News

Not Your Typical Nigerian Wedding! Sixty Seconds. 8 Guests. No Rings.

Beachwedding1

We came across this interesting story on weddinginnigeria.com this morning, and we just had to share.

Many Nigerian weddings are really fancy and elaborate, taking months and even years to plan.

Ronke and Lawson broke this norm by having a quick wedding with only eight guests in attendance, and no wedding rings.

Beach Wedding2This is how it went down, according to the report:

…these two crazy people fell in love, decided to get married without the usual pomp and pageantry associated with weddings in Nigeria.

The event held at a beach in Lagos on a warm Sunday afternoon and there were only 8 people in attendance (the photographer) included.

They exchanged their vows (very apt ones if you ask me) and also exchanged totems (not wedding rings).

His totem for her was a Golden Neck piece!

And her token for him was a pair of socks (he disliked them prior to the wedding and he didn’t have any on as the officiant helped her put them on him).

The event was over in minutes and they were ‘husband and wife’.

Now they are happily married yet their purses didn’t bleed much in the process.

Visit weddinginnigeria.com for more photos and scoop on this unique wedding.

***

Sounds like it was a fun wedding! BellaNaijarians would you have a similar intimate wedding?

Photo Credit: weddinginnigeria.com/Sphinx Photography

1. Ada

September 17, 2015 at 11:19 am

To each his own… for me o, weddings are serious business and that serious business must include church, altar, family, friends and RINGS! Might not be elaborate but all these factors must be present!

• ola

September 17, 2015 at 11:33 am

and those are the factors that keeps marriage from breaking abi?

• Ada

September 17, 2015 at 1:01 pm

My dear na my own I talk. Wetin I consider very important na im I include. Now if you want yours without witnesses or even without a Pastor or Justice of Peace, just so that you can break the norm, that one concern you! Will your marriage last? That one concern you and your husband!

• anu

September 17, 2015 at 5:34 pm

READ WELL. she didn’t say those factors will make her marriage last!!!! smh.

• Omotee

September 18, 2015 at 1:27 am

So as dem do am simply like this, na break proof ko?

• Anon2

September 18, 2015 at 10:23 am

Don’t be too quick to criticize. Read well and have a better comprehension!!.

• E.A

September 17, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Funny about your comment you failed to include your traditional marriage, you know the one before we got introduced to churches altar and rings. Personally I think many Nigerian weddings is just a way to show your wealth, Happy for the couple each to their own

• Ada

September 17, 2015 at 12:59 pm

That one na standard!

• realist

September 18, 2015 at 10:29 am

Thank you o jare Ada..I am totally with you on this..oga abi madam E.A..your are supposed to know that the traditional rite is inevitable! #phew..people like picking on little faults..

By the way not everyone t hat wants to get married in Naija does it as a show of wealth, and talking about show of wealth by way of weddings..Naija is still learning when compared to the westerners/Europeans. Having a wedding ceremony is just a way of inviting friends and family to come rejoice with you and share in your joy, and I don’t see what is wrong in doing that. If i have to have a wedding, I will go all the way just like Ada has said!

2. Tiki

September 17, 2015 at 11:21 am

Yes please! Well I wouldn’t quite have it this simple, but I definitely don’t want the usual crowd of gawkers. I think the time when I invite God into my official relationship whould be a solemn one, so my ideal will be – 50 guests (including family, pastor, photog, bride&groom, etc), bare feet, a beach somewhere, a few fresh flowers, and after that a nice seafood lunch and drinks by the pool. Should be over by 4pm so hubby and I have time to rest, and prepare for wedding night! *wink wink*

I’ve got to have a ring though. Doesn’t have to be big or expensive, but has to have a story.

• Tiki

September 17, 2015 at 11:22 am

gosh, my tenses are all mixed up! Let the weekend get here already abeg…

• larz

September 17, 2015 at 12:07 pm

I had the same plan with 20 people in mind. I ended up with 32 people (not bad). However, my wedding night got ruined the continuous pain from faux locks. I am not going to lie I cursed the woman (and whoever invented faux locks) that did the hair small for ruining my wedding night. The pain was there for 10 days (yes I was counting). I ended up having “manageable” sex the day after. Manageable because there is nothing like pain in your head taking off the edge off what should have been perfect orgasmic sex. We made up for it eventually.

