News

Gay Nigerians share Stories of Abuse by Christians & Muslims, Police Brutality & Death | Watch the PBS Documentary

BellaNaija.com

This morning, BN TV published the PBS documentary focusing on corruption in Nigeria. That episode was focused on corruption in Nigeria. This one tackles “being gay in Nigeria”.

The official synopsis says;
Nigeria made same-sex marriage and gay rights activism illegal last January. Since then, gay Nigerians say abuse and extortion have become commonplace by state-sponsored vigilantes, police and public mobs. As part of a week-long series “Nigeria: Pain and Promise” special correspondent Nick Schifrin reports on the threats and violence that LGBT citizens face in that country.

Read the Transcript courtesy PBS
JUDY WOODRUFF: We now turn to our series “Nigeria: Pain and Promise.” Tonight, Special Correspondent, Nick Schifrin, details the abuse and mistreatment of gays in the country, by law enforcement and by Muslim and Christian groups. A warning, it contains some disturbing images.
NICK SCHIFRIN: In Bauchi, Nigeria this House of God has become a home for hate. Do you believe that gay men deserve the same rights as everyone else?

JOSHUA MAINA, Reverend, Bauchi Christian Association: The gay man knows that because of his practices, he has no right equal to another person.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Reverend Joshua Maina leads the state’s 50,000 Christians. As his service begins, the band starts a hymn about Christ’s sacrifice and then it delivers a warning: “end times are here.” Reverend Maina says they’re here because of one thing.

JOSHUA MAINA: Homosexuality, sodomy. It is evil to this country. It is evil to our culture. It is evil to what we believe and that is Christianity. It is evil to what we inherited from our fathers. It is evil against anything that we hold so dear. Preach against them. Stand against them. If you want to go by them, the wrath of god will fall upon you.

NICK SCHIFRIN: In the west, his sermon has become the outlier. In Nigeria, it’s red meat;

ESTHER DAUDA, Parishioner: It’s very abominable and I think that is one of the reasons why Sodom and Gomorrah had to be wiped out of the face of the earth, because of homosexualism and whatever.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Pope Francis said, “Who am I to judge a gay man?” Why do you think you should judge?

JOSHUA MAINA: If there is a gay, you judge him based on the law of the land, and if the land says he should be killed, leave that one to the law enforcement agent.

NICK SCHIFRIN: The problem is that’s exactly what’s happened. Last January, Nigeria made same-sex marriage and advocating for gay rights crimes. Since then, nobody’s been sentenced, but police, State-sponsored vigilantes, even public mobs are accused of exploiting the law to abuse and extort. In another video, a mob accuses a man of being gay and then the accusers take off their belts. Gay Nigerians say since the law was passed this kind of abuse has become common, and not just by vigilantes.

BRIAN IFENNA: They beat me. They would hit me with a gun on my body. One of them wanted to take a plywood to put on my ass because he said I should lie down.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Brian Ifenna says police officers picked him off the street and beat him inside this police station.

BRIAN IFENNA: The law has given them the right to do what they want to do to anyone who is an LGBT person.

NICK SCHIFRIN: In Lagos, Brian and a group of gay men agreed to meet and openly discuss their homosexuality.

MAN: You remove yourself from Facebook. You remove yourself from social media because one day you might talk trap.

SIMEON LANRE, LGBT Activist: Once you’re gay, you’re gay. This thing is actually a mindset. You can’t erase it. This is who you are.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Simeon Lanre is gay and HIV positive.

SIMEON LANRE: Has it gone to that extent that my people started excluding me simply because I’m HIV positive or what? So, I was, that’s how I got fired from my place of work.

NICK SCHIFRIN: You’ve considered committing suicide?

SIMEON LANRE: Yes, actually, because I was like, positive because that was actually the last thing I was expecting.

MAN: Why do you think this law is actually passed?

NICK SCHIFRIN: The law doesn’t only punish same-sex marriage. By advocating for gay rights, these men could be sentenced to 10 years. By talking to them, I also could be sentenced to 10 years.

PETER KASS, LGBT activist: We’re responsible for ourselves, okay?

MAN: Yes.

PETER KASS: We cannot have heterosexuals come and be responsible for you.

NICK SCHIFRIN: 27-year-old Peter Kass is the group’s organizer. He’s been a gay rights activist since before the law, ever since one day in church his pastor told him.

PETER KASS: You’re gay. You’re homosexual. You’re perverted. You’re possessed, and it started to rain all slandering words and me, that I needed deliverance and that I was trying to bring Sodom and Gomorrah, into their church, and not only that, that I was the reason why God was not answering their prayers.

NICK SCHIFRIN: can you show me your house?

PETER KASS: Okay. Why not?

NICK SCHIFRIN: Down the street, Kass shows me the safe house he runs for gay men and women. It’s often overwhelmed. And you have to share this space with how many people?

PETER KASS: Seven people, sometimes.

NICK SCHIFRIN: You said yourself this is relatively basic. Do you wish you could offer more?

PETER KASS: Yeah, I wish I could offer more, seriously, because we have too many issues of the LGBT being kicked out of their homes because they are gay.

NICK SCHIFRIN: When Brian told his family he was gay, he was disowned.

BRIAN IFENNA: My dad said he doesn’t want to see me in the house. He doesn’t want to – that it’s better for him to have no son instead of a gay son. I’m so scared of meeting anyone. I hardly meeting people. I need people to come see me.

NICK SCHIFRIN: As difficult as life is for gay Christians in Nigeria, it’s worse for Muslims.

