News

British-Nigerian Oxford University Gay Rights Activist Annie Teriba confesses to Non-consensual Sexual Encounter

BellaNaija.com

Annie Teriba stood out as an unflinching supporter of gay rights at Oxford University. The 20 year old third-year student at Wadham College was the editor of No Heterox** “a zine for queer and trans voices” and an active member of various on-campus organizations including the the Oxford University Student Union (OUSU).

Annie Teriba NewspaperArafat “Annie” Oluwatoyosi Teriba, daughter of Nigerian parents, she grew up in East London and was raised primarily by her mother. Her academic excellence, outstanding talent in debate and passion for various causes, helped her gain a place at the prestigious university.

She made her mark at Oxford due to her tireless campaigning for causes including student fees and debt, racial equality and LGBT rights.

Annie Teriba debt free

This week, she released a statement via her Facebook page, admitting to a non-consensual sexual encounter at the NUS Black Students’ Conference earlier this year as well as another inappropriate encounter in her first year at university.

Her actions and subsequent confession have made the front page of various UK outlets.

Read the statement below;

This statement explains why I will be stepping back from political campaigning from now.
(I owe you a proper explanation, so will go into details here which you may find triggering.)

At this year’s NUS Black Students’ Conference, I had sex with someone. The other party later informed me that the sex was not consensual. I failed to properly establish consent before every act. I apologise sincerely and profoundly for my actions. I should have taken sufficient steps to ensure that everything I did was consensual. I should have been more attentive to the person’s body language. In failing to clarify that the person consented to our entire encounter, I have caused serious irreparable harm.

In a separate incident, in my first year of university, I was alerted to my inappropriate behaviour whilst drunk in a club, where I had touched somebody in a sexual manner without their consent. Therefore this is not an isolated incident. I apologise sincerely and profoundly for my actions.

With these incidents I have rightly lost the trust of those who I organise with and fully intend to work to ensure that I both put my politics into practice in my personal relations and to prove to them that I am committed to transformation. As such, it would be wrong of me to accept platforms and access spaces until I have done so.

In order to ensure the safety of others, I will be taking a number of steps:
i) I breached NUS’s safe spaces policy, so will not be attending future NUS events. ii) I am resigning from all the political positions I hold – from NCAFC’s National Committee and from the NUS’s Black Students’ Committee, and as editor of the No Heterox** zine and as the People of Colour and Racial Equality Officer at Wadham SU, Oxford.
iii) I will be stepping back from prominent campaigning in other forums, including ‪#‎RhodesMustFall‬ and rs21.
iv) I commit to getting help with how I consume alcohol. It is clear that I lack self-awareness and become sexually entitled when I am drunk. This does not excuse my actions, I am wholly responsible for the damage that I have caused.
v) I commit to educating myself properly about consent by reading zines and other materials which have kindly been made available to me.
vi) I commit to seeking help from perpetrator organisations – for example, I have taken steps to establish contact with RESPECT and will be seeking out organisations who specifically deal with sexual violence.
I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused.
Yours, Annie Teriba

Several liberal campaigners at Oxford have rejected Annie’s apology – a statement Women’s Campaign Officer Stephanie Kelley shared with The Daily Beast, stated that the group found Teriba’s confession “unfortunately, rife with apologism,” which is why the members do “not condone it nor the violence it describes.”

Others say Miss Teriba is a victim of the hardline approach she preached in her activism.

1. Tan

October 17, 2015 at 5:30 am

Well said Annie!! Im not gay or LGTB.. But respect the fact that you are a brilliant student and you have a platform.
    You’ll be ok.. you will bounce back and still be the political activist you obviously hope to become. This is a just a minor set back.