• somtoo

September 17, 2015 at 2:34 pm

please, i need more details on this your wedding. i want something small too. 30 guests + couple=32. Will appreciate a response. For hair, will just pack the entire thing up and add extensions for a longer ponytail.
      With that one sorted, search to find the right groom has intensified.

• VeryMale

September 17, 2015 at 3:35 pm

oh so women are now looking for small weddings….praiz da lawwd!

• Licious

September 19, 2015 at 4:51 pm

How did you manage to pull this through? very much interested. Please help someone out here

3. that zedchick

September 17, 2015 at 11:22 am

no ways, i don’t want a fancy huge wedding but I would never do what they did. Happy for them though..

4. ADA

September 17, 2015 at 11:27 am

when i have eaten others rice and chicken,why wont they eat mine?HELL NO!!am not greedy biko!!!

• ATL's finest

September 17, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Lmao @ U are cracking me up with your comments and u sound like me AMEN . I’m always there for people.. I bought asheobi sotay I tire, I spent my 2015 mostly on the ✈ mostly for weddings. Baba God as I have gathered and celebrate ed with people, they all shall do the same for me IJN AMENNNNN.

5. chika d

September 17, 2015 at 11:28 am

my kind of wedding,but mine will invlove very close friends,very close family members and of course rings…i love intimate weddings to a fault..but i doubt a catholic priest will agree to this arrangment????

• Mary-Anne

September 17, 2015 at 11:58 am

Actually, all you need for a Catholic wedding is bride, groom (who are there of their free will), Holy Communion, priest and witnesses. All the other things are jara. You can share biscuits after the Mass if you like and go your way.

6. meelikey

September 17, 2015 at 11:32 am

I luv,luv,luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

7. jeizyp

September 17, 2015 at 11:39 am

Errr… Everyone with their choice, i really cant agree to this kinda wedding sha

8. Fissy

September 17, 2015 at 11:42 am

i like it but me I want to wear wedding dress and asooke and carry flowa. No vex. But to each his own

9. Similicious

September 17, 2015 at 11:49 am

Cute but sounds a lot like eloping to me…

• iyke

September 17, 2015 at 12:15 pm

@similicious
      Yes you may be right – and that’s what makes it more exciting. It takes courage to do this and only those who know themselves do stuffs like this.
      Crazy but so cool – My kinda style.
      who get time for 10 kegs of palm wine and 50 tubers of Yam for Ndi Ogo and Mazi Okeke?

• Diuto

September 17, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Iyke i know Mz Socially Awkward won’t agree and even if she does her mum and u manna would definitely show up. Lol!

• Diuto

September 17, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Iyke i know Mz Socially Awkward won’t agree and even if she does her mum and her umunna would definitely show up. Lol!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 17, 2015 at 11:30 pm

@duito, actually… I’ve always wanted to elope (& Iyke, you can breathe, this no be online “green light” on top our on-again, off-again BN luv’n… ?)

Joked repeatedly to my friends that it’ll only be me, the groom, both sets of parents and a man of the cloth on a beach somewhere to seal the deal. And then the unexpected happened when a dear friend thrust me into the role of co-planning her wedding. I tell you, the joy of putting all the little details together that’ll help the couple have a fantastic day has been so exhilarating and there’s so much that goes into the big day that you want to share with close friends and family members.

So, the plan has changed because I can’t put my heart into creating all these memories just for 5 people to enjoy.? My friend’s having what some will call a small wedding at 100 guests but that’s still at least 50guests too much for me. However, the plan has definitely changed….

Wishing the couple in this post a life contentedly spent together in fulfilment of God’s promises for marriage.

And I should sleep, time for the hard work to pay off as the A&T wedding union is going down tomorrow!!! Yes indeed, the party into the weekend starts here, lovelies!! ???

10. Victor

September 17, 2015 at 11:51 am

I had mine with 12 people from both sides. wedding Engagement, Introduction and reception all in one day and resumed back to work the following Monday.

