News

Social Media Movement Tackles Gender Inequality in Nigeria: #HumanBeforeWoman #HumanBeforeMan

GD

Have you ever been discriminated against because of your gender?

A Nigerian woman, “Lady B” (@KBUdeogu), recently took to Twitter to share her experience with gender discrimination, and it got people talking.

Here is what she said:

Other people on Twitter proceeded to tell their own stories of discrimination:

GD3 GD4This subsequently sparked the hashtags #humanbeforewoman and #humanbeforeman with people speaking out against gender inequality:

Leslie1 IllRhymthz ELLAtee y mixChinOkekeAlaska

***

BellaNaijarians, let’s continue the conversation. Share your stories with us.

1. Palmwinefortwo

September 29, 2015 at 4:39 pm

What on earth is that last tweet? ?

palmwinefortwo.wordpress.com

• Kadara

September 29, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I think that man pulled a fast one on her . Clearly he could see she didn’t have a wedding band so asking to speak with her husband and not her was simply a way to cheat her and not have to pay! He knew she wouldn’t want to get confrontational and he took advantage of that. If it was me I would have given him a nice prayer / curse (may you reap what you’ve done to me in 100 folds) depending on your conscience and gone my way.

• Kadara

September 29, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Nigerian men generally have no respect for women and the problem is from homes. A male child is taught that he is superior to his sisters and the sad part is that the mothers are the ones who even perpetuate that. In order for things to change, we need to raise a better generation of men. Let us raise our boys up to be wonderful men that our daughter in laws will thank us for. We also need to teach our daughters that they are not inferior to any man

2. Palmwinefortwo

September 29, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Also, why didn’t they just go with the existing #beingfemaleinnigeria hashtag? Buzzfeed even did a feature on it.

palmwinefortwo.wordpress.com

3. ATL's finest

September 29, 2015 at 4:53 pm

See me see wahala! This one na serious Gobe. WTH? Just because u are a man & I’m a woman then U know it better? U hit my car ( not my Hubby’s own) beside she’s not even wearing a ring 2ndly, u don’t wanna hold a conversation with me or at least offer an apology first. Well Lady B is a better person than I am. #crazy=me#. I will hit your balls with an object and before u blink, I will smash your car Ehnnn then we are even.. So let’s see how it plays out. At least what a man can do, a woman can do it BETTER!!! U never see me for action. Crazy is an understatement and I DON’T play. I don’t care who U are. U are wrong for bashing my car and u still dey talk BS bcuz I b ♀. Thunder FIRE that Orangutan mouth.. Some Nigerian men and their foolish mentality. That’s why some in Overseas are receiving BS from their wives here bcuz wanna Dominate & claim HOH shit.. We r one and equal. A FAM friend once said baba my daughters will marry & bear another name, my son na my own oo ( property conversation came up) so meaning her son gets more than the girls. Are u for real? Isn’t the way u gave birth to d boy that’s how u gave birth to d girl? Smh

4. Ross

September 29, 2015 at 4:54 pm

I’m so sorry this happened to her. I however would have actually rammed his car (damage to my car be damned) and then left. He should discuss the repairs of that with my future husband. Somethings you hear and your blood just boils!

• whocares

September 30, 2015 at 11:20 am

Same here!!!!!!!!!! Discuss it man to man! Oh gods.. I just want to fly through my screen, hunt the man down and give him a thorough beating *calm down wocares, calm down* This initiative makes me happy. I hope it goes viral and becomes ridiculously popular. If I had a twitter I would tweet it.
      These form of discrimination hurts even more because no one even thinks they are doing anything wrong. It would mollify one a little if the man was a little shamed faced as he requested to speak to the husband. But that is status quo. He cannot relate with you as you either cannot afford the car, or he does not think you have the sensibility to handle the big man discussion. Gods. It is demoralising that’s for sure. Keep your head up Lady B. Next time, don’t cry. Open your mouth and speak! If that does not work, arrange for someone to go to the nearest police station. As a last resort, pay at least 4 area boys and let him duke it out with them.
      And the ones who felt the need to clarify that they are far from being feminists.. smh. fecking idiots.

5. Blah blah

September 29, 2015 at 5:03 pm

You know what I don’t understand? The man probably has a daughter. I wish people would treat women how they want their daughters to be treated. Notice I didn’t say wives cos that one get as e be. A man would beat his wife black and blue but God bless the man who does that to his ‘princess’. Treat women how you would want your daughter to be treated!!
    PS, why is it that people always support the wrong doers in situations like this? Some drunk idiot ran into me and everyone who came around was begging for him. All the stories I hear about women being bashed always results in passersby begging for the culprit. Let’s stop it abeg.

