Features

Remi Makanjuola: 4 Tips For Reducing Your Child’s Public Tantrums

IMG-2 0150825-WA0005We live in a society that is largely unforgiving towards parents and young children. Parents are often met with harsh stares and loud murmurs when their children are having tantrums outside the four walls of their house. The public expectation is that children be seen and not heard and parents should always be in control of their child’s behaviour. If you are a parent, you know this is not practical. Because of this, parents feel embarrassed and get no empathy when their child throws a tantrum in public.

It’s important to remember that just because your child is throwing a tantrum doesn’t make you a bad parent; it just makes you a parent. However, there are ways to reduce the incidence of tantrums and better control those situations when they arise.

You May Be Able To Prevent A Tantrum
Keep in mind that children are likely to lose their tempers or have a meltdown when they are tired, sleepy or hungry. So if you are planning a day out, make sure your child is well rested and fed. It also helps to establish ground rules before you step out. One likely place for a meltdown of a child, even a rested child, is the supermarket.  You can explain ahead of time that you are there to buy groceries. You can also discuss one thing you are fine buying for them, so they have something to look forward to. It’s not foolproof but it sets expectations for the long term. Consistency is very key in dealing with children; so if you’ve said it, stay with it, don’t deviate.

Stay Calm
Children are little people with big emotions. The best thing you can do for your child in the face of a tantrum is to stay calm. Remember, tantrums happen because children have strong feelings which they don’t quite know how to handle. Unlike your kicking and screaming child, you have the ability to control your emotions and restore the peace. Master the art of blocking out the chaos and staying in control. It sounds scary and maybe even unrealistic; but in actuality, it’s empowering for you as a parent to hold it together when your child seems to be falling apart.

You cannot bring your child to her senses by raising your voice or making threats. Getting mad will only escalate the child’s emotions. Instead, separate your child from the crowd and speak in slow and controlled voice. Be empathic. Acknowledge their frustration. Say things like “I know you are frustrated” or “I know it’s difficult to wait for your turn,” or “I know you really want to buy that toy but remember we came here to buy milk and apples.” If you need to fake it, yes I said it, fake the calm. Not only will it confuse those judgmental faces staring at you, it’s a way of standing up for your child (don’t ever give anyone the power to put your child down). While you ultimately want to get calm, it’s ok to fake it till you get there. Think of it as practice.

Be A Good Role Model
Be the example you want your child to follow. How do you deal with frustration? Keep in mind that children are always watching. Decide how you will behave no matter how your child behaves. There’s no denying the feelings of embarrassment, shame, failure, sadness and even guilt we feel as parents when our children act up. However, it  is important to step away from those negative emotions and focus on thoughtful responses to those difficult situations. Ask yourself “how can I calm down when my child acts up?” as opposed to “how can I get my child to calm down?” As parents we are natural fixers, but it’s helpful to know, no one can control how another person feels, period.

Don’t Give In
The knee jerk reaction is to give in to your child’s request when he has a meltdown; but there couldn’t be a worse response. If you give in, you are setting a pattern where you create more tantrums. In fact, you are teaching your child that the best way to get what he wants is to kick and scream out of control. Be firm and stand your ground. If all else fails, use your most powerful weapon- the exit. Parenting is about sacrifice; it may not be convenient to leave a birthday party, because quite frankly, you were having a good time. However, if it means teaching your child a lesson in self-control, take one for the team.

Remi Makanjuola is a proprietress and positive parenting advocate. She loves God and children and has a passion for positive parenting. She has worked in childcare facilities both as caregiver and a trainer. She is trained in Montessori Education from Infancy through Age Six by the Pan American Montessori Society, a MACTE accredited institution. In her spare time she loves swimming and spending quiet evenings with her family. One of her favorite quotes is "I did what I know...until I knew better"- Dr. Feland Meadows, this propels her to constantly update herself in childcare and positive parenting practices.

1. 1st timer mommy

September 3, 2015 at 10:10 am

Thanks for this article,

2. tilda

September 3, 2015 at 10:19 am

Tantrums in 2 year olds are within normal developmental milestone attainment. A 2 year old that doesn’t have tantrums is not necessarily a good thing.
    Tantrums means your child is secure and comfortable in the parent child relationship enough to express their wishes whatever they maybe
    Tantrums means that parents are saying NO to the child and containing them within appropriate boundaries .
    In this modern day and age with advancements in research there really is no room for the adage children should be seen and not heard.