That was 8years ago and still counting. its your life and my family still wonder how the marriage still hold. Crazy expectation when most people are involved and that is why you see issues right from marriage preparation and couple burning out right after the wedding night.

BE WISEEEEE

11. Ada Ada by flavour!

September 17, 2015 at 11:59 am

I want a black dress, white tulips and loose braids as well as Cartier love rings!
    No owambe. Just my family & his!

• chuckleberry

September 17, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Lmao…….this your imagination seems like something out of a Marie Claire magazine. Tah…… come back to naija reality . Muah !!

• realist

September 18, 2015 at 10:47 am

Hahaha..picturing it in my head..exactly what I thoput too ..something from a Mgazine shoot..lol.

12. Taiwo

September 17, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Mcheew.. They obviously do not know and understand what Marriage is… Let’s wait to see how Long this will last

• Busarni

September 17, 2015 at 12:59 pm

@Taiwo; MUMU yourself !!!! So, the longevity of a marriage is directly proportional the number of persons that attend? Mtscheeeeew, receive sense in Oluwa’s name.

• Iris

September 17, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Why are you unbright like this though? How does this affect the length of marriage? Or you don’t know the difference between a wedding and a marriage?

• Idomagirl

September 17, 2015 at 11:01 pm

You honestly think an elaborate ceremony = a long and happy union?

13. E.A

September 17, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Happy for them. always wanted a small marriage like this, but what about the trad, could also do something like this i.e. in the parents living room

14. southerbelle

September 17, 2015 at 12:41 pm

but them for like show their face na so we are sure this is not someone elses husband oh because i dey suspect those witnesses they look like they were hired lol. i over analyse things too much kmt Good luck to them both

• cleo

September 17, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Southernbelle; over analysis oooooooooo!!!!!!!!lol
      But that is point you raised. And there is a chance that it could be true

15. ACE

September 17, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Mmmmmm love part of it. The intimacy, private and few guests I love, also location. But I want a ring abeg, nice dress .

• MuveeGuy

September 17, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Gotta have a ring! The important thing here is that there’s no crowd… the wedding isn’t meant to be for “the public”. Cool location definitely.

16. Amyezra

September 17, 2015 at 12:45 pm

For me no issue for that the important is they love each other,by the way I found a wonderful resource about mini importation business on youtube here youtube.com/watch?v=hCXoGi-1avQ

17. Cookie Lush

September 17, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Most people become so busy planning a wedding, they miss out of planning a marriage. for me, the simpler the better. I ain’t about the fuse and all that crowd & community party. Focusing on my partner with no doubt in my mind about my decision. what matters to me is my happiness afterwards.

18. beauty

September 17, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Naa, I would never do this. Instead would do a small WEDDING if finance is a problem. Which would not be in my case IJN

19. Funmi

September 17, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I got married five years ago. I wish I knew what I know now. It cost us about N5million. Today I have a wedding dress that cost £900 collecting dust in the garage. If I could redo it I will choose to go the registry on a Friday afternoon, then have a pastor bless our union in the evening before only chosen family and friends of not more than 50 people followed by an elaborate dinner and party.

• Miss K

September 17, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Have you thought of giving out the dress to someone you feel would need it? My SIL gave hers to her younger sis and I know a few people who also gave theirs out.

• MuveeGuuy

September 18, 2015 at 11:31 am

Cool!

20. Priscy

September 17, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I love this but can’t try this

21. Michael

September 17, 2015 at 1:22 pm

it seems they have trouble with family members. i love the small wedding . but if am marrying someone daughter i have to respect her parents. close family and friends will been around. and i will give her a ring.

22. Yinka

September 17, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Perhaps both of them have been through a lot before and just want to wed in peace!?
    I would rather do this than have people I have never met in my life, family members who hate my family, or ‘friends’ you don’t even talk to be there.
    Reminds me of my bro’s wedding when one ‘family’ member from my father’s side brought a wrapped dirty paint bucket as gift. Thank God someone unwrapped it right there to discover it at the hall before they took it home. The woman was caught on camera. CCTV things.

