News

Nigerian-American Doctor builds 100 houses for Widows in Anambra

BellaNaija.com

Godwin MadukaWe tend to spend a lot of time complaining about Nigeria. While our complaints are certainly justified, it is important to note that we all have the power to be changemakers.

A Nigerian-American doctor is in the news today as he recently built and donated 100 bungalows for widows and other indigent persons in Umuchukwu, Orumba South Local Government Area in Anambra State.

Dr. Godwin Maduka is the founder of the Las Vegas Pain Institute and Medical Center. Dr. Maduka completed his Graduate Medical training at the Harvard University School of Medicine in Anesthesia and Critical Care and Pain Management.

Beyond his career, he has made it his mission to transform his community in Umuchukwu. Over the last 3 years, he has completed various philantrophic projects including

• Donating nearly 100 motorcycles to the unemployed and underprivileged members of his community.
  • Building and renovation of a police station, barracks, and an updated post office
  • Construction of schools, homes for widows, hospitals, and religious buildings
  • Provision of scholarships to community residents to study at universities both in Nigeria and internationally

According to Punch Newspaper,

An excited native of the community said, “Today, there is no more thatched house in the community. Maduka has replaced every thatched house in the area with three or four-bedroom bungalows.

“About 100 of such buildings are currently in place in the community. They belong to the indigent natives, especially widows.

“All such buildings carry green aluminum roofing sheets for easy identification and beautification of the place.”

Maduka explains his philanthropic gesture, saying, “I embarked on all these to save my people from my ugly experience while growing up. I grew up in a home that when it rained, it rained more inside than house.

“Wealth would be meaningless if it cannot be used to better the lives of the people around the custodian.

“The wealthy must provide jobs for the youths; build skills acquisition centres for willing adults, market stalls for men and women, if society must be secure,” he said.

1. Gigii

October 24, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Just a remarkable person. May god continue to bless you.

• Nkechi

October 24, 2015 at 5:55 pm

If a man does this without public funds what will he do if he has recourse to them. Dr Godwin only you should govern 2states, you are a true leader. Instead of just making money and using it for yourself alone, you chose to remember other people. May the Lord reward you. This man is just unique. When others are looting public funds he is helping out with no public funds. Some people have not used the public funds for the benefit of the collective community talkless of using their personal finance.

• keelerlu

July 20, 2016 at 8:00 am

That’s is very good works, Dr. Godwin, A job indeed well , accepted by true and holy living God, thanks for giving back and helping those who are in great need. You are a Great blessing to God, creation people, Congratulations.
      Love a Friend in Christ, Yeshua, Jesus.
      Lk

2. Dee..

October 24, 2015 at 2:24 pm

This is phenomenal and worthy of emulation. God please bless me so i can do same for my own village people in Rubochi FCT, Abuja. God bless you more Dr Godwin Maduka

3. l

October 24, 2015 at 2:27 pm

isnt this the kind of leader we are looking for in Nigeria!!!!

• ATL's finest

October 24, 2015 at 5:25 pm

@ L I know right! E-hug & E-?for this Doc! God bless him plenty.

4. Ona

October 24, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Amazeballs!!! Now this is what i call inspiration and motivation! Great feat doc and may God continue to bless u!

5. one word

October 24, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Amazing!!!!

6. Folasade

October 24, 2015 at 2:44 pm

God bless you sir.

7. nkem

October 24, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Say what? God bless you Doc.

8. emily

October 24, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Oh boy! This is huge!
    Givers never lack

9. OgeAdiro

October 24, 2015 at 2:53 pm

“The wealthy must provide jobs for the youths; build skills acquisition centres for willing adults, market stalls for men and women, if society must be secure. ” I couldn’t agree more.

10. amy

October 24, 2015 at 2:57 pm

may ur wife never be a widow..and may the good lord bless u more

11. Spanish Guitar

October 24, 2015 at 2:59 pm

I don’t care what his reasons are, all I care about is that he has done a fine fine job. Kudos Dr. Maduka. God bless you much.

