News

Why is Port Harcourt Airport at the Top of the World’s Worst Airports for 2015 List?

BellaNaija.com

Port Harcourt Airport
Why are “we” always topping these negative lists?

Today, CNN published an article on the World’s Worst Airports for 2015. The source of the data was travel website – The Guide to Sleeping in Airports.

This year’s survey, which asked fliers to identify the world’s worst and best aviation terminals, attracted 26,297 qualifying responses.

Despite the site’s name, airports weren’t just rated according to how easy it is to take a nap while inside them.

Sleeping in Airports’ readers were asked to judge facilities in four categories: comfort, conveniences, cleanliness and customer service.

What landed Port Harcourt at the top of the pile?

Respondents reportedly complained about unpleasant and unhelpful staff, alleged corruption, a severe lack of seating, broken air-conditioning and the fact that the arrivals hall was inside a tent.

“The good news is that some areas of the terminal have been recently renovated, meaning you can expect actual walls, floors and windows,” says the website.

“Though it is a far cry from reasonable, improvements are being made.”

Worst airports of 2015
1. Port Harcourt International Airport (Nigeria)

2. King Abdulaziz International Airport (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)

3. Tribhuvan International Airport (Kathmandu, Nepal)

4. Tashkent International Airport (Uzbekistan)

5. Simon Bolivar International Airport (Caracas, Venezuela)

6. Toussaint Louverture International Airport (Port au Prince, Haiti)

7. Hamid Karzai International Airport (Kabul, Afghanistan)

8. Tan Son Nhat International Airport (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam)

9. Benazir Bhutto International Airport (Islamabad, Pakistan)

10. Beauvais-Tille International Airport (Paris)

1. Flemzy

October 20, 2015 at 9:42 pm

I would have been VERY shocked, if there was an international airport worse than that in Port Harcourt in its present state.
    Any time I land that airport enh, reach the “arrival Hall” my spirit weakens within me. Then how they literally Beg for money at Departures, just takes you to another level of “what is this?”

• Dara

October 21, 2015 at 12:52 am

Port harcourt is like a bombsite. It’s such a shame and should be closed down. The main airport in Lagos, murtala is awful. I’m surprised, how international artists who go through such dungeon haven’t complained. When they speak the truth, naijas will insult and abuse them. So, they will rather live in such deception. The outcry will force these evil leaders to submit to change.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

October 21, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Yesterday afternoon, I was in a meeting at work and one of the discussions around the table was regarding a project we’re looking at doing in Nigeria. The colleague in charge of liaising with the client in Naija raised the possibility of them wanting to see us at a face-to-face meeting and in almost the same breath, he said if that was going to be happening, nobody should expect him to go. His manager piped up and pretty much supported the notion of avoiding travelling there as much as possible. Me come start to vex (especially as that same manager just got back from Uruguay, after pro-actively finagling a business trip there to see clients… abi you wan tell me say Uruguay and Naija no be mates when it comes to “dangerous countries”? Taa gba fuo…)

So, I turned to the complainer and said he shouldn’t be worried about visiting Lagos as he’ll be assured of quite a lot of safety there and it’s nowhere close to any areas where Boko Haram or kidnapping activity is prevalent. However, as the words were leaving my mouth, I just remembered the airport… and after my initial attempt to convince him otherwise, I just shut up for the rest of the meeting because I told myself, “see man wey don already pre-judge Naija, so by the time he lands there and goes through the trauma of MMIA, how do you want to convince him that anything else to be found in the land is good?”.

Honestly, I was filled with righteous anger when the conversation started (especially as na money wey don carry them go find work for Naija) but by the time I started to consider what a first-time biased visitor might see upon arrival in the country, my spirit just grew tired and come no get strength to argue over the topic again (although in the past, I’ve given lots of positive advice to more adventurous colleagues travelling down there for the first time and they just took all the good + bad they saw there in their own stride).

Our major international airports continue to disgrace the country and its citizens but nobody in Government seems to see anything wrong with their deplorable conditions. Omagwa (which in its present condition is a thousand shades worse than MMIA) fully deserves that position as No. 1 on this list – maybe the shame of seeing CNN put this up for global display will lead Buhari’s government to force “change” to happen in the matter.

• ATL's finest

October 21, 2015 at 1:07 am

Lol @ ur spirit weakens.. I’m shocked that it’s worse than MMIA lol.. Well the heat for baggage claim na DIE

• Tosin

October 21, 2015 at 10:01 am

I can’t believe Nigeria has competition. Now I wonder that Abdulaziz Jeddah place is like. Or was this thing rigged, because hmmm

2. The real D

October 20, 2015 at 10:06 pm

I was not surprised to see Nigeria on there. Lagos airport sef, the bathrooms/washrooms are deplorable, the luggage carousels too and then air conditioning never seems to be functioning. I don’t understand why maintenance and upkeep just seems to elude us in the country.
    However, i have to say i am surprised to see Saudi Arabia on the list, No i have never visited the country but for such a rich oil country i expected it to be in the same class as Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar.

3. Ayishaa

October 20, 2015 at 10:09 pm

That should come as no surprise. If the renovation doesn’t finish soon, it will top the worst airport list again.

