cant wait to see the movie

4. nike

September 29, 2015 at 9:46 am

yipee! yipee ! yay! can’t wait

5. Me

September 29, 2015 at 9:51 am

Same old story line…Any ways good to see Genny back though

6. Thatgidigirl

September 29, 2015 at 9:57 am

Same ol delivery….genny style

7. pipi

September 29, 2015 at 10:10 am

not working for me with her one way style of acting, move over Genny ….. Ivie Okunjaye has taken over…. damn that girl can act!

• Ene

September 29, 2015 at 12:12 pm

The same Ivie?or the one that is to come?

• debee

September 29, 2015 at 12:25 pm

lol, please help me ask ohh, no be only she can act ,say something else oh jare

• cybernd

September 30, 2015 at 3:58 pm

the same ivie that copied the movie honey and ensured the sap the honey off the movie including the movie cover

• Tari

September 29, 2015 at 12:38 pm

If na only acting, with all her decades of experience, Gene is a learner when compared to Ivie. Ivie is a very good actress.
      However, when you add packaging and swag, Gene is untouchable.
      As an actor she is very average.

8. Billionaire in grace

September 29, 2015 at 10:12 am

Genevieve mamie, where have you been? i miss you sooooo much
    I want to watch this movie once is out.

9. Bey

September 29, 2015 at 10:14 am

Genny i love you no doubt about that, but you need to push it,bring it on…. Your expression in every role is becoming boring same with your interpretation…. All Nollywood should go for more training already to better their crafts

10. similicious

September 29, 2015 at 10:32 am

back to what exactly, mediocre acting?. Genevieve is a pioneer in the industry but like most Nollywood Pioneers,they fail to improve on their craft and rely on past glory. Genevieve please improve on your craft and take on challenging roles, take acting class, read more, do better and stop being a socialite, you are a star please.

11. Glory

September 29, 2015 at 10:53 am

She has not acted in over 4 years and it is showing big time. She will bounce back i am hoping. This is not it at all.

12. nene

September 29, 2015 at 10:57 am

she’s been working on this movie for a while now. no wonder she’s more dedicated to dstv/africa magic rather than amaa, they are supporting filmmakers greatly.

13. nene

September 29, 2015 at 11:00 am

her acting seems a little bit better but not as good, at least i see real tears. i will watch this because there seems to be some mystery in the film, i hope it’s not a typical love story gone wrong. genny does look like ivie okujaiye in this movie.

14. mrs chidukane

September 29, 2015 at 11:12 am

I had to watch the Trailer after reading the comments. Where did you guys see the same old same old acting style cos I didn’t see it?

• debee

September 29, 2015 at 12:28 pm

they’re judging her acting based on a three minutes clip, na wa

15. Ms Jayee

September 29, 2015 at 11:15 am

I am a mega fan of Genevieve, but I must agree with people who say her roles are stereotyped! It doesn’t show her versatility as an actor. It may be or not be her fault but I believe her manager or whoever should get her more challenging roles. Talking about manager, Chinny Onwuegbu (hope I got that right) we all know is her manager and I see here that both she and Genevieve are the Executive Producers of this movie! hmph! Ugwanu November we dey wait..

• ohpleasegenevieve

September 29, 2015 at 7:24 pm

I hate to say this cos I don’t know this Chinny but based on results in Genny’s acting career she’s not a good manager. I don’t know how long she’s been managing Genny for but HOAYS and Doctor Bello were poor choices for an actor like Genevieve. She seems to just be putting Genevieve in high profile roles with foreign actors and neglecting story. HOAYS might have been a good book but the script was obviously poor. If we excuse that what about Doctor Bello? Now she’s producing this stuff where with Genevieve that looks like a Nigerian smash hit and that’s it.

The only good manager I can think of in Nigeria is Mildred Okwo. She took Rita Dominic from B list to a strong A list. But even at that she has nothing to offer anymore cos The Meeting was nothing more but a Nigerian delight. Lupita’s manager I learnt got her the role in 12 Years a Slave. These women managers including Omotola’s need to offer them unique opportunity. Chinny appears to me like if Genevieve, pray she does, breaks out she will accept every role offered to Genny as long as it has a Hollywood known name.

Lupita’s manager didn’t let Lupita take the role as Will Smith’s wife in that movie about a Nigerian doctor. Managers are planners. They don’t just accept movie based on star power but story, who is behind it (technically) and what they hope to achieve.

• Naveah

September 29, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Rita Dominic was NOT a B list actor before Mildred Okwo began to manage her, she was always part of the Great 8. Rita was doing just fine before, actually she is doing LESS work now that she’s gotten her life and career tied into Mildred. Mildred used to manage Genevieve before Rita, GN left her and then she took up managing Rita; however this is my question…is she a one artist at a time manager? Who else has she managed? Who else has she taken to a different level?

