Features

Richard Akuson: What’s Up With These Over-Priced Nigerian Designers?

Richard Akuson

Recently I signed as a publicist and contributing curator of a yet-to-be launched New York based e-commerce store with a primary focus on African fashion brands, when I realized that Nigerian fashion designers had a very long way to go. First with their below par creativity, finishing and their consequently exorbitant price points which can only be said to be the irony of a bigger joke.

While my client will be launching in the Spring of 2016. They are, however, in their research stage for possible brands to stock with a truly African aesthetic that is nonetheless modern and innovative. It was something that I thought will be a simple task for them, especially because of the highly reputable team of international experts that they had outsourced for that singular purpose. Well, it shouldn’t come as a shock that it has since proved to be their biggest challenge since inception, which the founder expressed to me the last time we spoke. Why is that so, you ask? Firstly, in her words “there are hardly globally appealing African brands at the moment and the very few that are trying to be, are on the same price points as Chanel and Dior which is ridiculous and unthinkable for emerging brands; especially if they plan on being taken seriously internationally” she said. I quickly offered to look around for a few brands that I thought  would be less pricy, bearing in mind the many Nigerian designers that I’d assumed will fall within their target price point of $5-$100.

I took the weekend off work and decided to comb through the web and Instagram for those “emerging brands” (because in all honesty they are all emerging brands, especially in the global scheme of work). My first surprise was finding out that a lot of them had pretty much dysfunctional websites while a lot others had email addresses that didn’t seem to exist. The very few that I found aesthetically appealing in the most basic way, turned out to be the most outrageously over priced “luxury goods” since Alexander Amosu’s 284 million Naira champagne.

I was literally startled when I saw a ‘mesh lapel poncho’ by a Nigerian womenswear designer retailing at $998 (198, 641 Naira) and a ‘print slim pant’ by a Nigerian menswear designer at $630 (125,401 Naira)  and some other very basic stuffs retail between $300 – $1000. I literally had to pause and search for stores like Harrods, Selfridges, Net-A-Porter, Bergdoff Goodman, Saks, Barney’s and every other luxury store that is reputable for carrying the most luxurious of brands to do a comparative price analysis. Now, not even MaxMara or Alberta Ferretti will sell such a poncho for $998 even with their global brand recognition, talk less of a homegrown label with only a few half paged features in the Indian or Ukrainian Vogue or what ever Scandinavian publication they feature on, etcetera (at their best) – such a price cannot be an option open to a brand like that.

It got me asking, who buys all those over priced clothes, definitely not the Nigerian lower and middle classes who don’t earn upto $998 in a month which makes for more than 90% of our entire? Who in his right senses will spend $630 to buy a print pants in Nigeria, when you can literally get your money’s worth from an upscale international designer brand with a far more valuable and recognizable brand name?

My many jobs have me constantly seeking for new talents to either write about or just keep an eye on, and I’ve come across very contemporary brands from Ghana, Kenya and South Africa that are doing extremely well with stellar craftsmanship and a globally appealing aesthetic that are however affordable while still maintaining their ‘Africaness’. A lot of them have realized that fixing an exorbitant price isn’t what makes for a “luxury brand” but the luxury comes from the experience of wearing the clothes, innovative design and finishing (which a lot of the afore mentioned instances largely lack) yet, they also understand that beyond having good designs – clothes have to be sold and that selling 40 units of a $15 organza tunic in a week is more profitable than hardly selling a single $500 organza tunic in a month. A lot of those brands have learned to balance production cost plus other extra charges and still make profit while selling  at a reasonable and affordable price, so why can’t their Nigerian counterparts do the same?

At the end of the day, I guess my point is; as an emerging designer (which every Nigerian designer is especially when speaking globally), your prices can’t be on the same level as Balmain’s or Gucci’s when they have an outstandingly bigger brand recognition, international appeal and overall finesse than you . And really, except of course there is a technique peculiar to the designer (which still doesn’t excuse the cut-throat prices), I’d rather spare my hundreds of dollars and buy a whole closet full of clothes from Asos. I could buy any of the absolutely amazingly affordable mass production brands or just keep  the money in my bank account where I can see it everyday –  instead of buying a tunic shirt that you and I know isn’t worth a nickel.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Wavebreakmedia Ltd

Richard Akuson is founder at The PR Boy a boutique media and press relations agency for fashion, beauty and lifestyle brands with a specialty in raising the overall awareness of a brand, product or image of a company or person. Richard is also a weekly columnist at Bellanaija.com ('On The Catwalk' and 'Collection Conversations'), he's also a party host at The Front Row and a vlogger at Get Pink with Richard .Want to reach out? Follow @richardakuson on Instagram and @richardakuson on Twitter or send an email to [email protected]

1. fafo

October 19, 2015 at 10:55 am

take it easy, it aint that serious. Na who go come read all the epistle wey you write so? Its never too expensive, just say you couldn’t afford it rather than all these slander fa. #kapish

• Daniel

October 19, 2015 at 11:40 am

You need to reread the post since all this was all you could glean from it.

• DoroAnon

October 19, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Sorry for commenting OP, i want to celebrate my 26th birthday, im looking for a serene environment which is not pricey n beautiful 🙂 my fellow bn readers any suggestions? a decent place in lagos that is not pricey i am new in this town. Thanks in advance

• nospeak

October 19, 2015 at 8:51 pm

umm..its true! ITs embarrassing as an African to go to shows and try and justify the bad craftsmanship with horrid prices! you obviously don’t buy high end designer clothing, that’s why you are running your mouth, ‘Cause if you did, you would tell the difference immediately and refuse to pay! #trust

2. Teekay

October 19, 2015 at 11:03 am

Trust me, u just said my mind
    Some of them that make suit would be competing with tomford and zara… Yet their quality cant stand them.
    Even the onces that do ankara (our very own product) would still sell at a ridiculous price.
    The worst are those fast food making nigerian delicacies and they sell at an outreagous price! If we are in nigeria we should appreciate that we are eating our local meal at a cheaper rate while in the uk or other countries we understand that they imprort it.
    God bless nigeria

• xag

October 19, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Some proper Nigerian designers however do it for the fun of it and really don’t need your money, as for the rest, they make pieces that are not mass produced per se, so they have to set a higher price point to make being a fashion designer worth doing. Do you know the time it takes to put together one bespoke suit? How many do you have to sell to foot the usual rent in the so-called upscale locations where people in Nigeria want to buy from? This funny cost of rent in a third-world locations affects the affordability and pricing of everything else. When rent in Abuja and Lagos for proper well-built homes is way more than the rent in Los Angeles and Barcelona what do you expect them to do? Imagine the cheapest room in ordinary Wheatbaker in Ikoyi in Lagos is USD 500 a night, more expensive than the rate for the Armani Hotel which is located in the tallest building in the world, the Burj Khalifa., a room rate at Wheatbaker is the same rate for a night at Atlantis the Palm. A night at Wheatbaker in Lagos is also more expensive than Waldorf Astoria in New York where royalty and Presidents have stayed for decades, more expensive that Lotte New York, Park Lane Central Park…..and you’re blaming poor designers for altering their prices to meet the madness that is Lagos real estate pricing, the most expensive slum in the world.

