Scoop

Genevieve Nnaji’s latest response to the “When will you Marry?” Question

Genevieve Nnaji - BellaNaija - September 2015
Veteran Nollywood actress Genevieve Nnaji still can’t escape the common Naija question, “when will you marry?”

In an interview with Encomium Magazine this week, the single mother was asked when she will get married yet again and she responded, “When he finds me”. The mag further asked if he hasn’t found her yet and she responded in the affirmative, “Exactly”.

The actress with several endorsements – from Etisalat to Amstel Malta, also opened up about her career, especially in regards to why she has seemingly ‘taken a break’ from acting.

“I didn’t take a break. Yes you haven’t seen me in any film but it is not my doing. I read at least three or four scripts a week for the past five years. That is to show you how bad it is. I am very careful when it comes to what I take part in.”

She added that the quality of scripts in Nollywood has fallen, as they are not as challenging as before.

“If I don’t get a good script, I am not going on set. I haven’t seen anything worth my while in years, that is the truth. I don’t know who did what we did in the 90s. If you can’t beat your last job, what is the point? You might as well take a bow but I am not bowing out yet.”

We know our Genny is definitely not ‘bowing out’ anytime soon! You can see the trailers and scoop for her most recent movie, Road to Yesterday by clicking here.

Photo Credit: instagram.com/flawlessfacesbyjane

1. kili

October 27, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Nice response. All these interviewers though, must they ever ask about marriage like it’s the only thing that validates a woman. Nice answers really

2. Stanley

October 27, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Beautiful woman! People should just lay off her.

3. Me

October 27, 2015 at 12:51 pm

“when he finds me” maybe when you leave my dad “he will find uou” I had so much love and respect for her until I found her in bed with my dad, I don’t blame her, I blame my dad but I get annoyed with this innocent public persona she keeps putting up, my mom is heartbroken….

• Jj

October 27, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Honey spill!

• Damilola

October 27, 2015 at 5:58 pm

These commenters were barking at me like angry chihuahua last time when I mentioned Genevieve to go marry instead of putting this innocent persona on like, “she has high standard and has not found the man yet. Meanwhile, she’s messing up other people’s marriages by being a high class mistress. It’s not a secret anymore.
      I’m ok with single women but don’t be sleeping around withe different men and claim, oh I’m waiting for the right man, he hasn’t found me. Of course, he won’t find you when you are on the “D” of different men everytime. And it’s always the same trend of men.
      That’s why I respect linda ikeji when it comes to her being single and successful. She’s not known around to be a mistress or sleeping with different men.

• Osa

October 28, 2015 at 12:27 am

My own is that these double standards aren’t helping women at all. Do you know that there are actors, men in all works of life well over 40 looking for the ‘perfect angel’ to marry. They have defiled, are defiling and will keep on defiling women who are hoping they will be married by these so-called eligible bachelors. they hope to settle for an 18yr old, who would also become a ‘Genevieve’ if she doest hop on the marriage proposal of these old bachelors.

Now ask me, what are these men doing while waiting for Miss ‘Prim, Proper and perfect’? being celibate? or the guys are virgins abi? or they are not leading on several chics at once. pls pls pls. when a single person gets to a certain age, its highly unlikely that they will not have one bed mate or the other. Men sleep around and change women like they change clothes whilst telling the world they haven’t found their soul mate. even after finding their perfect parner, they still cheat serially on their wives. So, don’t kill women when they choose to not ‘go round the bend’ whilst trusting God. Who aint sinned before in one way or the other? pride? theft? made someone feel horrible?

Even Miss Linda Ikeji claiming prim and proper self made b-, Is she a virgin? has she not had boyfriends in the past that she collected money from? did she not sleep with these boyfriends? so they ave her money without sleeping with her abi? the guy who made her walk from Yaba to unilag, had he not given her little bits for nothing prior to the ‘fateful’ incident? Didn’t Linda know he was married when she was collecting the cash however small it was? Did she not beg Dan foster? abeggii. we all sin in different ways. let God be the judge as He is the one who understands everyone’s situation.

• rahyourbinde

October 27, 2015 at 1:04 pm

hmmmmm. don”t use your anonymity to say whatever u like. small small

• nwanyi na aga aga

October 27, 2015 at 1:09 pm

*Clears throat and sits comfortably* Pray sister, what is your father’s name? *sips hot tea as I wait for the ans* Take your time sister, take your time and return with the full yarns..Lol!

• Thatgidigirl

October 27, 2015 at 1:25 pm

lwkmd!!! you killed me with “pray sister….”

