Features

Jennifer Nagu: As the Year Ends…Have No Regrets

Jennifer Nagu

2015 has no doubt been for me a better year than 2012, 2013 and 2014 combined; and for this reason I am truly thankful.  I stayed out of the hospital more times than I ever did in the last few years. Honestly (not exaggerating) I was admitted over 15 different times for ailments even as little as Malaria in the past years(and No, I do not have the sickle cell trait) This year I saw a doctor twice only! This is my testimony.

It, however, does not go to say that I didn’t make a couple of mistakes, or I didn’t fail woefully at achieving some of the goals I had laid out for myself at the start of the new year. Today I choose to see the silver lining in all of these. I have got life and a far better health. It supersedes all the fails.

As 2015 comes to an end, many have had a heck of a time. Some failed to achieve the most important things on their bucket list. Many had vehemently vowed “This year I would bag an MBA” OR “This year I would get a new job” or “this year I shall be married’’. Or perhaps it is that we didn’t trust our instincts to make proper choices as to where to put out investments, proper choices on who to date, or proper career choices; and then these decisions came back to hunt us down, in the most horrible fashion.

I say to you today, “have no regrets”.

You hear an inner voice say to you? “Time is running out”, “you are getting too old”, “Next year might be late”. Say to that voice ‘’2016 is around the corner; another opportunity is here! I can re-write that wrong.

Again I say, “Have no regrets”.

How bad could it have been? You made dumb decisions, spent too much, didn’t save up, played it too safe, passed up a decent relationship and didn’t trust that inner voice. So what? At least your eyes are open now. You won’t shut out such opportunities again next year.

In Naija this year was one of the most difficult economically. The insistent fuel scarcities, the insecurity rate, the hike in exchange rates, and the wave of a new regime appeared to have brought many people to their knees financially. A friend said to me, “Girl? This is the worst year ever, have you seen the Naira to Dollar exchange rates lately, a whooping 240?”  It was also in the dailies early in December that some state governors were considering massive job cuts, as escape routes to the downturn in the economy. Phew!It has been an intense 2015.

But in the face of the bandwagon of negativities, tough times, denials and broken dreams, many stay drowning in regret and wallowing in self pity. Someone once told me when circumstances, opportunities close you out. It is a direct indication that these circumstances and opportunities or people are not part of the plan for the next step of your life. Moving forward, no matter how uncertain, scary and difficult the circumstances are, is the right attitude carry.

So with a New Year upon you, realize that:

1. You have a another priceless opportunity in the new year.
  2. Forget the past year.
  3. Forget the hardships.
  4. Count your blessings instead!
  5. Forget your age and what could’ve or should’ve been.
  6. The New Year should be as “The first day of the rest of your life”.
  7. At the end of it, let there be no excuses and no explanations for your fails.
  8. Look forward in optimism and you would achieve all you’ve set out to achieve!

Please feel free to share with us through this medium,how you’ve coped in 2015. Give your kind words of advise as well.Thank you and compliments of the season.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Yolanda Van Niekerk

Jennifer Nagu is a Lagos based Freelance-writer, editor and Aviation professional, specializing in Aviation, wellness and travel related matters. She has published work with notable media platforms across Africa, like Ynaija of the Red media group, Guardian Nigeria Newspaper, New York based wellness publication Thrive global, founded by mogul Arianna Huffington and Ndalo media's Habari Magazine. She holds a degree in communications from Covenant univerity and an IATA diploma in Airline Quality diploma from Geneva.

1. peppy

December 15, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Well written. Good job!!!!!!! Thanks for the motivation. Looking forward to next year favors!!!!!!!

2. SS

December 16, 2015 at 12:48 am

because I am alive I scream THANK YOU ETERNAL ROCK OF AGES…………….

3. martinson oluwaseun

December 16, 2015 at 9:06 am

that’s the spirit ma’am!

4. ACE

December 16, 2015 at 9:58 am

I needed to hear this !!! Thanks a lot

5. Awofodu Oluwaseun

December 16, 2015 at 10:02 am

Hmm.. well said. I have always being scared of my level of tolerance, engagement and zeal to succeed, but just when i was ready to accept my faith, 2015 just gave me something to cheer!

Now i have what i call a life; a pretty wife, a promising career, investments largely based on my commitment to God, skills and enthusiasm.

All i trade on is God’s own wisdom, beauty and his assurance that even though; “All things work together for my good because i love God” Rom 8:28

Am sorry my doctors can no longer earn from my pause, my health insurance has just being a humanitarian contribution of late, and am so certain with God on my side, 2016 will surely revel my true identity as “DAVID, JOSEPH and SOLOMON.” so, WATCH OUT!!!

**Its just being God my sister i tell u o** Lol

6. Grateful!!!

December 16, 2015 at 11:38 am

My 2015 hasn’t been bad, oh no, it hasn’t. But nothing spectacular has happened either. I had hoped perhaps that this year, I’d write like crazy and become known for it or write that award winning story; be in a relationship at least, if I wasn’t going to get married, do that one modelling gig i’ve wanted to do all my life, move from the town I live in, which btw bores me outta my wits, start a business or hone my skills/talents, but none of those happened. So most times I moped, wallowed in self-pity, cried myself to sleep, suffered some mad mood swings, took my anger out on everyone, especially my parents. There were happy or exciting moments too when I got excited about my nephew, about earning my salary and being able to spoil myself, about my family and the love we shared. But I never could get rid of those depressing moments because I just felt unfulfilled, angry at myself, like I wasn’t progressing, I was just there. Then I thought of the fact that I’m well, alive, hale and hearty and with a job even if it isn’t the very best. Last week was when I thought I’d stop being sad, and get excited and be grateful for all I have. Nice piece, writer. Short, but inspiring

7. Grateful!!!

December 16, 2015 at 11:42 am

Thus this piece has reinforced – lack of a better word – my resolve to be grateful, not just grateful, happy and excited! Besides, like the writer said, there’s another year ahead and another opportunity to start afresh and work towards getting things done.

8. jennifer Nagu

December 16, 2015 at 12:04 pm

@Seun Happy for you…..with this year gone by, do not only be content with your level of acheivements in 2015, strive for more! The sky is your starting point….. @Grateful, 2016 should be like the” beginning of the rest of your life”; I know it would be better for you dear. Thanks to everyone for the read!

9. yaksNagu

December 27, 2015 at 11:15 pm

I graduated awesomely and got into law school this year. I’m thankful