News

Lagos Banker Arrested for Using Forged WASSCE & University Results to Gain Employment

BellaNaija.com

MAKANJUOLA

Lagos State police have arrested a 26-year-old banker named  Daniel Makanjuola, for using a forged West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) and Lagos State University (LASU) statement of result to secure employment at the Marina Branch of Wema Bank Plc.

According to Punch:

The police said Makanjuola had paraded himself as a degree holder in marketing with Second Class, Upper Division, before his arrest.

He was also said to have tendered a forged National Youth Service Corps discharge certificate and a reference letter to the bank. He claimed to have obtained the letter from United Bank for Africa, his purported former workplace.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the suspect, who hails from Ijero Local Government Area in Ekiti State, had joined the bank in 2013, before he was sacked in July 2015 after the documents were confirmed to be fake.

It was gathered that the fraudulent act was discovered after the management sent a letter to the UBA to verify the genuineness of the reference letter. The UBA was said to have denied knowledge of Makanjuola and the letter.

Our correspondent learnt that the discovery prompted the bank to write West African Examinations Council and LASU, which also disclaimed the results. The suspect was arrested after the case was reported at the Lion Building Police Station.

Makanjuola reportedly confessed stating, “I am actually a National Diploma holder. I secured the fake WASCE and LASU results, using a search engine and CorelDraw application. I scanned an NYSC certificate and used some applications to edit it. I did it in order to put an end to the suffering of my poor family. I am the only son of my father. I want the authority to be compassionate with my case. I was only trying to live a better life.”

Photo Credit: Punch

1. whocares

October 20, 2015 at 3:24 pm

So, he did a Buhari huh?

• Ovadje

October 20, 2015 at 4:20 pm

LMAO! Was just about to ask the same question. I don’t support fraud o, but we are still waiting to see PMB’s certificate, not to mention all of the legislators and even the occasional deputy-governor accused of certificate forgery, and the police are bothering with this small fry.

• Smith

October 20, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Yoruba fraudster. Yes I said it. Lol!

• Beebee

October 21, 2015 at 10:18 am

Oga,is your tribe the best?Am not supporting him but had to reply u for ur stupid comment.

• Kohlah

October 20, 2015 at 11:46 pm

I just want to know one thing- was he good at his job?

• temz

October 21, 2015 at 5:36 am

same thing i want to know!
      The HR recruiters should be INVESTIGATED/SUSPENDED as well, how do you employ someone without proper verification? A BANK FOR THAT MATTER!! what if the guy was a SCAMMER for real?

Naija is just a messed up country.

• Oyin

October 21, 2015 at 1:06 am

Crime is crime and what he did is absolutely wrong. However, it pains me, yes “pains” that BIG criminals ruling the country committed and still commiting different level of crimes are not arrested let alone put in jail.

2. Fafo

October 20, 2015 at 3:34 pm

For the Yoruba folks out there, his surname ‘makanjuola’ surely contradicts his action.

• ATL's finest

October 20, 2015 at 3:42 pm

@ Fafo lol hmm The YORUBA’S are about to set U on fire @ Damilola where are U? Well anyone can do such. I mean this isn’t the first time someone is doing this in Nigeria. I bet whoever sold these results to him must be an insider. I’m just wondering how much it cost him hehehehe:)

• Koffie

October 20, 2015 at 5:02 pm

You actually missed the point Fafo was passing in your eagerness to see a tribalistic comment where there was none. The name ‘Makanjuola’ means “Do not be in a hurry to acquire wealth” and it contradicts the guy’s plead that he did it cos of what what. He basically went against his name and got caught. No tribal yab there.
      If you were not itching for a tribal war though, I apologise for writing it.

• ATL's finest

October 21, 2015 at 1:34 am

First I was not looking for a tribal war neither do I know d meaning of that word. Well thnx for letting me know

• Toes

October 20, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Imagine this being done by an igbo person…

• lali

October 20, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Don’t mind them o. Now that its a yoruba person they’ve all feigned absence. Hypocrites.

• IFO

October 20, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Thanks Koffie.

• FaFo

October 20, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Thanks @Koffie..