2. tob

October 17, 2015 at 5:31 am

This is why people in glass houses do not throw stones. You cannot wake up and decide to be an activist when you have skeletons in your cupboard or vulnerabilities that can be exploited.
    PSA to my fellow Nigerians in the abroad: Our parents did not labor on us to come and start dragging social issues in another man’s house. You put yourself in the center of attention, with the platform they provide for you, and then turn around to create unnecessary enemies.
    For goodness sake Naira to Dollar / Naira to Pound is very expensive. With all that school fees, they say face ya book, do not party, is that too much to ask?
    But no, you decide you are a social justice warrior, nouveau Rosa Parks + MLK. Na only you waka come? MLK was murdered, oh! Learn a thing or two from history. The way forward is to cling on to that your education and let your achievement speak for itself (why I love me some Ben Carson). After you become chief of neurosurgery, tell me whether current and former Heads of State will not be at your beck and call. But no, you elect to put yourself at the crosshairs of controversy, knowing full well that you are A LONG WAYS AWAY FROM HOME, and unlike your course mates, you do not have a trust fund that can buy you a defense like AFFLUENZA. Instead of you to mind ya sef, ehn.
    Non-consensual sexual encounter? My people is that not rape? He said, she said. One of the most difficult crimes to prove. This girl could darn well be on the verge of suspension, expulsion, plus the risk of criminal charges. Because she had to go and fight for the whole world, the entire thing is now being dragged through the media. You have given yourself a public record. Whatever job, next school, that decide to google your name or do a background check on you, this is what will come up.. Ehn, how do you bounce back from this?
    May God not let the labor of our mothers be in vain, oh. It sounds like she was even raised by a single mother. The mum could have been thankful, Her child entered a WHOLE OXFORD UNIVERSITY. And now this.
    In other news, this mea culpa is one for the history books. Step aside BILL CLINTON (circa Monica Lewinsky) there is a new professional denouncer in town. “The other party later informed me that the sex was “Not Consensual..”” Is that not the very definition of RAPE. Props to her crisis manager. No inflammatory words, ample deflection, and no clear admission of guilt.
    One has to delve through the statement and maybe even do a double take before you realize the gravity of what is behind the confession. Almost like a preemptive strike to a blackmail or a threat to exposure, that you decide to come out in front of the story. Some Olivia Pope level statement.

• lim

October 17, 2015 at 10:17 am

@tob you comment in very myopic..
      The people you list here are/were not angels. E.g.:-Martin Luther KIng carried on multiple affairs. Ben Carson is currently making a fool of himself via GOP republican debates.
      Free this Annie girl. Her world is obviously bigger than yours. Its not about Nigeria vs Uk upbringing, pond/naira, etc.
      Its about tolerance, forgiveness, redemption..second chances..

• tob

October 17, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Hence why I said people in glass houses DO NOT THROW STONES. If she has been groping people since her first year, she obviously lived in one heck of a glass houses to be going after the status quo. Non-Consensual Sexual Encounter IS RAPE. Last I checked, a RAPIST is not a saint. And Ben Carson is the truth. He is polling second in the Republican Primary polls. He achieved way more than any black person would in their lifetimes and then some. He broke glass ceilings and reached places members of the black race never thought were attainable. We just might have two consecutive African American Presidents in the US thanks to Ben Carson.
      Free this Annie girl. Are you kidding me? A RAPIST IS A RAPIST. Even if you find yourself some Olivia Pope style crisis manager to write you an amazing confession letter. Like you barely even notice the admission of guilt, and then she outlines her own punishment, which does not amount to squat.
      “Her world is obviously bigger than yours.” Really? I did not know we were best friends. What do you know about me? The degrees I have collected, and accolades. Just because we both have access to internet. And just because I reference exchange rates, does not mean I do not currently earn a foreign currency. The truth is at the end of the day Nigeria is the safety net for all Nigerians, regardless of where we live.
      This girl may have been raised in East London, but she is Nigerian, raised by a Nigerian single mother, which is hard as can be. At some point her mom may have been sending money to relatives back home. That would have been in Naira. Some Nigerians in the UK work all many of subpar jobs to make ends meet, who knows were she fits in on that spectrum. She did not have to go to school in the UK even if she was raised there. She could have been sent to Nigerian for her college education. So yes. the exchange rate is just too expensive for my fellow Nigerians abroad to engage in tomfoolery.

• tob

October 17, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Also, for someone who comes right off the bat to accuse me off myopia, I find it very amusing to see you ASSERT as FACT that her world is definitely bigger than mine. LMAO as I run to dust off the doctorate degree I earned before my 23rd birthday. I have two Bachelors degree, a Masters, and a Doctorate. Gerrahere with your myopia.