• mykel

April 29, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Actually you have just agreed with his by disagreeing lol. The prevalence , paying for for for so little value cuts across our society . You have mentioned one of such things, Rent. The rent paid in Lekki for eg is ridiculous and what you get is fLOOD when it rains. Let’s not forget NEPA. Giving us bills for electricity we didn’t use lol. We have a BIG problem. If you complain you would be seen as “cheap” and stingy. So we conform to look like a “big boy” or “girl”

• Lala

October 19, 2015 at 12:44 pm

When last did we produce ankara in Nigeria? They are mostly Dutch wax- imported from Europe or copied in China. As for the writer, most of the items you talk about are hand made bespoke. These names you call are- good quality, but still mass market and straight forward sewing and styles mass produced.
      Have you seen the styles of the average Nigerian lady? Just go to Daystar on a Sunday morning. Complcated styles with several different pieces that need to be put together- then add all the intricate embellishments.
      You know the price of couture right? £100 for Marks and Spencer suits, yet an unknown Saville row tailor makes bespoke suits for upwards of £300.
      Lesson- in your comparative analysis, compare like for like. Mass market with mass market (despite the finishings and sophisticated machines-a thousand others. Will wear it). Bespoke with bespoke

Certain aspects of our economy should be protected from sophisticated investors with deep pockets, either by policy or by the way of life of our people. In this instance, it’s our traditional designs. Abi you wan wear DKNY Iro and buba. You saw Ebuka’s Igbo trad wear for his trad marriage abi. I am glad it wasn’t Tom Ford, but an experienced Nigerian tailor some where. That’s how some big cosmetics brand have been forced out from China after hemorrhaging cash with loss after loss- because in certain industries the Chinese stuck with tradition- like our bespoke trad designers. Not for N100k though.
      The young shall grow. All mistakes duely observed!!!

• The real D

October 19, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Are people purposely ignoring the point the author made? Gucci and Chanel did not start out as mass production companies either, they started out small and priced their products accordingly to get to where they are at today. So in case you missed his point, he is telling you:
      1. To be successful you have to price your product competitively, I.e it has to be in comparison to those in your market and unless you deceive yourself no Nigerian designer is in the same grade level /market has Gucci at least today.
      2. Let your product match your price. Don’t bring mediocre product to the table and be asking for top dollar. I will not serve bud light and be asking for Hennessey money.
      3. Look for ways to drive cost of production down, while still maintaining the integrity and quality of your brand (unless your brand is based on mediocrity but then price accordingly), so you can price competitively.(back to point 1) do you think international retailers care about how much rent is or how much running gen is because you live in Nigeria? No they don’t they are looking for merchandise that will offer them the fastest return/turnover. (Comes down to quality and brand).
      Lastly, someone had argued that some don’t need the money, they do it for the love of it, I call BS!!!! to that statement. If the purpose was for the love then designer will have no problem giving said pieces for free or at most pricing his/her merchandise right. I.e competitively because money like you have said then is not their driving factor. Any designer that is selling a poncho, Gucci and whoever included for $998 has $$$$ signs on the mind. Is that wrong? Nope but Gucci did not price a poncho at that price when it started, as people had access to them,people were able to appreciate the quality and integrity behind the brand, and Gucci was able to create a name of himself and with that came the need for mass production and with that appreciation came the prices we see today.
      The problem here boils down to the same issue that is now like cancer in our society that is “THE GET RICH RIGHT NOW” mentality. We want Gucci, Chanel money but not willing to put in the work and go through the hoops the founders of said labels went through. I usually advice people before you go into any business, study/read up on major players that have made it in that field, you’d be surprised what you’d learn and it will help take some blinders off.

3. gidi gbam

October 19, 2015 at 11:06 am

Gbam!

4. Adaeze Writes

October 19, 2015 at 11:08 am

Wow! They are going to come at you….*Lol*
    Although some of what you say is true, it’s not ideal to generalize! You must understand that the Nigerian fashion industry is growing and cost of production of most of the outfits by the big brands cost a lot. If indeed the prices are the same as most designer outfits, then understand that these designs are unique just as the ‘foreign designs’ are.
    If you can’t get an outfit for an affordable price from a Nigerian designer, you could hop on to the next and get a better deal.

5. Sade

October 19, 2015 at 11:09 am

You are absolutely correct dear writer about the fashion designers. I have experienced it first hand, I planned on having a pre wedding photo shoot in Nigeria. And intended on patronizing my people in Naija, but their prices are ridiculous. I first had to convert that amount to Naira – although I can afford it, it’s definitely too much for the average Nigerian.

Speaking of all those Instagram photographers nko? As in the ones with a lot of Instagram followers in Nigeria. I have been contacting them through Instagram, emails, calls and Facebook. But their rate of responsiveness and professionality are so low. I didn’t mind paying the 100k – 150k (I know I was overcharged) they wanted to charge for photo shoot but there are so unprofessional. If you guys want me to mention their names, I will.

But what annoyed me was the fact that they acted as though the were doing me a favor. I simply dumped them all. I was like, when I land in Naija, I ll sort this all out.