• George

October 21, 2015 at 2:46 am

Just checking the name…oh okay, he’s from yolube

3. Chidi

October 20, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Well i list He did not carry guy, but it wrong to fake your real self, because you never can tell the level you would have reached being you. Makanjola no excuse face the Law

4. kk

October 20, 2015 at 3:47 pm

I do not condone fraudulent actions or dishonest people, however, as opposed to arresting him/throwing him in jail, i think these are the kinds of people the bank needs to employ in their fraud department. He will be a good asset as he will be able to decipher fake from real.

• Gbadebo Amin

October 20, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Lol…

• Author Unknown

October 20, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Decipher fake from real? Someone that couldn’t successfully do it for himself should be employed in the fraud prevention department? A good fraudster would have gotten the REAL certificates issued by LASU and NYSC. Fraud ‘get’ levels, though I condone none.

5. Beeeee

October 20, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Let me start by saying, I do not condone this kind of behaviour. I am curious to know though, was he doing a good job as a banker? Were there any complaints about him? Was money missing? I am sure millions of Nigerians can relate to the kind of desperation this young man felt. Unless money was missing, arresting him is a bit much in my opinion. Like @kk said, he could be an asset to them in some other way.

• Gbadebo Amin

October 20, 2015 at 4:11 pm

What nonsense are you on about?… A crime ia a crime young man or lady. So we should condone fraud, impersonation and forgery cos of your shallow thinking? Go sak garri and kulikuli joh..,#yawns…

• Beeeee

October 20, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Sorry darling, only adults can comment here. Thanks

• Depeche M

October 20, 2015 at 4:34 pm

You are a fool for real

• Random

October 21, 2015 at 3:28 am

Gbadebo don’t mind Beeee, by their comments we shall know them. Imagine if it was a doctor with forged documents if he or she would also feel the same way. A crime is a crime indeed.

• P*ssy juice...

October 20, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Your comment is so dumb & unrealistic though, don’t attempt to justify yourself. If that is your way to reason as an adult, I’d rather be a teenager. Flush out your brain adult and get abreast with the law. Ignorance ain’t no excuse fa…’ja-da-nu jo’

• Diuto

October 20, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Dis ya name sha…… Meanwhile you want us to read you comment with a serious face?

• Ovadje

October 20, 2015 at 4:23 pm

He was already “stealing” money by being there with forged papers.

• Beeeee

October 20, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Hi Ovadje…yeah I know, he was stealing technically by being there with forged papers. I’m just curious to know how he was as a worker. Believe me, I am not holding brief for him in any way. In civilized courts, it could help his case and prove that desperation led him to this criminal act.

• Random

October 21, 2015 at 3:31 am

Beeee, please give up….there are many desperate people out there who don’t resort to crime…if you want to be humane, feel sorry for the law abiding hustlers instead or even moreso do not defend someone who cheats those who have paid their dues.

• my take

October 21, 2015 at 9:54 am

@Ransome, the guy was only hustling in his own way…….at least he didnt kill anyone, he worked and earned a pay…..legit

• my take

October 21, 2015 at 9:56 am

sorry, random

• Beeeee

October 20, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I for the life of me cannot understand why people cannot respond to comments without hurling insults, its my opinion, whether or not you like it. “madam Juice, You say my comment is not realistic, I accept. That’s your opinion. Enjoy your day.

• honey

October 20, 2015 at 6:29 pm

It is a crime to falsify documents

• Beeeee

October 20, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Hi honey, yes I agree it’s a crime. Just thinking outside the box. If for example he were taken to court and a lenient judge found out that he was doing a good job as a banker, she could actually believe that he was just trying to earn a living out of desperation. I am just looking at the situation from a human perspective and not a legal one. Have a great evening dear

• Shame

October 21, 2015 at 2:56 am

@ Beeeee If he was so desperate he should’ve gone to get himself a university degree. What about the tons of qualified and deserving people that he deprived an opportunity at that job?

Our moral fiber and value system is at an all time low. When we begin to make excuses for people who throw out sob stories and try to justify their deceitful behavior by playing the victim card.