• Tari

October 17, 2015 at 11:38 am

You love Ben Carson? Are you kidding me? That man is presently shaming every sane black person. Education is not same as intelligence o.

• tob

October 17, 2015 at 2:58 pm

What Ben Carson is doing is teling black people to remember the labor of their heroes past. Get off their asses and stop depending on welfare. Get an education, get a job, get yourself some economic empowerment. If you are not progressing, you are regressing. What else can the black community say it has attained for itself since the civil rights movement. Be honest. And yes, I am totally against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. A country cannot decide to just open its borders to every Tom, Dick, and Harry. That is some serious strain on its finite resources that leads to a very disatrous tipping point. America is on the verge of becoming a third world country, so many people depending on welfare and charity, like where is the dignity. The illegal immigrants will enter the country, work under the table, not pay tax, while the legal immigrants will be bearing the burdens of this yeye people. Oh they will work just enough hours so they show up in the system and can qualify for benefits, the rest under the table. Somebody is paying for that. My taxes are paying for that. So, yes. I agree with Ben Carson. I am also against Obamacare. Why because it is against the free market capitalism America was built upon. Businesses that can scale up (grow and get bigger) and prevented from entering the market because of the cost of doing business. That is lost revenue, lost taxes. Not everybody wants insurance, you should have choice in that. Obama with the help of SCOTUS (Supreme Court of The United States) took this choice away. If you do not have insurance in America, you get to pay a fine. On what other country on earth does this happen? There even some people out their who just want a temporary gig, however the jobs that could have opened up, are not in existence because of the burdens of entering market. What Obama did is market protectionism at its finest. He created an oligopoly for pre-existing big business. That way they are open to fewer traces of competition. This election season is very important it is a fight for the soul of America, because God knows it can continue like this for much longer. The country is in so much debt, it is unbelieveable, yet it will be giving money around that it doesn’t have.
      Ben Carson is a brilliant and intelligent man, who came from nothing. Dude has the Presidential Medal of Freedom bestowed upon him by then, President George W. Bush. He is a successful author, and broke so many black ceilings for the average black person.

• Steps

October 18, 2015 at 8:16 am

@Tari Thank You Oh.. I Beg Tell This Tob Character. IF Ben Carson Is theirr Idol There Is No Hope Left

• tob

October 18, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Dear Steps,
      If you wake up everyday not praying for you and you and yours to achieve half the things the man Ben Carson has? The man speaks nothing but the truth about economic and educational empowerment telling people to refuse to live on handouts. It is then and only then that there ceases to be no hope for the black and entire human race.
      The government cannot save everybody. That is socialism and it collapses time and time again. You have to go get yours- the return to pure capitalism and not the adulterated welfare state Obama has imposed.

• na wa

October 17, 2015 at 11:42 am

And you dont think the expensive education has been wasted if you can’t question or stand for anything. Some have mouths and have refused to speak.

• tob

October 17, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Exactly, some have mouths and have refused to speak. Why do the Nigerians a long way from home, have to be the martyrs? You cannot come and go and die for another person’s cause. If she gets thrown in jail for rape, or gets expelled from school, who is she helping. She should have laid low, gotten that her expensive education and LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY. Politics, university or national level is extremely dirty. You expose yourself to a lot of scrutiny. You can decide to challenge an entire people’s way of life and some’s livelihood if you have skeletons that can be thrown in your face. Or can be blackmailed, which might be the case here.

• S!

October 17, 2015 at 1:38 pm

She was drunk, made mistakes, acknowledged her mistakes, apologised and has taken actions to work on herself. Did she say if the person filled rape charges with the police? You are a sex offender only when you have been reported to the police and proven guilty. You admitting to non consensual sex doesn’t make you legally one.

Please was it a guy she had the ‘non consensual sex’ with? If so and he had an erection, I think that’s enough consent!