Do not forget that these actors are NOT writing or producing work for themselves. Do not forget that some, if not most of the screen writers in Nollywood are AMATEURS and they tend to write stereotypes. When they see an actor excel in playing one role in a movie that might have sold very well, they keep writing the same thing in various ways for the same actor because they are NOT concern with the artistry or CRAFT but with MONEY. Once Genevieve plays that role in the movie Sharon Stone, she was doomed because from then on out most of the roles she’s accepted or has been offered has been one where she’s a tough, cold, arrogant executive head hunter etc. The actors themselves don’t help, some of them are already walking the red carpet before shooting the film. Most of them are more concerned with how THEY look like on screen and what fans will think and consider NOTHING about the character they are supposed to portray. You will see an actor coming in to play a secretary but insist on wearing her Louboutin shoes, why? Because another big name actor in the film gets to play an executive and wear designer brands. She doesn’t care that she’s playing a secretary who cannot possibly afford any of those fancy duds.

Yes, an actor needs a discerning manager/agent who orchestrate and maneuver the client’s career well but what are they supposed to do when offered the same drivel or when they have a client who may have their own idea of what they think they should be doing?

Most of Nollywood is the one eyed man leading the blind, if not the blind leading the blind. This is not Hollywood, the opportunities and TALENTS do not abound.

• ohpleasegenevieve

September 30, 2015 at 1:49 pm

‎‎
      How was Rita among the Great 8 before Mildred began to manage her? Back in 2007 or 2008 when Mildred began to manage her, Nkem Owoh, RMD, Genny, OmoT, Stephanie Okereke,‎ Ramsey/Emeka Ike, Ini Edo and Stella Damasus were the Great 8. Rita was ranked with the Dakore’s and Jim Iyke’s despite haven been around. The only memorable role she had was All My Life with OmoT and the film where she played Eno, a prostitute. She made posters but the Great 8 dominated them. Rita Dominic makes the Great 3 today.

Some people among the Great 8 back then have fallen far below Funke Akindele, Mercy Johnson, Majid Michel, Nse Ikpe Etim, Desmond Elliot, Uche Jumbo and Mike Ezeruonye (Mildred is managing him, she’s also managing upcoming actor Femi Jacobs)‎. A good manager sustains their client’s career and grows their fanbase. Give it to Mildred. It’s easier to fall than rise. Genevieve’s saving grace is she was once Nigeria’s sweetheart. She was even regarded as Nigerians first superstar. Men adored her, girls wanted to act like her. While OmoT’s must be that she is the poster girl for the ‘complete’ Nigerian woman. Cos for the past three years, these ladies have done nothing to match their supremacy.
      ‎‎
      Sharon Stone didn’t doom Genevieve. Am TIRED of hearing that. Writers are amateurs, directors have no clue but everyone is producing and their OWN films aren’t going anywhere either or looks like it can’t. Super Love, Two Together, Beloved, Critical Decision, Chosen One, The Rich Also Cry, Keeping Faith, Wind of Glory, Unfinished Business, Critical Condition and many more came after Sharon Stone. Nollywood in its obscurities and mediocrity gave these people fame and fortune, that’s a great platform but nobody is doing anything with it.

16. new bride

September 29, 2015 at 11:17 am

Nothing about this trailer makes me want to watch this movie.

Nollywood shoud go and learn from Hollywood na! After all these years haba!!!

Even the worst Hollywood movies have trailers that will literally make you drop everything and go to the cinema.

• Johnson Haruna

October 1, 2015 at 10:33 am

It’s just a teaser o, not the trailer. Maybe the trailer will ginger you. Maybe not. And I’m sure it’s not every Hollywood trailer you see that will make you to see the film. The story might not interest you but interest others.

• Luvbogg

October 2, 2015 at 6:05 pm

FIFTY…

17. anslem

September 29, 2015 at 11:44 am

Hold on guys. I think genny has worked on delivery, u just need to watch this trailer with attention to detail. I noticed that the trailer did not tell us what went on in this movie. The trailer withdrew the juice from the story so that we will be eager to see n know the true story n that takes us to the cinema. Watch the trailer again, I am trying so hard to see beyond d trailer but I can only guess. I am waiting for
    Its release date. Thank God the queen is back. Wait a second, she never left.

• Finn

September 29, 2015 at 11:54 am

Totally agree with you. I’m also of the opinion that people wait and see the movie. Might just be you regular Nollywood story (which I doubt) with improved delivery.