We should have zero tolerance for any type of fraud because there are people out there paying their dues and working their butts through school so they too can take care of their families.
      The struggle is real for many of us and so anyone who tries to cut corners or jump the queue at another persons expense deserves no pity!

• Beeeee

October 21, 2015 at 8:41 am

@Shame, good morning, all your points are valid and I agree with them. Please understand the point I am trying to make, I am not saying he was right in any way. I have a Masters Degree and it was not an easy task so I understand the argument about him taking a job from someone who might have struggled to finish school.. Even some people who killed human beings are granted parole sometimes. He committed a crime, I am not disputing that. I am talking about restitution.

• my take

October 21, 2015 at 10:00 am

he got an education that probably he could afford. ok even if there were others with the right qualification at that job, they all went in for the interview, and he got the job. the certificate was his limitation not his brain, he just needed a window into the interview panel to show his worth

• Ovadje

October 21, 2015 at 2:49 pm

@my take, a false certificate is like fake boobs, people see and hear you in a different light.

6. Dee Spice

October 20, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Hmmnnnm.Fadaka of life!!!! If you meet this guy, u can never doubt his degree! Scammer lomo…

7. naijaflo.com

October 20, 2015 at 4:03 pm

If he can be smart to do this , he should have been to finish school.
    naijaflo.com

• ATL's finest

October 20, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Lol abi! He’s trying to live a better life but I know folks who work on a farm land & hawk items to train themselves in school. So if the fund wasn’t there, been determined to geta degree would ve paid off in the long run. I PRAY the good lord take away poverty from your family IJN

8. P*ssy juice...

October 20, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Olu wile market has struck yet again…na there akin work be this fa…

9. P*ssy juice...

October 20, 2015 at 4:18 pm

”oluwole market” has struck yet again, na there kain work be this fa..

10. tofeko Babs

October 20, 2015 at 4:31 pm

What he did was wrong no doubt but Punch putting this out simply cracks me in a country where 78 million Naira for website is being acceptable.

11. Joke

October 20, 2015 at 5:21 pm

What he did was wrong, but not not done. The question is, did he do a good job? He just wanted a chance. Requiring many of these degrees is just a way to eliminate people and nothing more. If I owned a bank and found out he did no wrong on the job, I would hire him. Let him/her who is without sin cast the first stone. Padding resumes, forging certificates is very rampant even in the US that has very unreasonably hire standards in everything and the thought process is fake it till you make it, as long as you don’t get caught. If you don’t do some form of “padding,” a million others do and will continue to do and move right ahead of you without blinking an eye and you will be there eternally in the new “slavery cotton field” called retail. People use it as a stepping stone and move on with life…Please don’t crucify the man.

12. Tomi

October 20, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Hahahaha! When you’ve watched too much of ‘Suits’!

13. confession

October 20, 2015 at 5:34 pm

I am equally as guilty as this guy, some of you yabbing nonsense have never been in a very desperate situations. Its easy to judge when you are not in someone else shoe. I have written waec 7 times and ddidnt make maths which lead to my desperation and i was 28 at the time.. not that i wasnt brilliant or something but maths was just a jinx to admission every year.

I equally did what he did in relsting to the waec certificate to gain admission but i had to lell my coordinator the whole truth , he asked me to enrol for the exsm genuinely that he will help me to work on it meanwhile i was in my final year now.

I had to enrol for GCE this year and im hoping my result will be good.

So stop judging and condemning behind the computer when some of you are worse off. I sincerely sympathise with the guy. I just pray the law be lenient with him

• Beeeee

October 20, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Good luck on your results Hun… I pray it all works out for you. It is well with youb

• Author Unknown

October 20, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Just maths?

• Puzzles

October 20, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Sorry about your situation but this your coordinator, say the honest truth, is he ‘helping’ you for free?

Let’s be sincere to ourselves, there’s no excuse for cheating or forging certificates. I know people like you who by their final clearance were not successful, hence their whole four years wasted. To save face, they claim to be graduates whereas they are not. I have a friend who on her Facebook page claimed she graduated from UNILAG 2007 whereas i know its a BIG lie.

