Features

Richard Akuson: I’ve Lost My Mind… All Thanks to Sugabelly

Richard Akuson

SugabellyCall me a cry baby or a softie. But the truth is I’ve always been an emotional person. I try to mask it just so I don’t appear weak (God forbid for a Nigerian man), but I’m weak, really weak – and Sugabelly’s agonizing story is proof of my weakness. And now I don’t care anymore. Yes, I’m weak!

I got on Twitter some days back, to a trend on Sugabelly. Within seconds I’d read her story and was submerged in it as I frantically made it a personal battle to appreciate those who showered her support and condemned those who had contrary opinions.

I went back and forth her blog, shared links with friends and family as my helplessness grew with previous posts of hers that I read. I’d never stayed that long on Twitter until that day. I threw caution to the wind as I became a soldier in SugaBelly’s army. Maybe I’m irrational, but there’s no right thinking human that’ll read that story and not be as manic as I was.
Now, I won’t be dwelling on what I read because we all read her story (and I can’t retell the story even if I wanted to). My concern, however, is how that story has affected my reasoning and life since then. How totally different I now view the world.

For the next couple of days I felt empty as a man, as I wondered what else I was capable of. I wondered if I had a bad side to me that is evil enough to make me do such despicable thing to a young girl. I hated being a man that day. I was disgusted at the word ‘man.’ I was ashamed of being one.

You know, before Sugabelly’s story I’d always wondered what transpired between those “lucky” girlfriends and their rich boyfriends; how easy it always looked seating beside their “men” in those insanely expensive cars. I’d always asked myself how far such a girl would be willing to go, to have and keep that kind of a guy. But now, every time I’m out for brunch or something and I see those wealthy Abuja middle-aged men stepping out of their SUVs with young girls in tow, my mind runs back to Sugabelly and my heart beats faster.
I see her in every young girl these days. She is every woman that I see in a relationship. It’s crazy what this story has done to me – how distorted I now feel.

The other day I was with my cousin who asked if I’ll like my first child to be a girl. And I instinctively said, ‘no’. Shocked at my response she asked ‘why’? Especially after seeing me as the champion of women’s causes. Why then would I not want a first child daughter? It was a moment for me, as I tried to succinctly convey my feelings in words without losing my bravado. I really didn’t say much as I shrugged the topic away.

Well Jenny, I really don’t want a daughter as a child because she’ll be my vulnerability and undoing. I’ll die thinking of what she’d have to go through in life; the many concocted, lousy and over blown chauvinistic egos that she’d have to massage in the name of pleasing a boyfriend or husband. And the thought of her ever having to go through what Sugarbelly did will be my end. Life will really have no purpose and meaning then.

If I must…..If I must have a daughter. Then I’ll groom her to disregard men. I’ll make her the Alpha and Omega of her world, that no man’s opinion is worth a nickel. I’ll teach her that independence is not a privilege for her but a right, and that just like a bird – she can soar and fly beyond her imaginations. And that no man, no man, I repeat – is worthy of having her. That will be my only condition. Otherwise I’m not even sure I want children any more.
Because my son too will learn to respect and adore women. I’ll teach him to see women as the pillar of mankind. To treat them with kindness and regard. To clean after his girlfriend; wash her underwear; brush her hair, and kiss her on her forehead. He’ll bring her breakfast in bed everyday she doesn’t feel like getting out of bed. Cook her meals and watch cheesy Nollywood movies with her without wanting to change to Super Sports.

But alas, those are all dreams as I can’t mold them into being who I want them to be, I can only try. They’ll always do what they want to do, and that’s really what breaks my heart and makes me not want to have any.

Sugabelly endured untold pains, I can’t begin to imagine what she’s gone through. If I am this paranoid after just reading her story and those of hundreds of other Nigerian women that have been sharing their rape and abuse stories anonymously through ‘Your Safe Haven’ on Tumblr since she went public, then how much more they who are the victim of these inhuman abuse?

I know the Bible says the heart of men is desperately wicked, but never did I imagine that somewhere in Nigeria, there are grown brothers – friends gang raping, violating and abusing young girls and women in general. Never did I imagine that a 25 year old would in fact deem it normal to date a 17 year old. Never did I ever imagine that there is a Sugabelly somewhere with such a harrowing experience in life.

