Career

Nairalogue with Ifeoma Adeoye: Born with a Silver Spoon or Not? Just Do It!

The great thing about wealth and success is that it is open to EVERYONE who dares to take it. The fact that you were born into wealth or your great grandfather was the ruler of the seven kingdoms does not guarantee that you will be wealthy in your time. Some of the wealthy people we hear about today came from average households. Their parents and grandparents were regular people like you and I. These individuals dared to dream and were hungry enough to fight to achieve that dream and the result as we have it today is that their names are on endless Forbes lists.
Let me give you a few examples
Michael Ade-Ojo worked at RT Briscoe as a freelance car sales man. Today he is the owner of Elizade Nigeria Limited.
Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede was an employee at GTB before he launched his own bank.

Oprah Winfrey turned a life of hardship into inspiration for a multi-billion-dollar empire. She is worth $2.7bn.

Guy Laliberté ate fire on the streets before introducing Cirque du Soleil to the world. Today, he is the CEO of Cirque, a professional poker player and space tourist, with a total worth of $2.5bn.

Leonardo Del Vecchio was an orphaned factory worker whose eyeglasses empire today produces Ray Bans and Oakleys. His estimated net worth is now above $10bn.

Ingvar Kamprad was born in a small village in Sweden and he lived the farm life growing up. He created a mail-order business that became IKEA and his net worth is $6bn.

J.K. Rowling lived on welfare before creating the Harry Potter franchise. She is worth $1bn.

Before Sam Walton founded WalMart, he milked cows and sold magazines in Oklahoma.

Whether you were born with a silver spoon, bronze spoon or no spoon at all, your destiny and ability to become wealthy is in your hands. Create a vision for your future, work hard at it, be persistent, have faith and your effort will eventually pay off. Only YOU can determine whether or not your footprint will be left in the sands of time and whether or not your name will go up in lights!

Start saving and start investing. Take the first step towards turning your idea into an actual business today. Take calculated risks and take a chance on that idea that you are thinking about. Evolution is a key aspect of investing and building a business.

The more you invest, the more savvy you will become at it. Dangote did not begin his entrepreneurial journey with a sugar refinery or with the largest cement plant in Sub-Saharan Africa. Mike Adenuga did not begin his journey with a GSM license. Bill Gates did not start out with Microsoft and Steve Jobs did not begin with the iPhone. Start now and give yourself the opportunity to learn, make mistakes, grow and evolve. If you do not start, you will never know.

Let’s remember to start now, start small – Just do it

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Sam74100

Ifeoma Adeoye is an entrepreneur and a business consultant. She is keen on social and charitable causes and spends a considerable amount of her time establishing and providing business advisory services to startup businesses in Africa. She is a motivational speaker and is passionate about motivating people to be innovative, entrepreneurial, financially savvy and independent. She loves all things related to making money legitimately and believes that we should all strive to have lots of it. You can contact her via email at [email protected] and on Instagram & twitter @nairalogue

1. ajikoko

September 12, 2015 at 10:08 am

Thank you….im inspired.

2. shayomaster

September 12, 2015 at 10:21 am

Get your facts before posting pls. Aigboje’s dad was a governor in the Old Bendel state, his mum is from a super rich family and he married from the popular Oputa family, his mother-in-law being the former Chairman of BOI.

• Babym

September 12, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Aproko! That does not negate the point of the article now, so in everyyyything she wrote that is what u cld pick up on????????? Mscheew

• G

September 12, 2015 at 12:52 pm

“Some of the wealthy people we hear about today came from average households”
      The word “some” gives room for her example to stretch influential or non influential background.

Any way all of these rich people it’s another rich person who gave them a chance. No one is self made.

3. Clifford

September 12, 2015 at 11:03 am

Tnks dear writer, i needed to hear this and it couldn’t have come in a better time

4. Tosin

September 12, 2015 at 11:03 am

The writer really meant to inspire people today, didn’t she? 🙂 Inspiring stuff.

Re: small-business advisory – what should happen in Nigeria/Africa to make small businesses become cleverer and bigger businesses? the great thing is there are so many pockets of effort to support small businesses of various kinds. i sense an opportunity to go bigger…? ?