18. CB

September 29, 2015 at 11:52 am

See me smiling like goat!! Genny has my mumu button!!
    I don’t care if she’s type-casted…it is what it is….it’s not her fault…if she dinno act now, they will say she dinno act…anywayz, me I sha like to watch her….I’d watch her even if she made a movie and slept throughout….hehehe 😛

• Frosh

October 1, 2015 at 12:01 am

Me, my own happiness be say Zamani College Kaduna, Class of 2002 is just producing superstars getting featured on bella naija. Ishaya Bako was my seat mate! So proud of you Ishaya and every other person, Making Mrs Mo hella proud!
      BNers when my own feature comes up, remember I said it! Hehehe!! ????Great job, hopefully great movie, big ups Ishaya and the rest of the crew.

Ps
      To all of yall comparing Genny to Ivie now is not the time okay, don’t hate.. APPRECIATE!!

19. nnenne

September 29, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Different people, different strokes.
    I love the trailer. It would be nice to watch the movie.

20. xplorenollywood.com

September 29, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I think i will just keep my fingers crossed and wait till November!

For more reviews on nollywood moviews, visit xplorenollywood.com

21. me2me

September 29, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I have not seen the trailer, and will not see it. This movie will disappoint most of us.

Genny, as so may have written, you need to act a different role. Mirror boy was crap, weekend getaway.. crap, and I am certain this will be same. I know you are the Executive producer for this movie, hence techniques will be on point in terms of set, props, picture and audio but your acting will be the same.

Challenge yourself, leave the glamour roles for a while.

22. Puzzles

September 29, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Genny, please i beg you! Don’t disappoint me as you did in Weekend Getaway o. I mean it!

23. titolu

September 29, 2015 at 1:05 pm

lmaooooooo
    @ CB, u something else mehn!!! lwkmd

24. neeka

September 29, 2015 at 3:10 pm

at 1st i thought Beyonce’s voice was used!!!! Genny must have been practicing with beyonce voice tapes or something

25. David Nwachukwu

September 29, 2015 at 3:36 pm

The screaming scenes. Yessss Genny! Fingers crossed that Best Actress (Drama) AMVCA is yours. Is the initial premise a teeny bit cliche? Probably. BUT. That doesn’t mean it’s not worth watching. The performances at a glance are enough to keep me interested. Bring on the trailer.

26. SS

September 29, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Overrated genny,go ask funky akindele,mercy Johnson

27. Mostest

September 29, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Before seeing the trailer I knew a phune speaking part will come up. She has said she will only do international productions. At this level Genevieve hasn’t produced one movie, has done nothing to improve the industry, just endorsing Amstel Malta that makes people fat according to her

28. Bowl

September 29, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Make una stay there dey rant nonsense. Genny is da bomb. I completely agree with CB!

29. Natu

September 29, 2015 at 5:20 pm

I guess she is great for nigerian standards lol

• ATL's finest

September 29, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Ermm @ Natu what do U mean by “Nigerian Standard”? She paved way for so my actors/actress in your Country that’s if y’all got any. U’re not a Nigerian but U sleep and yawn on this site & talk smack. Nothing like Nigerian standard. She’s bn in it for decades so give her some credit. U may not like the trailer that’s fine.. insult her Country as well. P.S. ain’t no fan of Genny but I appreciate work well done by others.

• ATL's finest

September 29, 2015 at 7:16 pm

*many*

• Glo

September 30, 2015 at 11:59 am

Taaa…..#gerrarahere…..no wonder many Nigerian actors are mediocre in their acting..

30. Mabel

September 29, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Love me some Genny. Glad to see her back in the game. This looks like a mature movie for the grownups.

31. aikay

September 29, 2015 at 7:50 pm

I wonder where the comparison btw Genny the dark goddess and that tomboy Ivie Okujaiye is coming frm. Pls they are miles apart abeg, whether for acting, beauty, delivery etc My dear Genny is the undisputed nollywood bey and still remains so, so even if she slept all through the movie, it will still break box office record cos she is a megastar with a gigantic fan base. Abeg you all haters should go and rest cos you are fighting a lost battle.

• Tari

September 29, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Taaaa!! comot here!
      Which Genevive act pass Ivie?
      Na people like una make only fair and fine girls full Nollywood with no atom of talent in them.
      Ivie is miles better than Genevive as an actor. She ca nact almost any sort of role and pull it off.
      Your Genevive is stiff, devoid of emotions on screen and has average delivery.
      What has Ivie’s tomboyish attitude got to do with it?
      We are talking of acting not beauty pageant.

32. Natu

September 29, 2015 at 9:08 pm

@ATL you know what I mean and I am not taking it back!!! How did insult your country? I only stated the obvious fact. Y’all love to celebrate mediocrity. Can you compare her with the likes of Angelina Jolie, meryl streep, Viola Davis and Ann hathaway just to name a few? Girl buy!!! I know you are patriotic but call a thing a thing!!!

Ps. I don’t sleep on bella naija.