And because of this, I’m sorry for being a man. I’m sorry for seeing the best in mankind. I’ve resigned and I’m done believing!

Richard Akuson is founder at The PR Boy a boutique media and press relations agency for fashion, beauty and lifestyle brands with a specialty in raising the overall awareness of a brand, product or image of a company or person. Richard is also a weekly columnist at Bellanaija.com ('On The Catwalk' and 'Collection Conversations'), he's also a party host at The Front Row and a vlogger at Get Pink with Richard .Want to reach out? Follow @richardakuson on Instagram and @richardakuson on Twitter or send an email to [email protected]

1. emma

December 8, 2015 at 12:08 am

Very well written, if only there were more men like him in Nigeria. I really hope that we can all come together to stop this culture of shaming victims of rape, its not right at all. I’ve read so many comments across different social media platforms attacking Sugabelly, although i have never been raped, these comments broke my heart because she could be anybodies daughter, sister, friend, cousin. Its a shame that many Nigerian men are animals in human skin, I just wish our parents can do better. Mothers raise your sons to respect women and treat them like royalty. Men, love your wives and treat them like queens so that when your sons grow up, they will treat their wives and other women around them the same.

• editor

December 8, 2015 at 12:49 am

this is porbably not a constructive comments but I don’t think it was well written. On the contrary I felt his message was lost in how badly written it cam across so I was shocked to read his bio and find out he is actually a writer for a living.
      Anyway, to me I’m glad he felt moved but there is nothing to be gained by “not believing in men”.
      Also, side note, i feel some kind of way about BN using her picture for this article. It seems a little like sensationalism

2. Tari

December 8, 2015 at 12:08 am

Bros Richard, you will soon be hearing from Egbon Babalola chambers. I see the supposedly threatening letter wey dem send young man like you.
    My hand no dey o!

• Jennelle

December 9, 2015 at 9:28 am

What’s “egbon babalola”????

3. Ayoka

December 8, 2015 at 12:19 am

“Never did I imagine that a 25 year old would in fact deem it normal to date a 17 year old. ”

Man, you’ve been living under a rock. In this our Nigeria? Where many grown mofos date JSS students.

• Tari

December 8, 2015 at 1:36 am

Does that make it normal and acceptable?

• Ayoka

December 8, 2015 at 3:18 am

Hmmm Tari abeg, did you read the part where I called them grown mofos. Does that sound like an approval of their behavior. Some people sha, always looking for comment to attack.

• le coco

December 8, 2015 at 9:41 am

actually @Ayoka it is so popular all over Africa.. there is a particular story trending in South Africa at the moment.. it all started from a very popular television show known as “our perfect wedding” couples allow cameras to follow them around in the last few days of wedding prep whilst the viewers get to know their love story, how they met etc.

Now 2 weeks ago a particular couple came on the show, and the groom narrated how they started dating when he was 28 and the bride was 14 and she was still in high school. in fact the worst part was the groom( who is now a pastor) narrated in detail about how during his taxi driver days, he would wait for the ” after school rush” and he would pick up girls around the age of 14 and sleep with 3 or 4 PER DAY. he had been doing this for years until he met the bride who was also 14 and he began to sleep with her.

you can imagine the outrage… so huge that the biggest sponsors of the show including Absa bank and even vodacom have pulled out. because clearly they were not about to sponsor a programme that celebrates statutory rape.

This is a very serious issue, rape of all kinds.. and it is so refreshing that a man can stand up for the rights of women. we need more men like this to truly acknowledge this unacceptable behaviour and call out their fellow men on rape and abuse in general.

• Damseldam1

December 8, 2015 at 11:43 am

Abi o! Has it occur to the writer that those young girls knew what they were doing dating older guys. When I was 18 my first was an older guy probably in his 30s u know how naija men can lie about their age for days! Yes looking back I realise it is morally wrong for the guy to even think of being my first but at that time it didn’t feel so. Do I regret it? Yeah after I realised he had wife and kids!!! That still didn’t stop me from dating older guys till I realised they are no different from the young guys them older guys are just smarter!!