• molarah

September 3, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Nope!

• jide

September 3, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Not an excuse for your unruly brat disturbing an entire transatlantic flight though. Pls 2 year old or not handlle your mess. 200 passengers should not have to be “accomodating” just cos your child is going to a terrible two crises. Get some benardryl or vodka and knoc that brat outt Tilll we land. No one is here for that. Can’t stand entitled parents.

• Olu

September 3, 2015 at 4:01 pm

So if a 2yr-old is crying on the plane because you are preventing the child from doing something inappropriate, what should be parent do….cover the mouth or beat him some more?? Please tell me what you would do in this case…especially when you are on a flight in a western nation where ‘abuse’ is frowned upon.

Are you a parent?

• tilda

September 3, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Looool stop throwing a major hissy fit on bella, can see you were contained. Now youall grown up and regressing to the developmental stage you missed out on. Whose gonna contain you now youall big and ugly. Can you hear the sirens. Yep the boys in blue contain naughty big idiots.

• tayo

September 3, 2015 at 4:26 pm

@jide you sound like an over indulged fool. The world does not revolve around you, only two year olds are allowed to think that, becos their brains have not evolved to reason like adults. Shame on you you sound just like a brat.Wait until you have your own then come back and open your mouth.

• Mz_daniels

September 3, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Bros Jide, what is the reason for this vexing here. So kids can’t throw fits again bcos you are on a plane? You sound a bit selfish ooh more like the kid throwing tantrums self

On behalf of all kids who uv thrown tantrums in your presence and their parents, I apologize. How dare the kids hv emotions or express displeasure when it would discomfort Jide? Once again, I apologize on their behalf

• malachi

September 3, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Jide I am sure you plan to put your old folk down when they become an inconvenience. I hate to think about what you will do to a girlfriend or wife with an opinion.

• Bessie

September 3, 2015 at 6:30 pm

I’ll sit next to a cute 2 year old rather than an obnoxious adult . It’s a no brainer

• sibo

September 3, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Children can’t help throwing tantrums jide. What’s your excuse man?

• tiny colored miracle

September 4, 2015 at 8:16 am

Madness,my last flights,babies cried nd cried….nd remember whites dnt hit deir kids,well,if a child z crying on a plane u r in,u cud go ahead nd kill d baby,rubbish!!!!!!!!!

• cynthia

September 4, 2015 at 12:36 pm

We probably were in same flight!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I had thoughts of choking the little brat……that kid was something…..evil.

• justina

September 4, 2015 at 2:17 pm

@cntyia so what do you do to a child with ADH or just a baby teething. I sincerely hope nobody gives you the opportunity to murder or hurt children. Gives me shivers reading what you just published. Tufiakwa.

• Lilo

September 3, 2015 at 11:47 pm

I don’t think the tantrum is the issue. Rather I think it’s parents who assume the world should be ok with their child’s tantrum. Most people are more forgiving of an annoying child of they see the parent is at least making effort. Complacent parents who subject the universe to their child’s behavior should be flogged.

• justina

September 4, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Each child is different. PRAY you do not have a ‘difficult’ child. Because if you do you will quickly realise that your best efforts are not good enough, and you will feel the need to explain to every single judgemental stare you get that you are really trying your best.

3. Fashionista

September 3, 2015 at 10:34 am

Nice article! The good old and effective spanking also never hurt anyone. I didnt say to “rush” your child oh or scar them. The naughty corner and “kneel down and raise your hands” also works wonders. lol.

Just to digress slightly, reading the writers bio, I see she’s trained in Montessori education. I am genuinely curious – I have heard from countless people (I didn’t use countless lightly) that after taking their children out of Montessori school, they were way behind in their development when they started a normal primary school syllabus (say UK or US curriculum). Why is this the case? Is Montessori designed to be slow? What are the elements of its method of teaching that make it seemingly slow in comparison to other methods? And in all of this, how come it still seems to be very popular. Just wondering, I would actually appreciate feedback.