In Northern Nigeria, the Bouche Security Committee enforces this state’s Islamic law. Every night they walk through alleys and markets, hoping to punish what they consider vice. For them, the criminals include gay men. Their leader believes homosexuality is the same as pedophilia.

Why do you equate gay activity with pedophilia, with children?

AMINU ABUBAKER, Bauchi Security Group: It’s what is happening. It’s what is happening. How did they start to do it? A child who is not matured enough to understand something and somebody who is a gay, an adult, will now draw him, entice him.

NICK SCHIFRIN: After they patrol, they’re calm. In this community, they’re the hunters; their prey are terrified.

MAN: The vigilante people came and raided the hotel, so we were arrested and taken to prison. We were seriously tortured; beaten; persecuted; insulted in the prison. Look at these pigs. Look at these animals.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Can you tell me what the vigilantes did to you?

MAN: I was seriously beat up. If they took me to Sharia Court, I think they can even stone me to death.

NICK SCHIFRIN: These three men are gay and Muslim, and live in northern Nigeria under Islamic law. It’s too risky to show their faces.

MAN: You can’t display your sexuality. So it becomes, like, you’re just hiding, you know, you don’t want anyone to know what your sexuality is.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Because what would happen if you displayed your sexuality?

MAN: You might be killed.

NICK SCHIFRIN: What happened when your family found out you were gay?

MAN: My father said I had to promise him that I would quit.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Quit being gay?

MAN: Yes, or else my parents threatened to disown me, so I had to pretend.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Does your family know you’re gay?

MAN: No. I have to lie to them that I’m not. If they knew that I’m gay, they would cut any relation with me. So I was forced to get married.

NICK SCHIFRIN: You were forced to get married. What’s that like?

MAN: I have not any option. I don’t like it. I’m forcing myself to be something that I’m not.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Newly elected Nigerian President, Mohammed Buhari, has promised change, but so far, that doesn’t extend to gay men. On Twitter, Buhari’s spokesman said, in a meeting in Washington, Buhari was point blank: Sodomy is against the law in Nigeria and abhorrent to our culture. In a second tweet the spokesman added, “the issue was not pushed.”

Despite some international protests, U.S. officials tell PBS Newshour they don’t push the issue because they fear public criticism would backfire; but gay Nigerians say that policy helps increase public hate and private pain.

PETER KASS: When somebody tells you, you cannot amount to anything because of your sexuality, when the pastor tells you you’re going to go to hellfire because you’re homosexual, a lot of people’s spirits get broken. Sometimes I get calls, I get text messages, I get e-mails threatening my life. That’s– if you don’t stop what you’re doing as an activist, as a gay activist, then, we’ll kill you. I mean, sometimes I get scared but I tell myself, no. If I don’t fight, who will?

NICK SCHIFRIN: That courage comes from the brotherhood that their religions and their state try to deny them.

On a day like today, when you’re with this group, how do you feel?

BRIAN IFENNA: I feel at home. I feel welcomed. I feel loved. I feel like I’m with a family.

NICK SCHIFRIN: Where do you get your courage from?

MAN: From friends that always encourage me, that, look, we are all human beings. So I have the courage, I can stand firm, and say, yes, I’m gay and say, yes, I’m gay but still I’m very, very careful because it can cost me my life.

Nick Schifrin, PBS Newshour, in Northern Nigeria.

1. abby

December 7, 2015 at 10:01 pm

We have a lot of disturbing issues in this country than gayism. ..can this pple leave us alone for once?

• Atarodo

December 8, 2015 at 4:16 am

For all the bible police out there, I look forward to the day we will speak about sexual immorality and not only homesexuality. Adultery oh, fornication oh, beastiality, pedophilia oh, they are all one thing. Some of you here are dropping these comments from your side chicks bed oh. Some of you are nowhere near married but you know all the egg plant and kpomo Lagos has to offer. All I’m saying is, if we are gonna hate on homo sexuality, let’s be hard on all the sins

• Moi

December 8, 2015 at 3:40 pm

We talk about all those except you choose to ignore them. By the way, mentioning all those means you know that they are bad. Gay folks will always talk about the hypocrisy of heterosexuals and I am baffled as if hypocrisy is non-existent in their community. Nobody is killing any gay person in Nigeria. It is only discussed on social media. Their problem starts when they want to practice their sexuality before our faces. For crying out loud, its sickening. So long as the human anatomy is what it is today, the anus is not meant for procreation. If all men and women are gay, who will give birth to a gay man or woman?

• C'est moi

December 8, 2015 at 3:56 pm

@ Moi ———–Procreation is just a byproduct of sex….We only intend to procreate on average 2.4x in our lifetime whereas sex is a normal innate desire which we frequently desire. And nature by way of anatomy enables this be it in same/straight relationships & self love.

• Damilola

December 8, 2015 at 10:08 pm

@ atarodo

people still using this t as defense need to come up with smth more intelligent. Everybody and their mama know fornication, adultery, is treated the same way, even worst. You hear it at church non stop, from parent, friends strangers which is the reason the notion of church folks are too judgemental came along. Many people stopped going to church bcos of that. So yeah, sexual immorality is treated with the same disdain. Some churches won’t marry you if they find out you are not celibate or practicing abstinence. So yeah, no need to say it, people get judged daily already based on that.
      But even God treated homosexuality as a magnitude sin which is the reason HE destroyed sodom and Gomorrah. It’s very serious for HIM. Everybody about gay is al type of wrong. You are questioning God, your creator for making you.

