News

Seemingly Normal Nigerian Couple in Texas Kept Nanny as Slave

dreamstime_xl_36182031(1)Just a few months ago in London, a British couple originally from Nigeria who kept a man as a modern-day slave for 24 years, were jailed for their inhumane treatment of the man.

Now a Nigerian couple – Chudy, 56 and Sandra Oby Nsobondu, 50 who are naturalized American citizens in Katy, Texas has been arrested for keeping their maltreating their live-in nanny and making her a slave.

The police was tipped off in September 2015 and investigated for over four months before the arrest this week.

Here’s an excerpt of the report from Houston Press,

A Katy couple was arrested yesterday after allegedly forcing a 38-year old Nigerian woman to work as a personal slave while subjecting her to bizarre abuses, including making her strain leftover milk from cereal bowls to use in her tea, and, in one instance, beating her because she dressed the couple’s child in the wrong pair of socks, according to a U.S. Department of Justice press release.

Chudy Nsobundu, 56, and his wife Sandra, 50, were arrested yesterday and charged with forced labor, visa fraud, withholding documents and harboring conspiracy after allegedly enslaving the Nigerian woman and forcing her to work as a nanny to the couple’s five adopted children without pay.

In 2012, Sandra Nsobundu allegedly contacted the victim, who was living in Lagos, Nigeria, at the time, through a mutual friend and asked her if she would come to the United States to care for her adopted children. The Nsobundus have five children, ages 21, 12, nine and two three-year olds (according to public records, the 21-year old is a registered nurse).

The victim signed a “contract” to perform the duties, for which she believed she would earn $100 a month, and soon traveled to Texas using fraudulent identification documents allegedly paid for by the Nsobundus.

The victim told investigators with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement that she worked 5:30 a.m. to 1 a.m. every day, and was not allowed to watch TV or even sit down during her workday. She was allegedly not allowed to eat fresh food, only leftovers, and could not even use fresh milk for her tea. Instead, Sandra Nsobundu made her “strain the milk out of the children’s bowls of cereal,” according to the complaint.

The complaint also alleges that Sandra Nsobundu would physically abuse the victim … Nsobundu then allegedly told the woman that she would “shoot her and kill her” for not taking care of the kids the way she wanted her to.

Throughout her two years enslaved in the Nsobundu household, the couple would often refer to the woman as “the idiot.”

In October 2015, the woman called her bank in Nigeria and found out she had not been paid since she arrived in America, prompting her to seek help escaping from the household

The Nsobundus each face a total of up to 60 years in prison and $1 million in fines.

You can click here to read the 17 page court complaint in full.

Source: Houston Press | Photo Credit: Dreamstime.com

1. cheryl

February 10, 2016 at 10:31 am

i dont understand how u would treat someone so bad and still leave ur kids with dem, is dat nt stupidity in d 1st place, why are ppl sooo mean, as in why, ^O years in prison in addition 2 their already 5o+ years sounds lyk a very gud judgments, anuofias

2. Sonia Paloma

February 10, 2016 at 10:41 am

Say what now?
    38 years old kept as slave. Sigh!
    Some people are heartless. The grass is not always greener at the other side.

3. mabel

February 10, 2016 at 10:47 am

60 years in prison that you will still feed them well. US pls just try eh send them to Nigeria biko. I want them in kirikiri. Wicked souls.

4. FasholasLover

February 10, 2016 at 10:49 am

Some Nigerians and the horrible manner maids are treated. Who works from 5:30 am till 01:00am? Even a machine will break down. It is for this reason that Agencies are weary about sending staff to Nigerian households here in the UK. Once madam gets an au pair she suddenly looses the use of her legs., Agnessss, get me water, get my handbag, get me my legs etc. Although sha, some of this” enslavement” stories abroad are exaggerated. Piss off your friend who know you have a maid from home and you are in trouble. Double trouble if the maid is an over stayer and wants to get asylum. Blood brothers have bn known to throw their benefactor/brothers under the bus.

• lagos is my home

February 10, 2016 at 12:16 pm

You are right …….. I have had Oyibo Nannies to help me but they have reasonable opening time of 8am and closing 6pm. I pay per hour . I am always appalled when some of my naija relative come visit . They then talk down at the Nanny or want the Nanny to do all sort. I am like hold on , you are a guest here and we dont treat people like that … What happened to your legs /hand all of a sudden.
      I cautioned my MIL in one occasion and she said is the Nanny not beneath her so she can talk to her how she likes ………Beneath ke ,…….. Pls we dont do that here ooo. The Nanny is an employee , me too at work i am an employee so i have to treat others how i want to be treated .
      Pls mama when are you going back for my sanity sake .

• Rolly

February 10, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Lmfao at “when are you going back?”