12. Suwa

October 24, 2015 at 3:01 pm

God bless you Dr Maduka

13. girlie

October 24, 2015 at 3:02 pm

well done sir!keep up d Gud work n may God continue to bless u more..we need more people lyk u in Nigeria

14. SS

October 24, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Wow,God bless you real good doctor. …..such an inspiration, what are we when we can provide for less privileged. …..God guide me and bless the work of my hands so I can do same or more

• Tosin

October 24, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Amen!

15. Oka

October 24, 2015 at 3:11 pm

BN this is what should inspire pple … We live a life of giving … Do u know how many houses 600m can build … Just for one person to live alone or with family member … So this doc Dnt know how to show off and buy house in Apple island … Nobody will hear or appreciate things like , the comment will b low cos it’s not materialism … God help … Bless u doc

• Adele

October 24, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Oka why are u such a hater linda helps a lot of people , For God’s sake get a life mission and stop whining about people

• whatwillbewillbe

October 25, 2015 at 8:53 am

Oga, o gini? Leave this girl to enjoy tge fruit of her labour na. We know of some of the charitable works she does and those may not be all she does. I hope you’re helping out in our own little way sha.

16. anonymous -HELP A SISTER OUT

October 24, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Hmmmmmm….hello everyone I need advise on career path to go…I may come across to some people as blockhead or dumb but doesn’t matter ,I just need advise from my beautiful intelligent people here….
    I am an average naija girl withcustomer service experience of 4 years and found myself in US as a permanent resident, currently I am working in a medical insurance customer service /call center, please help with career advice as I don’t want to dabble into nursing since that’s what everyone is doing,irregular work pattern and besides I don’t have flair for it,blood sight and all that……,kindly advice of what professional exam or certification I can do to kick start a career or anything you feel I can do to have a great career……NB –I am going to POST this on several post today so I can get different opinions, thanks in advance

• emma

October 24, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Have you thought about taking the jung personality test? Just google it and you’ll find the myerbriggs website to take the test. It might give you an idea of what you can do with your life.

• Bella

October 24, 2015 at 4:20 pm

You may email me and we can talk or I can introduce you to people who can advice you. – [email protected]

• The real D

October 24, 2015 at 4:33 pm

@ Help a Sister Out, you have started what you don’t want to do but what you failed to mention is what your interests are and what you might consider dabbling into. Most people go into nursing because it is a career that they can find jobs as they continue their education, i.e from nurses aid to LPN, to BN they can start earning income as they go but as a permanent resident as long as you are willing to work hard you can always earn while going to college. (I did, I worked 2 jobs one full time and one part time while i went to college full time and no i did not study nursing but again i was a teenager then) .
      I am trying to explain why many people go into nursing but also letting you know that you don’t have to limit yourself to nursing, so i guess the question is what roles/positions are you considering then it may be easier for one to help you decide the best way to go about accomplishing your goals

• B.E

October 24, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Start from what do you like to do? What are your strengths? Do you like numbers or not? You’ve mentioned you don’t like blood so that’s a start…

My point is capitalise on your strengths. You are more likely to succeed in a career path which makes most use of your strengths. And most importantly, pray for God to direct you, believe and he will.

Good luck as you navigate through life x

• slice

October 24, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I.T.
      Look into I.T.
      Maybe DBA or quality assurance
      Or pharmacy. U cld start as a pharmacy tech

• NaijaPikin

October 24, 2015 at 5:25 pm

What is important to? Following your passion, guarantee of a job?

If it’s job security, Anything in the medical field, IT, supply chain finance, procurement, engineering are some good options.

• ATL's finest

October 24, 2015 at 5:35 pm

@ Help a sister out! Most people are actually nurses from Nigeria, most people go into Nursing because that’s what they ve always wanted o do or can’t afford Med school loans & end up in Nursing. Most people go into Nursing because the job is very Lucrative. Most people go into Nursing because that’s one profession that wouldn’t judge you right away when it comes down to ascent. . so my dear if U have the passion & that’s what u ve always wanted to do, go for it. If not, don’t bother because Nursing school isn’t a JOKE! But on d other hand, u don’t wanna do anything that wouldn’t give u a job right away & U end up with massive loan. I know someone with degree in Criminal Justice & he can’t do anything with it. Good luck in your career path. As a foreigner, it pays off for those who is in it.. I started as a CNA & worked my way up. Today, I sure DON’T regret a THING..