23. Audrey

September 17, 2015 at 1:47 pm

My kind of wedding! Been dreaming about it for so long. just that mine must include a ring. Congrats to them.

24. J

September 17, 2015 at 1:56 pm

How hurt will the parents be? Even if they want an elaborate do, you can agree to a compromise . Sometimes, not going against the grain of or culture is being selfless and putting your parents’s wishes into consideration. Until I know the reason for this Nigerian Elopement, I will not judge them further.

• bukky

September 17, 2015 at 5:36 pm

How do you know what the couple discussed with their parents?

• Kili

September 17, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Honestly I was sentimental like you . You ll be surprised that the parents that you are considering don’t give a sh*t about you.
      I discussed with my parents ( and I thought theyunderstood and agreed) how I wanted a small wedding, less than 100 as against a destination wedding ( which my partner wanted so badly ) which they agreed to.

Recently got back in from a trip only to find out my father had given out invites to 20 neighbors (gave 30 invites to them both, he gave my mother 5) had invited some more via text message ( his extended family not inclusive ). Let’s do the math. 20 neighbours + 10 invited via text + 30 family members, is that not about 60 already????

It’s so painful. I wish I had gone all selfish. Parents don’t really care, all they want is a big party and show off.
      My friends had a destination wedding in DXB. Wo, it was splendid. No pressure, no strangers, you know those ones that will just come and be staring. Or those one that are just about small chops and fried rice. Irony is they are the ones that will go about spreading news about how the food served at your wedding wasn’t delicious or wasn’t enough.

In fact I’m now of the opinion that anywhere One decides to a have their wedding, if their loved ones really cared, they would turn up.

25. Tru

September 17, 2015 at 2:01 pm

LIKE!!!!

26. Blessedheart

September 17, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I personally wouldn’t have wanted such a small wedding but they did their own thing and it’s cool. I just hope they both did the necessary investigations to avoid stories that touch.

27. Rayva

September 17, 2015 at 2:21 pm

This is my perfect wedding……………if i could make it just the two of us with a ring inclusive, it would make my day.

28. maromec

September 17, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Them for try buy small ring nah

29. Mimi Festus

September 17, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Best wishes to them, allthesame I reckon there’s something dodgy about this wedding.

30. NaijaPikin

September 17, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Bridesandbabies in abuja does resale Tuesdays or is it Thursdays for wedding dresses. You can contact them on IG

31. sarah ajax

September 17, 2015 at 3:52 pm

If u are looking out to achieving an affordable yet chic wedding….we at xclusivebeautypro are here to give u a lasting bridal pampering yet affordable….we will take care of ur makeup, lashes, headgear, nails, bridal hair as well as ur traditional beads…all u need do is add us up on bb 7ff18e65, or chat with us via Whatsapp 08062571084…or give us a call at 07o32166449…….a trial will convince you…..
    We create a business yet friendly environment for all clients…..
    Facebook: xclusivebeautypro duchess sarah ajax
    Instagram: @xclusivebeautypro

32. Lamz

September 17, 2015 at 3:57 pm

cool concept,more like eloping,………….. but i lol in spanglish and all sorts of languages…. even if they are wanted a small wedding …so who exactly has joined them together?. a licenced marriage clerk?. a friend of theirs? GOD?. and what binds them together ?. Rings/Bible ? oh no! gold necklace and socks that will tear overtime and one leg will get missing.. Hilarious…

• Kili

September 17, 2015 at 8:35 pm

They must have gone to a registry. I’m sure they must have, and that’s the most important, to have your relationship bounded by the law. Church o. Traditional o are just feferity. Except of course you want your certificate passed on to the church so that you sign on your “white wedding day”

• adelegirl

September 17, 2015 at 9:42 pm

As a Nigerian, the traditional isn’t just “feferity” as you put it, regardless of the tribe. It is very significant and symbolic. Even for Christians, this traditional handing over of the bride by her parents and payment of the brideprice is recognised. Of course you don’t have to go all out. This can be done in the your parents’ living room and merged with the introduction ceremony which is also an important step in Nigerian marriages.

