Scoop

“If I’m Not Making Money, I Wouldn’t Be Here” Rukky Sanda Talks Surviving in Nollywood, Style & More

Rukky - BN.02

Nollywood actress Rukky Sanda has been very busy in the past couple of weeks.

From celebrating her birthday to premiering her latest movie ‘Dark, the 31-year-old actress has quite a lot to talk about.

She had a chat Sun Newspaper recently and she talks about her past decade in the movie industry, making money, her style, what she’s looking for in a man and so much more.

Read excerpts below.

On ‘Dark’: I was actually writing Walls Within, a romantic comedy and all of a sudden my creative juices dried up. I think I was in my room and it was dark. I think that was how I came up with the title. When I finished writing, I could barely see what I’d written because I was just scribbling everywhere. It took me about another whole day to try and figure out my own handwriting. Dark is something different. It’s actually not your regular Nollywood movie; it’s a thriller.

On becoming a producer: It was a business decision because at that time, actresses were not well paid. I decided to go into production because I’d always been a business person. I think I was one of the first actresses who produced her own films in Nollywood. I made my debut in 2004 and produced my first movie in 2005. 10 years have rolled by ever since. I was already doing business when I got into Nollywood. I mean, I used to sell stuff so I had my own cash. And obviously mom supported me with a loan which I later paid back. Starting out I wouldn’t say was easy because as at 2005, N3 million was a lot of money. I’ m my executive producer. It’s not like I don’t believe in executive producer hunting but it is just not my thing.

On her debut movie: Some people are still owing me money for my first movie. In fact, one is still owing me N.8 million. He’s a fel­low producer I gave my master copy. He was supposed to drop it off somewhere but he dubbed it behind my back and started selling it to television stations. By the time I took the movie out, everywhere I went people said they already had it. To this day, he’s not been able to come up with the money.

On making money: Yes of course; if I’m not making money I wouldn’t be here. It’s been a blessing and an amazing experience, a mixed grill to be precise. We’ve had serious issues with piracy and all of that stuff this year. I actually said ‘Rukky, you’re not doing movies anymore!’ And then I started focusing on my interior design business. But the truth is that at the end of the day, I have scripts I have written which I want to produce. It’s fun anyway but I don’t think I could ever quit producing movies; I love it though it’s stressful.

On her style: It just means expressing yourself the way you want and being comfortable in your own skin; it’s all about being com­fortable and happy with yourself.

Read more from her interview here.

Photo Credit: @rukkysanda (Instagram)

1. Busarni

September 11, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Rukiyat; you know where you are making money from. Definitely not the movies, hmm. Enjoy.

• Manny

September 11, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Creative juices? Rukky and Vic O have the same supplier.

2. beauty

September 11, 2015 at 12:47 pm

All I see is her hair and well drawn eyebrows… I still don’t like her acting, fullstop.

3. thechic

September 11, 2015 at 12:57 pm

bellanaija,if you didn’t add this girl’s name,i probably wouldn’t have noticed it was her.
    damn! skin whiteners are working magic for some people!

4. oyindee

September 11, 2015 at 1:03 pm

This lady keeps trying too hard to get attention,Rukaya*in deep Yoruba voice*we all know that your calling is not acting please find it and harness it,all the best

5. snitch.101

September 11, 2015 at 1:11 pm

rukky in as much as i want to agree on “im making money and is with that money i get to buy designer stuff and afford the champaign living, i beg to differ” bella naija please post this! you know me but i choose to be anonymous. you have a sponsor/ caretaker/caregiver which ever. although i know you produce movies or act movies but please stop with the pretence. you and i know is not from that movie your producing or acting that you get to afford att that champaign living. Almost half of nija babes have their small business but on the flip side sleep for money. that way you people will think their one of those real babes who work hard without sleeping for money. dont bother looking for who is snitching on you but a hint, you know me!!! i dont have issues with women sleeping for money or whatever but my issue is pretending that is hard-work and your sweat that is affording this lifestyle. many young girls who are working hard without sleeping for money or without any caretaker,sponsor infact sleeping with politician will think they are doing something wrong or maybe God has forsaken them not knowing that these women who keep blabbing “keep working hard and believing in God, youll make it” of course you will but rukky is that what your truly doing; working hard and believing in God. of course you know that i know theres someone sponsoring that champaign lifestyle. just for security reason theres no need telling who hey/they are!!!!
    so ladies, the reason why i decided to write this is to inspire those who are truly working hard to continue and for your sanity sake stop comparing yourselves with people who have a sponsor, caretake, caregiver meaning most nija women who dates and sleep with older men who that lifestyle. please! i decided to make these my business because i know a lot of women out there who keep comparing themselves especially those who compare themselves to that champaign lifestyle. i just had to….