Nigerians, why are you so funny?????

This couple deserve everything they got. If only they could be transferred to a prison in Nigeria…demons

5. Puzzles

February 10, 2016 at 10:52 am

So many innocent children are treated worse here in Nigeria. who will fight for them?

• swagg1

February 11, 2016 at 12:46 am

You can lead the way.

6. Icrossmyheart

February 10, 2016 at 11:04 am

Good for them. They forgot that they are not in Nigeria where the poor and helpless do not have rights. But they are lucky that they did not have a child as a slave like their fellow Nigerians. Mscheeeww

7. Exclusive

February 10, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Evulssss.

8. Ife

February 10, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I have a feeling this house girl is fraud . At 36 she left her country and went to America to be a slave . Lol . No one can enslave you(36 year old adult ) in this present century without your consent . They properly had a bitter fight , and she wanted to get at them and also get a US citizenship !

• lagos is my home

February 10, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Ife………True i dont doubt your point for a second , however if you employ someone you must pay them. The fact if true that she has not been paid over 2 years then that modern day Slavery…. even if you treated her in the best possible way , it still slavery..
      The Couple too are foolish , no one brings someone illegal to work for them, it is too risky and not worth it , especially like if the Nanny has no papers then no bank account then no payment trail …….So its their word against hers.

• fleur

February 10, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Ife, wait until you know you are an illegal immigrant and then come and tell me about your willingness orto accept conditions of slavery. Fear is a powerful weapon

• First lady bee

February 10, 2016 at 8:49 pm

My thoughts exactly. you nailed it.

• swagg1

February 11, 2016 at 1:01 am

Maybe not. I personally know of a similar situationin the states where a Nigerian employer enslaved a lady without pay with non existance basic amenities. The church assisted the employee in getting her to immigration and a law suit was filed. During the court hearing., the Nigerian employer conceeded not paying for all the years agreed with lack of care. .Needless to say that the Nigerian employer paid the debt retroactivly, and her citizenship was revoked . The enslaved lady was granted citizenship and the rest is history

9. Olu

February 10, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Really hard for me to believe this story ….this is the U.S for crying out loud. I live in the same city.
    At her age, with a landline in the house, a T.V set and lawyers begging to help you out for free (until you get paid) ..and for that long?? c’mon man! I bet she’s at home all by herself at times.

I’m not saying this doesn’t happen ..but this looks to me like someone who has a big axe to grind with the couple and definitely knows most people (and the U.S) will side with her. She will get paid and get her papers….win win for her.

My advice.: stop smuggling maids from Naija..it almost never ends well.

10. Candace

February 10, 2016 at 2:24 pm

I don’t understand how can someone live in America when they are thousands of Nigerians in Texas. With all the Nigerian and their connections to get paper she decided to be a slave. How can you even be a slave when that was abolish and a serious federal and state crime. How can she forget to call 911 and the police will be at your doors in 10mins. Was she charmed or what?
    As for those two wicked people with grown kids why can’t they ask their grown kids to help them. This are the people in African parties talking big talk and are wicked to the soul.

• Idomagirl

February 11, 2016 at 2:21 pm

“…she decided to be a slave.”
      Where did you read that she decided to become a slave?

• BJ

February 11, 2016 at 6:13 pm

You can read but can’t comprehend. If she doesn’t want to be a slave she can easily call 911 and the next minute they are there. I believe it is all exaggerated so she can get citizenship

11. Candace

February 10, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I just read the complaint filed. Chai those people are wicked. That woman will be babysitting their children while they are working doubles. Overtime and three jobs to afford their useless lifestyle.

12. ATL's finest

February 10, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Jeez!!! All these years??? Some Nigerians & their foolish ways of treating their Nannies. Btw, this TX self too many ishy taking place their with Nigerians. If they ain’t killing their wives, its sth else. Hope they quench them in jail. Btw, why can’t these folks speak up?? I mean all these yrs, their must be a way.

• ATL's finest

February 10, 2016 at 9:42 pm

*there*

13. Qu33nb

February 10, 2016 at 5:09 pm

This Nanny is a bastard! She knows this move will expedite her immigration status and she is using this family’s generosity! When they want to come they will agree to just about anything to leave the impoverish situation they were in back home. After you bring them to Yankee and take me to Golden Coral you can’t tell them shit after that! It’s now she knows she used fake documents to enter abi?!! Why didn’t she object then? And they make her sleep on the floor??? Come on! Who was there to monitor her 20 hour standing?? ? And it just might be true that they didn’t pay her, they probably spent a shit load of money getting her hungry ass to Yankee and the agreement was she would work to pay it back! Lesson to all of us sha!

