News

10 Years of No Electricity! “Enough is Enough” Lagos Community Carries Placards & Protests, Begs Fashola

Fashola Minister of Works PlanThis lack of electricity in 2016 in Nigeria is truly appalling. The residents of this Lagos community decided enough is enough and held a protest at a newspaper house to show their seriousness.

One of the residents who has lived there for seven years said he had only seen light once! We need to hold our leaders more accountable. In this day and age, power is still so expensive because generators are the main source, also leading to noise and sound pollution.

Enough is enough!

Gbemi Olateru-Olagbegi wrote about lack of power topic lately, and we saw how it affected Sisi Yemmie in one of her recent vlogs – food spoiled, electronics breaking down, her generator caught fire – so it affects everybody.

***

Here’s the report from the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN):

Lagos, March 7, 2016 (NAN) Scores of residents of three communities on the Ibafo-Mowe axis of the Lagos/Ibadan Expressway popularly referred to as “Second Lagos”, on Monday protested what they called 10 years of power outage.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the communities were protesting the cutting off of electricity supply to their areas in the last decade.

The protesters, who converged on Punch Newspapers premises along the busy Lagos/Ibadan Expressway with some policemen on guard, also blocked part of the road at Ibafo, causing traffic jam.

The placard-carrying protesters, who had massed as early as 7.00 a.m., directed their protest at the Minister of Power, Babatunde Fashola and the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBDEC) which serves the area.

Some of the placards read: “10 years of darkness must stop; Fashola, IBDEC stop this darkness; 10 years of darkness at Magboro, Ibafo Mowe communities: Enough is enough”.

According to the protesters, mostly youths, several notices had been given to IBDEC complaining of unfair distribution of electricity.

Some of the protesters told NAN that the residents had been subjected to untold hardships since the communities were thrown into the decade-long darkness.

A resident of Magboro, Johnson Ogundipe, said:

I moved to Magboro about seven years ago, but I have only seen light maybe once.

As one of the leaders in the community, we have written several letters of appeal to the IBDEC and we also contributed some money to make sure that we have power but to no avail.

IBDEC always comes up with one story or the other on why electricity was not restored to Magboro.

Magboro residents are tired of this blackout after contributing several millions of naira to IBDEC. This is shameful.”

Another resident, Sola Lawson, said IBDEC had not showed enough commitment to restoring power to the affected communities after several appeals.

The power issue with our area has been on before the unbundling of PHCN. The suffering in this community is too much as we cannot get petrol to buy to power our generators.

I hope government will do something about the problem …we will continue with this protest until the matter is addressed.”

Contacted for his comment, John Ayodele, the Deputy Managing Director, IBDEC in Ibadan told NAN on telephone that the areas were not totally cut off but had been getting power supply intermittently from Abeokuta.

He blamed the poor power supply on the uncompleted National Independent Power Project (NIPP) in the area.

“The areas are to get supply from Akute through the NIPP but last year when it was scheduled for commissioning, we noticed that the contractors used sub-standard materials.

We decided that the contractors handling the project should reconstruct or `address’ the defects in the project, but as we speak they have not done anything.

When the plant was to be connected to distribute power it could not carry the loads in the areas,’’ he said.

We agreed that the contractors handling the project should reconstruct or address the challenges.”

On the suggestion that another power project should be provided in the area, Ayodele said it would take between seven to eight months to complete. (NAN)

1. keke driver

March 7, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Really, isn’t this embarrassing? that in 2016 we still CANNOT boast of 24hr power supply, is it not shameful…these politicians sef, don’t they travel abroad?

• Joke

March 7, 2016 at 5:52 pm

They spend a lot of their time abroad in their “abroad homes” that is why they don’t care how things are in Nigeria..