• Ibi

December 12, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Doesn’t make it okay

4. Chi-e-z

December 8, 2015 at 12:45 am

Mr. Akuson never feel bad for being a man most importantly a strong Kind Nigerian man. Most of the best people who helped me with my self esteem, my belief in my dreams, my happiness in life are strong kind Nigerian men You are beautiful person who I pray procreates individuals just as beautiful heart and soul as you 🙂

5. Alo

December 8, 2015 at 12:47 am

I’ve never been tickled by affluence or wealth, especially coming from Nigeria. Most times, when i see girls or young women anchoring themselves to men with so called riches, my thoughts dart back to sugabelly as the writer elucidates. No one knows what lies within the recesses of relationships, and it will do us more good than harm if we stopped ‘tapping into blessings’ as i have many a time evidenced in so many comments on blogs. Stop encumbering yourself you men with thoughtless need for vanity and mindless chatter. Lets stand up to injustice and cut away from people who intend to bind us spiritually, mentally, physically and psychologically with their insatiable desires to sully our paths and stunt our need to be productive as individuals. Sugabelly, I wish that the Almighty give you strength to sustain you and embellish you with His all pervading love.

6. Toriola

December 8, 2015 at 1:57 am

Mr/Ms Editor your comment is too badly written to deserve that name. Choi! No regard for spelling, punctuation or syntax. The writer wrote 10+ paragraphs, what’s your excuse? I agree with the pic criticism though.

7. Cher

December 8, 2015 at 3:05 am

I consider myself a writer but my punctuation is poor so I write for myself .

I love the way he wrote .

I thought I was the only one who felt this way about this particular story. I think about her everyday and I don’t even know her , I wish I could be her friends. Her story really touched me . I’ve been following her blog for a while and also I follow her on Twitter . My heart felt for her and I still can’t put into words . I myself have been a Victim of rape and I still don’t think I’ll ever be over it.

As for him not wanting a daughter, but saying he wants a son sits somehow with me. I am scared of having children. The truth is you can’t protect them from everything .

I pray she gets justice and is able to move on to the next chapter of her life . Even if she tried to start a NGO all the peoples would be like see I told you so . She is extremely talented and beautiful I wish her happiness .

The hate I’ve seen regarding this story has put me in tears at time I never knew people were so cruel . I myself wanted to type a think piece on this but I still can’t find the words .

I’m really surprised Linda Ikeji has not posted anything regarding this matter but anyways ….

Sorry for the long post !

• Ada Nnewi

December 8, 2015 at 6:23 am

You just put all my feelings into words.. as for linda ikeja. ..smh..

• nwanyi na aga aga

December 8, 2015 at 9:49 am

The first time I heard of Sugarbelly, it was an issue she had with Linda Ikeji, so I am not surprised that she didn’t speak for her, knowing Linda Ikeji, I am sorry for those that will be listening to her motivational stories.
      I have always said I only want a girl child when I am wealthy and connected, so that I can protect her and provide everything that she needs. After reading sugar-belly’s story to be sincere. I suddenly felt the way Richard felt, it was so strong that I nearly fought with a colleague who dared to say she deserved it, wetin she dey do there? You see, I respect women in this our society, the things they see, they things they have to live with and still come out strong, its immense.
      Richard my dear, don’t feel sorry for being a man, there are still good men out there like you. Men with beautiful hearts There are still men who would never treat a woman wrong in this Nigeria irrespective of what their cannibalistic male counterparts do. It all starts with the good ones teaching their children right, how to respect and love everyone no matter the gender. When everyone teaches their young child right..Slowly and surely the world will be a better place.

• Peaches77

December 8, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Aswear! I am currently fighting with my very close friend on this matter. How dare he tell me SugarBelly has no case? A for brush am if i see am… Shior!

• anon

December 8, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Can you guys please leave Linda Ikeji alone? Sugabelly has had a row with Linda Ikeji previously for posting her (Sugabelly’s) tweets on her blog. So it’s no surprise Linda stayed away from this. I’m actually surprised Sugabelly didn’t have a row with BN as well. Perhaps BN wrote her requesting permission to use her tweets.

• emeraldish

December 8, 2015 at 6:24 pm

asin!!!! i am shocked!