• With love

October 24, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Hello sis,

It depends on what you like doing, there are different options.you can look into doing certifications in IT or healthcare (EPIC) certification.ACAMS is also a certification for money laundering, Google career path, I am sure you will learn more about different options.

• fleur

October 24, 2015 at 8:20 pm

what skills or training and knowledge strengths do you have? what interests you as a person? And thank God you are not gunning for nursing.

• annonymous

October 24, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Hi. The first thing is do some research with regards to the thriving jobs in your city, potential income, career growth and the requirements to jump start you onto the career. Then you have to make the really important decision of which job will give you job fulfillment. There are so many career options out there but it will be dependent on numerous factors like stated earlier, Hope this helped!!!!!

• Fix it

October 25, 2015 at 3:43 am

You can train as a physician assistant. They are just like doctors and the pay is very good. Anything in the medical field guarantees you job security and good pay.

• Gypsy Island

October 25, 2015 at 4:57 am

Out Spoken you are Jah bless.. as i would always tell my friends, success has no frame so i framed mine…. you are an average? what made you so.. self limitation is a mind state that can cripple the proficiency of a growing force….why not be creative, be industrious… NEVER FOLLOW THE CROWD!! start up a small customer care service program that can help the small scale growing companies in your area…create a baseline, as you grow, your services will be needed by even larger companies.. the entertainment industry in Nigeria would welcome you with open hands if your services are exceptional(just saying).. not every growing company can afford their own customer service department, but all growing company needs one, hence your game play to get their interest… simply show me how you can make a significant change to my companies growth and i just might need your services …Sis….

• Jom

October 25, 2015 at 5:13 am

Hello. Great you are working already. If you need help concerning pharmacy licensure, you can reply under this thread or send an email to m on [email protected] .

• Pat

October 26, 2015 at 2:47 pm

First have u tried to seek from God what ur gift is? This may sound absurd to some people but I believe so much in God’s direction and purpose for me hence I go through that part. Peoples opinion is good but at the same time u need to know what makes u happy when doing and what you can do so well with that u will kn which way or which advice to make you of.

• Baby Oku

October 27, 2015 at 11:40 am

One of the reasons people go into the health profession nursing especially is because of the job availability. As a nurse, a doctor,pharmacist, or physical.theapist, these jobs will always be available hence the reason why so many go for it. Ask yourself what your passion is first. Makeup artistry, quality tailoring, gene tying services these are skills that can help you earn good money that is if you have any of those. You brand your self well trust me the Nigerian population will naturally towards you. But again one has to be realistic, you are going to have bills to pay and need to start some where. Since you are not down for the nursing route, if pharmacy is something you can do, get a pharmacy technician certification , you can work in a pharmacy or hospital but I can’t guarantee that the jobs comes easy. After that , if you wish, you can pursue a pharmacy degree. I hope this helps.

• Baby Oku

October 27, 2015 at 11:44 am

@Help a sister out

17. Huh?!?

October 24, 2015 at 3:24 pm

“May your wife never be a widow” What?!??? So may he be a widower abi may they both kpeme at the same exact moment? Lol. I don’t get this your kain prayer abeg. Next time just say “Good Job Sir”, pray for him and more importantly, try to emulate him in your own small way (regardless of size of your pocket). If you buy akara, dash the woman the remaining N20 instead of collecting your change. Limited means and generosity are not mutually exclusive.

18. mabel

October 24, 2015 at 3:42 pm

God bless him greatly. Not these virus(our politicians) that we see everyday. Their own is to kill, steal and destroy.

19. Yanmbeyanmbe

October 24, 2015 at 3:43 pm

May the large jar of flour itself never get exhausted and the small jar of oil itself never fail. 1st Kings 17::14. Keep on. If you have the means do remember those siick in the hospitals who genuinely cant pay their hospital bills. May you never be in want..