• BlueEyed

September 3, 2015 at 11:13 am

Montessori system is slow, and a complete joke If you ask me. The children learn to be outspoken and unnecessarily giddy, but outspoken does not equate brain smart. Give me brain smart over outspoken for kids at developmental stage. I tell parents you realize that your kids will still go to high school, where the curriculum does not allow for any slow learning.

• RedEyed

September 3, 2015 at 2:25 pm

A quick google search invalidates this comment, you may have seen a child or two that leads you to your conclusions but that does not make a case. There are famous authors, actors, nobel prize winners, inventors, business tycoons…and on and on with a Montessori background. Surely people don’t get to the heights of their respective industries by being “slow”. I’m not listing names specifically because I’d rather people go verify the information for themselves. Anything in this world will have its good and bad. Also, a quick read on what Montessori is shows that it is self directed learning allowing children to develop and learn at their own pace so naturally there will be kids who develop slower than others.

• Hausababe

September 5, 2015 at 6:20 pm

ummm, is this a proven fact? are there studies that show that Montessori system is slow? you can’t make a generalized statementbased on one or two cases. I suggest you go on pubmed and read some of the studies on montessori and brain development. all the best

• Ann1

September 3, 2015 at 4:20 pm

That’s why Nigeria is a country full of angry unstable psychophats. Because parents like you best your kids simply for being normal kids. Smh.

• Ann1

September 3, 2015 at 4:21 pm

That’s why Nigeria is a country full of angry unstable psychophats. Because parents like you beat your kids simply for being normal kids. Smh.

• Fashionista

September 4, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Story!

4. red

September 3, 2015 at 10:57 am

awwww. thanks for this

5. BlueEyed

September 3, 2015 at 11:05 am

I love kids, but those public tantrums just irk me. Nice article, parents should learn to contain their offsprings especially in public settings. I say this because my siblings and I were well behaved kids even at 2 years old, till today my mother still wonders how we never gave her trouble and still came out well.

• Verodrome

September 3, 2015 at 11:49 am

You obviously do not have kids. You will learn. Good luck.

• Remi Makanjuola

September 3, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I take that as a great compliment. My husband and I have 2 boys, both under 4. All my suggestions are tried and tested and work beautifully for my family. We don’t always get instant gratification but that’s not what we are aiming for. We are looking for well behaved children in the long run. Children that behave properly and that live up to a the expectation we have of them even in our abscence. We are not there yet but we are pleased to be on the journey.

• derhmy

September 3, 2015 at 1:12 pm

miss Remi…i think she was referring to Blue Eyed not you…

• derhmy

September 3, 2015 at 1:13 pm

sorry…Mrs M.

6. qb

September 3, 2015 at 11:32 am

Nice article. Enough positive message to take home.
    And we as individuals should learn to stop being to quick to judge parents when their children have tantrums.

• molarah

September 3, 2015 at 2:33 pm

It’s hard to not ‘judge’ when a child is invading your long-sought-after peace of mind with her wails and tantrums, let’s be realistic. I think there is a place for patience to allow the parent work out the situation to a proper conclusion, no matter how long it takes. Sometimes when parents are trying to talk through the situation and reason with the child, impatient bystanders may want to butt in and offer treats to the child so she ends her tantrum quickly. This is what I don’t agree with – let the parent and child, in their own way, end the matter amicably.

• Temitope Lawrence

September 3, 2015 at 3:39 pm

I could not agree more with you @molarah. Bystanders should not escalate the situation by butting in (lack of a better description) and especially not by trying to admonish the child or child and parent.

7. Thatgidigirl

September 3, 2015 at 11:59 am

My nephew is the headmaster of tantrums, and I agree that getting agitated escalates his tantrums. I am not an advocate of violence and aggression but talking calmly doesn’t help all the time…..when you talk calmly he screams NO!!! Giving him a time out doesn’t work, the guy is just gangsta. He would go to the naughty corner voluntarily and sit there or sleep off till you beg him to come out. The spanker however….now that’s the game changer. There’s a place for calm talk and spanking, and this isn’t about surprising the judgmental people but bringing up your child properly.

• Remi Makanjuola

September 3, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Absolutely @thatgidigirl. The sole purpose and focus is on bringing up your child properly. While there is a place for different parenting methods, The goal is not to get a quick fix. Most times, spanking is a quick fix it does little to teach the child to behave well in the long run. A child who responds to spanking always need to be spanked, they don’t behave until you spank. Speaking calmly is a longer road to take but you are teaching your child so many other things in the process. Eventually when they become adults, some of those latent lessons become very valuable.