8. Amh

December 8, 2015 at 3:58 am

Enough of this wild girl story abeg. The writer should focus on not allowing a 17yrs girl to be late at nite till 1am. Or thr fact thst she said she loves been spanked or is it her continual reference to their wild sex trying to bring the guy back to her. Enough pls. 17. Sex ar 14. Lesbian by 17. Raped before 17 by mums boyfriend. Enough. Pls.

• Ada Nnewi

December 8, 2015 at 6:24 am

You are an idiot and you will definitely get served by karma

• Typical

December 8, 2015 at 8:28 am

All you had to do was scroll past this post. Insensitive fool

9. Bolinto

December 8, 2015 at 4:10 am

A bit off topic but I have a little bit of stories that touch the heart.
    Scenario: Husband is mostly away on business, travels a lot for work. Just me and my cousin and my 2 year old at home. My son’s room has a bed for guest and his bed (crib). Trying to get him to sleep in is bed, I ask my cousin (11) to sleep in my room so I sleep in my son’s room with my son. Husband overhears me telling her to get off the couch and go sleep in my room. He throws a fit. I get confused. For me, I’m like what is the big deal. You are not here. I am hijacking her bed after all. So I say if you feel so bad about it, I will tell her not to sleep there anymore. It ends there and we move on. Four months after, he brings it up again saying you violated the ‘sacredness of our bed’ by letting your cousin sleep there. I’m like to me It’s just a bed. He says only us and our kids should enter our room. I say well I didn’t know that because I have entered most of my cousin’s parents room and even laid there to watch TV sometimes. He says I am making excuses and how can I justify that. I say why is this even a fight. You were raised different from me. You can’t assume that I will know everything just the way you know it. He says: there is no Nigerian that does not know this, everyone knows this. I say that is why we have all these problems. You assume that the whole world is like you. Everyone is not like you. You are raised one way, I’m raised another. We will lay ground rules and start from there. He says: bullshit-you should know this. I say I am done, we are done. I hang up.
    I am exhausted. I think I am losing my mind. Please can you weigh in? What am I doing wrong? What is he doing wrong? This is not a matter of I’m right and you are wrong. I just want to fix the underlying issue.

• Iris

December 8, 2015 at 4:51 am

Please look up Pastor Mensah Otabil on YouTube. Listen to his series on Relationships and Marriage and Values. He talks about how people from different backgrounds and with different values (not good or bad values, just different) can make a marriage work. When you have finished, listen to it again with your husband.

• Bebe

December 8, 2015 at 5:43 am

I understand you perfectly but I would have to go with your hubby on this one. See ehn, I think you should ask him the things you do that he finds weird or funny and tell him yours and see how you guys can fit it all. It’s really frustrating. I know. But try to see things from his view point too. It is called matrimonial bedroom for a reason and not family or guest room. You guys make love and make babies on that bed and in that room. Every Tom, dick and Helen can’t be allowed in nah. You too think am. He would be pissed because in his mind he is thinking that is how you allow everybody free access to your “love nest” and he is thinking that’s basic matrimony rule and everybody should know that and you just chose not to take it seriously. I get him sha but I also get you too, sit it out and talk it out.

• F.N. Nwapa

December 8, 2015 at 9:16 am

Hi
      this is going to be one of those things where you’ll either have to find a middle ground, or one person has to give in.

I’ve seen a lot of nigerians talk that -your MATRIMONIAL bed is sacred- nonsense. To me and to my husband, it’s just another random bed in the house. If this is the way your husband feels and you cannot get him to change his mind, forget about it, it’s no big deal.

Choose your battles wisely, you don’t really have to win this one.

• mrs chidukane

December 8, 2015 at 9:43 am

He has made his point and you have heard. He should give it up already. One time my sister came to my house and there wasn’t any free room, she shared a room with me and my husband for the duration of her stay. I once stayed with a friend and her husband in their room because of the same no free room issue. Ask him if there’s any other reason he’s dragging the whole thing out, if there is or isn’t just apologize, take correction and keep it moving.

• Whet????

December 8, 2015 at 11:25 am

Sorry whet?? Sharing rooms with who??

No! No! No!