• Laolu

October 19, 2015 at 11:31 am

Please mention their names, i have no problem with people carving a niche for themselves in a profession that was mocked prior to this time/era but the prices odikwa very ridiculous plus cameras ain’t cheap though

• Sade

October 19, 2015 at 11:54 am

Yeah, cameras are not cheap but did they intend to make the cost of Camera from just one customer’s photo shoot. These photographers are all on Instagram, they are Jide Odukoya photography, Atunbi photography and SC George photography

6. Thatgidigirl

October 19, 2015 at 11:13 am

cost of production in Nigera is ridiculous Richard. Erratic power supply, cost of paying semi illiterate tailors, rent etc are part of the issues plaguing Nigerian designers. The bigger international names have economies of scale in their favour, they manufacture their fabrics and make the clothes in Asia where labour is very cheap so its unfair for you to compare. Whilst I agree that some designers are over priced, others do not have an option, it’s a business and they can’t run at a loss because they want their clothes to be affordable.

• Sade

October 19, 2015 at 11:46 am

You have a point but it does not justify the excessive price tags. Especially competing with world renowned designers – and most times, it tops the real known international designer’s prices. For goodness sake fabrics are cheaper in eko market and oshodi than China.

• Lala

October 19, 2015 at 12:50 pm

That’s a lie – those fabrics were imported from China

• www.withtomi.com

October 19, 2015 at 1:05 pm

You definitely mentioned some valid points.
      However, the cost of production cannot be so much that their ONLY option is to price a piece of cloth at $930. If that’s true, then that’s just ridiculous.

With regards to economies of scale, the way they can achieve that may be to increase demand for the product, but to achieve that, they need to reduce their prices.

7. Funmi O

October 19, 2015 at 11:21 am

It is not only the designers, it is the wedding vendors too. Imagine my shock in being quoted N800K for wedding photography in Nigeria which is nearly £3K which is so strange as my wedding photographer in UK has photographed the Queen and won many awards is asking for a more affordable £1600.

I think some Nigerian business people think high price indicates quality which is not always the case.

• HMMM

October 19, 2015 at 12:08 pm

I have heard of 1 million for one day…. I AM LIKE HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT CHARGING PEOPLE 1M FOR PICTURES….

• Sade

October 19, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Yep. The wedding vendors too. At this rate, I ll just have to plan my own wedding from Yankee. Then find someone to coordinate it on the day of.

• @cvizier

October 19, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Call Onyx cynosure at 08032933700. He will do a damn good job at a moderate price.

• larz

October 19, 2015 at 3:40 pm

My friend had a wedding in Nigeria. She hired a wedding assistant whose job was to attend meetings send photos, basically be her eye on ground. It was like having a sister on ground but one you are paying so she wont come and take over your wedding as family members tend to do. She knew what she wanted, she did her own research and made initial contact with the company and the girl will go visit to taste food, send photos, visit sites, attend their events etc. And she paid the lady herself so there was little risk of She arrived in naija 10 days before to finalise everything and the wedding was fab. I am sure you can get referral from a social butterfly university student or recent graduate that are passionate about owambe parties and will be willing to be hired by you.

• Errand bebe

October 19, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I am available to coordinate the wedding. Mail me on [email protected]

• The Chimera Company

October 20, 2015 at 1:00 am

Hello Sade!
      We are an events planning/ coordinating outfit based in Abuja. If you need coordinates for your big day, please contact us.
      I assure you are fees aren’t exorbitant.
      08058829688 – Sam.

• sunshine

October 20, 2015 at 4:03 am

I know an event management who is based both in naija and in yankee. She knows her craft though not as popular but it may work better for you since you are in yankee. Email [email protected]

• Girl Friday

October 20, 2015 at 8:52 am

As @Larz said, there are so many people willing to make a little extra money while you get your peace of mind. I’m a young graduate that has just finished nysc and i don’t mind being a Wedding Assistant (while we are still searching for these elusive jobs). So @Sade and anyone else who needs an Assistant pls email [email protected]. i can be your girl friday.

• Angel Deco

October 20, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Hello Sade. I’m Mariam. Although, its safe to say am a baby planner, but then, i have just about as much experience with wedding planning (tho informally). I’d love to help you wif your planning, if you’d like. It’ll be a great opportunity for me to jion your team. Maybe when i’m strong enough to join the industry, i’ll begin to charge my own big big price……..#jus kidding
      U can send me an email on [email protected]

• Diuto

October 21, 2015 at 9:32 am

Hi Sade pls Try ibrahim sule 08096588312 he works in nigeria and uk. He did mine and he’s affordable

• Oro nla

October 19, 2015 at 5:17 pm

A family friend of ours once told me that he needs to quote high price for Nigerians because according to him Nigerians associate quality with price. The higher the price, the better to them and surprisingly people actually pay for it!

8. Imrif

October 19, 2015 at 11:24 am

Thank you o. I thought I was too stingy ni o. Don’t understand their pricing mechanism. Including photographers, designers, Muas

9. J'adur

October 19, 2015 at 11:34 am

It depends…with whom have you been shopping/scouting? I have tried and own a couple of April by Kunbi pieces and they fall within the $100 mark. Nice, trendy stuff and unrivalled customer service, I must say….

BBM Channel: C003363D4 BBM pin: 593B82AB … trendy ORIGINAL bag pieces…personal bag shopping experience like you’ve never had it before.. *wink*wink*

10. Musingsofachristianchick.com

October 19, 2015 at 11:35 am

This article is so apt, I once saw an ankara maki skirt, no jara, no nothing o just skirt that is long for 20, 000.
    lol I just laughed at the very unrealistic price. Which average nigerian would buy 1 skirt for that amount when they can go to the market, buy the material and sew the skirt for way less.
    we need nigerian stores like atmosphere, next even zara in Nigeria.

11. mo

October 19, 2015 at 11:56 am

Dear writer, you are so right! however, this ‘disease’ cuts acrossall sectors. tailors, bakers, cab drivers, tradrers etc… i once saw an beaded ankara jacket that my tailor made and i admired it so the lady aske dme of she could make me one and i said yes. imagine my shock when i asked for the price and she sad 30k for a jacket? what is goingon in Nigeria. our problems with electricity, ocst of running businesses did not just start today. i have come to realise that it has now become the default excuse for greediness!
    even at the markets, the pepper seller will rather throw away rotten pepper than sell it at a lower rate. i just dont get the sense in that..

• Jane

October 19, 2015 at 1:22 pm

You want to buy rotten pepper?

• Manny

October 19, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I think she meant rotting not rotten. And trust me by the time you blend and add maggi, you won’t know the difference.