• Tosin

December 9, 2015 at 7:02 pm

If you’re not gay, leave gay people alone.
      What would Jesus do?

2. abby

December 7, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Hmmmm…he will be joined by chimamanda….let’s see what she will say.na wah….d struggle is real

3. L

December 7, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Wow. Yes it is true that the bible does not support homosexuality. It is also true the bible says we should not judge each other, but share love and leave judging to God. these men are brave! Because they know by showing their faces they may be killed. Now let me ask you are you free from sin? Because the simple lie is a sin and that sin is equal to murder. Sin is sin. Leave it up to God to judge. Yes, they are going against the law because the law of the land says it’s wrong. And the bible says follow the law of the land. But when you don’t follow the law of the land do you get stuff out in your ass?

• bruno

December 7, 2015 at 10:44 pm

“the law of the land”

are u stupid? I hope senate passes that social media bill, then any body that accuses a politician of stealing money on their personal twitter account or their personal facebook account will be sent to prison cause they broke “the law of the land”

some of u are just extremely foolish and stupid.
      owing slaves was the law of the land
      women not being allowed to vote was the law of the land
      women not being allowed to drive was the law of the land
      black people not being allowed to vote was the law of the land

a law that is affecting a particular group of innocent people should be abolish. this anti gay bill is making people’s lives a living hell.

pls if u dont know what human rights are pls kindly shut up.

• hezekina pollutina

December 7, 2015 at 11:57 pm

yes. people only give a *hit when it affects them personally, otherwise no empathy. maybe when it hits a little bit closer to home the “majority’s” will realize that if our neighbor is affected by injustice, so are we. life is a movie, all statements are balanced in the end. keep talking.

• Damilola

December 8, 2015 at 1:18 am

@ Bruno

You are such a drama queen. And, You are extremely foolish and stupid too. Get angry all you want, homosexuality is an abnormal behavior. It’s also a choice. Race and sexuality are two different things. Only idiots equate it. It’s only blacks that they say it to, I haven’t heard the discrimination Jews face be equated to gays bcos Jewish people will not tolerate such insult and foolishness. Skin color is what you are born with. Sexual, reproductive organs, penis and vagina is what you are born with. Any thing that deprives you of what you are born with or treat you with hatred over smth you can’t control is unfair, that’s where slavery and women’s right comes into picture. To sleep with a woman or man is a choice. Just like how I have preference for a dark skin guy. But if I decide one day, na vagina I wan, I’ll go that route but I ain’t about that life. I love penis only in my vagina no anal either. That’s meant for waste products.

I don’t support sending gays to prison bcos they should have their own freedom. However, it’s an unnatural act that will never become the norm.

• TruthTeller

December 8, 2015 at 4:43 am

Anyone can live whatever kind of life they want to without shoving it in everyone’s face, tbh.

4. L

December 7, 2015 at 10:13 pm

*put in your ass?

5. Damilola

December 7, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Gay this, gay that. I hope, we are able to focus on meaningful issues in 2016. I stopped watching TV, it’s too much going on. Ever since, I gave it away, I’ve had more focus and peace of mind.
    There are more nigerian gays than what we want to accept or are aware of. I read article stating, high number of gay sex workers were arrested in Abuja and most were married men. Nigerian men experiment a lot, some are interested in men but marry to cover up. Some sleep with both. Vice versa for women. One of the requirement from weird spiritual juju things, to be powerful and rich is to involve in gay sexual act. This has been going on for a while now.
    An acquaintance of mine was complaining to me about the lack of sex in her marriage. She said, her husband is more interested in hanging out with his “boy” than sleeping with her. She said, on her wedding night, her newly wed husband spent the whole night with this same “boy”. She got tired of waiting, frantically

• Damilola

December 7, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Knocks on his “boy” room since they had their wedding at a hotel. No response. So she begged the front desk to help open the door. She found her husband drunk, wasted and naked on the same bed with his “boy”(he had his boxer on). She was speechless but couldn’t share it with anybody.
      So nigerian men cheating, it’s not only women, men also or even both. This is a serious issue, we should stop hiding, pretending and start talking about it. Many gay nigerian men are using marriage to a woman, having a child to cover up their other lifestyle.

• hezekina pollutina

December 7, 2015 at 11:59 pm

thanks for the report.

6. Ka

December 7, 2015 at 10:24 pm

There are A LOT of Nigerian gay men in the fashion industry that Bella naija posts up here and are popular on Instagram,

• Nedz

December 7, 2015 at 11:36 pm

what is your point?

7. Ada Ada

December 7, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Apologies to any gay person that would read this comment but I’m of the opinion that homosexuality is a psychotic behavior. I simply can’t wrap my head around it no matter how much I try to. I don’t hate them, I only feel pity for them.

• bruno

December 7, 2015 at 11:03 pm

” homosexuality is a psychotic behavior”

but doctors and scientists who studied human behaviour and sexuality for so many years have said it is not a psychotic behaviour. they have said it perfectly normal for someone to be gay cause that is their nature. u and a doctors whose word will I believe. and if someone is gay u cant make that person straight. it is scientifically impossible, so what else do u people want again.
      and pls keep ur pity to ur self nobody asked u for it.

• bruno

December 7, 2015 at 11:43 pm

pardon my grammatical errors. I dont proof read

• DataDump

December 8, 2015 at 4:06 am

Bruno, I think many of you gays are the victims of pollution in the environment that has rewired your brains. So I do believe you actually feel the way you do. Some people are just perverted though. There are rat and mice studies showing manifestation of behavior that is contradictory to expected gender behavior following in utero exposure – female rats humping the other females after exposure to endocrine disruptors like the plasticizer Bisphenol A and some pesticides. As una dey use plastic well well and every backyard get factory, who know wetin people don dey exposed to? See some examples of studies make e no be say na just talk I dey talk.