• tola

December 8, 2015 at 12:09 pm

you should not under any circumstances allow anyone to sleep in the bed you share with your husband except your kids. no one had to teach me that, its a sign of respect for your marriage and your partner. just apologize and realize it is not okay.i don’t know if you both have underlying issues but i urge you to apologize and ask if anything else is bothering him. You should be in love and each other’s best friends so ….my 2 cents

• Bolinto

December 8, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I believe that is the issue. One person is thinking the other is thinking something when they are not. Our definitions of basic matrimonial room is different. Which is fine. But i have said no one will sleep there 4 months ago so why Are we still bringing it up?

10. Amh

December 8, 2015 at 4:12 am

There are kots of sickening rape cases in nigeria which is quite disturbing. The victims are innocent vulnerable and needs help. Not someone who willingly per take in dirty sexual fantasy. According to her blog. She flirted with the guys friends. Theres us the issue of wet tshirt and all sorts of crazy things. Mtcheew. Her story is similar to holly of playboy mansion. According to the other exgirls. She was hefs favorite and she participated willingly on some shocking wuite disturbing sexual acts which the other girls declined. She wanted to marry hef at all cost. After failing to achieve her aim. Shes now married with a child.she wrote a tell all books saying sll sorts.she felt dirty and regreted all the perversion and twisted the story.some girls feel been wild like a dog or some out of these world sexual acts is the key to a guys heart.its pure fallacy. No one knows what men see in whom they love. Thd emergence of social media has exposed the sickening high level of rape in nigeria. It should be addressed and investigated and offenders jailed. Real rape cases not the scorned ex. Thatt was how one said she wanted her boyfrd who is 36 while she’s 19 to disvirgin her in her bedroom. According to her.the penetration was forceful. Were u expecting soft penetration. After gbenshing your dads age mate with big kondo. Rubbish.

• californiabawlar

December 8, 2015 at 4:38 am

p.s. For those who might be gullible to lean towards this ogberans un-paragraphed rambling….remember! THE ADULT IS ALWAYS TO BLAME. No excuses…no ‘she willingly participated” You can’t have an underaged ‘ex’, bruh that’s not an ex, that’s a victim.

If you’re her fathers mate, look for her mothers mate to gbensh….or keep your kondo in your pants.

• Bebe

December 8, 2015 at 5:31 am

So when children go off the rails irrespective of warnings and corrections from their parents, are the adults still to blame??

• Californiabawlar

December 8, 2015 at 6:47 am

I’m talking about an adult who chooses to have sexual relations/rape a minor…..not the parent or guardian.

11. St cathy

December 8, 2015 at 6:15 am

@bebe yes. Adults always to blame.I suppose there is a reason why some people are called children and so new adults right?

12. hian

December 8, 2015 at 6:48 am

so i went on the girl blog for the first time .. and apparently one of her rapist just got married.. i wonder how the wives feel about this

13. Leila

December 8, 2015 at 6:50 am

Could not have said it better @californiabawler. Even if the child begs for it, it is your responsibility as the adult to walk away. The reason there is a law on age of consent is because it is deemed impossible for anyone under that age to be mature enough to adequately assess consequences of the action and therefore, cannot make an informed decision to say yes. This has nothing to do with home training or not!

14. jane(the real jane)

December 8, 2015 at 7:18 am

Carry d pikin go sleep for your room na. Shuu

15. Kk

December 8, 2015 at 9:08 am

Whats d difference between a 17 year old and an 18year old? I mean mentally? .
    2. If a 17 year old ‘juvenile’ rapes u as a woman of say 25 would you say he is a minor and we should forgive him!
    Most of d arguements i have seen concerning this issues are just based on stuffs that appeal to emotion… And u cant get justice based on that! Such arguments wont hold in court!.
    Lastly i pity this writer bcos ur emotion is messing with ur brain! ‘is this what nigeria men are like?’ or ‘is this what my daughter has to go through’ …there is no good or bad gender…there are only good or bad people! I use to have this mentality of men are bad, bcos am from a broken home and lived with my mum. until i grew up and started having experiences with women! Its worst for guys like u bcos u develop a soft which 8 out of 10 girls will take for granted and call weakness!.
    I askd that question abt d difference btw a 17 and 18 old. Bcos if u say 18 is d adult age then there are plenty of girls who willfully go into ‘runs’ at that age! I met a 19yr old once wu claimed to have dated several married men! To say i was shocked is an understatement! But thats is d reality and not just in nigeria but even in other parts of d world.
    I too was scared of having female kids…but now i cant stop dis fantancy of my first child being a beautiful little princess…i knw she s not goin to be a child forever! You are 21 inside ur mind! Ur have lots of growing…girls ur age are far wilder than u! Goodluck!