• Rt

October 19, 2015 at 6:12 pm

You should read between the lines..That’s not what he meant

• molarah

October 20, 2015 at 2:08 pm

No o. Lemme clarify for Mo, cos I feel his/her point. Pepper sellers price a bowl of pepper at N500. If a customer comes around with just N250, they would insist on their initial price and rather lose the customer than halve their bowl and sell what they can. It’s ridiculous because the pepper bowl unit is not cast in stone and should be easily adjusted. But apparently profit is not their priority.

12. Annalise

October 19, 2015 at 11:57 am

What sets the typical naija designer from your neighbourhood tailor are overheads and fixed costs like posh office decor, advertising and fashion show logistics. All other overheads relating to infrastructure are peculiar to all naija businesses. The argument that foreign designers all have their factories (which is not entirely true) in Asia does not follow logic in this context. If it would make your products cheaper, relocate to Bangladesh too. What do you mean by illiterate tailors?? Illiterate in what sense? Some Italian and French designers can’t speak proper English. And I don’t really believe they enjoy more economies of scale. Regardless, costs of production are relatively larger in developed countries. Even if a Nigerian designer creates just a piece of a particular style or model, the prices can’t be reconciled with the actual production costs.

• Lala

October 19, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Do you know how designers sell in developed nations? Here’s a sneak peek-
      1) you get cash from the bank for your new season’s main collection.
      2) you design and produce samples in the west. Fabric suppliers come to you from India, Turkey, etc
      3) You test, do quality control- etc in Asia. Then mass produce. At this stage, you are still spending borrowed money.
      4) Designer wholesales into retail stores like Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Matches online, Very.co.uk, and 100’s more- plus independent retailers. At this point, they receive their cash, settle the banks, and make their profits.
      5) Even with this- they still have loads of unsold stock at the end of the season. Then, there’s a parallel industry of excess stock who then buy these excess and sell at market stalls in town markets. All of these are wholesale. The designers sell only a few wholesale from their outlets.
      6) Yet, many desigers are facing financial issues- so they have becom more innovative. I met a South African business man in London this year. He designs, then mass produces in Bangladesh. Then a top- designer sticks his label to it.
      This is how many designers augument their main collections these days.

I lie not- I have bought these items and sell online on one of the Nigerian online retailers.
      So, there’s a ready market by which these designers shift their mass market, which is not in Nigeria.
      All in all, the Nigerians have to cover design cost. As for the photography- Sade, try to get someone of at least £250k and below. Many people get married and till today- no wedding photos or vidoes because of irresponsible wedding vendors.
      If any one is getting married in London, there are vendors with reasonable
      prices. issuu.com/britishafrikana/docs/britishafrikana_sept_okt

13. beauty

October 19, 2015 at 11:58 am

Nice one. It’s not only designer clothes and photographers and wedding vendors that are expensive in Nigeria. Every damn thing is!!! Very soon ‘air’ will be packaged and sold I swear!

14. X-Factor

October 19, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Dear Richard, Whilst I agree with a few of your stance, I must beg to say that your argument may be unfairly skewed ( perhaps based on your exposure, available data and understanding of the nigerian market and consumer behaviour) .

You may want to dig deeper into economic dynamics that determines pricing and consumption as it relates specifically to the Nigerian market to grasp and be able to present a more balance/ profound discourse.

• Taijei

October 21, 2015 at 1:28 am

What economic dynamics? The problem is that many designers have priced their goods inappropriately. They go to Lekki Phase 1 in Lagos, Victoria Island and Ikoyi where the highly priced pieces of real estate are located, and rent a shop there for 2-3 million naira. Next, they put in a generator or pay humongous service charges, and then get an expensive interior decorator to construct a posh office for them. Biko, how many outfits do they want to sell to cover those costs?

Must their workshop, showroom, offices be located inside those high-brow areas? Or ultra-expensive malls? Why not look further downtown to Obalende, Agungi in Lekki or Oniru market in Victoria Island to set up shop? You would pay a fraction of that rent that you would spend in Ikoyi, Lekki Phase 1 and mainstream Victoria Island areas.

I used to have a brilliant photographer on Keffi Street near Obalende. Great guy, until he decided he wanted to roll with the Joneses. Next thing, he hired a 3-bedroom flat in Ikoyi for his studio. Then his prices went haywire. I abandoned him sharp-sharp! Na wetin??!

15. Zeeebby

October 19, 2015 at 12:06 pm

I remember a beaded dress by a designer in Lagos nd the lady at the store OH SORRY “SHOWROOM” said “that one is 350…” i am like 350 naira? and she said “THOUSAND NAIRA” ….350 thousand naira for beaded Adire dress…….I have since cautioned my legs for carrying me there.

• Tosin

October 19, 2015 at 2:12 pm

happened to me, 2008 at the height of armuroba moni and lau lau spending.
      i thought it was overpriced in Naira, wasn’t even going to buy, ashay it was British Pounds, loool. PS, a bit off-point tho’ because it was an imported whitish shirt not Naija-made. designer, yes, but it was old and basic and to be valued at a couple of flight tickets, no be me go buy that one. same time i found out what basic hotels cost looool. looool.

16. Oluwatoyin

October 19, 2015 at 12:09 pm

What I think the issue from my experience is that some people will not patronise them if their prices are low. A lot of people equate high price with quality and class, some service renderers reluctantly triple their price because they have been looked down on or thought not to be ‘good at what they do just because their prices are considered cheap or low.

• Somtoo

October 19, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Darling, if the dress looks good, fits me well and quality is good enough for me, why wont i buy it? The writer’s points are valid, Nigerian designers can be really greedy. (Lemme go and even learn how to sew sef)

• Mide

October 19, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Pls come, I teach….

17. mz_daniels

October 19, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Shop Maju. That’s a Nigerian online store I love. Affordable pricing. I must add though, that they need to work on their finishing but I still buy from them, it’s my contribution to society

18. Gbemi

October 19, 2015 at 12:11 pm

This is soo sooo true .. i always wonder who buys all the clothes they make .. Because some are so ridiculously expensive and on top the expensive pieces the finishing is zero .. I have learnt not to believe all the fine fine pictures on ig ..

Another question oooooo Do those Nigerian celeb pay in full for all the designer clothes they wear ?

• Gbemi

October 19, 2015 at 12:12 pm

I meant Nigerian designs

• Tari

October 20, 2015 at 11:23 am

They don’t pay for the clothes. It is part of the perks of celebrity life.

