News

Did Pres. Buhari’s 2016 New Year Message give you Hope or Despair?

BellaNaija.com

BuhariYesterday, President Buhari shared his 2016 New Year message.
In the message, Nigeria’s president acknowledged the recent hardship, however he assured Nigerians that the situation is temporary. He also discussed the fight against Boko Haram and was optimistic that the crippling reign of terror will end soon.

Read the message below and share your thoughts.

Fellow Citizens,
Welcome to the beginning of a New Year of the continuation of CHANGE in our beloved nation.
I am aware that Nigerians have experienced a number of significant hardships over the past months. Living in the State House has not alienated me from your daily sufferings. I am aware of the lengthy queues at fuel stations and of the difficulties businesses have faced in acquiring foreign exchange. These challenges are only temporary; we are working to make things better.
When I presented myself to you as a presidential candidate and asked you to vote for me, I wanted to be a leader who keeps his promises. I wanted to be a leader who restores the people’s hope in those elected to serve them. I wanted to be a leader who initiates positive and enduring CHANGE.
I am still totally committed to being that kind of leader. Unforeseen circumstances and other distractions notwithstanding, I shall still do my utmost best to keep every promise I made to Nigerians during my election campaign.
In the past seven months since our inauguration on May 29, 2015, my administration has focused on laying the right foundation for the CHANGE you voted for during our historic presidential election.
Nigerians will in due course begin to enjoy the fruits of all our ongoing work. The effective and efficient implementation of our 2016 budget proposals will address many of the socio-economic issues that are of current concern to our people.
One area in which Nigerians, especially those in the northeast, have already begun to experience major CHANGE is in the war on terror.
I commend our Armed Forces for significantly curtailing the insurgency which has ravaged the northeast of Nigeria over the past few years.
However, there is still a lot of work to be done in the area of security. Our Armed Forces will maintain, consolidate and build on their successes in the war against Boko Haram and violent extremism.
This government will not consider the matter concluded until the terrorists have been completely routed and normalcy restored to all parts of the country that have been adversely affected by the Boko Haram insurgency.
Our crackdown on corruption will continue to be vigorously undertaken. I urge the courts to support our efforts and help in the recovery of stolen funds by speedily concluding trials and showing that impunity no longer has a place in our country.
There is much work to do in other areas as well and I have charged all my ministers and other appointees to ensure that Nigerians experience positive changes in their lives in 2016.
We must reduce our country’s reliance on oil. We must diversify our economy. And we must do all we can to promote job creation.
Our challenges are many but our determination to succeed is strong and unshaken.
So too is our confidence in God.
I wish you all a very Happy New Year.
MUHAMMADU BUHARI

1. Luqman

January 1, 2016 at 8:27 pm

I still believe in this government until they prove otherwise. He has been showing the spirit of leadership so far at the detriment of his own religion. He’s definitely belong to everyone. I will continue to pray for your success. The sleeping giant will surely reclaim her lost glory. A better Nigeria for all.
    Vielen Dank Sai Baba!

• Meah

January 1, 2016 at 11:21 pm

At the detriment of his religion?
      Kindly explain

• Luqman

January 2, 2016 at 3:43 am

We all know how things work in Nigeria, Nigerians can hide under nepotism to give jobs to those who don’t merit it; likewise, religious favoritism or favoring someone’s tribesmen. I was just referring to the issue of Sheikh Ibrahim el-Zakzaky that was being detained despite the intervention of the Iranian government that spoke with Buhari on the phone for his release. Buhari has the veto power just like the way GEJ pardoned Alamiyeseigha (no pun intended), but he allows the rule of law to prevail by waiting for the reports of the incident.
      Secondly, he said something of banning Hijab if that will be the only solution to curb terrorism. In a nutshell, Hijab is a symbol of Islam and it is something mandatory, so I admire his honesty despite the fact that I don’t agree with him.

• Idontget

January 2, 2016 at 8:09 am

And what of the appointments he has made so far?
      Nepotism in full action! Most are notheners (dare I say there are people just as qualified, if not better, from other tribes). There’s nothing wrong with giving notherners positions but the gap is too wide in my opinion.

You also cannot conclude Buhari belongs to “everyone” based on zakzaky’s situation because (in case you needed it explained); it is against the same rule of law you are talking about to kill and detain people without following the appropriate legal process (this was done in zaria and it’s hard to accept that the president is unaware of this gross breach of human rights).
      You have tried to defend this by saying he got calls from Iran and still did not succumb to pressure which shows he is not biased .. #pause and reflect on what this says about our legal system instead; doesn’t it show that we are a lawless society that have complete disregard for the law?
      Some still see Buhari as a dictator and this is not helping his image. Someone needs to check the military, their reasons for adopting such extreme actions are weak! and if these are the same excuses the chief of army staff provided to the senate then he should be removed from the position (although anyone with integrity would have resigned by now)

Zakzaky has been detained, where? we don’t know. Why? We don’t know. All we have heard so far from the military is the silly excuse of “they were with arms and blocked the road” or whatever . Really? Theydragged zakzaky, killed his followers, beat him, pushed him around in a friggin wheel barrow and then burnt down his house (allegedly to cover evidence) !! The measure applied here by the military is obviously NOT proportionate to the threat his followers posed.

Buhari is not for “everyone”, obviously after so much propaganda and recycled promises during the elections I can understand this is a hard pill to swallow (but the sooner you get a grip on reality the better) . He has ignored our youths -the very ones that played a significant role in his campaign- by failing to provide any opputurinties for them ( I’m wondering why you did not mention this at all).
      Buhari is for the old and “experienced” (yes, the same ones we’ve been recycling since 196o).

2. mrs chidukane

January 1, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Though talk is cheap, it’s a good speech. He acknowledged the problems and said they’re working on it. What else would he have said kwanu? Happy new year people. More grace, happiness and prosperity to you all. May the tea be served hot and fresh this year as well.

3. Prez

January 1, 2016 at 8:57 pm

I believe in Buhari, but one thing was left unmentioned. What about the Chibok Girls? We still want them back

• stephanie

January 1, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Are you sure? I’m really sorry to say but I think once again Nigerians are deluding themselves. The Chibok girls have been coming back one by one and blowing us up. It’s been over a year since those girls were taken. Trust me, by now, they are not the same. However, I understand that a mother will always want her child no matter what they have become. So yeah, it’s a tough one

4. Meah

January 1, 2016 at 11:20 pm

So people still believe some girls went missing?

5. idontcare

January 3, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I tire o! Chibok girls saga!! All scam. I never believed it from day one.

6. oghenekevwe

January 4, 2016 at 8:54 am

If only he didn’t keep any grouges in his heart in this 2016, that’s means the change we all are waiting for has come.