• yeyeperry

December 11, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Oga Gerraaaahhhheeeereeeeeee. You are the kind of father who wouldn’t recognize signs or believe his daughter when she says she’s been molested.
      No matter how careful a parent is, some ugly incidents have tendencies of happening.

16. mrs chidukane

December 8, 2015 at 9:49 am

The Sugabelly story messed me up as well but it wasn’t really her story but that of the many women who have suffered rape. It was so heartbreaking for me. I really had to think about how I will protect my children and nieces from being vulnerable to such attacks. How to train my boys to value and love women and also protect the women around them. God help us.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 9, 2015 at 12:30 am

I started with the various BN posts on the topic and the aching comments left by the many victims who decided to share their own stories and my mind was already messed up to the point where I truly didn’t have the courage to click on her blog and read the post that began the storm. Then I read it and my world just went dark for two days…

And the worst part of it was after reading all these experiences you felt the pain but you also felt so helpless. Okay, now what happens? What is to be DONE about all the wrong that has been caused to these ones? If social media has blundered on and chosen to excuse this kind of evil then what hope do we have of finding justice in the actual society? So, we’re content to abandon the wounded without help and continue accommodating this form of menace in our midst?? Then we are all animals, not just the various rapists who are roaming far and wide without fear of justice. Let us all take our clothes off and give the 4-legged creatures free reign to rule us because we have, yet again, failed to justify our so-called civilisation.

17. Anon

December 8, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Bella naija! I hail you guys oo… I’m sure you guys won’t post this.. I’m just suprised because I noticed that one of the accused just got married and it was featured on Bella! So I went on the post and guess what! No one can comment under the post again! So I decided to post the link to this post.. But to my suprise Bella posted my comment without the link ? ??

• emma

December 8, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Yup I found the post and noticed that they disabled the comments. ;);)

• Ibi

December 12, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I guess Bellanaija does not want to wade into controversy. Keeping it PC

18. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

December 8, 2015 at 4:33 pm

That’s cos it’s still an allegation. It would be stupid and unprofessional of BN to allow people post emotional and rude comments under the wedding pictures. We all know how Nigerians are. Once again, it’s an allegation.

19. Dairy of a naija mom.

December 8, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Well written article…rape issues? Not what one should take likely please.

20. Dr Teejay

December 9, 2015 at 8:43 am

A lot of young ladies are raped each day their first sexual act being a non consensual one, how do you tell that lady about love as a man, she moves around with so much hate for the opposite. Rape is wrong in all sense then it’s even worse when she’s underage… This goes as far as we talking about child marriages happening in Nigeria where a girl child is married away by her parents into slavery, a girl that can’t even take care of herself now being plundered by a man… That’s rape as well

21. Jennelle

December 9, 2015 at 9:58 am

Well said couz! Sugar belly’s story has done things to our minds. And I agree with Dr TJ, everyday girls are coerced to have sex and we don’t hear about it cox some how people will blame u for being there… There’s truly no excuse for Rape! Am like “guy chill if I want it with u u wouldn’t have to beg toomuch, I’ll Jst off pant” it’s not our (girls) faults we don’t want to have sex most times ( even tho some girls want it always ) some of us have toomuch holyspirit to want to fuck!!!c’mon I mean if u have sex with some one that wants it as much as u do Ull enjoy it more, I personally think guys who enjoy rape or coercive sex are SICk!

• Jennelle

December 9, 2015 at 10:02 am

Ps. I met this guy once and I was at his place watching #Dominion and next he started touching me when I said STOP!! dude he was like “I know u want it but u r scared I’ll think u r a loose girl” and am like ???? #Hooomygad!

22. Kelly

December 11, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Worst write up I have ever read, so annoying and to imagine he is a writer by profession,he needs to up his game as he sounded so childish .