• tob

October 17, 2015 at 3:28 pm

“Didn’t you read where BN wrote she was raised in East London? Why are you talking about Naira/ Pounds exchange rate and being “far from home”?”
      As a Nigerian, regardless of where you are raised, so long as you continue to cling to that last name of yours, home, you safety net, is Nigeria. When you get tired of the institutional roadblocks on your journey away and decide to pack all your load out of frustration; home is always and will forever be NIGERIA.
      Why is the exchange rate important. Because her single mum had options. Although raised in the UK, she did not have to go there for college. She could have been shipped back to Nigeria, for university. That is why the exchange rate is important. By sending us to schools outside Nigeria, our parents are actively making a sacrifice, giving up on vacations, getting a second car, or even a vacation home. That is money, foreign currency that could have been invested. And to every Nigerian parent, the frame of reference is always Naira. And Oxford education is not cheaper, especially for a single mum. Therefore, before my fellow Nigerians decides it is their calling to become Social Justice Warriors, I believe it is best for them to know what is really at stake. Especially if you do not have a trust fund to fall back upon.

“She was drunk?” Since when did being drunk become an adequate defense for anything? So what, she was drunk? She was still responsible for her actions. I honestly do not know what same sex rape constitutes, but what I do know is that a RAPIST, is a RAPIST, and nobody deserves to be violated without their consent. And if the counterpart in this case was male, an erection does not constitute sex. What it is an involuntary hormonal and central nervous reaction to stimulation. Men can be raped to.

And since when did offenders state handing out their own punishments? Re-read her punishment, what substantive actions and consequences did she truly ascribe to herself.

• Idomagirl

October 17, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Actually an erection is not consent. If a man is drunk he can still have an erection but that doesn’t make it okay to have sex with him.
      Remember a person who is very drunk isn’t aware enough to give sexual consent (we’ve seen this in lots of PSAs targeting men, it should be directed at women as well).

• Damisko

October 18, 2015 at 12:03 am

@tob

I don’t support homosexuality but I support second chances. I don’t condone or justify her actions at all. However, such cases take place everyday especially among college students. A night of partying, drinking leads to so many things. A lot of times, it depends on the person who feels violated, who decides to speak up about it. When you are black in a country, where laws, luck, everything is against you. Mistakes that could be easily forgiven based on skin color, a foreigner will be dragged through the mud for it. I do believe, she should face consequences for her action. Rape/non consensual is not something to be taken lightly.

• tob

October 18, 2015 at 1:58 pm

I am not denying the fact that institutional racism is prevalent in non-black majority countries. This is my truth and I live it everyday. With that said, when you know darn well the entire system is against you, why will you then set yourself up by placing yourself in compromising situations? I’m not saying do not drink and party, it is not my place to impose my strict standards on anybody. However, if you willfully elect to engage in such activity, employ MODERATION. THOU SHALL NOT INHIBIT YOUR JUDGMENT, LEST YOU MAKE YOURSELF VULNERABLE FOR A SETUP, which may be the case here. The average Nigerian abroad is not a trust fund and you cannot afford the defense attorneys of Jones Day or DLA Piper; therefore, mind ya sef.

• Sandiva

October 18, 2015 at 2:01 am

Lol!
      To be Frank I LOVE all ya comment here.
      Interesting# U nailed it#

• Madgenk

October 18, 2015 at 11:52 am

@tob, THANKS is not enough. You cut right through the BS!!! I am so tired of this agenda piggy backing and cause celébre! Enough! Face ya book!!

3. Pat

October 17, 2015 at 6:17 am

Teriba “confessess to non-consensual encounter….. the other party later informed me that the sex was not consensual”. In otherwords, was it after the sex that the other party realised it was not consexual? Is the other party a minor? If not some things are questionable. Also, why would such a picture be used on a public article? Was the picture deliberately used or moderated to present her in certain light?There were no editors to ascertain that such a picture might not be the best to use? I am yet to see people who go against the law/ policy pictured like this, not even in mug shots. Seems like there is more to the story and hidden agenda due to the way things were presented. Only God and those involved know the 100% truth.

4. Sadia

October 17, 2015 at 6:22 am

Ki no gbogbo e le yii?what is all this?hian…abeg read your books and be involved in organizations with actual purpose.

5. Cindy

October 17, 2015 at 6:47 am

Now you have to be scared of both male and female rapists. Na wa o. Who can someone trust now? All this lgbt people just be causing confusion in somebody’s mind. The way I react in the school bathroom when I sight a potential lesbo coming in ehn. You cannot even be comfortable where you are supposed to be anymore. O ga o.