6. Unique

September 29, 2015 at 5:04 pm

But i beg to differs ThatMen and women are not equal. Y’all know deep down in ur heart of heart this is the TRUTH
    Those feminists be screaming equality without backing it up, they are up against each other with tongue in cheek knowing fully when they are pursuing a mirage.
    Insult me all you can but the basic truth is that the male is not your enemy, the male are just being as a scapegoats because the females cant stand up for themselves in unifying force.
    Let the ranting start, even if the country legalised gender equality, who is to enforce them, Men or Women?

7. Truth be told

September 29, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Truth be told, many ladies/women i have seen drive on the road are not good at it.

Stay in the centre of the express
    Join the road anyhow without looking at their side mirrors
    no trafficators
    stay on the fast lane and moving slowly
    drive on the road as if it is their fathers property

If not that two people cant be mad at the same time, the way many drive, they would be the one to cause the accident but out of maturity, you just overlook it, avoid them and go your way

• molarah

September 30, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Men drive equally as bad. And I’m sure if someone got serious about taking the statistics, men would come up as the worse drivers. That ‘na woman’ syndrome on naija roads only exists in men’s heads. The only thing about female drivers is that they tend to be more cautious (as females lean towards security rather than risk), thus giving other drivers the impression that they are slow or they don’t know what they are doing.

8. Concerned_Boyfriend

September 29, 2015 at 5:46 pm

The equality struggle is everywhere. Here in the west, it’s the fight for equal pay for women, while in developing countries of Africa, it is the vicious abuses and total disregard for women’s right. The west enacted laws to protect the rights of women, Africa enacted laws to protect the right of the man. The irony!.

9. Dr. N

September 29, 2015 at 6:15 pm

A guy once knocked off my side mirror, slowed down, gave me a wink and sped off. As in, “chase me na!” Mbok, I left him to my angels. He must be having a great life with the koboko lashes they gave him. Hehehe.
    I refuse to be cowed tho. I don’t expect discrimination. Should it happen I flick it off n move on. Life must treat me well cause I am the salt of the earth.
    PS Who loves d series “Madam Secretary”? Is she cool or what?

10. Igbegocho

September 29, 2015 at 6:23 pm

The first time I read this I felt sorry for her. I have however stopped feeling sorry and got very angry with her for letting him get away with it. It’s probably not the first time he has done something like that. As a female driver I’ve heard my fair share of the careless comments men and surprisingly women, make when a woman is behind the wheel. Funny thing is men are the more irritating drivers, that’s a debate for another day. My own is, e get some kain insult wey you no go let olori buruku get away with. Some battles you fight, and if there was ever a reason to fight, that incident was one of them.

11. su

September 29, 2015 at 6:48 pm

well well, if he had hit a crazy girl like me, I wont even waste time to get back in my car and bash his car with all my strength then we shall talk to my husband after! idiot! People need to stop acting weak too. Theres a scripture that says “the kingdom of God suffereth violence and the violence taketh it by force”!!! I will take my right and respect by force sometimes where necessary!
    Myself and a female friend went to yellow chili at oju olobun on sunday and the place was full, Some couple stood up and we wanted to sit and the waiter let two men who came after us sit on the table and we had to sit on the same table with them. The waiter brings the menu and gives it to the men and ignores us. Just had to tell him he was stupid for that move! I go and sit downstairs with totally different waiters….they take our order and a couple and two boys come after us and they serve them first before me and my friend since we were females. I had never known such disrespect in all the time I visited there with my parents and siblings…All I could tell them again is that they were big FOOLS for that move and left!!! YELLOW CHILI !!! WHAT A DISGRACE!

12. NaijaPikin

September 29, 2015 at 7:18 pm

And this is when i will just call in a favor from my military friends. Will beg for them to send me some soldiers (preference for army)His [email protected]% up can easily be treated by some good ol wozing from soldiers.

Idiot…..let him ask my husband about that.

13. carina

September 29, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Some men are senseless!
    ckjacob.com

14. mae

September 30, 2015 at 9:51 am

So she just stayed on d side of d road and cried? Why won’t they ask for the husband…..

15. Engoz

September 30, 2015 at 10:04 pm

What we need is action and justice! Let’s begin to tackle individual cases, like the link below.

pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/09/30/man-batters-wife-throws-her-out-for-rejecting-custody-of-love-child/

A man beat up his wife and kicked her out of the house because she refused to accept his love child from a mistress.

Bella please start up a new article on this pmnewsnigeria topic and raise the awareness! Let us support this woman. Because I am done complaining. If you guys are not done starting up twitter hashtags that will die before the day runs out, I am.

Nigerian female lawyers, where are you? Policies have to be put in place to protect women, because as it is now a husband can wake up one morning, and kick the wife out of the house.