Xu, X, D Tian, X Hong, L Chen and L Xie. 2011. Sex-specific influence of exposure to bisphenol-A between adolescence and young adulthood on mouse behaviors. Neuropharmacology dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropharm.2011.04.027.

Effects of environment on brain sexual differentiation: role of steroids and of endocrine disruptors
      GianCarlo Panzica, Stefano Gotti

Abstract

Several environmental substances (synthetic or natural) are able to impact endocrine function (endocrine disrupting chemicals, EDCs) and, therefore, they may have long-term consequences, especially if exposure occurs during embryonic development. Most of EDCs are agonists or antagonists of androgen or estrogen receptors, therefore they may interfere with brain and behavior sexual differentiation. We present here data collected in our laboratory on two widely used animal models: the mouse and the Japanese quail. In the quail, we investigated the effect of several EDCs [diethylstilbestrol (DES), genistein or ethylene,1,1-dichloro-2,2-bis-p-chlorophenyl (DDE)] administered in eggs on the differentiation of male sexual behavior and of the parvocellular sexually dimorphic vasotocin system. In the mouse we investigated the effects of perinatal exposure to bisphenol A (BPA) or genistein on the sexual differentiation of NO producing system and of the kisspeptin system. We investigated also the organizational effects of these EDCs on sexual, social, and explorative behaviors. Our data suggest that precocious exposure to EDCs through maternal administration (in mice) or in egg deposition (in quail) may permanently alter some sexually dimorphic circuits and influence in a gender-oriented way some behaviors. In particular, the timing of exposure to EDCs is a critical factor, such that the effects of a particular EDC will vary over the lifecycle of the animal as well as across species and phyla. Therefore, exposure to the estrogenic chemicals during embryonic development has consequences beyond impaired function of the reproductive axis. This makes it very challenging to evaluate the short and long-term effects of EDCs. These compounds are therefore, in addition to gonadal steroids and neurosteroids, a third player within the nervous system for its development and differentiation. The evolutionary implications of having them in the normal food supply for certain human populations (i.e. phytoestrogen derivatives from soy), as well as for wild and farm animals should stimulate a wide discussion about their beneficial or adverse role. Acknowledgements. The studies reported here were supported by grants from University of Torino, Regione Piemonte and Fondazione San Paolo (Neuroscience Project)

• Amh

December 8, 2015 at 4:34 am

Its not normal. It is an abnormal behavior. No explanation. Wanksta.

• nnenne

December 8, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Get your facts right, bruno!
      Ada, Ada is right.
      That doesn’t mean they should be killed though.
      To all their own. They should stop shoving it down our throats.

• Huh

December 9, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Bruno apologize biko will the real Bruno stand up.

8. bruno

December 7, 2015 at 10:32 pm

I don tire, I dont even know what to do again. nigeria as a country is finished thanks to the idiot mentality of the citizens. if only the amount of hate u people had for gay people u people had for corrupt politicians maybe nigeria will be a better place today.

” You were forced to get married.
    What’s that like?”

I have been singing this thing, nigerian women u people are going to marry alot of gay men. some of u are already married to gay men. I pity many of u. when u spend 30 valuable years with a man who u thought loved u and was into u but in reality was never into u and never loved, he onky used u as a cover to hide his homosexulity thats when ur eyes will clear.

I know majority of u are not intelligent to understand what I’m saying even after I have spoken in lay man’s language.

the world is moving forward but we have decided to stay behind as usual. the black man must be the last to evolve.

and pls I dont want to hear about ur concept of god until we agree on human rights. gay rights are human rights

• Tea

December 7, 2015 at 11:10 pm

This is Nigeria, West Africa. It’s either you obey the Laws on Homosexually or you relocate, you could seek asylum in the UK or even Canada. I was very glad when Nigerian parents rallied round and dat horrid show ‘I am Jazz” or whatever it was called was cancelled.Next is cait. Gay people shld stop consoling demselves that there are a lot of gay guys on d down low. Why don’t you go to a club and proposition a fine guy with a bad ass body that you like him, and see if that guy won’t beat you into coma. Nigerian guys be loving dat couchy till kingdom come. You live your life in secrecy to effff a bloody sheet hole. Odiakwa……….. What is wrong is wrong, and homosexuality will never be accepted in Nigeria. They will keep meeting eachodas in alleys in d dead of night. Society will never accept them.
      PS: Any gay person dat wants to masturbate under my comment is free to, I won’t even be reading your comment.

• commone sense

December 8, 2015 at 5:35 am

Just cuz you say “this is Nigeria, West Africa” doesn’t magically cast a wand spell to erase the fact that biology occurs independent of cultural psychopathic believes. off course they leave a secretive life because dolts like yourself have taken it upon themselves to acts as vigilantes who have nothing better to do than to find homosexuals like their lives depended on it, i bet if someone wanted to kill you or put you in jail for being yourself you wouldn’t think twice. your comment reeks of lack of critical and deep thinking, expand your mind, this world isn’t meant just for you and those that share the same views as you, we are all a product of Earth, we are entitled to liberty and freedom, we are all equal citizens of this incredible planet and no one has any mandate to make the life of the other person a living hell over stupid shits. live your life, let others live their the way they see fit in another 100 years most of us will be gone and non of this shit will matter!