4. Dayo

October 20, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I am surprised that Muritala Airport is not included.

• Teekay

October 20, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Honestly am as surprised as you are dayo! Because it you see dubai international airport muritala cnt even stand 1/4 sigh and we had aviation minster who travel round the world and refuse to develop her own country! It is well with nigeria

5. chi-e-z

October 20, 2015 at 11:30 pm

Dang uzbekistan and pakistan airports better than us… chai but why everywhere else got city but ours only gat Nigeria like what y’all trying 2 say…The Guide to sleeping at Airports.

6. bruno

October 21, 2015 at 12:04 am

” unpleasant and unhelpful staff,”

LOL. that’s how all service providers are in Nigeria, from the people who work in the banks down to the people who work in the eateries, all of them are unpleasant.

they are so angry about their pathetic lives. they behave as if its ur fault that they have shitty lives.

u hate ur position in life, fine, but pls don’t try to pour blame on me, cause I dont know u to begin.

• mee

October 21, 2015 at 1:48 pm

lolll bruno…good point but you don’t do subtle do you?

7. That mess!!

October 21, 2015 at 12:30 am

Is that an airport;??A big hiss!! I wonder why it’s call an international airport…It doesn’t even qualify as a local airport..

8. Made

October 21, 2015 at 2:53 am

Seems like those of you complaining about MMIA traveled a really long time ago. The airport has really been upgraded. Traveled last year October and this year and as far as the facilities are concerned, they have been effective. Lovely tiles have been used in the restrooms and there’s water available too. There’s even a rugged praying area for Muslims there and an ablution area in the restroom. You know say KFC and other shops dey their duty free sha..the staff @ passport control are courteous and professional. The air conditioner and carousel definitely worked too. Still a far cry from dubai intl airport but it’s not bad at all.

• ijay

October 21, 2015 at 5:13 am

Thank you oh. I was surprised that ppl are still complaining about MMIA. It has really improved and is better than some American airports I’ve been in. Granted there is still work to do but it’s a far cry from what it was before.

9. Cher

October 21, 2015 at 5:22 am

To be fair this airport deserves the number one spot .

Imagine being there while raining and waiting for them to bring your bag . Chaiiiiii

I will say that the other side is nice when you check in .

Also there is no such thing as a line in this place . If you got money you own the lines .

10. Chika

October 21, 2015 at 6:01 am

I am yet to see or hear of any worse than Port Harcourt. This year’s sallah, I was made to retrieve my luggage close to the Tarmac. I have pictures to prove my claims.

11. Ola

October 21, 2015 at 6:45 am

The first time i travelled to Lagos in 2012 i was disappointed at how messy the airport was. Coming from OR Tambo int. to MMIA… My God, i was immediately home sick. there AC was not working and everything was done manually.
    Then i travelled back in 2014, They have really improved. i was happy that they didnt open my bag and search it like i was hiding drugs. and the process was faster than it was in 2012.
    No airport in Africa beats O.R Tambo int.

• Tari

October 21, 2015 at 8:06 am

None at all comes close to OR

• Anon

October 21, 2015 at 9:38 am

That you have been to right? Try the ones in Sharm, Mauritius, Marrakesh and Enfidha. Architectural wonders.

12. Tari

October 21, 2015 at 8:05 am

I have several reasons why I have given up on this country of ours but that airport nailed it for me. Until two months ago I used that airport almost fortnightly, so my impressions are not based on a singular visit.
    Stella Oduah led ministry awarded aa that airport renovation to some entity for hundreds of millions. Part of the publicly declared scope were brand new arrival and departure lounges. More than three years after, they still use a small tent for baggage collection, no arrival lounge and the supposedly completed departure lounge is an eyesore. The restrooms were flooded weeks after commissioning, some of the urinals were marked NOT IN USE a week after opening, wires are still hanging around in the check in counter, during my last visit there was no air-conditioning in the departure hall, just a few standing fans doting the building, the paint work started peeling off a month after opening etc.
    Meanwhile, the contract has been sumarrily abandoned and I am certain the contract fee paid up in full and Stella Oduah is rolling her bulgy eyeballs and over-caked face in the Senate as a distinguished senator.
    When Amaechii threw tantrums over the abandonment of the project, he was laughed to scorn and told it was his reward for opposing Jonathan and his angelic wife.

13. Chi!

October 21, 2015 at 9:02 am

N dis is where Rotimi Amaechi was the immediate past governor n dis is where he travelled thru to go n cause havoc all over Nigeria against goodluck jonathan n he was nominated as a Minister in Nigeria,he shd come n become d Minister n let us see!!!Nonsense!!!

• Tari

October 21, 2015 at 10:07 am

The airport is a federal facility and the ‘renovation’ was done by Stella Oduah. A current distinguished senator of the Federal Republic.

14. beauty

October 21, 2015 at 9:30 am

This is unforgivable! All the past governors of Rivers should be sanctioned!!!

15. Mabel

October 21, 2015 at 11:42 pm

A tent though?

16. Shooppy

October 22, 2015 at 2:32 pm

U neva see.any other word apart from worse