19. Pattybabe

October 19, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I do understand what he is trying to say…i once tried to buy a Nigerian designer’s wear and 100 dollars wasnt enough….i felt really hurt i ended up buying non african gown that was so much cheaper

20. Sim

October 19, 2015 at 12:20 pm

I mean! It’s sooo annoying.
    I bought a jumpsuit from EAT sometime ago for a special occasion, it was 50k, made to measure but my God! the fit was such a disappointment,the trouser area looked funny, the pockets were just off, had to ask them to remove it entirely, the waistline didn’t accentuate anything, and I’ve got a body that doesn’t really need too much help to be accentuated, but let it sha fit right. I sent it back three times, they still didn;t get it, I just collected it like that. My major issue is, if I’m paying 50k for an outfit, it’s the fit and the details I’m paying for, I shouldn’t be struggling again to let it fit right!
    Also, I understand made to measure but is that why I should not breath in the dress? and I kept telling the girl when she was taking the measurements “Leave space, leave space, leave space!!!” mba, she did not hear.
    I just told myself never again, I am NEVER spending money on an overpriced “Nigerian Designer” again! They’re all Hype and nothing else, except I can really see the value, and I hear she has even increased her prices,
    I was very disappointed Ejiro, VERY disappointed

• Mide

October 19, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Sorry about your disappointing experience, but in bespoke measurements you really dont add space when taking the measurements, that’s what easing is for…. the problem is if I had come to u with my tape and non recognisable name, you wouldnt agree that I am better.

• Sim

October 19, 2015 at 3:13 pm

But my dear, shouldn’t you listen to your customers???
      I kept telling the girl, I have lost some weight and know I’ll still go back up, so, please add about half/one full inch to the hips, at least! and plus I REALLY hate wearing stuff that’s too tight, especially around the hips, I’d be so conscious and uncomfortable. Now I’ve only won the jumpsuit once and I can’t fit in it anymore
      I use regular tailors all the time obviously, who doesn’t? and making amendments and returning outfits is pretty normal with them, however, my point is, you have the right to charge a premium as a “designer” based on the DETAILS, the devil is in the details

• Person

October 19, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Do you do wedding dresses?

• Emabinu

October 19, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Please don’t be throw away the baby with the bath water, I apologize on behalf of Ejiro 🙂 and other designers/Artists in Nigeria. Try others you might find one you eventually like.

• Sim

October 19, 2015 at 3:14 pm

I’m actually surprised BN posted this, I was so sure y’all wouldn’t

• Blackbeauty

October 20, 2015 at 9:05 am

Even the average tailors are not exempt. A tailor in PH charged 7K for a gown. No embellishments, whatsoever. Just a V-neck low backed gown with a zipper behind. When I went for the fitting, haaaa! I just had to laugh Picture what your 65 year old spinster aunt in one of these very strict churches would wear.( no offense). The dress was essentially a sack with a V-neck that sat tight on my collarbone. It took 3 readjustments to make it wearable.
      P. S. I’m still on the hunt for a good tailor in PH. Sigh… I miss my lag tailor.

• Oh tailors are no go area

October 20, 2015 at 11:33 pm

I was waiting for someone to talk about pH.
      Akpos will charge someone 15-20k for iro and buba only for you to see a friend with same thing. Who apparently bought same material from market for 3k and sewed it for 1.5k! Spits out bad taste.
      Another tailor charges 10k flat for a simple blouse.
      No wow factor o.
      Please if you are a good tailor in pH. Drop pin abeg.

• Ph tailors are no go area

October 20, 2015 at 11:35 pm

*Oh=ph
      sorry

21. Johnson

October 19, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Nigerian business is based on the principle of extortion. You talk about fashion, please tell me if lagos real estate is of the quality of what you see in Sandton yet the price is ten times more. Or what about retail. go to any of our new fangled malls everything is three to ten times the price of normal. I bought a pair of shoes at Ikeja mall for over a hundred dollars equivalent. The same pair that you can get at half the price in the usa.

22. Ogey

October 19, 2015 at 12:34 pm

You see, this couldn’t have been said any better, i have a desire to start a footwear line just for the middle/lower class because this target group are often forgotten because we cant afford it. I am still waiting for some of these designers to really come and explain why their pricing are the way they are. We really a way forward as this is not helping the Nigerian brands grow at all,

23. T

October 19, 2015 at 12:45 pm

While we all complain, A light bulb just came up in my head lol, Off to bridge the gap I go! hahha

• Tosin

October 19, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Amen to that.

24. "lade

October 19, 2015 at 12:55 pm

@sade, i don’t know about other photographers, but SC George photography gives reasonable prices and there’s so much presence at your wedding . i mean, dude brings about 3 other photographers alongside himself so that they can capture the best moments. He doesn’t charge a “neck-cutting” amount for weddings and you get value for money.

The case of Nigerian “fashion designers” and their unreasonable pricing is however alarming but i believe there are “normal tailors” that don’t charge so much that are also as good , if not better BUT nigerians like the branded “my asoebi was made by a famous fashion designer” tag

• wers

October 19, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Thank u oo @ Lade. There are very good tailors whose names are not all over the place. But Nigerians won’t patronize those. They worship ‘names’ and want to be tagged ‘i-patronized-a-designer’.
      As for me, give me something good. Forget the name

• Sade

October 19, 2015 at 1:28 pm

As stated in my post, it’s not just the price, I was willing to pay however much they charge because of the quality I see him display. But my issue is I didn’t even “price” it, I gave him a date location, was very polite and choosing not to respond anymore is rude. Simply indicate that you already have that date booked. But to totally ignore my request for bank a/c for a deposit is simply unprofessional.

Another one of the culprit is j gate visuals photography . I am simply fed up at this point. I don’t know if this is a naija photography thing. Especially since I’m used to stellar customer service here in the US. I kinda expected the same with naija. Maybe that’s too much to ask ?

• CONGLOMERATE

October 19, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Hi Sade, sorry about your troubles with the photogs. overtime. I know someone who does amazing jobs, with every sense of responsibility and professionalism too. His is instagram page name is ; dipo_ffx
      His contact booking; Bookings: Email: [email protected] , Mobile: 234(0)8025947833

• doris

October 19, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Sade abeg contact geniq fotos and see what stellar customer service is.. you can check them out on instagram.

