Scoop

Are Women more Affected by Gender Stereotypes? Watch Ngozi on ‘The Ngee Show’

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

Ngee Show

The Ngee Show is back and on this episode Ngozi talks about female stereotypes and why she feels women are bigger victims in gender stereotyping.

From female drivers to women in the office, Ngozi shares her thoughts on ‘Feminine Stereotype’

Watch.

1. Adenike

October 11, 2015 at 9:20 am

Forgive my long epistle

Yeah so the driver thing irks me on many levels. Even when my dad does it, I’m just like “whatever” in my mind. But there are some women, who drive somehow in all honesty, NOT all women do that. Abi those taxi drivers in Abuja are they women? No!
    2. Some so called feminists annoy me. You cannot choose a season to be feminist, and then another season, you are saying “he’s the man, let him pay for dinner.” The boo’s friend told him one time that he’s lucky I got him gifts, that the girls he’s dated, don’t see why they should get him gifts (birthday, impromptu etc), and are all for the tax collector lifestyle. Now if you are a feminist and fall into that category, stop deceiving yourself. Don’t be a feminist cos you think it’s cool, or in vogue.
    3. I hate when I get stopped some times, because these men, see a woman driving a nice car. At first, I didn’t see it that way, but when it became too frequent, I got appalled. I always carry complete papers, cos nobody can use me to shine. On one occasion, the man after looking at my papers said “you can go, now nobody can intimidate you.” Wetin dat one come mean? On another occasion, man 2 said “you are a pretty girl, are you about to serve, what uni did you go to?”, and because you don’t want to enter wahala, you are sitting there with a plastered smile on your face. Sometimes, I just slow down cos I know I will be stopped.
    4. The part that vexes me most is women discrediting other women. The girl is finer than you, you vex. The girl can do other things better than you, you vex. Sometimes you walk past, and a woman looks you over like she’s buying meat from the market. Haba now! At what age and time. If you cannot give a compliment, just waka pass, don’t insult her. I went to the bank one day, and this lady in customer service that I do not know from anywhere, was giving me serious attitude. Yet she was the one that invited me over to attend to me. I tire for some women. These are secondary school things that should have faded.
    If another woman you don’t know is threatening your breathing space (not like she’s sleeping with your significant other), please look inward, you just might have inferiority complex.

To curb this, I think you start with your immediate family. If you are a mother, treat your son and your daughter equally (as much as you can). Son can go to kitchen and help you out, not all the time shout Bimpe’s name. Even the girl should learn not to be looking for Prince Charming all the time. She can take care of herself. If a guy wants to help her, by all means let her get helped. You know there’ needs to be balance in everything. If you are a sister, encourage your brother to take care of himself, and not expect a woman to become his magic wand. And it goes on like that…

2. Chi

October 11, 2015 at 9:45 am

Great Ngee. .
    Recently my elder sis, her kids and my mum were driving somewhere when they got pulled over by the police. My mum is in her fifties and my sis is in her thirties and a mum of 3 kids…Police men insisted they will only talk to her husband(who wasn’t there oh) to properly explain my sis offence to him because they were sure a woman will not understand the complexity of the issue. My sis refused to call her husband and they refused to let her go. They also refused to talk to my mum who has been driving for years. My mum and sis were delayed for hours cos my sis absolutely refused to call her husband for help. To cut the long story short… They eventually let them go after calling my sis a stubborn woman who doesn’t appreciate the authority and wisdom that only men have.
    This female stereotype issue is deep in Nigeria.

• Are women Aliens???

October 11, 2015 at 1:26 pm

TF did I just read………

• Fantasyisland

October 11, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Isn’t that just sad.

Read my book and dont forget to rate
      okadabooks.com/book/about/10082

3. Juwon

October 11, 2015 at 10:50 am

Is water wet?

4. www.betterhealth.com.ng

October 11, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Yeah, women are more affected by gender stereotype.