• Jane

December 8, 2015 at 1:02 am

Dear Bruno!
      Depart from this finished country

• Seriously

December 8, 2015 at 4:10 pm

@ Bruno

Black men are the last to evolve? Bcos they are not accepting gay a normal. You are a real olodo. What’s there to be evolving about homosexuality. You are too emotional. I guess, Russians, Chinese, Jews etc who have strict laws about homosexuality are not evolving too. Moving forward is not about accepting more immorality, that’s actually going backward.

Black men are self destructing themselves. HIV/AIDS is the highest in the black community here. Some of these black men are on the down low, some involve in gay sex without protecting themselves, many are just lost. Yeah, I guess that’s your definition of evolving, self destruction.
      If you choose to be gay, live your life. Why do gays want heterosexuals to accept their prevented behavior. If you are not living your life, it’s your own insecurity and issues has nothing to do with others not accepting such lifestyle.

9. lol

December 7, 2015 at 10:33 pm

but if you are gay you will go to hell.

Im sorry o I know sin is sin and a liar will also go to hell.

Anyways, we as nigerians can never accept homosexuality.

we aren’t trying to mirror the US or all these foreign countries. we already have enough problems here.

Please seek your asylum and go and live in abroad.

The destiny of our children are whats most important to us not your feelings.

• bruno

December 7, 2015 at 11:09 pm

” we already have enough
      problems here.”

pls explain to us how decriminalising homosexuality will increase the problems in nigeria.

• her

December 8, 2015 at 4:35 pm

If you believe gay marriage or right is against the bible then you should also believe divorce ppl cant remarry,rapist can marry there victims,polygamy is accepte,siblings can get married, interracial or tribal marriage is not acceptable.all these are in the bible,stop the bigotry and hypocridy.

10. ABUJA AKWUNA

December 7, 2015 at 10:43 pm

The BITTER TRUTH is 7 out of every 10guys are GAY. Most of your husbands are gay, they have boy friends outside wedlock. Abuja guys are mostly gay men. I have slept with TOP BANKERS, PASTORS, TOP SECURITY MEN, POLITICIANS, these are your brothers, Fathers but yet you criticism gay men.

• TruthTeller

December 8, 2015 at 4:41 am

Please provide proof for this ridiculous claim. Even in the United States, homosexuals make up less than two percent of the population. Loud activism does not equal numbers.

• Damilola

December 8, 2015 at 4:23 pm

@truth teller

The 2% are ones who have publicly come out. Majority of these men are down low. They sleep with men on the low, have experimented with men before, they are “bisexual”, they sleep with women, have children yet their sexual preference is men. Let’s just say, women who think it’s fun to mess with other women but still consider themselves straight are not counted in the equation.

• Tea

December 8, 2015 at 10:50 am

CONGRATULATONS HONEY !!! Guess what honey you will forever be a play thing, an experiment. None of them will ever claim you. They meet you in 5k an hour rooms, They dont even bother rolling around on d bed with you, dey just eff you and get back to dere reality. You are nothing more than a sexual experiment to them, an object of sexual curiosity …….. if you are lucky they will call you back for 2nds. Why live like that ???

• Damilola

December 8, 2015 at 4:20 pm

@abuja akwuna

Please elaborate on this. Give us some gist. Do you do it for money, fun or you chosen such lifestyle. Nigerian women, are you listening, keep your eyes and ears open. Gay people are not far from you. Your husband, uncle, daddy, brother, might be gay. Allowing a man to give you oral, anal sex means you are GAY. It doesn’t matter, if it’s for experiment, doing it for fun whatever it is, we have to start speaking about it. Let’s stop being in denial, and address real issue.

11. bruno

December 7, 2015 at 10:51 pm

” Why do you equate gay activity with pedophilia,
    with children?”

really? the funniest part is, it is u heterosexuals that molest little kids the most. not only do u heterosexuals molest children u people force little kids into marriage. dont make me mention names cause we would sleep here.

a study of 300 cases of child molestation, only 3 cases were the child molester was gay. the remaining 297 cases the child molesters were heterosexual men and heterosexual women. studies dont lie.

• Moi

December 8, 2015 at 3:43 pm

GERARA HERE

12. Nahum

December 8, 2015 at 12:01 am

I feel the same way about LGBT rights and gender equality. Let us not forget people, these are innocent human beings. I seriously doubt that God is pleased with us right now. Who made us judge and jury over another human being? Are we their creators? We use our culture to oppress women and the LGBT community. Our men are so busy persecuting the innocents rather than making their marriages work, taking care of their kids and developing this country. It is so disgusting that human beings are treated this way. This is so sad

• Moi

December 8, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Nahum, let’s be clear, if we focus on our own African religion in the absence of Christian/Muslim religion your community will be subjected to a more harsher persecution than the prevailing level. It’s the western religion you want us to discard that kept you alive today, under traditional African religion, none of you will be here talking about this abomination. Where is this superior code of morality and higher ideals you talk about? I know what you want, “inclusive and tolerant rules for all” such as incest an pedophilia. In all honesty, are you saying gay folks are not involved in rape, racism etc? If your community knows any better, it would have known that nature abhors disorderliness. If your parents were members of your community, you won’t even be here discussing this issue in this forum. Excuses may look plausible but truth is absolute.

13. Nahum

December 8, 2015 at 12:02 am

I agree, heterosexuals are the number one abusers of children the world over. Both men and women.