6. jane

October 17, 2015 at 7:15 am

Hmmmm,,…say no more dear, come 2 nigeria let’s flog that drunken spirit, rapist spirit and gay spirit out of a young girl.

• S!

October 17, 2015 at 1:41 pm

You know it’s not everybody that supports the LGBT rights/ community is gay right?

7. Go & sit down

October 17, 2015 at 7:27 am

I no follow!
    Oya mi L’enu!
    I am confused about this one O!
    *scratches head *

8. mabel

October 17, 2015 at 7:48 am

Activist that is as guilty as sin. You drink and start touching upandan. Just thank your stars you are in the UK, na slap I for woos you for here if you try am with me. That demon inside you will fly out. All these girls that like touching fellow girls anyhow as if they can’t control their hands. After they will call somebody homophobic.

9. Niyoola

October 17, 2015 at 8:12 am

I don’t even understand. She had sex with someone without the person’s consent.
    Is that rape or not?
    Did the person eventually consent/start enjoying the sex later on? Because I’m wondering why she was ‘told’ she had sex with someone who didn’t consent.
    Why not press charges.

Kudos to her for apologising sha, even though it reads ‘one kain’

Well, IMO, I think it was a case of being a victim of your oversabi.
    Many of us are over sensitive. Someone taps you on your shoulder to call your attention, you turn it to sexual assault; how exactly won’t you become guilty of it in future

• Pat

October 17, 2015 at 12:48 pm

You raised some valid points.

10. semesee

October 17, 2015 at 9:53 am

Teriba make a statement to the police. My heart goes out to the poor victim of yours!

11. Tari

October 17, 2015 at 11:34 am

Another view;
    thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/15/radical-lesbian-s-groping-scandal-engulfs-oxford-university.html

12. Oo

October 17, 2015 at 11:51 am

I hope she doesn’t hurt herself.

13. concerned9ja

October 17, 2015 at 12:19 pm

she’s feisty…gay and black…perfect foil for the Right Wing…just watch how they decimate her using the media. they overwhelmingly own!!
    Already the Liberal brigade she’s a part of are one of those leading the attack..
    Personally black people should concentrate on being more enterpreneurial instead of these lost causes…

14. nene

October 17, 2015 at 12:33 pm

this is a rubbish story

15. 4real

October 17, 2015 at 1:03 pm

This girl is obviously being set up and blackmailed too. They are not comfortable with her boldness and intelligence. They are forcing her to publicly declare herself incompetent. I smell the same thing that happened to Chuka Umunna.

Ndi ocha di aruru ani.

16. Ada

October 17, 2015 at 1:15 pm

How girl take dey rape girl sef. You no reach! I will silaaaaap you!

17. jinkelele

October 17, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Set-up.
    She was drunk, she and another girl groped around whilst both drunk. I suspect she was physically stronger. Now she thought it was just a one night stand thing but she’s not interested in pursuing the same chic again. The same chic begins to wonder if the sex was really consensual or was she being rushed. Chic contacts Anne over and over Annie realises this could blow up in her face then she pre-empts them.
    Chic in question won’t file charges however her detractors the upper elite Oxford heritage people will use her blackness against. No more politics for her then.

18. brian

October 17, 2015 at 2:53 pm

those of you raising your kids abroad or sending them abroad for school….this is what you get…lesbianism and confused kids………..having seen my sisters children and brothers children here in america i have decided not to ever raise my children abroad……let them stay in nigerian and suffer like others………..if they become lesbians atleast i can send them to jail….nonsense

• Idomagirl

October 17, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Stupid comment.

• mo

October 17, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Really? You are draft!

• Mr Brian

October 17, 2015 at 7:30 pm

You would be surprised to know the large number of NIGERIAN girls who have experimented with lesbianism IN NIGERIA. Without having to leave the shores of Nigeria.

• MEE

October 18, 2015 at 2:57 am

Hehehe…..This is a very retarded view. So LGBT people don’t exist in Nigeria?? You must be joking. At least abroad you see it clearly, it’s much worse in Nigeria where you can’t really tell cos they’ll lynch you if you get caught. In my secondary school years back, lesbianism was there ooo, how much more now. Abeg open your eyes and stop dreaming.