5. Nahum

October 11, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Ngeezee I agree with you, especially about the office thing. Women kill our rise in the office. You want to be taken seriously and treated with respect, but you come to the office dressed like a street walker. Or you are on your period and you start crying, shouting that you have a headache and just acting a fool, all for sympathy. Why do we do this isht?? I give kudos to pregnant women in the office, pregnancy is tough on the body and the fact you got your tired bones out of bed to go to work is great. However, chill on the “I am pregnant, I can’t work” trips. If you are not feeling so good, call in sick and have a day of rest. We women need to start behaving ourselves as well.

• molarah

October 12, 2015 at 9:40 pm

As in! You just read my mind on that period thing. And later we women will be complaining of discrimination in the work place. Who will want to hire someone that takes automatic leave or turns useless for one week every month of the year? With all the pain relievers and coping techniques available for dysmenorrhea, you will still find some women turning this into a crutch and an excuse not to do their work. Or the ones that will be forming ‘damsel in distress’ and letting the guys pick up the hard work, and then later complain that they are being passed over for promotion. We women really need to get it together in the workplace, and stop making our gender an excuse for bad behaviour.

6. vivianmorh

October 11, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Is that even a question??? Of course they are. Was driving one day and one young guy was driving rubbish behind me and he eventually hit my car from the back, i didnt want to say anything sef bt people who wia dia including men and women started saying things like women dont know how to drive so i should apologize to him and go and repair my car,,, the guy too was now smilin one stupid smile na xo i vex. He repaired my car and repainted the affected part oooo. The police knw who to talk rubbish to oooo when u see my face and am nt even smiling or looking worried and scared you will just back off ni.

7. Stephanie

October 11, 2015 at 7:06 pm

I’m sorry but this woman’s points are kind of all over the place…. Must everybody have a Vlog and just yak yak away???

8. meserami

October 11, 2015 at 10:29 pm

It’s becoming boring sef eh. Women this women that.

There her many other issues too biko,
    The uncountable homless people in Africa,Europe, n d middle east.

Blacks been killed on a daily basis.
    How human before gender.
    I don’t even take all this stuffs to be interesting cuz I believe people know who they can bully n not.

There are many women like men out there who can’t be bullied when they’re on their right you know.

This thing is a personal issue. It begins with u

9. Melyleby

October 12, 2015 at 1:54 am

I was enjoying this until her accent started doing gymnastics, American here, British there and Nigerian everywhere. My patience ran out when this grown beep woman started saying “Nig#a you need to do something” in overly fake trying way too hard American accent. I just can’t deal mennnn KMT.

• fan stan

October 12, 2015 at 5:26 am

Ah Ah calm down. Nothing fake about her if you’ve watched her videos especially the one about ‘Phonetics’ with Chigurl, you’d know she lived in the US for many years for school. She probably the realest most down to eart Nigerian vlogger. She’s speaking proper ‘Nigerian’ English which has a hint of British (and now in Lagos, everyone sounds British) so I can understand the ‘gymnatics’ I think most of us that have lived all over have flip floppy accents that are not fake #worldcitizens

meanwhile Toke…. jk jk

• Where

October 13, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Are you sure you watched the same video? I watched and her Nigerian accent was pretty consistent to me. The only time she diverged was when she was giving an example and mimicked the character in play. Thank God I watched and did not form my opinion based on the comments. Further proves my theory to never believe what pple say until you see, hear and observe for yourself.

10. Ije

October 12, 2015 at 10:35 am

While I have enjoyed a few of this lady’s vlogs in the past, it should be recalled that this same woman, in one of her earlier vlogs( i.e. when she first began her journey in vlogsville) dedicated an entire webisode to expressing distaste for “fake” accents. She has also tried to school the general public on the merits of good grammar. So is it completely far fetched that I’m stunned at her employ of a distinctly foreign accent in some parts of this particular piece- especially as she is domiciled in Nigeria? And horrified at her use of the word “nigga”?
    Hmmm.