• Nahum

December 8, 2015 at 12:03 am

That was to Bruno’s comment

14. hezekina pollutina

December 8, 2015 at 12:11 am

this is the last taboo. i know for a fact that homosexuality is casually practised in nigeria even from secondary boarding school – latest. i remember the genders being separated and having school mothers and having it be ok to project loving crushes on them rather than the opposite sex for fear of being described as “loose.” i remember some school mother/daughters getting a little bit too close and there being whispers but never a big deals being made. when i look back now i can say that was maybe an experimental phase for some but maybe for others it was normal to love same sex. when i think about innocent sexuality it seems to me that people would be naturally curious, but for example a person of whatever sexuality would be fantasizing about the gender of preference, like, i cannot imagine losing my shit over some girly parts. but i can appreciate the aesthetic and form as someone who likes beautiful things. but i don’t wanna slob on a lady, know what i mean? but if i was gay i guess thats what i would imagine doing day and night, so that would be natural. is it too much to let others just live an let live and be natural, so far as its not hurting anybody? i mean i know a lot of you guys travel out and see gay people in normal habitat and maybe even become friendly with them or accept them to some extent, what makes you think everyone in nigeria is heterosexual? i mean even God created variety in all things what makes people think there is only one sexual preference? can we find a middle ground for acceptance as long as its not abuse? i mean really! also, does anyone know anything about african sexuality pre-colonialism? i would be curious…

15. Miss Shee

December 8, 2015 at 12:32 am

bruno…, this is your passion and interest in life…, may the good Lord deliver you. The steps of the righteous of the Lord shall be ordered not to marry gay men it is God’s promise for His children. You cannot conclude GOD’S work based on the study of scientist that are men like you and me in order to justify an act that defies natural order. oh, how i weep for the commenter that is bragging about the fact that he sleeps with top bankers…. so what, if you do. it still boils down to the fact it is not right, engaging in does not make it right. Homosexuality is a spirit….the same way, the devil puts the evil desire you, some ppl will also say they love to have sex with animals. do we also condone that…. Father, have mercy on your children. The devil is really raging to make sure he does not end up in hell that has already been destined for him. bruno…. God will deliver you and cohorts like you….

16. lola Carey

December 8, 2015 at 1:16 am

I like the way pple tend to ignore Bruno’ s comments nowadays.. Glad pple are beginning to realise he’s mentally unbalanced !

17. Truth.

December 8, 2015 at 2:18 am

Homosexuality and all other sexual depravities and perversions are demon-influenced just as sexual purity, chastity, and Godliness in general is HOLY SPIRIT-influenced. Whether a behaviour, act or event is evil or good, there is always a spirit, an influence instigating it, and we ALWAYS have a choice to give in or not, to choose to yield to and follow that influence or to choose, do and be its opposite.
    It’s a choice to yield to sexual desire and be sexually active, whether to one or more partners, whether married or not, whether same-sex or not.
    It’s a choice to desire to please GOD and to fear HIM more than to desire to fulfill sexual desires and the lusts of one’s flesh, and therefore, to cede control to HIS HOLY SPIRIT and make use of the grace HE gives to live holy, chaste and free of sexual sin, practicing abstinence, which I have done now for 17 years (not a kiss, not a caress, not one holding of hands, and certainly no pornography neither masturbation. And, I don’t drink, smoke or do drugs).
    Remembering my abstinence (till marriage) lifestyle choice, it only just occurred to me now, that if people can choose to live a life of abstinence (and there are those who do who are not Christian) then people can choose not to be homosexual, not to live the lifestyle, not to engage in the act, not to identify as LGBTQetc, even if they feel those urges.
    You can’t stop being a black person, or stop being white, or choose not to engage in the act
    of being an Indian.

Homosexuality/LGBTQ: It just now occurred to me that it IS a choice after all.

• C'est moi

December 8, 2015 at 3:49 pm

NOT A CHOICE!.

You cannot by choice have gay sex unless you are so inclined. For instance, one won’t be able to rise to the occasion. Sexual attraction is innate.

18. tayo

December 8, 2015 at 2:35 am

Let keep it to the natural law, use it part of th body for what what was designed for. If nature support gay men men by now nature should have mad adjustment to the male body to support them, but nature of not. This is a problem that develop as as result in the family system being the first school for a child. So parent don’t even know what is wrong from what is right. How will you teach a child who knows nothing what to do, so the society became the first school most children Learn from. Being gay is like being in love with an animal, abnormal and unnatural. The media I being used to sell homosexual because that is one industry they hide under and convince the weak minded

19. Toriola

December 8, 2015 at 2:37 am

It’s those of you who advocate the persecution of gay people who are “mentally unbalanced” … by hate. If a consenting adult wants to be with another consenting adult who happens to be of the same sex, what is it to you? How does it affect your life? It is not the same as the tangible harm that murder or armed robbery can cause to your person, so why are you losing sleep over it? Hell we don’t even police any of the “seven deadly sins”. Everyone is free to be as lustful, glutonous, slothful, greedy, envious, wrathful, and proud as they want. No one ever blames catastrophes and natural disasters on these sins, but you blame “gayism” for everything. Your hypocrisy is staggering.

Oooh! Guess what? Jesus hated hypocrites, but he never actually said a damn thing about gay people.

• emeka

December 8, 2015 at 3:14 am

Point of correction, read your bible well, jesus actually condemned the homosexual act and if you read well in the bible, the homosexual act was boldly condemned. It is only foolishness you run from such verse and try to equate sin and homosexuality to protect or defend your act. Does your body part naturally support what you do, the answer is no. Grow up. Leviticus 20 v 13‎, deuteronomy 22 v 5

Read those bible verse and see what is condemns ‎

• Toriola

December 8, 2015 at 6:04 am

Emeka, you must have failed comprehension in school. None of those verses can be attributed to Jesus.