6. snitch.101

September 11, 2015 at 1:22 pm

i just had to share this. it is coming from a reliable source! if you know you have a sponsor please refrain from using God and hardwork as a cover up. just shut your mouth and keep sleeping for that money. that way no one will come after you. how many movies have you produced or acted in that is helping you afford your champaign living. i know a lot of nija celebrity that sleep for money, not to mention adaobi, yes i said it oh!!!! i called her name. im coming after all you girls/women who keep preaching nonsense but on the flip side they exchange sex for champaign living. i see all of you girls. rukky please stop preaching, theres no need to until i know for a fact you dont “do the do” then i will take back my word but as for now you know that i know it isnt your movies, even a blind man can tell… im sorry but i had to share it!! bella please for young girls sake post my comment.

• Tomi

September 11, 2015 at 3:10 pm

It’s Champagne tho. LMAO

• Truthwillsetudree

September 12, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Lying is second nature to Nigerians. The entertainment industry is corrupt everywhere. Men and women sleeping with producers, directors, high actors in Hollywood is not news anymore. Now, nigerian actresses from Genevieve Nnaji(our Nollywood darling) to Rukky, and many more are all known in the industry for been mistresses to high governors, ex Vice Presidents to many rich men. Some just do classy whore and others are trashy with theirs. You wonder why many of these people don’t respect their colleagues bcos they know their dirty secrets. They know all they do is pretend for the outside.

7. snitch.101

September 11, 2015 at 1:47 pm

whats wrong with you bellanaija, why didnt you post the first comment, the one you posted was the continuation. you guys are slowly getting on my nerve, after taking out time to educate women plus snitching you guys decided not to post it!!!! mshew!

8. snitch.101

September 11, 2015 at 2:04 pm

honestly i intend to have my blog and is all going to focus on snitching on Nija babes!!!
    i dont care if your a high class nija celebrities or normal nija babe who might be famously known or not and if i mistakenly know your business.. ill snitch.
    between shout out to those young girls and the likes of ……. who are dating the ex governor; Godswill Obot Akpabio and many other governor!! between lynxx made a lot of sense, i decided to snitch this morning because ” I CAN” i mistakenly went on bella naija which i rarely do and i was gingered oh! chai!!… and not to mention this will help bella naija on the flip side! everybody likes controversy, ehhhh!!!
    im a male and yes men snitch too…
    my hands are itchy but lets stop here!!!
    your welcome bellanaija!!!

• jay

September 11, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Girl, u don’t have work. I swr

• Stop praising the wrong ones

September 11, 2015 at 8:17 pm

I understand what you mean but sometimes calling out these fake celebrities is good. Lots of young folks look up to them and call them role models. If they really know what they do behind the scenes and in dark they will know better and praise the real, good and hardworking ones. The ones that is taking them time to get to the top because they are working their way up with their self respect and dignity. Not just the ladies, the guys too. Most of these OAPs and actors are not fit and not supposed to be on our screens. All these guys we drool over, have crush on are nothing to write home about. These guys do terrible and mouth opening things to make it to the top. Then they go on Facebook, IG, Twitter and in front of the camera deceiving us with fine face with their suits and tie forming innocent and guess what? We praise them.

The only movie I think I saw her act in was in Jenifa and she was horrible. So tell me what real producer will want to feature her in a movie when they don’t want to waste money. She suddenly become a producer because to me no one will feature her in a movie and then she has the money and connections. I respect her hustling but please let’s stop praising the wrong one . People called Mercy Johnson local because she acts in all these village girls movies but to me I think she raw talent and one of the best.