19. Idomagirl

October 17, 2015 at 4:15 pm

But if this was a man who had announced having non-consensual sex with someone a.k.a rape, Ann and her organization would not be content with a public apology and a resignation, they would be pursuing a criminal case and possibly a sex offender registration for him.

Why should she be treated any differently?

• semesee

October 17, 2015 at 7:38 pm

@Idomagirl , you are spot on. Non-consensual sex is a crime and she has openly admitted to it. Now she needs to pay the price that comes with the crime.!

• ?

October 17, 2015 at 7:58 pm

“I had sex with someone. The other party later informed me that the sex was not consensual”.
      The person she slept with didn’t want to sleep with her but did anyway, later regretted it and informed her it wasn’t consensual. Is this what it means because I don’t understand. Is this rape or what? honestly someone please explain, I just cant seem to get it and I want to.

• jay

October 18, 2015 at 6:21 am

@idomagirl @tob..Do not jump into conclusions Tob without knowing the full story. You would be surprised at the amount of haters she has. I’m very sure sure ws blackmailed into doing this. I have to also state that I would rather be a change somewhere than go through an institution living an ordinary life so to speak. I’m very sure her parents would be a 100percent proud of her for being that on person to stand out and represent blacks when a debate o racism is mentioned. My advice for you @Tob, we all make mistakes (i’m sure she didn’t rape. Read between the lines) always be the Chang wherever you go. Make the most of your situation. I’m sure if you schooled abroad. You would feel the racism. She would not have been appreciated in Nigeria.

• tob

October 18, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Thou shall not come for me lest I send for you. Do not drag me into another person’s comment thread.
      Why won’t she have haters? Enmity is the natural reaction and consequence of HER DECISION to challenge the entire status quo. She was not blackmailed to do this, her hands were forced. This story was going to come out anyway, as a natural course of action to a pre-existing blackmail. Therefore, she decided out of her own volition to come out in front of the story and control the narrative. She took great notes from Olivia Pope and crisis managers.
      People in glass houses do not throw stones. If you CANNOT pass the litmus test, why will you set yourself up to go down in flames on a national stage instead of the privacy of your own backyard?
      No thanks for your advice. To be the change is to toil the road less travelled, which is lonely and difficult as hell. Ain’t nobody got time for that. Been there, done that.
      “I’m sure if you schooled abroad?” Presumptuous much?? Please go to your nearest stadium and have you several seats. Even with this dual citizenship of mine, institutional racism is my daily reality. Ben Carson showed you me the ultimate answer to that when he became chief of neurosurgery. Seest thou a man diligent in his works; he shall stand before Kings and not mean men. As I said in my earlier posts. My fellow Nigerians in the abroad. Face ya book. Our parents did not pay all that money in school fees for us to become social justice warriors. For many of us, we are their retirement plans. Let them reap the fruits of their labor.

• Lim

October 18, 2015 at 8:53 pm

@jay Well Said! Please Tell People Like @tob Who Refuse To Take The Log Out Of Their Own Eyes..cheers

20. PurpleiciousBabe

October 17, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I clicked on this cos of the huge afro….
    who made this same mistake…

21. kehinde

October 17, 2015 at 6:24 pm

What a Beautiful lady. IAppreciate her courage and braveness to be able to come out n fight for rights. It’s very obvious that she will be a great person in life , she has “achieved” but the devil came to kill steal and destroy. May God help her, the devil is a liar

22. femfem

October 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm

I beg I am very sure she did not rape anyone. The way they are making rape in the uk, you pretty much have to have the person sign a contract saying they agree to sex before you do. If someone has sex with you and regrets it the next day, they can now pretty much spin it into rape. This is probably someone who is straight but ended up doing stuff with her drunkenly and regretted it the next day! (Been there).

But to be honest the only person I’m sorry for is her mum. Apparently she is a cleaner. After sacrificing to bring up her daughter alone. She ends up gay. Olorun o ni je ki a ri oooo

23. Lilo

October 17, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Sexual intercourse boundaries are just being redefined and we all need to be careful these days.