• C'est moi

December 8, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Yes the human anatomy does allow for homosexuality in both sexes. Homosexuality is not against the law of nature! It doesn’t take a huge stretch of imagination to realise this. Man has an innate desire for sexual gratification and nature has made it possible for this to be achieved both homo and heterosexually as well as independently through masturbation.

And please don’t use the unnatural argument to counter homosexuality. You believe in talking snakes, bushes, donkeys & all manner of unnatural and unscientific claims that are indeed against the laws of nature.

• Oluwalorami

December 8, 2015 at 8:58 am

There is nothing recorded in the four Gospels where Jesus specifically mentions homosexuality the way Paul did in 1 Cor. 6:9. But, He does condemn it indirectly by affirming the Old Testament standard of heterosexual marriage as well as citing Old Testament references of condemnation of homosexuality. Let’s take a look at some of the things He said.

Matthew 10:15, “Truly I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city.”
      Matthew 19:4-6, “And He answered and said, ‘Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.’”
      Matt. 19:9, “And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”
      Mark 10:11-12, “And He said to them, ‘Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her; 12 and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery.’”
      John 5:46-47, “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote of Me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

We see Jesus’ condemnation of Sodom and Gomorrah (Matthew 10:15), and we know that homosexuality was involved in those two cities. We see Jesus confirming the heterosexual marriage pattern by citing God’s creation of Adam and Eve, male and female (Matthew 19:4-6). Jesus mentions divorce in the context of male and female (Matthew 19:9, Mark 10:11-12)–not male and male or female and female. And, Jesus supported the teachings of Moses (John 5:46-47) in which a clear condemnation of homosexuality is taught in such verses as Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13.

So, even though Jesus did not specifically mention the act of homosexuality, He supported the Old Testament, including its condemnation of homosexuality and reiterated that marriage is between a man and a woman. So, did He condemn homosexuality? Yes, He did, by affirming heterosexuality as the norm and the God-ordained definition of marriage.

Also, are we to believe that any and every action is good unless Jesus specifically forbade it? The goal of the Gospels was not to give us a comprehensive list of sinful activities, and there are many obvious sins that are not found in the “red letter” section of the Bible. Kidnapping, for example. Jesus never specifically said that kidnapping was a sin, yet we know that stealing children is wrong. The point is that Jesus did not need to itemize sin, especially when the further revelation contained in the Epistles removes all doubt as to homosexuality’s sinfulness.

20. tayo

December 8, 2015 at 2:41 am

Now let me use the bible to explain this Gay thing. The devil mission is to turn around or twist whatever God created to insult God, he turn from being the leader of worship to God, to want to receive that worship. God created man and woman to multiply, he has now created in the mind of humans since he cannot adjust the physical design of God creation, all he can do is re program the mind of God creation to man to man or woman to woman to put a slap on God face. What ever God creates the devil has decided to twist to make mock and insult God.

You being in love with a fellow man makes you and insult to God ‎

21. emma

December 8, 2015 at 2:45 am

Now let use the natural law and please permit my words of some part of the body. How come no one has being able to use their ear to eat? Because it was not naturally designed for such purpose. What has no one being able to use the male organ to deliver a child? Because nature does not support it? So why them do you force the anus to do what it was not naturally designed for to act as the female sexual organ? Which my naturally lubricate from internally to allow penetration. But for gay men they need to apply lubricants, which show that part of the body was not design for such act by nature and no changes has being made for years of your unnatural practice

• OgeAdiro

December 8, 2015 at 9:42 am

Naturalista! How do you explain the women that use their mouths to suck the hammer aka odogwu? Was the mouth made for eating or for sucking something?

• Idomagirl

December 12, 2015 at 2:29 am

???

22. emeka

December 8, 2015 at 3:07 am

Bellanaija I see it as an insult for you to say Gay people are abused here what ever the practice is against our tradition of foundation, against our laws, against nature, so when the society try to correct them and your organisation calls it abuse then there is is problem, are there gay people In your organisation?

• her

December 8, 2015 at 4:45 pm

When people say somethings are against our traditions i just shake my head.do you know how many of our traditions were ruined by the advent of the west. Since we never had a system of writing and it wasnt passed down to us by our ancestors. Do you know there were people in present east african that were cross dressers and got married to same sex.there was a thing like female husband.the west destroyed everything because of religion,please do your research before you talk of cultures and traditions.

23. frank

December 8, 2015 at 3:58 am

They need to go see what China is doing to LGBT, or how ISIS throws – off rooftops. Death to all LGBT

24. Confuzzled

December 8, 2015 at 4:25 am

Dear Nigerians, if something is against your beliefs don’t practice it. It is not your place to tell others what to do with their personal lives, especially if the actions you are policing are between two consenting adults in the privacy of their homes. I support LGBT rights for this reason. If you’re such a strong Christian/Muslim or such a “traditional African” that you cannot be gay, clap for yourself and live according to your beliefs. But don’t criminalize others who chose to live differently. They are not accountable to you. Also, Nigeria is a secular state so religious beliefs should not be the grounds for which to criminalize, harrass , and harm others.

And all the Christian people using religion to insult Bruno. Congratulations. The Pharisees followed the letter of the law but recieved harsh criticism from Jesus on several occasions. Please think very carefully before lashing out.

