Scoop

Fighting Gender Based Violence! Watch the Trailer for ‘Silent Tears’ Directed by Ishaya Bako

Silent Tears (2) - Poster

A new documentary that focuses on gender-based violence is set to premiere this month.

Silent Tears’, directed by Ishaya Bako, is a documentary that examines and uncovers the truths behind the physical and sexual abuse by law enforcement officials against the citizens of the country and the residents of the Federal Capital Territory.

According to the production team, it also gives a glimpse towards the society’s perception of this abuse on women encouraged by or perpetrated by security officials across the country.

The documentary is on the victimization and abuse of women in Abuja.

Silent Tears (3) - Still Silent Tears (4) - Still Silent Tears (5) - Still Silent Tears (6) - Still Silent Tears (7) - Still Silent Tears (8) - Still Silent Tears (9) - Still

Watch the trailer below.

1. ANigeriansombody

October 7, 2015 at 10:47 pm

Amazing! Thumbs up to this guy. Abuja residents, women especially, have been made to suffer this abuse. I mean if me and my girlfriends can’t freely go for a night out in our own country. It tells a lot about the system and how less women are respected in Nigeria

2. Ides of March

October 7, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Thank you for bringing this issue to the limelight. Instead of offering protection our law enforcement officials choose to harass the citizenry. What a shame Nigerian police! I hope this sets of a reaction that will bring about some desperately needed change.

3. Alexandra Fom

October 8, 2015 at 12:08 am

Ishy B, u are amazing! Bravo!!!!!

4. TrainedActress

October 8, 2015 at 1:33 am

Thank God for art that carries a message, and a powerful one at that. Its about time men and women start speaking up against violence.

5. Somebody

October 8, 2015 at 2:58 am

BN,

Can you please give more coverage an attention to this issue. This is absolutely abonimable! I can just imagine what happens to these women once ‘law enforcement’ picks them up and takes them to God knows where.

God forbid!

Please shed light on this issue.

6. 'lade

October 8, 2015 at 9:10 am

very true!! what is indecent dressing to you is not to me. people are raised differently, i feel very comfortable in short dresses, not because i’m a wayward girl, but because i look at myself in the mirror and i feel pretty. some kids were raised wearing shorts and mini dresses while some families don’t buy the idea. We need to fight this stupid idea that you can say all about a woman just by her dress sense. its wrong!!!

7. nwanyi na aga aga

October 8, 2015 at 9:36 am

You know I am mortified that this “Grace Adogu” is coordinator for Anything for women. Kai! Imagine her submissions, What decent woman would be out by 2am?” so who is soliciting those women? Why did I not see a footage of men being harassed and jailed too? This Grace Adogu is supposed to be striped of that position she holds, her psychological make up is too messed up to function effectively on that role. I am so angry !!! Imagine the imagination..I don’t blame the men, the society has made them ruthless against women, but to hear another woman who is supposedly in charge of child trafficking and women prostitution curbing yarn excessive rubbish is heartbreaking, we still have a long way to go in this country. Wonderful Documentary

• Ifunanya

October 8, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Mortified is an understatement.

Did you hear the part where she mentioned that any woman found at 2am and who cannot explain herself is a prostitute? Chai! The height of ignorance.

And I dare add that ALL MEN found at such times are ‘angels’ guarding over FCT. Mcheww

• Manny

October 9, 2015 at 1:43 am

In fact! I wanted to slap the woman through my laptop.

8. Miss B

October 8, 2015 at 9:37 am

I have experienced this FIRST HAND in Abuja! What you worry about on a night out is not armed robbers but so called law enforcement who harass people. Why do they not pick up men for walking on the street at night? Complete and utter shambles!

9. ElessarisEllendil

October 8, 2015 at 10:51 am

Hopefully this will lead one day to a country where the average citizen can wear camouflage without fear.

10. Mabel

October 8, 2015 at 11:57 pm

So, so sad. When I think that sometimes I choose to work overtime, especially now that Christmas is coming and I want some extra money for gifts, I even get home after 11 and I never have to give one thought that anyone will accost me for being out late on the street. It breaks my heart to see what other women have to deal with in this world just because they were born with a vagina. Imagine we give life to the same ppl who eventually become our oppressors, that is totally fckd up. Can anything be worse than giving life to the very ppl who will oppress you eventually? I can’t think of a damn thing worse. Some of these men are the scums of the earth the way they treat women, when they owe their very existence to a woman. Fck em and I hope they die a miserable death!!!

I really hope the documentary make some rounds on the international film festival circuit. Kudos to the team behind it.

11. nene

October 9, 2015 at 12:43 am

i think they are trying to clean up abuja due to the influx of prostitutes (from in and out of the country) that has been on the rise for a few years, but the point is most prostitutes these days don’t hang around outside, they are in those big hotels and inside someone’s house or hotel room. they need to stop harassing women, whether they are dressed indecent or not. freedom!

• nwanyi na aga aga

October 9, 2015 at 10:48 am

My dear the only effective way to curb prostitution is to stop demand ie Jail men!!! Nne where there is no demand, supply goes away or is channeled to another means. If today men who are found soliciting prostitutes are arrested together with the prostitutes, most guys will shy away from such acts, the street will eventually clear on its own. The real prostitution does not go on streets any more na..The real deal has gone executive tey tey..This is just another means of mad men molesting women with the help of another mad woman who calls her deluded self a coordinator. Coordinator my foot!!

12. jennietobbie

October 9, 2015 at 2:50 am

Are you kidding me.?

13. kiki

October 12, 2015 at 11:05 am

Grace Adogu,this documentary is meant to highlight and eliminate your kind.
    tueh!