This is a real story:

A single Nigerian business man came to do business in Atlanta for a year. Met a Nigerian girl who was well to do. Gorgeous girl who is introvert and single. This is a Chanel bag, Tom ford suit wearing media relations chic who did her work but rarely mingled with Nigerians in Atlanta. You know the vegan, yoga, skiing trip with oyinbo type of Nigerian girl? . Naija man start socializing with this lady, the lady pushed back and didn’t want any fraternizing . This man tried really hard and stopped at nothing to woo her. They got closer. Started dating. No sex. She resisted all his sexual advances. He committed to a relationship with her but refused sex because she didn’t want the emotional burden. His family visited from Nigeria he introduced the girl as his girlfriend. It was time for the guy to relocate back to Nigeria, things got frisky. They had sex. Guy got to Nigeria, started acting funny towards the girl. Dumps her. She went to the police department and filed a police report that the sex was not consensual but under stress and duress. Guess what folks? There is a warrant out for the guy and he can’t come to the US unless he is willing to turn himself in to the police for rape.

It takes one person to feel the sex wasn’t consensual for it to become Criminal. People, Be careful especially in the western world.

24. SOLO ACT

October 18, 2015 at 12:13 am

why did she not shave her armpits in the pic they put in the papers? she looks like a lump of pomo meat! mchew

25. phoenix

October 18, 2015 at 12:22 am

Oh! The devil also sent her 2 get drunk, 2 b gay. Ejo jeka gboron jare. People are inflictin scars on themselves by themselves.

26. hopeful

October 18, 2015 at 12:39 am

That right there would be a mighty weapon against the enemy’s vices in this generation in the hands of God. Annie, I pray that you find the redeeming truth of God’s word and that he reveals a dimension of himself that leads you to your true purpose. God bless you and heal you. Amen.

27. Lala

October 18, 2015 at 10:58 am

When I first read the story, I just hoped she wasn’t Nigerian as It didn’t make sense however kudo’s – where there are great strives or accomplishments it seems Nigerians are usually present.
    The entire thing is spectacular to watch and clearly a case of more that meets the eye. This is either self preservation or self destruction. What happened could be;
    1. Preservation – Damage limitation in a potential rape case. Taking the least of the evil option. In addition, unfortunately her statement implies the other person was weaker further perpetuating ideology she fights against “black people are scary/violent etc’ which I doubt is the actual case. I believe the person for whatever reason had a change of mind and she’s pre-empting the attack. She could actually have been set up.
    2. Self destruction – when you’re too sharp, you cut yourself. She is clearly passionate about her causes and when confronted with the fact she may be guilty of what she protests against, she felt no other option but to confess, albeit to her detriment.
    Nonetheless, people excel is very different ways. If her way is to challenge ideology then so be it. People are scared of intelligent black women especially very vocal black women. I hope she doesn’t allow this to hinder her in any way. She clearly has a lot to offer even if it is just challenging the status quo.

• Lim

October 18, 2015 at 8:57 pm

@Lala Well Said …. This Is exactly What I Have Tried To Convey To The Many Ignorant commentors On This Post …
      Its Always One Or The Other..
      Good For Her!!

• HRH Lizzie F

October 20, 2015 at 11:09 am

she was set up as even cops give u the right to remain silent

28. JAY

October 18, 2015 at 1:46 pm

some intelligent girl u are.. masters..two bsc’s.. phd on d way… way to go !!! cheers

29. JAY

October 18, 2015 at 1:46 pm

thts for tobs star!

• Lim

October 18, 2015 at 9:01 pm

@Jay..thank You Oh .. Like having a Masters And Phd Erases Some Peoples Ignorant Myopic Outlook On Life…every fly and dogs got one of those….little Minded Peoole Like @tob Will always Be So..
      Go On Annie Do You!!

30. Liz

October 18, 2015 at 7:11 pm

sounds as if her accusers are jealous of her position at oxford. you can read their statement here niiwdel.tumblr.com/

31. Jamie

December 19, 2015 at 4:22 am

Wow. Just wow. A sex offender is forced by her victims to confess to rape, and all the ‘social justice warriors’ gather to blame the victims, attack the victims, praise the rapist, and give the rapist enthusiastic encouragements and support.

I guess rape is only bad when committed by a white man, eh?