25. Great Lady

October 19, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Thank you oh Richard. Let them hear. It’s not only designers that need this message. Even makeup artists, imagine a makeup artist charging 200k just for the white wedding makeup alone, then 100k for trad simply because I don’t reside in Lagos,this is excluding airport fares & accommodation. I was beyond shocked, infact disappointed. I’m talking about Beauty Cook.

• doris

October 19, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Omoh why na… haba!!

• dami

October 19, 2015 at 4:24 pm

that beauty cook is extremely ridiculous!!!! charged almost 500k for a wedding and i was like what the hell?? can never patronize her

• Oro nla

October 19, 2015 at 5:23 pm

She should have charge 1million nitori the couple will sleep in her house after the so called wedding…radarada

26. Lala

October 19, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Aunty Bella- sisi eko- biko, paste my epistle!

27. Made

October 19, 2015 at 1:42 pm

i agree oh! I shop at Fashpa online and that’s a brand I love quality stuffs at decent prices

28. Editrix

October 19, 2015 at 1:45 pm

This is spot on! I have emailed and visited a lot of these so called designers and not only are their prices ridiculous, there is zero customer care/professionalism. But there are exception though.

However, i had a new experience last week.

I visited Yagazie’s page and saw the slippers she wore which was made by an emerging Nigerian footwear company, called YILI. I visited their instagram page, saw some beautiful leathers sandals and slippers, and contacted them. I have to saw I was impressed. First, the price point. It costs 6000 naira for a pair of quality leather slippers or 8k for the original snakeskin ones. I couldn’t believe my eyes at such good news! You know how we students are always broke? So seeing an affordable beautiful and colourful slippers is a dream come true! Second, the company is very professional. I sent them email and they replied promptly. Do you know how hard it is for most of these so-called designers to reply mail? Anyway, I plan to purchase a couple of slippers from Yili footwear once I get to Nigeria this christmas (they don’t deliver outside Nigeria). I just hope they remain this way – cheap, professional and courteous to customers — as you know some of these companies start good and thenlose the plot once they blow.

• Tari

October 19, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Most of them sleep on instagram and twitter yet still use hotmail and yahoo for business. Even the yahoo and hotmail, they don’t reply to mails. That is if the mail does not bounce as the account has been deactivated due to inactivity.

29. Oyinkan

October 19, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Yes, Nigerian designers are quite over priced, but I just stumbled on a brand new designer – Keem Harun. Her pricing is very reasonable and her designs are top notch. Bolanle Olukanni wore her piece to the fortyfied concert recently and I was shocked that the price of that piece was less than 100 dollars. She is worth checking out.

30. www.eniwealth79.blogspot.com

October 19, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Very recently, a friend told me she approached one of our naija designers for a dress she wanted to wear to her office gala nite and the designer told her, she was sorry thatshe doesn’t make dresses for employees cos she sounds like she has a budget. I told her it had to be a lie until she swore.

• Jo!

October 19, 2015 at 3:05 pm

PLease, name them. Thanks
      Like, how can someone even say “you SOUND like you have a budget”? How does someone SOUND like they have a budget???

• Mide

October 19, 2015 at 3:49 pm

My dear, everyone is entitled to their budget! Even is she has one, its a matter of telling her if you can work within the budget or not…..that never killed anyone. Of course, with some damn respect!

• doris

October 19, 2015 at 3:16 pm

abeg name the designer fast!!

• Person

October 19, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Itunmo? Please name the designer so I can avoid her like a plague.

31. www.eniwealth79.blogspot.com

October 19, 2015 at 2:08 pm

*she sounded like she had*

32. Mide

October 19, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I’m sorry mr writer, I find your write up to lack objectivity and balance….. ALL I got from this is that once you’re a nigerian designer, you DARE not charge beyond what Mr half-literate Richard can afford! You are certainly a joker! That a few of them take things overboard doesn’t mean you get to refer to ‘all’ as jokers and emerging.even in a global context. It is skewed write ups like this that make dellusional people go to their local tailors to demand couture……

So what if all your relatives in wherever dont know a Deola Sagoe for instance, does that take away from the quality of her work or aesthetic?.. Please take time out of your asos shopping, put brand equity aside, and analyse a D&G dress side by side a Sagoe or even LDA, I dont see a difference, i have both held both in my hand, and to sit here and put a ‘one size fits all’ label on all of them, is pure foolishness!

My mum spends £300 on a plain nightgown from Harrods, which I wont even try on my best day, tell me what is in this nightie, just same old egyptian cotton and the slap on of a popular english label….. if a nigerian designer tried it, you will drag them here, why are you not dragging every designer around d world….or you really believe that those £3000 jackets were made for anything over £800.?… The Global fashion industry plays on psychology, and it would be very hypocritical to single out nigerian brands for this mess.

When our tasteless brothers and sisters go round dishing top dollar for wack-looking original chanels, and the likes, I dont see you crying fowl, are you trying to tell me that every chanel or Westwood product is worth every penny you spend….. tahhhh!!! If you really believe they are rightly priced cos mainstream vogue tells you so, then you’re even worse than those ‘made in essex’ children who believe that their orange tans and wacky burberry makes them look posh!

The nigerian fashion industry is indeed young, and sufficiently troubled with a lot to learn, but if you want to analyse the nigerian industry, please analyse with facts, not generalisations…..take a sample, get the products in hand, not just on screen, analyse the environment they have to contend with, and go from there…. How many diors do u think will be able to survive doing business in nigeria? -thats another entire issue right there.
    There are tools to help you…..do like-for-like analysis, do total product life-cycle comparisons, investigate their processes, examine known and unknown brands, get on d ground and do PRIMARY research! Dont be lazy!

You talk of website, with your mediocre one-pager, are you being serious right now?. I wouldnt challenge you on the technicalities of the global and local industries, as I wouldn’t waste more breathe wondering if you can analyse quality, You lack range and depth, even on the fashion subject, so I can only encourage you to invest in reading books about garment construction and the apparel industries before opening your half-bred mouth to spew half truths in a bid for undue recognition. Get off the internet, read books and educate yourself! Fashion is a sufficiently authored field!

• Critical Thinking Lawyer

October 19, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Sorry @ Mide BUT Most of what you just spewed is garbage.

Maybe if you re-read, take a few breath and construct your argument, maybe, just maybe i or the writer may see your point.