• Ammee

September 3, 2015 at 1:23 pm

I don’t understand this statement: “Most times, spanking is a quick fix it does little to teach the child to behave well in the long run. ”

Please explain because it was beating my parents used to correct some of my behavior and I can testify that in the long run I ended up behaving myself properly!

Or should your statement be spanking without pointing out to the child what they did wrong.

Because if I spank the child and tell the child that the reason they are getting spanked is because of this and that bad behavior, shouldn’t that work.

• Taiwo

September 3, 2015 at 1:35 pm

A million likes for this comment!!! My 3 year old wouldn’t budge from whatever naughty thing he was doing till I threatened to spank him. I had to stop it cos the message I was passing across was ” Baby, continue doing whatever you’re doing , as long as no one spanks you. It’s only wrong when you get spanked”.
      Thank God I’ve changed now and he has too. I usually make use of promises (which I always fulfill) to get him to do things. We’ve moved to the stage of “Mommy says NO” right now

• Tola A

September 4, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Been a stay at home mum for 12years straight. Raised my kids in the US,UK and Nigeria. What I’ve observed with parenting in Nigeria (black people in general..please don’t judge) is that we get very impatient with our kids too quickly and too often….. We yell too much, we spank too much, and we are just hard with our kids(something tells me that this could be one of the reason our society is the way it is today, is there any predominantly black country that’s doing absolutely well?) we are all too aggressive, starts right from when the child is born, surrounded by constant screaming and yelling!….. How about teaching your child by talking and not yelling, oh yes! They learn fast and they shall be yelling too. How about taking time out squatting down to the Child’s level and talking to them. This of course has to start from an early age not when they are 6. I remember just last week when I picked up my child from school, a mother was just making her way out when the child announced that she needed to use the restroom, the mother looked at the child and hit the child immediately, because she asked the child before they left the school and the child had said no……I was absolutely speechless, it was a stupid way to respond to a child, absolutey stupid!

8. bokun

September 3, 2015 at 2:00 pm

. All my kids had major tantrums between the ages of 18 months to 36 months. If people stare that’s their problem . It’s probably they don’t have kids . Please read Mary Sheridan birth to 5 yrs. very good book, with practical advice on child development.

• tayo

September 3, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Thank you if you can’t handle kids having Tantrums stay the hell at home and in fact make home a kid free zone. I really want to smack the faces of people who judge parents when the child is having a tantrum. As if they themselves never passed that stage.

• tish

September 3, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Nah! I think the issue is not necessarily with the kids having tantrums. Almost every child exhibits such. It’s how the parents or caretaker handles it in such a case that is the issue. Most people love kids, or let me speak for myself, I love kids, but some parents make you question a lot. How can your kid be making noise in church and you sit there acting like nothing is happening, until a warden comes to tell the mum to take the child out. Or a child is told to be quiet by his mum, next thing you see is the child saying waka to her. ah ah, something is wrong somewhere. I’m not yet a parent, hut I’ll most definitely try the pointers when I have mine, it’s all about doing ones best to handle the tantrums when they arise, cos they will

• Mum

September 4, 2015 at 9:39 am

@tish please have a child first, as I see most comments are from people who do not have kids yet. Then come back with this. Thanks Remi. As for the person asking about Montessori education and parents taking them out in droves, most likely in Nigeria as Nigerians enjoy only passing and not actual assimilating knowledge! We are all different my child in a Montessori is doing so great it’s unbelievable. She loves knowledge and her understanding is beyond that of kids who just simply know 1+1 =2.

9. Ify

September 3, 2015 at 3:59 pm

This thing hard o. Sometimes my son behaves so badly that I scream for help and it becomes tough choosing to talk to him over spanking.
    Checkout the following scenarios;
    1)Pushes fellow child and refuses to say sorry instead he starts screaming like he is the one who has been hurt.
    2) Jumps on her sister’s bed few minutes after I had struggled (real struggle o) to put her to bed thereby waking the poor girl and cutting short my ‘me’ time.. yes, I need it.

3) Refusing to be hand help in a shop. Prefers to be left alone so he can round around and probably break stuff (who pays?). So once you get a hold of him, he starts screaming.