5. Babym

September 12, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Brilliant article! Im soo inspired

6. The girl who pulls catapult strings

September 12, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Thanks my dear!
    Been stressed the Fuck out from last week!

7. ElessarisEllendil

September 12, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I’m disturbed by the lack of Shia Lebeouf, in this article. If you have no idea what I’m talking about google him and “just do it”. Thank me later.

Let me also be a Debby-Downer and say that for every .5 rags to riches story they are 1.5 middle class to riches stories 8 Riches to even more riches stories. But like OP said JUST DO IT!!!!!

8. This guy.

September 12, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Brilliant Article. I have been thinking of starting my own small business on the side then nurturing it before I eventually resign and take it up fully but then again I’m also on the verge of writing professional exams, Ican to be precise because I work in the finance dept atm. So my question is, since I am planning on doing business later in the not too distant future do I still need to pursue the ICAN stuff? Cos I could use that money to add to my investment into the business. Pls advice me. Thanks.

• Author Unknown

September 12, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Question for you. Are you writing your ICAN exams only because you work in the department that you do, or because you want to be a chartered accountant? If you got sacked by that company today, or found a ‘better’ job in a different industry, would you switch? I think somewhere there is where your answer lies.

• This guy

September 20, 2015 at 8:50 am

I did finance In school as an undergraduate but right now, as you said I am very open to working in another department/industry.

9. Author Unknown

September 12, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Making ‘a lot of money’ should not be the focus. Many of the wealthy in your article didn’t set out to make money. They did what they loved with passion and ended up creating major wealth. In some cases, such as Bill Gates (who by the way if from a fairly well to do background) what made him wealthy was not even known or popular at the time. My point is that you can make money from pretty much doing anything. Many of Nigeria’s super rich are however difficult to emulate because they mostly got their fortune through some (corrupt) government patronage or the other, and not from being imaginative or plain hardworking or anything like that.

While we’re at it, let’s not forget that life isn’t all about money money money.

• agree with some parts

September 12, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I like this article I do but, I also feel its somewhat simplistic as someone mentioned passion is generally the drive and a sheer want to succeed but that still entails becoming a master at what you’re doing, working for money is generally not the key to riches . And I have to agree a little, although i don’t know as fact but I do have personal experience from people I know that government patronage as a start can make the biggest difference between succeeding or not as author unknown mention.
      The key point here is just do it and the article is right, no matter what your background their is no guarantee for success at least not on the first try.

Good luck to everyone going for something they love and believe in, God bless your hustle. Don’t be afraid to fail and know your stuff. And don’t think being mediocre is ok, most people see right through it.

• molarah

September 15, 2015 at 12:02 am

I think you miss the point when you stress that rich Nigerians became so through govt or corrupt means. First of all, do you realise that several individuals get contracts (bloated or otherwise) from the govt? How come not all of them become stinking, world-famous billionaires then? Think about it. And let’s face, even though you might hate the guts of Nigeria’s rich, they didn’t get to where they are by sheer luck. None of them did. Trace their back stories and you will see the recurrent themes of grit, determination, diligence, innovation and entrepreneurship. So the author makes a very valid point.

10. MC

September 12, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Funny that Ikea started out as a mail-order business….can hardly get any products on line, must go into a store.

11. ogbenituks

September 12, 2015 at 5:44 pm

@shayomaster your missing the point whether rich family or not the moral is believe in your dreams and create shit for yourself

12. INSPIRED

September 14, 2015 at 4:16 pm

I WAS INSPIRED, IT MADE ME REFLECT ON THOSE LITTLE BUSINESS IDEAS STUCK ON IN MY HEAD…THIS LIFE IS VERY SIMPLE, YOU PICK OUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU AND LEAVE THE REST!

13. Divaclan

September 14, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Inspiring? Yes, but building wealth is not easy o, You will almost die before you achieve it.

14. Following My Passsions

September 15, 2015 at 12:04 am

Great Article, I’m loving the work young female entrepreneurs are doing this days. People like Funto Oni & Tuke Morgan inspire me greatly. Hopefully one day my name will be mentioned on lists like this as someone who is successful

• Tosin