20. Nwa Adaigbo

October 24, 2015 at 3:44 pm

You see? Others will be waiting for oil money to devour. Igbo kwanu. We are always helping each other. Some should call it blood money nah.

In the east. Several cooperatives helping business women and students. Go and ask.

Am proud of u brother. More gease to ur elbow.

21. Vic

October 24, 2015 at 3:46 pm

God bless you.what a Samaritan!!!!!!!!!

22. i no send

October 24, 2015 at 3:57 pm

where is my friend Bruno who only likes to pour venom without offering any solutions..and others like her in diaspora

23. anonymous

October 24, 2015 at 4:03 pm

I am totally inspired. May God forgive me for every time I have whined after doling out cash to my family members. Who cares if it stretches me?? Is this not a human being doing same for strangers?…

24. mrs chidukane

October 24, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Nice work, God bless you for being a blessing.

25. Barbara

October 24, 2015 at 4:08 pm

This is amazing. Now people like this should be recognised and celebrated. The media should push people and efforts like this more unlike irrelevant ridiculous “celebrity news” we see and discuss.

26. tunmi

October 24, 2015 at 4:13 pm

He should run for some local political office.

27. Mimi May

October 24, 2015 at 4:16 pm

…I grew up in a home that when it rained, it rained inside more than it outside… What more can I say? May you never lack Doc. The people of Umuchukwu are eternally grateful to u. God pls bless me so I can bless other.

28. Koffie

October 24, 2015 at 4:30 pm

This act of kindness is very laudable. May God bless him for giving back to society. And his words “…if society must be secure” absolutely agree. I’m inspired

29. imose

October 24, 2015 at 4:42 pm

You know I mentioned earlier that the future is bright and we will get there! God bless you sir!! And may your jar of oil never run dry! As for those raping us dry ..kontinue, your judgement day is near!!

30. Tosin

October 24, 2015 at 5:31 pm

kilzzes!
    respec’

31. StraightFromLasgidi

October 24, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Now this is what we like to hear, very commendable act if I do say so myself. May his oil never run dry.

32. nnenne

October 24, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Am sure he doesn’t have 4 wives, uncountable children and girlfriends.
    Our politicians and traditional rulers should look at him and be ashamed of themselves! !!
    May the good Lord continue to bless you and your family.

33. 'Diddie

October 24, 2015 at 7:08 pm

One word….Wonderful!

34. art

October 24, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Dr Godwin Maduka for president! Nigerians are one of the most selfish, hateful, boastful and most greedy set of people I’ve ever seen in my life. This Dr here is among the 1% of people you can call extra ordinary Nigerians. Regular Nigerians that I know would only help their immediate family and be going around the village with security escorts just to opress and feel like some big shot. Thanks Dr Godwin for letting people know that wealth without significance and influence is poverty. May God do for you what man or money cannot do for you, for using the blessings that God has bestowed on you to touch lives and put smiles on the faces of the poor and needy.

35. fleur

October 24, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Thank you Dr. Maduka. You are a true gift to humanity.

36. Nonamespls

October 24, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Really impressive, may God bless you and your generation

37. demashi

October 24, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Lovely stuff…..more of this and our society would be better. However, BN is 4 years late on this. He’s been on this since 2011, except he just recently concluded this project nairaland.com/601640/us-based-nigerian-turns-rural-community

38. george musa

October 24, 2015 at 9:09 pm

u try guy………..one luv

• jay

October 27, 2015 at 9:31 am

U call this ‘try’??
      Really???

39. Peaches77

October 24, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Wow and wow!! This has been my dream exactly for about 5 years now. Kai May God bless you and your generation Doc! So exemplary…May God help us to keep doing better.

40. uyai

October 24, 2015 at 10:49 pm

this is good. WELL DONE

41. Ms A

October 25, 2015 at 12:12 am

#InstantIgwe

I have igwefied him instantly

What an angel, May you and your thousand generations be blessed forever

42. oyin

October 25, 2015 at 1:25 am

This is inspiring, God bless you Sir, I hope to follow this example too in the future

43. Julie

October 25, 2015 at 3:16 am

God bless you, Doctor. May the Lord multiply your coast.