• prettyblessed

October 28, 2015 at 10:54 am

hahahahaha Girl you’re cray… mbok when she answers, kindly ping me

• tosin adegbite

October 27, 2015 at 1:16 pm

@Me…. are you for real????

• missappleberry

October 27, 2015 at 1:17 pm

All this kind half half gist sef. I tire! How do we know your dad now? Just spill half gist and exit the comment section like that. Hiss!

• Shandi

October 27, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Me, I don’t believe you. Though I’m not a fan of her, I feel like you’re a colleague or someone she’s not cool with who made this up. I don’t know, but I don’t believe your comment at all.

• Damilola

October 27, 2015 at 6:06 pm

@shandi
      Just wait, till it’s your dad’s turn. But why are people finding it hard to believe Genevieve being a mistress. Is she Jesus that she can’t do no wrong. Don’t let looks fool you. Those who carry themselves like they are so innocent usually have the dirtiest closets. If a rumor is very constant, and it’s been going on for years now. There’s some truth to it. The difference is, Genevieve is not all these random cheap runz girls. She’s the classy type. But folks are quick to attack other Actresses maybe Bcos they dress a certain way or are more open when some of them don’t do half of why Genevieve does to different homes.

• Shandi

October 27, 2015 at 9:14 pm

You can make your point without being completely stupid. You wait till its your own Dad and Uncle’s turn, or even better your bf/hubby. I’m not sure why it’s difficult for you guys to make comments without taking it to a personal level. Such jibberish.

• Laura

October 27, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Wild accusations get us no where, i support the question ”whats your dad’s name?”

• Californiabawlar

October 27, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Such a generic lie! Chill small small now! You found her in bed with your dad?!??? gerrourahia mehn! Sh*t! All these secondary school level bobo gist?

• Tari

October 27, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Sweetheart, this had better be true otherwise it would be so unfair. Genny babes, I love you, but why why why? Is this what you are doing when not working? You see why Uche Jombo , Nse and all the other hustlers have more respect. It is not the marriage issue but looking for clean money.

• Woe to Strange women

October 27, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Oh my goodness. I can understand the pain your mum must feel. I remember when my dad was still cheating on my mum. I was so upset I picked a Psalm in the Bible full of curses and was cursing the women who won’t leave my dad alone and I knew these women were all for the money. I started praying about my parents marriage; my mum had become too frustrated and vexed to pray about it again. I remember prayer against strange women was my first prayer request when I went to MFM prayer city for deliverance.

To God’s glory, all the strange women are gone and my dad has totally given his life to Christ. But it took some stormy tides even in his own life for that to happen.

To all the women sleeping with other women’s husbands and destroying homes, please just STOP. If you are not available to the men, they won’t mess around with you. And if you delight in destroying homes, the peace, joy, and harmony you steal from these homes will also cease from your life in Jesus name.

• K

October 28, 2015 at 1:08 am

I feel so bad that I can’t get myself to hate Genny after this “revelation.” I mean she slept with “me’s” dad…I’m supposed to hate her and boycott her films but I can’t seem to get November 27 (the opening date of the film she’s promoting “Road to Yesterday”) off my reminder. :-S

I hate you……. GENNYYY!!!!!! Look what you did to “me”.On a lighter note, I can’t help but wonder who else “me” would catch in bed with dad. 😉

• smackdown

October 28, 2015 at 3:16 am

A woman’s gotta eat lmaooo

• linda

October 28, 2015 at 4:04 am

We are still camped here waiting for your response oo. You found her in bed with your dad and what happened. Did you raise an alarm, take pictures, drag her out? Where did you even catch them. In a hotel, at your house? And who is this father of yours. Continue your tale naa

4. ACE

October 27, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Perfect respond! Beautiful girl.

5. nene

October 27, 2015 at 1:13 pm

most people who know, know the real truth why genevieve is not really concerned about marriage. it’s her life, who am i to judge anybody. i hope her new movie is good, i’ll like to see it.

6. Paul Babalola

October 27, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Stupid question from the journalist. Not everybody will marry. They should just stop this stereotype.