I remember a young lady who presented a fake UNICAL certificate when we were both screened to write an aptitude test. She was sent out. I could feel the embarrassment.

I have an aunt who was fired from her job as an assistant manager in a bank when it was discovered that her documents were fake. How they didn’t realize from the time she got the job as an executive trainee till she was promoted to AM i have no idea. The humiliation wasn’t funny.

I think it’s best to be honest in all things, including our qualifications to avoid any humiliation tomorrow.

14. FaFo

October 20, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Thanks @Koffie…

15. lali

October 20, 2015 at 6:49 pm

When it’s a yoruba person all of you understand and some even defend his actions. But let it be an igbo guy now and suddenly he will be the spur of the devil himself. It will all of a sudden be how they all are as a tribe, and no it will not be out of desperation..it will be out of greed. Silly people.

• thirdeye

October 20, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Bros/aunty abeg shift with your tribalistic approach to issues. Must you tribal conundrum up?
      This says a lolt abt your perception and mental configuration. When will some nigerianshet paast this tribe hating and mudslinging

• Lali

October 20, 2015 at 8:32 pm

It will happen when your fellow Yoruba people stop attacking the igbos. You start something and then ask when it will stop. You can’t be serious

• thirdeye

October 20, 2015 at 10:33 pm

I see hate in your physe. PLEASE GROW UP.
      I wont stoop so low to trade words with you. God help your saddist self.

I am igbo

16. papaadex

October 20, 2015 at 6:50 pm

This is consequence of our weak structure .There are many people like Mankjuola in our political offices , siphoning national wealth with fake result while genuine holders are hopelessly living in the street .

17. No name

October 20, 2015 at 8:01 pm

I don’t condone crime. But like kk said he could be usefulbto them in some other dept. I remember very well few years back in US where someone reported after three yrs that she noticed 1cent gets deducted from her account everu other month. The bank investigatec it and realised the cleaner hacks into their system every night he worked and transfers 1cent from like 100 customers to his account every other day. Guess what this bank did? employed the guy.

18. MC

October 20, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I’m just wondering why it took the bank almost 2 years to get his references….

• TAM

October 20, 2015 at 11:21 pm

I thought I was the only one who noticed. In my understanding reference-checking is part of the recruitment process. The bank slacked on this one. If it’s standard practice it makes one wonder about the capability of some of the people we entrust our monies to…

19. J.J

October 20, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Well Yoruba and scam are like brother and sister, odikwa risky.
    But on a more serious note, They shouldn’t have arresedt this guy because many are in different offices in Nigeria today with fake everything . So why wouldn’t they start arresting people from the Top down?

• Anony

October 21, 2015 at 5:19 am

Just like Igbo and drugs.

20. mini

October 20, 2015 at 11:42 pm

i really dont even blame this guy. This country constantly fails its citizens! i finished my ba & msc with 2:1 from top universities in uk yet no job, all because you have to be connected! it is well!

• Shame

October 21, 2015 at 3:05 am

@ mini , how ironic that you don’t blame him…..there are tons like him out there who are filling spaces that people like YOU should have…..now the system has succeeded in weeding one out and look at your genius statement. Did Makanjuola have any connections?….How can we ever move forward if you tolerate such behavior? It’s one person at a time ….

• mini

October 21, 2015 at 12:05 pm

There is absolutely no working system in nigeria, He did what it takes to survive. Am i willing to do what it takes? time will tell…..

• Ovadje

October 21, 2015 at 2:45 pm

@Shame, thank you! @mini, if you have a 2:1 from “top universities in the UK” and cannot get a job in Nigeria where employers virtually worship even dullards with a US or UK degree, then you had better check the mirror! Introspection can sometimes be more useful than connections.

21. Tee

October 21, 2015 at 8:24 am

Fraud is fraud! Whether you are in Naija or abroad working with somebody’s doc or fake doc in US or UK. So for everyone that has a family member abroad engaged in such activity, biko warn them too and don’t collect proceeds from such criminal.

• my take

October 21, 2015 at 10:15 am

please please, infact abegi, all of you ranting, when most of you have falsified their age just to be relevant in the labour market.