4) Jumping on the bed and subsequently rolling over and then starts wailing (serious one that gets neigbhours worried).

I can go on and on.

I do try the talking thingy depending on my “annoyance” level. At such times, he even apologises and says stuff like ” I am so sorry or I love you so much mama”

But when it hits a certain level eh…hmmm good old “cain” proportional to his age does the trick.

Can’t come and burst an artery over a 3year old matter biko.

Guess what???? he just screamed and woke his sister up na na na.

• Mum

September 4, 2015 at 9:41 am

Oh dear, that’s what I was just saying children are different, that boy needs a firmer hand than his sister. Good luck

10. cocolette

September 3, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Lol @Ify. .u just mirrored my life with ur scenarios. .. I have a 3 yr old son and a 3month old daughter and reading ur comment just made me giggle mischievously. Like. .So another parent is going thru what I’m going thru. .lol! ur son and mine may have been separated at birth (joking) As in what u wrote above is my son for u…exactly, no difference! Walahi! D one dat gets on my nerves is d screaming esp wen I have managed to rock d sis to sleep! SMH. . I just think it’s a phase.. they’ll outgrow it eventually. .

• Ify

September 3, 2015 at 8:32 pm

It’s a phase really, and it requires grace.
      lol @ seperated at birth.

11. Bola

September 3, 2015 at 5:53 pm

All this debating with them, ko ye mi more, Wisdom from the ancient days koboko will straighten that tantrum #sparetheRod #spoilthechild #

• Alias

September 3, 2015 at 10:37 pm

I used to be #teamkoboko until I realized several things. A lot of people were caned growing up and it still didn’t stop them from making stupid decisions. I’ve met several people mostly non-Africans who were never caned and are extremely well behaved. When we threaten to or actually spank or cane a child, we often do it in anger. It acts as a deterrent to reproducing the same behavior but the heart of that child isn’t changed. The most powerful lessons I learned as a child were not from my parents beating me but by making me realize the gravity of my wrong act. When I saw how upset they were and why they were upset, the fear of God taught me not to repeat it. I don’t have kids yet but when I do, Remi’s method all the way. If cane was the answer, every Nigerian should be perfect and God knows we are not.

• Mum

September 4, 2015 at 9:44 am

Remi answered you all team Cain, it’s for the short term, also know your child, I was flogged as child as so many other Nigerians look at where our nation is. I am not anti Cain however know your child, my hubby who was never flogged has better manners

12. damseldam1

September 3, 2015 at 6:13 pm

hmmm i have a 18 months old son and the best time for him to throw tantrum is at church that alone can make one no go church till the child is old enough for children class!! ah the devil is a liar na by force by fire we will keep attending church !!. the funny thing is that my son knows when to throw tantrum, he know if he scream till Jesus come in public i am an expert of ignoring him but at church chai!!! now have started praying MFM prayers for my son before we go church!! ( thats how bad it is o)

• Ify

September 3, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Oh yes we had the church scenarios. It became a serious prayer point for me. I just couldnt concentrate. Most times after church I realise those who didnt even come were better off.

Reason being that I spend the entire time chasing after him in and outside the church.

Thankfully I passed that phase with him but unfortunately he handed the batton over to his sister.

The moment I enter the church, those who know us start moving to the next row.lol

• Mum

September 4, 2015 at 9:46 am

I truly understand that, guess what I did, I got coloring pencils, books, toys that require concentration that are not too colorful. Worked

13. damseldam1

September 3, 2015 at 6:15 pm

have just seen some typo errors… at least you all understand me sha lol

14. pearl

September 3, 2015 at 8:27 pm

All the debating and reasonin is hard hard work. Hard work pays in the end. When you see how emotional , mentally and developmentally stable your child is you will be glad you had the patience. Children are not namanama you dont need to beat them into submission. They have brains. Everyone can have children at least fertility no be examine. It’s not everyone that can be a parent. Kudos to all parents out there. May God bless our hard work.

15. Josephine

September 3, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Agreed all kids throw tantrums to various degrees, and how it is handled when they are young is essential for how they will behave when older. Remi those are good tips. And we can always reward the kid following an outing with no incidence.