7. Oluchi Winifred

October 27, 2015 at 1:19 pm

in bed with your dad or nt.. i fyl dis nt the appropriate place u say such.. moreover.. they are adults and responsible for their actions.. b calm yh…

8. maameks

October 27, 2015 at 1:28 pm

@me,,you found her in bed with your dad?and what was your next line of action?you took pictures or you kept it cool till now?madam let her breath ok?if only what you saying is the truth why wont you confront her woman to woman than to spew this about her on the internet?only God knows who you are also in bed with….if its the truth talk to your papa to leave Genny alone…….#offtolunchyouareinvited#

• Sandra

October 27, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Maameks abeg Dont mind the stupid lil bitch @me
      Grown Sensible adults should just ignore such foolish statement
      Dont come up in here to make such a statement if you dont have proof
      So you think we are all so DUMB AND FOOLISH like you that you just make a statement “she slept with my dad”: and we will all believe you. And look at the idiots also clicking like as though there were there. MSchewwwww. You are full of shyt, go and tell the WITCHES THAT SENT YOU you did not accomplish what you wanted to accomplish. STUPID IDIOT. If your father is a whore screwing women left right and center, dont involve Genevieve. So your stupid father was having sex and you just badged into his room and saw it, and then what happened. Liar. And everybody know you are the same person changing screen names and continuously posting nonsense about Genny to tarnish her reputation and she is doing something positive and promoting her movie – Satan Girl. This is why your blessing will for ever be blocked – cos you are evil and tarnish peoples reputation with LIES. YOU ARE CURSED that is why your prayers wont be answered

ehen,so what were we saying. Yes genny nice interview great matured answers. I definitely look forward to this movie .

• Shandi

October 27, 2015 at 4:46 pm

You don’t have to call her a bitch and be super aggressive to make your point. Don’t understand some of you and I’m unsure as to why BN posted your comment. Some of you lack etiquette.
      You must personally know Genny to be this hostile. Relax!
      I mean, me might be her colleague, or someone Genny knows who hates Genny, and at the same time, it might be right, who knows? But don’t be unnecessarily insulting.

• Osa

October 28, 2015 at 1:40 am

sandra, by cursing out, you are just as guilty. we also cannot prove that you are not genevieve herself trying to launder her revealed skeletons in her cupboard. dont curse. if people have proof, pls bring it out. there is no one that will not be mad at any woman sleeping with their father behind their mother’s back, if the story is true.

• TtueTalk

October 28, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Hello Sandra, take it easy please. God is all seeing. You dont have to use such strong words,

• TrueTalk

October 28, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Hello Sandra, you dont have to use such strong words. Take it easy please.

9. concerned

October 27, 2015 at 1:55 pm

“Where is your empirical evidence?” in Oby Ezekwesili’s voice.
    Otherwise, “why the f- you lying? Why you always lying? Mmm, omg. Stop f-ing lying” is all I have to say to you

• concerned

October 27, 2015 at 1:57 pm

@me “Where is your empirical evidence” in Oby Ezekwesili’s voice. Otherwise, “why the f- you lying? Why you always lying? Mmm, omg! Stop the f-ing lying..” is all I have to say to you.

• YoungandConfusedAfrica

October 27, 2015 at 2:33 pm

hehehehehheheheheheheheh Aswear.. This is my Top B.N comment of the year! Really?! You just had to ba?! @ Song 🙂

• Idomagirl

October 28, 2015 at 12:12 am

???

10. PACE

October 27, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Questions like this is a major reason why people feel under so much pressure to marry and go ahead to make wrong decisions. Let’s remember a marriage is a life-long commitment except in the case of a divorce. No one should give in to pressure and make a wrong decision. Friends, family members and the rest who take it upon themselves to mount pressure on you to get married won’t be there picking up the pieces when things don’t work out in your marriage. Besides, marriage isn’t for everyone and it should not be the yardstick for measuring how responsible one is. Contribution towards development, achievements, relevance in the society etc should be the yardstick. Only in Nigeria and other third world countries will you be perceived as irresponsible when you’re of a certain age and not married. It’s about time we change our views on the subject matter.

11. MsTiLii

October 27, 2015 at 2:42 pm

And I agree with you Genny 100%
    The quality of movie scripts has definitely fallen in Nollywood as i have said time and time again . I miss the good ole days (vhs movies) where although the sound and picture quality were not as good , the scripts were on point,

And I agree with you Genny – do not let anyone pressure you, If the script sucks dont accept it no matter how much money you are offered. I will much rather see you in one great movie every year, than 10 crap movies in every year. If we the audience and movie watchers (as well as the actors) dont put their foot down and say no to mediocrity, we will be forever bombarded with nonsense We are more than 20 yrs in and should not be here. We dont want QUANTITY and part 1 to 100 with ridiculous TITLES – cmon sometimes i feel its joke the titles i read. . We want quality. You cant tell me you make a movie and wrap up in 2 weeks or less and expect it to be quality whereby you are even skipping editing – and not even spelling the names of the actors correctly. Let me not get started on new actors/actresses we are seeing..

