News

Nigerian Muslim Woman Prays for Her Husband’s Wedding … to his 2nd Wife

BellaNaija.com

Fatima Lamido-Nigerian Muslim WomanYesterday, a woman called Fatima Lamido asked her Twitter followers to join her in prayer for her husband’s marriage – with a second wife. According to her Twitter profile, she has a Masters in International Relations, and on the family front, she is also a mother and first wife.

See the tweet below:

Islamic law allows a man to marry up to four wives, provided he can love them equally. Polygamy is also permitted in most Nigerian customary/traditional marriages.

Since yesterday, she has been retweeting replies from others – some are telling her she deserves better, while some are applauding her for being a peacekeeper.

If her tweets are to be believed, the wedding is taking place today.

1. Cancel Reply

October 23, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Not my cuppa tea, but she agrees with her husband’s decision to take another wife. Good for her, good for them #Cestfinit

• Di

October 25, 2015 at 6:45 am

I cannot help but think she pretends to wholeheartedly agree to it. I keep saying it, polygamy was invented by men not Allah/God. God knew Adam needed only one Eve, not 2, 4 or 100 teenage Eves.
      If polygamy is part of their religion why cannot the women marry as many husbands as they can afford. God has women’s interest at heart, He would never create such system.
      No woman who truly and passionately love a man will wholeheartedly share him!! No woman!! Love is between one man and one woman; and not one man and community of women and teenagers.

2. ATL's finest

October 23, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Is there any woman like Fatima Lamido still living??? Well God luck, best wishes & may Allah grant U happiness in all… I wouldn’t judge cuz it’s F**ing ignorant to do so when U don’t know nothing about her home or know her personal. It takes courage to be that way but God knows I’m far from been that way 🙂

• Manny

October 23, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Exactly.

• Tosin

October 23, 2015 at 5:41 pm

i think i’m that way.
      two main things i would want her for: food/kitchen palaver – i would love her forever if she feeds me everyday and is nice to the kids, and 2. some guys really take bedroom life seriously (dear Lord!) and rather than stress myself if i was stuck with such a guy i’d get him one small wife. as long as she’s not a fighter, greedy, evil, noisy, hey, sometimes it takes a village 🙂

google.com/search?q=warren+buffet+and+astrid+and+wife+susan

• Lois

October 23, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Yes there are a substantial number of them. Not every woman absolutely abhors polygamy, some don’t mind the arrangement at all. To each his/her own. Congratulations on the coming wedding and happiness to the entire family

3. rahyourbinde

October 23, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Iffahear… I seriously think she’s using this to change the husband’s mind ni jare

4. Khaleesi

October 23, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Soooo…. seeing that 3 pipo will be involved in this marriage…. & she has openly approved and blessed it… ummmm , ummmh… the first thing that crossed my mind was THREESOMES!
    # I kid I kid, dont kill me nah… lol 🙂 🙂 🙂

• FasholasLover

October 23, 2015 at 5:24 pm

@khaleesi, I think ehn? What a man loves, a woman can love too! The things we do/tolerate in d name of the Lord.

• NaijaPikin

October 23, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Always wondered if this occurs in polygamous homes in naija. lol.

5. tolu

October 23, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Who are we to judge her? whatever makes her sleep at night.

6. onyx

October 23, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Could this be love?

7. ana

October 23, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Fatima is a legend! Only God knows the kind of heart she used to utter that prayer. There is no woman on this earth who would agree to share a husband whether tradition says so or not. There are only two exceptions, either she is planning some low key tsunami or she never loved her husband and is thus focused on her lover somewhere nearby. Love is jealous! Even a mother does not love all her children equally. By marrying a second wife, her husband is declaring that Fatima has exhausted her purpose in his life. After my uncle married his 2nd wife, his 1st wife divorced him leaving him penniless (she cleared the savings account) and homeless (she burnt the house). If Fatima, by some rare chance, is genuine in her prayers then more grease to her elbow otherwise that man´s days are numbered.

• Tosin

October 23, 2015 at 5:43 pm

not really. 1. she is a good muslim 2. i’m not even muslim and i’m all about sharing , i can’t understand why jealousy is a virtue

• arrest her

October 24, 2015 at 5:05 pm

hope she was arrested?

8. ElessarisEllendil

October 23, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Interesting, very interesting. This just means Fatima gets to focus more on her self/career while wife number two deals with the husband. It can be a good arrangement, but takes a hell of a lot of balancing.

9. Suwa

October 23, 2015 at 4:43 pm

I no even fit share boyfriend come be husband. Hmmmm, good woman

10. jay

October 23, 2015 at 4:47 pm

speak for yourself, I have 3 kids and I love them equally,well I actually prayed for the grace to love them equally before having them. it’s a disservice to our kids when we have favourites,I know how much it affected me when I was growing up. Anyway don’t let me derail the discussion.

• ana

October 23, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Good for you sir/madam. You belong to the minority and I was speaking for the majority.

• Agudosi

October 24, 2015 at 6:55 am

Aunty……you are speaking for yourself….

• Ifybaby

October 23, 2015 at 7:48 pm

God bless you for this comment. I can relate. If only parents would realize how much their favoritism affects their children’s lives individually and also their relationships with one another.

11. Flakky

October 23, 2015 at 4:48 pm

If I am her husband and the new wife, I will not sleep with my eyes closed. Orisa je n pe meji kosi o, don’t dull!

• shay shay

October 23, 2015 at 7:01 pm

I was thinking in that direction as well!