33. Diuto

September 17, 2015 at 3:58 pm

34. BayBay

September 17, 2015 at 4:16 pm

A little too smal for me but that is what they want anyway. Its the work you put in a marriage and prayers that make it last …….elaborate wedding or small wedding won’t matter if God nor dey inside the marriage or your marry the “wrong” person.

35. chuckleberry

September 17, 2015 at 4:25 pm

36. Similicious

September 17, 2015 at 4:33 pm

The irony of this ‘simple wedding’ is the fact that it’s now on Africa’s biggest wedding site…Honeys if the world was going to know about your simple ceremony,maybe you should have invited your parents too.

37. chuckleberry

September 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Lmao…….this your imagination seems like something out of a Marie Claire magazine. . come back to naija reality . Muah !!

38. Amy

September 17, 2015 at 4:38 pm

marine wedding.

39. irejoy

September 17, 2015 at 4:43 pm

My kind of wedding but wit rings wit jst 50 guests or less sef,,,ve always fancy a small wedding buh my mum wit love for elaborate party is sumtin else,,she can invite d whole world sef for just introduction…have told her my plans alredi and not the type she did for my sis weddin wit so many faces you dnt even know sef..

• Kili

September 17, 2015 at 8:36 pm

My dear stand your ground o. Don’t let them blackmail you emotionally o lol. I know what I’m saying. Lol. Good luck

40. Tosin

September 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm

very cute.
    maybe earlier, a morning on the beach. and maybe a little longer than sixty seconds to get a kiss in. oh and music. because Rufus Wainwright can draw one note for sixty seconds.
    very cute.

41. Tosin

September 17, 2015 at 5:01 pm

i did weafon once in my life – never again. it’s the stupidest thing.
    i saw Kendrick Lamar performing this great set on Colbert’s new show and I could tell his new cornrows were really paining his life. that’s a man o, that works out and has neck muscles and all.
    i hated hair wahala since i was a kid, that stuff is abuse.

larz, pele, sorry.

in other news i’m reading people’s comments like, wow, people like rings sha. why? rings? of all random things.

• adelegirl

September 17, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Hello Tosin, how are you? Hope all is well with you. Do take care.

• Anon2

September 18, 2015 at 10:43 am

Hmmmmmmm..it is well with your soul

• Tosin

September 19, 2015 at 4:05 pm

lol, it was supposed to be a reply to larz.
      it is well, amen.

42. miss Pynk

September 17, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Haba many people have small weddings now. I got married in Zanzibar on a Wednesday with 50 or so guests, my brother got married in Bora bora with zero guests….he did not elope, but told us he only wanted his wife there. Yes we have a Nigerian father who after enough complaining let the issue go. Marriage is between two people and held together by God. All else is story.

pynk360.com

43. Felinda

September 17, 2015 at 5:10 pm

i will have a small quiet intimate wedding just like the most beautiful filthy rich and talented woman called BEYONCE had.She has all the reason to have a gigantic wedding but she didnt – she kept it low key small and intimate and that is exactly what i plan on doing someday cos i truly admired that about her

44. Mama!

September 17, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Even bellanaija agrees that the weddings of nowadays are just fancy! This just shows depth, what matters to them is both of them not the rest of the world. If more people could see life through this point of view, more relationships would mean more. I see too much these days! All shades of fake everywhere.

45. amaka

September 17, 2015 at 5:47 pm

I was telling my friends about this, they thought i was joking
    E go shock them when amaka show work one morning with wedding ring, pictures and cake!

I would prefer my white wedding with just our biological and spiritual parents, our immediate families and really close friends!

All the owanbe can go down at the trad but I just want a quiet, intimate white wedding and honeymoon getaway on Nigerian soil, like is that too much to ask?

I know my mother sha, so na dream i dey dream so! *sigh*

• Dee

September 17, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Amaka, carry on jere. That’s what I did o! In fact only a few people know the day I got legally married. At my civil wedding ceremony, we were just eight including my husband and I.