I always say that i think Many of the “great” actors/actresses in Nollywood and Ghana have hit a glass ceiling. There are not enough movie makers to challenge them enough, so i can see why they are all saying no to scripts brought to them and we are not seeing them as much in movies. And i 100% support them. Martin Scorcese challenged Leonardo from movie to movie to movie. Leo from “Whats Eating Gilbert Grape” has grown tremendously as an actor as compared to Leo in “Wolf of Wall Street , and all thanks to the challenge of the movie makers (eg directors). Even in our ordinary 9 to 5 jobs we like to be challenge in order to grow from year and not doing the same thing over and over again.

Enough of the Royal Movies, Enough of the Campus Movies, Enough of the Evil Forest movies and especially enough of the Westernised movies, – if i want to watch a black american movie i know where to find it, I dont want to watch african movie where they are slanging and copying the Black American kind of movies – biggest pet peeve – This is why i stick to village movies like old classics , at least there are no pretense with that one, There are thousands of untold stories in Africa that are yet to be put on screen . Matter of fact i was just discussing with a friend how I wish all the African Writer stories such as PACESETTERS NOVELS will be turned into a movie. “MOST” movies coming out lately are so ridiculous, there is no point in wasting time reviewing it.

I really miss the old nollywood. This is why i am glad to read on here on BN today that “Living in Bondage is being remade”. Hopefully the remake is good and better..

Good Luck Genny with your new movie. We look forward to supporting you and watching it and reviewing it.. I am excited to see Chigul 🙂

MsTiLii
    (African Movie Reviewer)

12. Arin

October 27, 2015 at 2:46 pm

@me is very right. she was dating my dad’s friend at some point. Chick ain’t got time for broke men.

• linda

October 27, 2015 at 3:08 pm

And what is the name of your father’s “so called” friend. If you can mention Genevieve’s name, you can surely mention the name of this family friend right?? These comments don’t take anything away from Genevieve. They only add to her popularity. So please, by all means, continue (in Patience Jonathan”s voice)

• So

October 27, 2015 at 3:08 pm

And why should she? If she does that, you and all the haters will still come here and drag her for being broke or dating a broke dude. Let her do her. If you want to date broke men thats your plate of kpomo.

• Krasavitsa

October 27, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Oooohoooo! You people should spill this gist already! I’m tired of sipping cold tea. Who are all these nameless daddies? Ok don’t name names, just give us hints and we BN folks will figure it out 😉 *still sipping cold tea*
      PS; all you Genny-Voltrons should leave the potential tea-spillers alone! Her alleged messing around with nameless-daddies doesn’t detract from the fact that she’s a talented actress and a beautiful person with an alleged attraction to people’s fathers. 😀

13. RIFF RAFF

October 27, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I don’t hate Genny, but not impressed. Linda Ikeji impresses me more. I pity any promising young man who will sleep with these actresses or billionaire wives married to their ancestors. They will drain his blessings and reduce him to nothing… These luxury escorts (yes i said it) sleep with high profile people that deal a lot with forces of darkness. Don’t be fooled by the instagram “glam”. Sexually transmitted juju plenty inside their body.
    In Wendy Williams’ voice:
    Yes, we all have a past. It’s just that when your past is so pronounced…hmmm. Sometimes, somebody’s past is so passed around. Do u want to marry a woman who has been passed around that much?
    Why is it then, that our very own fine, eligible, entreprising,educated (but very judgmental) igbo brothers are not even in a hurry to marry this delectable woman? You want to tell me they have stones in their eyes? Or are they intimidated?by who? someone that has been passed like kolanut by top ogas ?
    All of u ladies being so sentimental here, let me ask you a question and tell yourselves the truth:

Forget the Beauty,so-called class,fame etc . Na PR. How would u feel if your son brought home somebody’s “mistress” or a politician’s side-piece? How would you feel if your son brings a woman who’s been correctly ran down by politicians, presidential aides, TELECOMS BOSS, vice-president ,alleged anal frolickings that sent her to the hospital,rumoured stories of unhealthy sexual practices following her everywhere .
    Yes she has her own businesses now, she is “successful”, but she paid the price from “behind” and many other “prices” to get to where she is today and sustain that her “glam life”
    Young girls, are u ready to pay that “price”?

• Lara

October 27, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Whats your name again? Riff Raff….

• RIFF RAFF

October 27, 2015 at 4:20 pm

well yes. It’s not ass-licker, nor candy, nor blind famzer for sure.

• linda

October 27, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Thank you for the dissertation Sir/Ma. And to Genevieve, keep your head up Ma. That which did not make you cannot destroy you with mere words and accusations. I am very much impressed with your work and your drive.