Your argument is flawed on so many ground, the writer attacked the concept/practice NOT any particular designer. You sound like you have a point but you lost it all when you started attacking the writer instead of the writer’s view/argument. Oh and it’s obvious you are promoting Deola Sagoe, at least, try to be a little discreet about it.

I repeat, attack the writer’s point of view, not HIS person – when people argue that way, they come off to me as being “weak”

• Mide

October 19, 2015 at 4:46 pm

I attacked the inadequate researcher that his article revealed him to be…. for you to be a critic, you muct know your subject matter beyond generalisations….. thats where he failed. You think a Roger Ecbert got to his position by generalising??… I attached the absence of a rounded arguement, and yes his mediocre one page site, cos he attacked that in other people!

If I sound like I am promoting Deola Sagoe it is only because I have felt her work, same as I have felt a westwood or d n g or an LDA….. you didnt accuse me of promoting those and you’re talking of flawed argument. I used those cos i have been in a room with this same arguement amongst some serious industry stakeholders, and she was one of our case studies…… I personally cant afford to buy Deola, but it doesnt give me d right to lie that they arent worth it to those who can afford it! Deola doesnt feed me, so I have no reason to argue blindly in her favour! Nigerian fashion industry isn’t one you can adequately dissect by reading a few opinion articles, and certainly not this type!

I gave examples of brands/retailers doing same abroad, I mentioned their average production costs, and how they all play on the public’s psychology, the overpricing IS a global problem, you cant single out Nigeria! …. other than call all that ‘garbage’, you haven’t made any sensible argument…. mr/miss critical lawyer.

• mahki

October 19, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Well said!

• Tari

October 19, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Seems you poor eyesight prevented you from seeing the specific examples he listed in the piece?
      Si ebe a buo!!

• Idomagirl

October 20, 2015 at 5:33 am

Abeg calm down, read what he wrote properly before attacking.

33. mrs chidukane

October 19, 2015 at 2:29 pm

You just took this article from my head. The one that kills me is that these designers don’t ever put prices on anything. In Vogue and all ,you’ll see Prada bag $1,000,Nigerian designers will never do anything of the sort. They will always be so secretive and expect you to seek them out. Fabric of 1k you’ll want to charge 30k for an outfit made from it. Forget the overhead and costs and bla bla, every business has those. Nigerian designers need to do better.

• Aden

October 19, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Hi you can contact [email protected] for affordable womenswear bespoke tailoring
      Thanks

34. Zeeebby

October 19, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Tailors have started joining in….. I bought Ankara for 2500 and tailor wan charge me 10k to sew it ….

• Mide

October 19, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Why not buy a machine and sew it? It should save u a lot more money!

Abi if bread is #100, why buy burger for #1500-#3500…

• Koffie

October 19, 2015 at 4:31 pm

You’re allowing your emotions get the better of you, you need to calm down. The writer’s justification of those Harrods and other high-end designers is that they basically sell the brand name (and rightly so) plus quality. Most of the Nigerian designers have not attained that sort of brand name for them to charge high-end prices. I really feel if you were being logical, you’d see the truth in this. We can’t all be wrong.
      All the best in your designing career and you should consider dropping your deets for people on here who’d want to give you a try.

• Magz

October 20, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Hi Mide, you really need to calm down! We get that you are a designer. I think you are missing the point that writer was trying to make; most times, the price doesn’t match the quality.
      I have several pictures of some designs that the seams were not done very well on this BN.

If i am paying N100,000 for a dress, the dress had better be so good that i would have basically no complaints. I paid a designer friend N20,000 to make a dress, i almost cried when she delivered the dress to me and this was after 3 fittings. Meanwhile, my Iya Bobola “tailor” charged just N3,500 and she delivered way better (a more complicated style o).

You want to prove him wrong? Drop your details and let us know how good you are! And this attacking of people is not a good way to showcase yourself!

Most times, it is not about not having the money, it is about what I’m gonna get for the money!

35. Tayo

October 19, 2015 at 3:15 pm

SPOT ON!
    Nigerian designers, retailers and brands have failed to understand save for a few like The5kshop.com , and maybe Shopmaju.com and eveandtribe.com that to make actual MONEY from the country , you need to tap into your 60% of the population that are earning between 300-1000 dollars !!!
    Reduce your ridiculous margin and sell MORE!

Like he said, these Nigerian exorbitant brands sell sub par goods that makes you wonder what exactly you are paying for. There you may come with the argument of power and labour is hard in Nigeria but go to Lagos market you will find a brilliant work force producing quality pieces for way LESS than these Faux luxury Nigerian designers.

• Lanvin

October 19, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Tayo! You are making sense mehn ! Love the5kshop, bought two jackets from them just last week

• [email protected]

October 19, 2015 at 11:42 pm

I agree with those who mentioned the5kshop and in Abuja I buy from room624.com these are people that understand their market.

• mahki

October 19, 2015 at 11:40 pm

You have hit the nail on the head, period!

36. doris

October 19, 2015 at 3:24 pm

that how I walked into grey velvet one day o saw a cord lace (take note cord lace) jumpsuit checked price 60k.. I checked again 60k

I went to the market to buy the material the next day, bough same material, looked for a local tailor explained meticulously what I wanted and 10k gave me the outfit

37. ada

October 19, 2015 at 3:32 pm

is there any point of bothering…cus its ridiculous wen i was in abuja last year..they dont even put the thousands in the price..for something u could see in zara way cheaper…i was like its not their fault its the Nigerian mentality…quality should equal what your paying for..brand names are expensive because quality has been proven overtime….not cus ur popular in nigeria

38. Soso

October 19, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Beyond this whole argument of valuing Nigerian designers to foreign designers, overhead costs etc. My question is how many Nigerians make N150,000/month?
    And if most of us do not make that amount, why are your prices above our earnings, and where do you expect us to get the money from?

As much as you are a designer, we respect that and value your work and contribution towards the fashion industry in Africa. But, we also want to wear your items, but we cant if they are overpriced.

39. Goldenchyld

October 19, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Well written post!! For me, I feel Clemas Couture has superb finishing and can go for a luxury brand!

40. Tari

October 19, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Interesting topic.
    When you complain, they either say you are not their target market or call you a hater. Those in the know have been complaining about their finishing for years, while it has not gotten better, the price has gotten higher.
    The often unsaid truth is that the fashion thing is a cover for other activities for many of them, so the need for proper pricing is non-existent. They feel that the pricier the item, the louder the announcement that they have arrived. Irrespective of whether anyone buys it because I said earlier, it is not a source of livelihood for most. So it does not matter.
    For those who have a heart and skill for the craft, the business side is seriously lacking. The lack of enabling environment is a different sermon entirely.