I just took a vacay from work, traveled outta 9ja with my family and we got married. When I got back to work, I didn’t even have a ring on, I only showed work buddies pictures of the civil ceremony.

But trust Nigerian parents, mums especially, they must do owambe. My mum almost had a panic attack when we told her we were not having a reception after the marriage blessing in church, in fact she literally stopped talking to me about the wedding. After all the emotional roller coaster, I told her to have an elaborate owambe engagement ceremony but I wasn’t going for any other party after the marriage blessing in church.

Anyway, the wedding ceremony is not what determines the longevity or joy of the marriage, just do it as you deem fit. Although, I think having it ‘low=key’ is still the best, there are too many frenemies in this world.

46. Drknite

September 17, 2015 at 7:00 pm

LOL! I could not wait to read the comments on this story. I’m sure half the Nigerian girls had a stroke or mouth dropped to the floor, at the notion that a wedding can be short and simple. SMH

47. Mabel

September 17, 2015 at 7:44 pm

I could do this, but not in that rocky part of the beach, I would have to be on the sandy part. No way in hell am I walking in heels or taking pictures amongst all those rocks. And I would need a ring, and wear something pretty, but this is their do and as long as it made them happy I am happy. I used to attend weddings with my mom as a child and all the ppl who had the extravagant weddings are now divorced, I fully believe weddings should be for those closest to the couple, immediate family and friends who are like family, sometimes these big weddings only bring ppl with their negative thoughts and energies into your sacred affair.

48. Finally!Finally

September 17, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Like Christmas witout chicken, somethings just won’t work outside the norm, no rings ke,!!!! Naaaa Gerara here!

49. Naveah

September 17, 2015 at 9:59 pm

To each his own as some have already said, they can use that money they would have wasted on Stew & Rice for 500 people some who don’t even know their names to buy a nice house for themselves and start their lives jare. I got married with 40 guests, outdoors and a nice reception at a lovely little bistro – the cost: $10,000. I am not in debt, meanwhile a friend of a friend paid $50,000 for her wedding, got divorced and is still paying off the debt. Yes, lack of pomp and circumstance OR the inclusion thereof does NOT make or break a marriage, its the people involved that determine the direction of their union. Cut your coat according to your size. I BET YOU ONE THING – dem sleep well for night o jejely because as we all know the logistics of planning a wedding in Lagos is the third tier of Hell.

50. pokohuntaz

September 17, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Bella, for the 1st time in my life I attended a Nigerian wedding with only about 52 guests…I was surprised and pleased at the same time. Everything was in order. Very intimate and lovely. I want a very intimate wedding. Why spend my whole savings on a wedding? I don’t just like loud ceremonies.

51. Julie

September 18, 2015 at 1:20 am

It’s not the kind of wedding you have, but the kind of marriage you sustain. God bless them.

52. Omotee

September 18, 2015 at 1:48 am

Good for you both and all the best. We wanted an decent owambe but our parents wanted a jamboree. Our parents won. But we both had fun. I truly do not mind big weddings. 300 guests. Good food. Good music. Fun. Both big and small (or minute) weddings can both fail or succeed and size has nothing to do with it. As long as you know you’re having a small wedding for the right reasons. And for those of us who love owambes and are proud to admit it, major shout out.

53. mrnobody

September 18, 2015 at 10:39 am

Sorry Bella Naija..but this doesn’t look or sound like a fun wedding to me! I believe in having a ceremony..could be a few guest, does not have to be the whole world, but a proper ceremony. To each his own though..in the end love keeps the couple not the type of wedding.

54. Yes?

September 18, 2015 at 10:54 am

A stockings??? out of every other priceless item?? . Oh well if I was the husband I probably will never wear it..maybe leave it in its pack, frame it or something and have it hanging somewhere just so to avoid wear and tear. lol! She must be making a jok eof the whole thing

55. Nonamespls

September 19, 2015 at 12:55 am

I had the typical naija wedding but i had so much fun!! I dont regret any aspect of it, intimate is good but that socks part is a no no no for me what would he do with the socks wear it everyday of his life ? I guess it might be symbolic for them though would not have worked for my vain “my socks must match my shirt” hubby