2. X

March 7, 2016 at 2:37 pm

The caption is misleading. More like “all of my life”

3. Ariere

March 7, 2016 at 3:04 pm

This country never ceases to frustrate and embarrass its citizens. I budget and spend 15K weekly on Petrol for my Gens every week. Thats 60k monthly!!! I havent added other ‘costs of living well in Nigeria’ to that figure o. Imagine using that money for something more meaningful than Petrol…

Whats in something as basic as 12hr Electricity(let me not be greedy to ask for a full 24hr service, Lol) that this Leaders cant solve once and for all??

Even since I was 5yrs old, I have bn hearing ‘up NEPA’ , now im approaching my thirties and I see little children of 5 years of age saying the same thing.

• see

March 7, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Read this and you’ll never have to spend 60k monthly on fuel for generator. Hope this helps. I bumped into it. Thought to share
      greennative.com/#!I-better-pass-my-neigbour/c15bj/56bc63b50cf2fb0f6ff93dd8

• TeeS

March 8, 2016 at 6:18 am

Please I beg you be GREEDY.
      You deserve electricity for 24 hours and it is not too much to ask from a government.
      Nigerians are too comfortable with suffering. It’s really sad. I really do not understand why electricity is hard to come by , it’s not rocket science.

4. ethio

March 7, 2016 at 3:49 pm

All they do is look for loot and then re_loot, I’m tired of this media change I voted for

5. Tolu

March 7, 2016 at 3:50 pm

We should all be protesting about this. Shut down the whole system and be on the street. We’re just too tolerant like slaves

• Sisi

March 7, 2016 at 5:37 pm

This is it. People must be comfortable with their situation that it continues. It’s not like the money isn’t there, it is about opportunity cost for the powers that be. Invest and solve this longstanding PROBLEM or direct the resources elsewhere for personal interest or short term wins. If it’s really doing you I believe you will be on the streets protesting or lobbying those who you need to. Civil unrest is needed, all need to get involved including the middle class.

6. jedalo

March 7, 2016 at 4:23 pm

i wanted to keep quiet but that comment from the Deputy MD riled me up cos that’s the same excuse we’ve been getting for several months now and i don’t know why we have to bear the brunt of their negligence and corruption. His talk of intermittent power supply is laughable, he must be out of the country and probably heard that from his subordinates. @Ariere i couldn’t have said it better,so true. I think the authorities should do something constructive rather than be laid-back and give excuses.

7. prince

March 7, 2016 at 4:25 pm

You only saw light once and you’re still living there. I cant live in such area even if I’m the landlord. how do you cope without light for a month, how much more a year and then two years to 10years. Our leaders are EVIL and what can change this is a serious revolution.

8. swagg1

March 7, 2016 at 7:36 pm

I am glad that these ppl are now expressing their frustration. However, they were in a coma for 7years during the past adminstration, but didnt protest. So, this is the perfect time to protest now that Fashola only took over few months agos. The height of hypocricy is just amazing and you wonder why those in power do not take them serious. JOKERS!!

9. luvnaija

March 7, 2016 at 8:30 pm

That’s my problem with past/present/future govts! Lack of accountability and penalty on erring contractors because Ogas at the top have collected bribe! In North Korea/China such contractor will be beheaded! And the MD of IBDEC or whatever it’s called is sounding as though helpless having discovered a contractor has cut corners! Hope Fashola/Saint Buhari reading this?
    In fact, the whole Nigerians should be on the street protesting this power shortage/disappearance issue!
    Enough is enough…

10. laura

March 7, 2016 at 11:38 pm

I’m sorry did I see 10years? No offence but it’s been more than 10 years….

11. Ty

March 9, 2016 at 6:24 am

@Tolu, I totally agree with you. Enough is enough. We should all rise up and demand that things are done right and refuse to continue to live like this. all the food in my freezer got spoilt, I had to throw them out. Now both freezer and fridge are standing empty and open. What is freaking going on????

12. tunji

June 15, 2016 at 9:37 pm

we believed in promises,we voted for promises and we received promises.and like this for ever.