22. Tee

October 21, 2015 at 8:28 am

@Laali make sure you tell those folks in Germany, Holland, Austria, UK and US doing the same. And don’t accept gifts from them this Christmas. Fraud is fraud.

23. SEYI

October 21, 2015 at 8:42 am

@shame God bless ya! At least we’ve got one person thinking from both sides of the aisle, and yet still coming to the right, justified conclusions. To a large extent, in a multiplier effect, environments determine the context, initiative or innovation for aspiration or ambition in any given set of people. Basically whatever attitudes are being condoned or encouraged by any society, always has the tendencies to spiral and exponentially propagate to greater measures.
    We are as the general wider society carry a great deal of leverage when it comes to influencing and reinenforcing social moores. Yes we do emphatize with the country’s economic let-downs, but that above all else should buttress our will to pull out from whatever negative situations thrust upon us in the right ways. Before, in the good old days, certain good values were applauded and encouraged, to the extent, you couldn’t get married without one, (dem for research your family first, if hin papa na verified thief, then forget it!), get a job, or be looked upon as a worthy member of society. And that reflected even into the music and films of those days. Constrast all that to the present day, when the ‘children of men’ will go to the east for christmas and newyear, and everybody is only interested in chopping your money, who cares if you killed your sweet mama, or engaged prior in armed bank robbery in lasgidi! Dem go even give you another wife from their daughters to marry sef! Stop encouraging b.s, doing things the right way can only help us as a society in the long and short run, coz you wanna be sure your doctor knows his onions, and didn’t skip med skull, and needs to be consulting wikipedia everytime for your diagonsis, as you lay bleeding on the operating slab. Or the accountants don’t run down your company. OMG God forbid your lawyer on your murder case skipped skul. In conclusion, to the young man, who’s failed waec a dozen times coz of maths, seriously skul is not for everybody. Check your priorites, if you are only going to skul so as to become wealthy, you may be on a long thing, consider a vocation instead, Gucci and Richard Branson don’t have university degrees. Consider that schooling exists as to give your mind and creativity a just platform. The real shizni starts after skul. And if you just like education, then don’t give up or cut corners, God dey for you, double down on your maths, it wasn’t invented on mars!

24. Anon

October 21, 2015 at 8:43 am

You falsify certificates to get a job,
    You swear affidavit for a reduced age to get a job,
    You lie to a man so he will marry you,
    You lie to a woman so she will agree to marry you,
    You lie about your job/income/pedigree to get admitted into a particular social circle,
    …and the list goes on and on. Then tomorrow,
    when your son doesn’t have the right certification, you will advise him to forge it,
    when your daughter is too old to get the job, you will help her get a false sworn affidavit,
    when your friend’s background is shameful, you will advise her to lie so she can get married,
    …and the list goes on and on.
    People lie and deceive each other everyday, before you crucify this man, check yourself. What he did was wrong, but how really is it different from what you have been doing, or is it because you have not gotten caught?

Selah!

25. Sadia

October 21, 2015 at 9:33 am

Pls the real issue at hand here is the poverty in Nigeria. Did you read his reason??????? Fix the root cause of the problem : unemployment!if this guy had found a decent job ,he would never stress himself to forge.its all because hes desperate. Nigerians are sufferinggg

26. nene

October 21, 2015 at 10:18 am

many people working in this country and around the world use fake cv’s, which is why the interview is very important in recruiting employees.

27. mabel

October 21, 2015 at 1:12 pm

When you have a president without certificate.

28. shay

October 25, 2015 at 9:54 pm

This guy did this shit for himself for a better living, he’s not a Yahoo+ nor a 419, he never armed any1 nor defraud wema bank and is not wanted by the police neither is he a fugitive now you all out to mock him, many youths in Nigeria today are tired of living because they need a better future. so this guy needs encouragement rather than bulling ,our leaders ain’t better of him and they are celebrated. hevis just a victim of circumstance. inbuilt potentials is greater than certificates. NOTE: gone are those days when u spend alot to earn a degree and DAT degree repays u, these days education is more than certificate, it needs potentials,ability. look around u DT successful individual u kno is smart not certified.