12. rs

October 23, 2015 at 4:59 pm

awon angels on planet earth

13. Taiwo

October 23, 2015 at 5:51 pm

She try o! Well, I can do it too. Congratulate them and move out and on with my life. Shikena!

14. Habibi

October 23, 2015 at 7:05 pm

God Bless this woman immensely.
    I am not married yet but I have resolved with myself that If my husband decides he wants to take another wife I will not fight it at all. I would be happier if he consults with me before he does-that way I can help him in making a good choice. If I have any unmarried friend sef all the better. As long as I know she is a good person I know that we will be fine.

My prayer is that God gives me the strength to cross that bridge should I ever have to.

• sibo

October 23, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Yes my sweetie that is your portion and you must bear your yoke as you are so gutless you have no choice but to live with your PREDICAMENT. If your husband look you finish and then decides to collect another babe it is because YOU DO NOT SATISFY HIM ANYMORE. HE is therefore making good use of a clause in your religion that permits him to overcome marital boredom and take a SHINY NEW WIFE., plus the fact that he has got a boring doormat as a wife who cannot say BOO to a common house fly thereby Making it so easy for him to relegate you to the background. And yes your choice, but don’t get it twisted you are far from being a strong proud woman you are just a doormat. That ain’t holy.

• Cee

October 23, 2015 at 11:34 pm

My advice to u dear…don’t think of any situation like that especially when u r not yet married,think positive u don’t need to enter your home with such a mind set,trust me!

15. Thots

October 23, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Many out there saying they can never share their husbands unknown to their egos and denial are sharing many mistresses……it’s all about perspective……at the end of the day, no matter the marital situation it’s genuine peace of mind and happiness that counts and no man or woman can give or influence that. God knows best.

16. lyl

October 23, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Hmmm……smooth operator! Dis woman get plans! Surely not good plans cos deep down truth be told *nobody likes to share ever!* and her husband at dat! I doubt she’ s being sincere.

17. ewaoluwa

October 23, 2015 at 8:11 pm

D woman might be dying….probably

18. Mabel

October 23, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Well, if they can find peace amongst themselves so be it. I wonder how these situations work, are they all under the same roof, or is he going to the other wife’s house a few times a week? I wonder how women from polygamous cultures view it when a man choose never to take another wife and stick to only them.

19. whoever

October 23, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Say all you want, the fact is:
    – She’s come to terms with her reality and her happiness is her business. If she’s happy fine, if she’s not, still fine.

20. passingby

October 23, 2015 at 9:09 pm

I dont buy it. If you want to be a martyr at least choose a worthwhile cause. Whats the matter with you ? why cant your husband be satisfied with you ?Yeh, so your religion permits it , why cant your husband who loves you soooo much, become a martyr for you and forfeit his right to take on more women. Thing is, even if you object your husband will still go ahead and marry himself more wives. The truth is that he does not need your permission. He”ll do it whether you agree or not. So my dear i dont understand why you fronting I know you cry in the privacy of your lonely bedroom.

21. Aj

October 23, 2015 at 10:51 pm

“Wow I’m impressed by your level of understanding” what’s there to understand? Lol naija people won’t kill me.

22. Husband Be Wise

October 24, 2015 at 12:27 am

May God give this man wisdom to actually see what this woman means, because no woman will go through the hassle of expressing her joy on social media about her husband getting another wife. Oga!!!!!!!!!!!! Get another house for new madam because this senior wife’s message means “RAT POISON” is waiting for both of you when you get home………Shikena

23. Lol

October 24, 2015 at 2:07 am

Lol this woman is so deadly.

24. fleur

October 24, 2015 at 3:30 am

Sorry. Not my cup of tea unless I don’t want to receive the other woman’s vaginal fluids on my own personal spot. That is what the husband will be doing – ensuring that the women exchange DNA through his you know what. So to those suggesting a threesome – they are already prepped for a threesome with this new marriage. Perhaps the first wife is relieved that she no longer has to meet his sexual needs since there is a new toy on the block. Could be she has other plans unknown or is more than glad to put a permanent zippy on it.

25. akissi

October 25, 2015 at 9:18 pm

as much i have heard that this is permissible under Islam, i can never fathom the idea of marrying another wife while the first one still lives or the couple is not divorced. I am not the jealous type and responding to Tosin, jealousy is not always celebrated as a virtue. It is just a normal human reaction that when you love one such as a husband and a wife, you don’t want to share that intimacy with ANYBODY. You share your spouse’s general life with both your families, work colleagues, friends etc….but that intimacy (not just sex) belongs to you two ONLY. Not even your children can share in that intimacy. So to have another woman/man come in to that relationship will hurt, except you don’t really love that person. Why do you think infidelity hurts so much? It’s because something meant for two people only has been shared with someone else. I love my husband and while you cannot vouch for anyone except the child in your stomach, i daresay he is faithful to me and I to him and cannot and will not be able to pray for fruitfulness of any union besides ours….

26. thisisnotmyname

October 25, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Hmmm, good luck to her. To steal a quote from an old BN article on polygamy, http://www.bellanaija.com/2010/07/29/the-joy-of-polygamy/

Dearest husband of mine,
    ” In matters even remotely similar to polygamy, I, your gentle dove, will become nothing less than the outcome of a genetic transmutation between an unforgiving goose and a raging lioness. So let’s not even go there.”
    With love,
    thisisnootmyname

27. Bella

October 26, 2015 at 11:01 am

Why put it on social media? Why take it to twitter? Is that your happy space? na wa o! Can we keep some things private o. So at every juncture of their 3 way, she will see fit to keep twitter family posted! I no dey tire small