• Stop praising the wrong ones

September 11, 2015 at 8:19 pm

I would rather watch Nkem Owoh hunting, Patience Ozokwor and Chinwe Owoh acting a bad MIL, Mr. Ibu dancing to “Shakiti bobo” and Chioma Chukwuka acting a local champion and learning from it than watching all these rubbish produced these days.

• Runzbabe 101

September 11, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Yessssss hunnnnny!!! EXPOSE them….i am all for men & women dat do runz, but dont try to form holy….girl please!!! Smh

Snitch101 – happy friday!!! Can we expect more of ur lipton tea please??

• Tomi

September 11, 2015 at 3:12 pm

You write terribly!

9. ghen ghen

September 11, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Which Adaobi are you referring to?
    The banker or the insurance director?
    Don’t throw people’s names about without proof.

10. Tari

September 11, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Enough of all these crap stories.
    Nolywood does not pay much. It is glamour with very limited earnings. Only gullible people listen to these stories.
    Besides, why is it only the females in the industry that God is blessing?
    The guys are just leaving normal lives with normal earnings.
    Is God of hard work sexist?
    Just concentrate on your caregivers and leave God out of it.
    Last time I checked, Caregiving is not against the laws of the country.
    Wetin she act sef?
    After paying silverbird and Genesis, how much remain from cinema takings?
    Who dey buy dvd again sef?
    Make una leave us with all these formings.

11. snitch.101

September 11, 2015 at 3:12 pm

dnt worry the adaobi im talking about knows herself…
    i wish i could share but bella naija decided not to share the first comment i stated it all about rukky!!

12. SallyAnn

September 11, 2015 at 3:19 pm

“My creative Juices Dried up…”

Indeed Rukky – you are the worst movie producer in the whole universe. You rmovies suck big time. Only illiterate fools will watch your moives and thing its good. Worse of all you cant act and always have the audacity to act in your movies.

You think we dont know that yall fcuk big men to get to get money to produce movies. You think we dont know? yes that is what most of you do, You fk rich men for them to fund your movies and its no secret.

13. Lol

September 11, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Lol when people can see your bullshit loud and clear.

14. new bride

September 11, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Problem dey o!

You made your acting debut in 2004 and a year later you were already producing. No wonder you’re such a bad actress and an even worse producer!

How about you spend time honing your craft to make sure you’re a SOLID actress before jumping something even more technical like production.

Anyways, since you claim to be making money from your film business, more grease to your elbows.

15. Ose

September 11, 2015 at 7:39 pm

@ snitch.101 pls go to stella blog and spill. We dey wait for you there……..

16. Rt

September 11, 2015 at 8:43 pm

She is one of those girls Lynxx was talking about on that talk show….Girl most people knows your source of income.So park well jor.

17. Girlbeingreal

September 11, 2015 at 8:50 pm

“creative juices” you wish!. Please gurl!. Yea maybe juices flowed but they sure weren’t creative

18. Amh

September 11, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Hideous actress. Useless movies. Monalisa chinda. Ini ido.some new ones with german cantonese accent. Tonto dike and co hideous. Gone are the days of euchara. Rmd. Gloria edozien. And co. Even the babalawo in the village has chinese accents. You suck madam .your films sucks too.

19. hilda

September 12, 2015 at 12:47 pm

@ snitch.101 pls go to stella blog and spill joooooooooooooo…oh how i miss wendy show, cant wait for next season btw we need our own Nigerian Wendy who will say it as it is. and says it like she means it.

20. ogbenituks

September 12, 2015 at 5:40 pm

why all the hate sha shes making her money whilst you guys are hating congrat ride on jare

21. Bella

September 14, 2015 at 10:43 am

There is no hate, but don’t come here and say God this and God that when you know fully well you are a mistress or have a care taker or giver or whatever they call them. Own your ish abeg, we no dey tire for dis kin talk when y’all are plain and simply -!!