• RIFF RAFF

October 27, 2015 at 4:18 pm

*blushing* oh you’re very welcome, darling. I always stay true to myself….

• Bruness

October 27, 2015 at 3:49 pm

@ RIFF RAFF mmmmhhh!!!! In Wendy Williams voice. Look what happened to anty Ini E…. if you want to be the lady of the night be the lady of the night and leave the boring married tin for waifish and miss goody two shoes. waiting for him to find you #tsk #tsk

• AW

October 27, 2015 at 4:55 pm

“Do you want to marry a woman who has been passed around that much”. No. Emmmm, but what of men who have slept around so much? Are we also allowed to exclude them from the marriage mart? Just asking.
      I think ( just a suggestion, you don’t have to get your panties in a twist!) that they too should be excluded, at least to create a level playing or marrying field. After all what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
      Moreover the man is the head and being in a position of authority, should lead by example, so women as followers can follow submissively.

14. Jojo

October 27, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Damn! Have a glass of water hun

15. Beeeee

October 27, 2015 at 3:20 pm

@ME, so she slept with your dad huh? What is your dad’s name? It is very wicked of you to come here and accuse this woman like this. You have exposed her but you are keeping your dad’s identity secret, Really? If it’s true, was she in the bed by herself? Since you want to wash your “dirty linen” in public, you can also release your real name and your mum’s name as well. Na wa. for you o.

16. ENNY**

October 27, 2015 at 4:12 pm

When will you marry? this year or next year, second forever… I love the juciness that comes from the diversity of the BN fam. Lol. This is good…hehehehehee

17. Obinna

October 27, 2015 at 4:32 pm

They ask me the same question and I would pause and respond in unwavering terms, “When the time comes I will send you my iv”. God is the perfect matchmaker, not societal pressures. Visit my inspirational blog: obinnaonyenali.blogspot.com

18. Moyo

October 27, 2015 at 5:52 pm

@me, just give us hints, like a former Vice President, former CBN Governor, a Senator, or former Governor from the South South, we can decode ourselves

19. Really?

October 27, 2015 at 7:09 pm

@ me, did you walk in on them having sex in your house or the hotel because I really doubt that Genevieve would be stupid enough to follow a married man home.

20. lyl

October 27, 2015 at 7:16 pm

I hear u! Caught ur dad in bed with Genevieve! U deserve to win the Joseph of our time award!If this ur tori na true,u wld have been a blogger by now,telling dat one story over n over,with video,pics et al! Dream on but u go sleep/dream tire cos it can only happen in ur dream.

• Nini

October 27, 2015 at 10:51 pm

???????????

21. Abk

October 27, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I remember when I was very young, I wasn’t even a teenager then, 10/11 years ago, there was this rumor then that she was having an affair with Atiku Abubakar. Don’t know the authenticity of the story but it was public news at the time.

22. Umbrella

October 27, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Omo I don refresh this page tire…[email protected] me and Arin, so una still never give details of the dad or the dad friend? una dry jor!

23. chris ugonna

October 27, 2015 at 11:08 pm

i’love 2 marry gene.
    yes 4 her money & beauty.
    she is so beautiful & has de size & shape of my dream woman.

• Jj

October 28, 2015 at 4:08 am

Broke guy-for “money, shape and size”. Geez did I. Just dignify you by calling you a guy? Gold digging she male. How old are you? Who raised you? What happened to the brain, hands and legs God gave you? What emptiness. Not even for her talent. Don’t worry you’ll find your match to marry. Lazy thing bringing shame to Nigerian men. Your mates are working hard you are looking for rich babe. Nonentity. You are a shame to Real ibo men. Tufiakwa!

24. linda

October 28, 2015 at 12:48 am

@ Damilola back again I see. Why don’t you help @me and @arin name the faceless daddies Genevieve is sleeping with and the circumstances in which she was caught sleeping with them since you happen to know so much about Genevieve’s life. Prove your point.

25. Gold

October 28, 2015 at 2:14 pm

What’s the big deal in being a mistress ? me I don’t mind being a rich man’s mistress o! No body holy pass! Their wives too were once mistresses as well in one way or the other, I wish to be in Genny’s shoes right now!

26. G. M. Dafeyna

October 29, 2015 at 8:02 am

Why the trouble of when will you marry Glenn?
    For God’s sake, she is old enough to make her own decisions. Whether to get married or stay single as long as she wants.
    After all, she has a daughter to her credit. Life hasn’t dealt with her badly.