Scoop

The Most Controversial Bill Cosby Cover Story Yet? Check Out Ebony Magazine’s Nov. 2015 Issue

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

image

This cover from Ebony magazine was unveiled a couple of hours ago and it has already caused quite a lot of controversy.

The cover of the November 2015 issue shows a popular photo from America’s loved sitcom ‘The Cosby Show’ but instead of having just the photo Ebony magazine depicts it as a shattered photo/image.

In an excerpt from the November issue of EBONY, Goldie Taylor explores the intensely complicated relationship between the fallen icon, his most beloved character and the broken hearts of Black America.

A number of social media users feel the African American community should stick together no matter what while others feel it is an accurate look into the Bill Cosby saga.

BNers, what are your thoughts on the cover?

1. Geebabe

October 16, 2015 at 11:52 am

Totally appropriate. His image as a “family man” is shattered.

2. Prince

October 16, 2015 at 11:54 am

I’m sure the publisher knows what he/she will be facing before coming out with the cover. As for my take on it, I think the torment is kinda too much on Cosby, still there’s no justification for the things he did.

3. Avosiya

October 16, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I don’t think the whole cosby show image should be tainted just because of the scandal……..It was a great show. (Its sad but as much as I loved Cliff, I don’t care so much about Cosby himself. It was just a show) This is the issue with carrying ‘role models’ on our heads like they are gods.

• Iris

October 16, 2015 at 2:15 pm

I agree. It makes me a little uncomfortable to look at the show again but I think people need to consciously try to separate Cliff Huxtable from Bill Cosby. It was a good show, and more importantly, he wasn’t the only star.
      As for this: ‘a number of social media users feel the African American community should stick together no matter what…’, if we replaced ‘African American’ with ‘white’ the roar of ‘racism’ would have shattered glass. Nonsense.

4. beauty

October 16, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Damn, that’s something! I would be so hurt if I was Bill. Oh well, it’s sad, but the Black American community should have stuck together indeed. There’s Brotherhood in Unity…

5. Puzzles

October 16, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Leave the Huxtables alone!

My all-time favorite show.

6. nyclawyergirl

October 16, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Indeed Cosby’s image is tainted but I LOVED this show as a kid and the spin off A Different World. In fact, A Different World left such a lasting impression on me as a kid. I could not wait to grow up and attend a historically black college or university (although in the end I went where I got the scholarships lol). Both shows provided positive images of Black Americans during a time where it was difficult to see people who looked liked me on TV. Sure, there were other shows but this show was more polished and showed America what a Black middle class family looks like. I say his work lives on.

• Sunshine

October 16, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I agree, A Different World and The Cosby Show, were my biggest influences as a child. Although I’m not AA, I am from the Caribbean, there were not a lot of US shows or British shows showing positive images of black people, Both shows were positive and entertaining. Thanks Bill Cosby.

What Bill Cosby did not not right, but what is so amazing to me is that people talk about Elvis like he was God and he was a pedophile, as are many famous rock musicians and actors, but somehow their whiteness excludes them from folly… Go figure

7. Tosin

October 16, 2015 at 5:43 pm

lovely show, lovely photo, perfect cover concept.

8. Jerome Almon

October 16, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Why doesn’t Dateline run the program is has on girls voluntarily taking date rape drugs to have SEX? Read the articles:

Sex, Lies, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell

The Media Lynching of Bill Cosby

Col. Wil Riggins

School Shooter Problem Solved: Girls DHS, Drive-Bys, Reality Tv At Center Of Issue

9. peter

October 17, 2015 at 1:32 am

this man should be left alone

10. Badek

October 18, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Nobody is perfect and if everything seems perfect, then something is wrong somewhere. We all make mistakes and though we face consequences, it should not define us forever when we truly and deeply apologize.
    It has nothing to do with families, I refuse to use the word black or coloured because be it black or white, we face the same issues. We don’t have to be defined by colour; if you need colour, please crayons are full of them. Life is not smooth but we can always get back up and move on in forgiveness.