14. nystyle

February 10, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Thats why i like america,they dont play yet some goats still push their luck..cant stand uk and their ever so slack justice system even in murder cases,they make me sick. This couple is done with life now

15. Honeycrown

February 10, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Na wa o! Only thing I can come up with is “Mental slavery” because I don’t understand how a grown woman can subject herself to that kind of condition in America.

16. nene

February 10, 2016 at 7:36 pm

i don’t think i believe this maid’s story. a 36 year old for that matter. this seems like a case of bringing someone to america with your hard earned money, telling the person to work off the money you spent bringing him/her over, the person is not happy that they’re not making the money the came to America to make, and then the person turns around to bite you in the ass and go scot free. God will repay this maid. i’ve heard stories like this countless times. if you must travel, sponsor yourself to america, so you don’t have to pay anyone back when you get there, and never bite the hand that has chosen to help you.

17. nnenne

February 10, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Just hope you all understand American definition of slavery.
    If you have someone, underage or adult living with you without contract and not getting salaries and/ or health benefits, that is slavery.
    All of you that have house helps, it don’t matter how nice you treat them and they are cleaning behind you, that is slavery in America, period!
    If you hired an adult, pay them salary, health insurance, give them days off, whether they live with you or not, then that is not slavery. You could have 14 year old- 17 year old, watch your child, not more than 8 hours at a time in agreement with their parents. That is, they live with their parents and only come to you on weekends or holidays. That is not slavery.

• BJ

February 11, 2016 at 6:17 pm

when is health insurance part of the criteria to hire someone when some real workers don’t have insurance? Abeg park well miss oversabi

18. Amy

February 11, 2016 at 5:17 am

I don’t mean to pick on Qu33nb or anyone, but even if this couple “helped” her here, $100 per month for about 18 hours work in a country where some states have $9 minimum wage is slavery. There is no other word for it. Btw why are some of us so quick to side with oppression? The way most Nigerians treat house helps or those less fortunate reflects in the way our “rulers” at all levels oppress. Sirens ( no ambulance), convoys of cars, use of “excellency”, honorable etc are indicative of a society in need of social reengineering. I came to the US with 3 children under 7 years ( twins included) about 15 years ago and my husband and I had no maid or anyone. We paid regular fees per hour to babysitters and nannies…. And we both were in demanding professions . As a pharmacist working 8 am to 10pm in CVS back then, we paid. That is why America is an relatively affluent society’s. Everyone gets paid what they deserve not slave wages. The woman who comes to clean the house drives a Honda Accord. Here there is dignity in labor because she charges $100 per cleaning session! We want to copy America but not those positive sides of treating each other with dignity and respect. So what if they paid for her to come here? It doesn’t justify slavery.

• Idomagirl

February 11, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Nigerians are experts at victim blaming.

19. Amy

February 11, 2016 at 5:19 am

I meant “a relatively affluent society” . I apologize for the typo.

20. amy

February 11, 2016 at 5:48 am

$9 per hour minimum wage plus labor laws that stipulate a 30 minute break after every 5 or 6 hours..

21. amy

February 11, 2016 at 6:11 am

Why does Bella Naija refuse to post my comments? Is there any censorship on what may or may not be said? I posted 2 comments, it said awaiting moderation and they disappeared. Interestingly I’m always using word of mouth to tell my friends here that it’s a neutral enlightened magazine. I guess I should just stop commenting. Maybe like all things Naija, you need long leg to comment.

22. PurplieciousBabe

February 11, 2016 at 9:48 am

I BELIEVE HER 100%. YES I HIGHLY BELIEVE HER.

Did you miss out on the part where she wasn’t getting paid? Did you?
    No evidence that they paid her or monthly payment came out of their bank account?

Or missed the part that she is 36 with no proper documents probably scared shit not knowing what to do or who to confide in? You can’t lie like this? Did you miss the part they were investigated for 4 months?

Clearly, you have no experience with the wicked people of Nigeria.
    Willing to use anyone and anything as slaves. Freaking disgusting if you ask me.

People ask why I don’t like visiting Niaj because people speak to others with so much hate and disrespect!! My spirit cannot deal.

23. keechi

February 11, 2016 at 11:25 pm

I live in Katy!! Nothing ever happens here so this is surprising to me. Plus I have a feeling that my dad know these pple…lol but yea that’s cruel and they deserve the punishment!

24. photog

February 12, 2016 at 8:38 am

Let’s not forget that this did not happen in Nigeria so the investigation was certainly not a shoddy one. So if they say the couple is guilty they must be. Any way you look at it, she wasn’t a relative that they were helping by bringing her over. The got her there illegally because they didn’t want to bear the responsibility of paying her proper wages. Why come all the way to Nigeria to look for a Nanny and forge papers to get her there?