44. Chi

October 25, 2015 at 7:44 am

May God bless him! This is the way.

45. Emmanuel

October 25, 2015 at 11:54 am

Dr Godwin, May Almighty God continue to bless you and your family for this magnanimity act of your. May He who never sleep nor slumber be with you all the days of your life. Amen

46. deka

October 25, 2015 at 12:25 pm

GOD BLESS U DR MADUKA.. sooo PROUD…

47. ojo

October 25, 2015 at 12:32 pm

wow dis is a real leader.even those that hv looted our coffers hav not used it to help nigerians.God bless u sir.looters of our moneys should be ashamed of themselves.see someone doing things without looted funds.

48. concerned9ja

October 25, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Wonderful…this is what Radio Biafra should be promoting..empowerment not the same old issue of seperatism since 1850!!

49. Fade to black

October 25, 2015 at 3:02 pm

What a brilliant man!

50. Anonymous

October 25, 2015 at 3:25 pm

God bless you!!!!!

51. RAH

October 25, 2015 at 4:56 pm

IGBO KWENU!
    ANAMBRA STATE KWENU!
    NIGERIA KWEZUE NU!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big ups to you doc…. I salute your achievements and exemplary lifestyle.

52. Ndidi

October 25, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Wow. Very Inspired. Job Welldone Dr. Maduka #Goals

53. meelikey

October 26, 2015 at 8:47 am

God will enlarge your coast,He will shield and protect u n urs,He will cause His face to shine upon you and give u peace all the days of your life sir.

54. Chinedu

October 26, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Great man.

55. Edu

October 26, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Great man! He thinks just like me

56. Mary Davies

October 26, 2015 at 9:51 pm

GOD BE WITH YOU .

57. sadiq

October 29, 2015 at 5:43 pm

indeed, i must admit that this man is a colossus, kind-hearted and very down to heart. i pray that god in his infinite mercy will continue to strengthen and protects him from evil people. truly a god sent.

58. GB

January 3, 2016 at 5:43 pm

he has completed a sixteen storey building in my town, built and equipped an international hospital with facilities imported directly from USA(gave it to Catholic church to handle), built a cathedral for both Catholic and Anglican in the community, about 30 bungalows for widows in neighboring town, police, court and rejected all the chieftaincy titles offered to him, donated about 300 pews for Catholic church at owere/ezukala, gave about 60 youths 1million naira each and many more….. he’s indeed a God sent to my community. he even barred his family and immediate relatives from contesting for any post or tittle in the community.

59. Felix

March 1, 2016 at 10:37 am

You are God sent and you shall be surely rewarded for your good act. Some times I wonder if people like you still exist in our country, the politicians we have today are vampires, they target the poor with their stupid policies,

60. klawdiho

July 9, 2016 at 9:31 pm

I taught of words to bless this man when my spirit bursted into tongues. for more than three minutes for this man. truely the blessing of God makes Rich and adds no sorrow. Leadership is never position but responsibility.

61. OnyeGhana

July 19, 2016 at 1:10 am

OK, I will talk about Dr. Godwin Maduka … as a college mate and a friend. Maduka started his college in the USA at Rust College, Holly Springs, Mississippi. When he arrived at the campus, it was easy to know where this guy was heading to. He took his classes seriously and very determined to make it “na ala amerika”. On our graduation day, he and I were among the 3 students who made it “Suma Cum Laude”. Of course, he went ahead to do pharmacy in Louisiana after graduating in science. I graduated in computer science and went to Chicago and continued with my Masters in Information System. Then, one day, I got a call from Dr. Maduka. He was in Chicago on his way to Harvard and wanted to stop by … He did and that has been the last time I have seen him. Look, he has such an amiable personality and as I write I am laughing on some many memories of our time at Rust College with other Nigerian students. Congratulations, Maduka …. This is onyeGhana.

62. oluchukwu

October 17, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Am really exited for what ur doing for the people of ur town and I play that God almighty will reward u more and more, and that hand u use to give out things will never lack money