• Busarni

September 29, 2015 at 10:54 pm

@natu or whatever you call yourself . Is it that in your country , there are no blogs. Yes, you sleep on BN and at any chance your insult us. Go and get a life and choke on your food. She is our Angelina Jolie and we like iT that way.
      I just feel like spitting on your triangular face; that thing on your head is it your HAIR.? You are an ovoko

• Natu

September 30, 2015 at 7:53 pm

@Busarni I have a life and it is a splendid one!!! Whacksauce!!!

• ATL's finest

September 29, 2015 at 11:52 pm

Girl Bye & dust OFF !!! Look at the names U are calling mtchewww well Genny is our own Jolie & co. Who’s your own Angelina Jolie? Or should I say where’s your own Angelina Jolie from your Country??? I’m not the one so pls don’t come for me or else I sent for U.. Go find someone else who will go back & fort with U like U always do and U BEST BELIEVE u sleep & yawn up here…

• Natu

September 30, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Lol @:your own Angelina Jolie. Bloody joker!!! She ain’t even on Gabrielle union’a level. Keep fooling yourselves . Birds of a feather flock together!!! Bunch of mediocres!!!

• kween

September 30, 2015 at 11:02 am

@natu u sure do and dats y u replied,lol. .she might not have improved on her acting but she is one of those actors that made african movies to be recognised

• Frosh

October 1, 2015 at 12:14 am

Girl buy???!!!!!! !

Kwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti I laugh in yoruba. Girl buy What?!!!

I wan talk, I wan talk, all up in here talking shiiii

Gurrrrl BYE!! ????????

• ATL's finest

October 2, 2015 at 4:19 am

@ Frosh lmao! Abeg make we laugh in Yoruba jare it’s allowed… Exactly my thoughts too.. @ Natu that’s why we said U are JOBLESS.. U’re back replying everyone.. U ain’t got no Shame.. If I were to be U, I wouldn’t be back on this site. I’m yet to view/read a line from your Country’s site.. Mtchew OLOSHI

33. Tot

September 29, 2015 at 9:21 pm

So says the girl commenting on a Nigerian blog!
    You are such a joker Natu, you better spend more time working on your “product line” rather than yearning dust on bellanaija.

• ATL's finest

September 29, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Thank U @ Tot who is she fooling? I don’t have time for internet foolishness… I don’t think there’s any article on BN including Ashoebi Volume that she doesn’t comment on. Sometimes, she’s got all the time in d whole wide world to reply everyone & everything but, she’s here talking foolishly that’s she doesn’t spend time on BN.. I can’t deal with Jokers like her.

• bukky

September 30, 2015 at 1:10 am

@ Tot LOL, I know. She is indeed a joker!

@ Natu: thanks for gracing a Nigerian blog, and celebrating our mediocrity with us!

• Natu

September 30, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Don’t worry about my product line. Home girl was born blessed!!

34. Tot

September 29, 2015 at 9:21 pm

*yarning

35. ATL's finest

September 30, 2015 at 8:07 am

Haha @ Busarni U killed me with “triangular head” I Don die.. She’s just one sorry pathetic person. Talking of Angelina Jolie she’s one of d most richest, most dressed & well known in Hollywood/d world. However, she’s NOT d most beautiful lady Natu be clear on that.. I know if Genny is privileged to be in Hollywood, she will rise & shine just like Lupita did. Abeg make I no waste Grammar for person like Natu wey b say na Swahili dem sabi no b English..

36. Dami

September 30, 2015 at 9:33 am

The trailer doesn’t do justice to the movie, i am a movie producer and i can tell you how difficult it is to summarize a feature length movie and come out with a nice trailer, some quack movies have very nice trailers and some nice movies have quack trailers. The producers should have put a teaser out before the trailer, so we can get a feel of the movie, if i was the producer, i would still put a nice teaser out before the release date.

Well done Genevieve, will go to the cinema to see this one.

37. kween

September 30, 2015 at 10:49 am

i am team jenny anytime and anyday but i agree with you. she needs to add power to her acting n she shouldnt be over selective in her roles

38. Oke

September 30, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I’m happy most people here share my exact sentiments about Genny. She’s has become so stereotype in her acting and even roles . I remember as a kid I used to love her movies but now I’m just no longer interested. A good actor is one who can deliver on any given role whether classy, local, druggy, market woman etc she’s so stuck on her sophisticated roles and it wunt take her far at all… She’ll keep being our 9ja local champion she should learn from Lupita and even her colleague Rita.

39. LOVE

September 30, 2015 at 4:03 pm

U PPL SHOULD STAY HERE WHILE I WATCH LOHAM, LAALI AND SHEKAUR ON ZEE WORLD AT LEAST THE OLD GUNGI MAKES ME LAF LIKE RANVIJAY HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.