41. The real D

October 19, 2015 at 5:16 pm

I see comments on articles like this and I really begin to see how perception differs a great deal!!! Some read this and their personal interpretation was that the author was bashing Nigerian designers while some like myself read it and see the author giving valuable pointers to many a designer on how to be successful.
    For those defending all or some Nigerian designers, the point Mr. Richard is trying to make is that no Nigerian designer has made a name of themselves like Gucci and company so when pricing Do Not use Gucci and company as a yardstick. Why? Some may ask as some will argue that the quality of Gucci is the same as some unknown named Nigerian designer, the answer lies in the fact that even Gucci did not start at the price points you are seeing and using as a yardstick today. Chanel and their counterparts have worked hard by CONSISTENTLY delivering products OVER TIME that has enabled them put those price tags on their goods today. Key words here consistently and time. It takes time and consistency to build a brand name which NO Nigerian designer can boast of having today. I mean Gucci started out in 1921, Chanel as way back as 1909. So they have made a name for themselves overtime (brand) that is now synonymous to quality but someone that started in 1990/ 2001 or even 2010 is now thinking because they use the same material as Gucci they need to charge the same price as Gucci forgetting the importance and sweat that goes into building a brand name. Yes, maybe just maybe you bring the same quality as Gucci, Chanel and co but guess what you don’t bring to the table??? the same sweat equity that goes with a brand name so you CANNOT charge for something you are not offering.
    Build a brand name, by pricing your goods competitively and then some day your kids will be able to sit comfortably like the founders of this popular name brands are today.

42. Aden

October 19, 2015 at 6:23 pm

You can mail [email protected] for affordable womenswear bespoke tailoring
    Thanks

43. everygirl

October 19, 2015 at 9:58 pm

I emailed Huddaya in March, twice, still no reply to this day. I took my business to South Africa and paid almost nothing for something with impeccable fit and finish. South African wedding dress designers don’t play and they are so much cheaper and way more professional.

• Ph tailors are no go area

October 21, 2015 at 12:19 am

Please drop the South Africa designer’s contact. Let us appreciate them for being so kind to you *wink* lol
      No am serious!

44. Femi

October 19, 2015 at 10:47 pm

Deola sagoe doesn’t have a Nigerian as her tailor. All her tailors are Asians. I believe the reason people patronise Nigerian designer is because they expect to see the difference in the product when compared to that of a roadside tailor. But here is where the problem is – your Nigerian designer hire a tailor to create her designs, explaining her intricate details in the product but our tailors here are very lazy. They ignore the little things you want on the product therefore product comes out with little or no detailing and awful finishing. These Asians won’t try that. So a lot of things go on behind the scene that customers don’t see. You sometimes have a to create a new piece when ur tailor has ignored so many things you wanted. In between production, you have to hustle for more jobs, reply emails, post on your social platforms, source for quality fabrics and so on. Meanwhile the big brands abroad has – creative team, PR, head of business, concept, quality control and so many other units. So pending the time the Nigerian company get as big as your channel you have to be patient.
    I’m not even discussing pricing here.

45. mahki

October 19, 2015 at 11:35 pm

I totally agree! It has even gotten to a point that even an upcoming designer who’s designs are within the $100 range are not being taken serious. I mean c’mon! Ankara skirt for N20,000, haba! Somethings are not even realistic! Let’s ask ourselves, the people we’re imitating, do they splurge like this? the main aim of every designer should be to make his/her products a household name regardless of class. If things were so pricey, i’m sure we won’t have fashion bloggers for brands like Zara etc
    Nigerian designers it’s not all about the price tag!

46. e

October 20, 2015 at 12:08 am

God bless who ever wrote this. I have had the same complaint which has turned me away from patronizing african designers. You are not there yet but you want to charge same price the international designers are charging and you have the nerve to defend it that if i can pay them, i can pay you too. Lets not even start on the poor workmanship. Like I always tell them, I can afford to wear the high end designer clothes repeatedly to different events. The made in naija designer brands are not universal wears and add the high price on it……thanks but no thanks

47. S!

October 20, 2015 at 1:30 am

I want to use Zara, a multi billion $ company for example. How many Zara products are above $100? Unless some of their shoes, bags and coats, you won’t find a lot of things close to $100. And today the owner of Zara is the 4th richest man in the world.

48. Idomagirl

October 20, 2015 at 5:43 am

Thank you for this article!!!!! Ah. Come to Abuja and see some of these overpriced Nigerian pieces with poor finishing & you might just gauge your eyes out with frustration! Arghhhhh….

They are more concerned with how the pictures look on instagram than proper customer service or the finishing of the pieces.

Someone puts sequins or cheap glass buttons she bought from Wuse market on an Ankara jacket and it’s now N20k. Hian.

Regular tailors can be frustrating, but they are way better than many of these ‘designers’ abeg. Carry your cloth go tailor for market, sew better thing waka comot. No time.

49. chee

October 21, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Lately,I’ve been reasoning on this and how I spend so much paying tailors!, a lightbulb just lit in my head,no much visits to these tailors cos they ain’t smiling!

50. honeyposh

October 22, 2015 at 12:52 pm

@ sade please go to neptunesphotograpy on instagram and look through their pictures. Excellent customer service,super effective delivery and very very affordable,pre wedding shoot,intro,engagement,court wedding,nikkai,church wedding name it……. they are the next best thing to slice bread winks

51. Hateignorance

November 12, 2015 at 3:21 pm

When you are buying your givenchy tee shirt at 800 dollars u no go complain –

Pls there’s a lot that goes into pricing brands. First of all digital printing is expensive – a lot of brands that go into expensive rates are brands with fabrics created specially for them – also mark up for stores is another reason why prices for Nigerian brands are so high but there are a lot of good reasons why Nigerian brands can be expensive – especially quality brands . I think it is quite ignorant to call it overpriced – it is just not in your budget and there are ready to wear brands that are cheaper – stop vying for the luxury ones if your pocket no fit

52. Demi Akin

November 15, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Like you read my mind! Nothing more to say

53. bunmi

March 9, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Because you are not their target market.