• Mum

September 4, 2015 at 9:47 am

From all the comments, you can tell the ones parents wrote and the ones who are not wrote

16. Anonymous

September 3, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Great read. I particularly like point on how we can avoid tantrums by doing necessary things. I know my son is super cranky if he doesn’t get his nap. Great article!

17. LolaFad

September 4, 2015 at 12:02 am

Nice article Remz. I’ll take you up on staying calm. Luckily I haven’t had too many public tantrum episodes. Keep up the good work and look forward to your next article!

18. fleur

September 4, 2015 at 12:47 am

tantrums = lack of established boundaries with an authority figure. Kids will try to cry. My kids tried when they were young. But you know peeps, they would sniffle and use their side eyes to look at my facial expression. that is all they need to swallow the remainder of the sniffle. Kids have to be shown boundaries and who is in charge. They need to know when to respond to a figure of authority. It is not always done with the cane. You can start really early by letting them know you will not have it. It starts when they raise hell as babies in the crib. If you panic as a response pattern, you are doomed to a life of tantrums. I had to bone. I made them realize I am not going to be a slave to whims. Buckle up parents. Be firm and loving.

19. Debbie

September 4, 2015 at 9:12 am

I wonder where you get this impression of Montessori being slow from. You obviously are very myopic and do not seek to know. Because if you do, the Internet is replete with research and evidence to show that it is one of the best methods, if not the best method that has stood the test of time over the years. It does not only help children to have a solid foundation for concepts they will learn later in their academic life but actually prepares a child for life. I guess people like you who equate knowledge with the ability to learn numbers by rote and write 1-100 at the age of two or three without a proper understanding of the concepts underpinning the number relationships can never appreciate an educational method that helps a child to think by himself and not thought for. That is what MONTESSORI education does for a child and that is really what is lacking in our educational system today. We see adults who do not have minds of their own, whose talents have been killed by teachers who insisted there is only one way to add 1+ 1. And didn’t let them figure things out by themselves. MONTESSORI education helps a child to explore, discover and understand. There’s a saying by Comenius the great educational philosopher that goes thus “I hear, I forget , I see I remember, I do, I understand. Understanding only comes when a child is allowed to explore. That is why you see the likes of Larry page and Sergey Brin, founders of Google, Jeff Bezos founder of Amazon & many others attributing their success today to the solid foundation they received in their early and elementary years in a Montessori school that allowed them to think and explore. They have carried the same attiutude right into adulthood and today we see the results. I have a 19 year old daughter who passed through a Montessori preschool, and till today the benefits of that thorough foundation continues to reflect in all that she does. She tops her class and has excelled all though, yet I cannot attribute it to inherited genes. Maybe you didn’t go to a proper Montessori school hence your terrible experience or wrong impressions. As to what a proper Montessori school should look like, that I’m sure will be a topic for another day.

20. Mum

September 4, 2015 at 9:51 am

As for me, my kids in Montessori are doing so great and as for Remis tips I am taking them. I use a very firm voice to let them know who is in charge. Some of you also need to realize there are so many special needs children out there as well. Next time you see a child having a fit, it might just be beyond just having an episode. That’s why you have meant special needs kids under the radar in Nigeria

21. Remi Makanjuola

September 4, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Wow!! I am humbled and elated at the responses. Thanks to all who made a comment and many thanks to those who helped clarify my points and hopefully have led someone towards the path of a more respectful, gentle, loving yet firm and consistent parenting. After all, that’s what this is all about our journey to positive parenting. Don’t take the seemingly “easy” way out. Don’t look to instant fixers but take a more delibrate approach and equip your child to be a better person in the long run.

22. Mochi

September 4, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I have a 3 year old son and a 2 month old daughter. I realized really quickly that kids are way smarter than we usually assume so what I do is explain things to him e.g we can’t shout because your sister is sleeping. Then when I talk a little loudly he shhhhhhs me and tells me to whisper, lol. Or no tv in the mornings because that’s play time so he doesn’t even bother to ask. Of course like any child he has his moments and when all the oyinbo moves have failed ‘o ma je egba’ usually works, lol.i tell him there’s a naughty corner everywhere even in the supermarket so you misbehave anywhere, you face the wall!
    Ps: really hate it when strangers butt in when you’re correcting a child

23. Hausababe

September 5, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Awesome points Remi, definitely worked when i taught at a Montessori school and even with my neices and nephews