• MissingNaija

December 8, 2015 at 4:55 am

Harming and harassing others is wrong. While I agree that things condemned by the Bible like greed, adultery, pedophilia and divorce aren’t condemned with as much venom as homosexuality, that does not give this one sin a pass. Like, tolerance shouldn’t have to equal forced acceptance.

• Confuzzled

December 8, 2015 at 5:50 am

Define acceptance. What is there for you to accept in two adults deciding who they chose to love? How does it affect you personally? If someone was forcing you to be gay then you might have cause to have a problem of acceptance. But people just want the freedom to live their own lives. You don’t have anything to accept here. Just be tolerant, or at the minimum mind your own business. it’s so easy.

• Confuzzled

December 8, 2015 at 6:08 am

I should also remind you that your walk with God is personal. Focus on you and let others do the same. In the end you’re only responsible for yourself.
      I’ll say it one last time. The bible might criticize homosexuality but Nigeria is a SECULAR state. Also, not everyone is religious. Please do not use religion to argue against LGBT rights in a secular state. Your religion should guide your personal behaviour, and shouldn’t be forced on others.

• Fountain of Paper

December 8, 2015 at 5:00 am

Your words aptly mirror my thoughts on the issue and I couldn’t have said this better.

Unfortunately, it’s a lost cause. Hypocrisy is the cloak with which we drape ourselves to feel better about our inadequacies.

• Moi

December 8, 2015 at 4:48 pm

WILL JESUS SAY TO YOU, WELL DONE?

25. commone sense

December 8, 2015 at 5:15 am

people will rather hate and kill their fellow human beings for a god they can’t see. Shows you how screwed up the human mind is.
    Christians/Muslims persecute gays because they believe the bible/Quran commands them to do so
    Boko haram persecute Christian and wrong kind of Muslims because they also believe the Quran says

Nigerians have gotta be the most inconsistent hypocritical set of people

26. americanaprokoreporter

December 8, 2015 at 6:14 am

Mr Special correspondent go and do your special documentary on guns and racism in America.

• Idomagirl

December 12, 2015 at 2:30 am

???

27. Spicy

December 8, 2015 at 8:18 am

A lot of these hypocrite men loooove to watch 2 ladies getting it on, they even pay top naira for 3somes with 2 sexy girls but make noise about homosexuality. I just think it’s unfair that gay men get all the anger and hate in this issue but for gay women it’s more accepted. My stance on this is one of love and acceptance, if it doesn’t affect me why should I have such hatred against a group of people. Live and let live!

28. OgeAdiro

December 8, 2015 at 9:15 am

Hang in there, my homosexual brothers and sisters. Nigeria still has a long way to go on this issue but she will surely get there. If a black man could become the president of the world’s most powerful country, then impossible is truly nothing. One day, the LGBTs will live and love freely in Nigeria.

29. Natu

December 8, 2015 at 9:19 am

All these devil worshippers hiding behind their bibles and qurans to spread hate. Bunch of hypocrites!!!!!

• Moi

December 8, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Which one you be, gay, lesbian, hypocrite, pedophile, prophetess?

• Rt

December 9, 2015 at 2:42 am

Your pic is scary tho

30. Yrimu

December 8, 2015 at 10:44 am

Men, wake up, you are under spiritual attacks. The devil has seen the best way to scatter the world is to scatter the head.
    Families are under attack. God is very passionate about families, He even calls us his sons and daughters. These LGBT rights are purely an attack on the family system.
    God never goes against his word- go forth and multiply. Can gay people multiply?

31. seyi

December 8, 2015 at 11:13 am

İ like you Confuzzled. Good talk.

32. Lol

December 8, 2015 at 3:09 pm

I’m not in support of gay marriage but I feel like everyone should wait their turn for progression.
    We haven’t fixed hunger and poverty and our corrupt govt yet .
    When we fix that we will answer to personal problems.
    America fixed racism, women’s right, then gay marriage.
    You can’t skip the stages of correction.

33. C'est moi

December 8, 2015 at 3:09 pm

It is appalling to see how Africans have adopted and totally embraced flawed religions whilst those who originally forced this on us have since set it aside as a substandard code of morality and aspired to higher ideals. We humans are in fact superior to the theistic Gods in making inclusive and tolerant rules for all.

Morality is independent of God. It was the morality of man not God which overrode biblical approved slavery, racism, genocide the subjugation of women, marital rape, child brides, property rights for women etc. It is mankind’s moral goodness in force protecting and enforcing the rights of persecuted minorities – LGBT community because we know better.

34. mabel

December 9, 2015 at 12:28 am

You should see the video of ISIS throwing gays down from roof tops. All you gays agreeing to be interviewed, better don’t let them show your faces. Make bh no carry una start experiment. If a woman finds out her hubby is gay, no problem. Just divorce him and do him and other women a favour by helping him announce his sexual preference. Sey he knows how to trick a woman into marrying him abi? Let his f***ups be treated neatly.

35. Tolani

December 9, 2015 at 1:50 am

Don’t judge anyone! Pray with them and pray for them, period! People who fornicate, commit adultery, kill, steal and commit other sins are left alone because it’s normal, stop picking out sins or selecting sides of the bible to abide by. Please just stop! I’m not supporting gay people, or homosexuality but don’t try to normalize your own sin

36. Ibi

December 12, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Every man to himself. It is your choice what you want to be. I won’t fight you over it. But please be tolerant of my own rights to believe what I believe. I may be backward to you. But to me homosexuality is not acceptable