Connect with us

News

Confectioner in Pakistan Mistakenly Used Pesticide as Flavour leaving 26 People Dead & More Critically Ill

Published

 on

Laddu

Laddu

Pakistani police on Tuesday confirmed that a confectioner in Pakistan has mistakenly mixed pesticide into a batch of sweets, leaving 26 people dead and dozens more critically ill.

Police explained in Islamabad that a resident, Umer Hayat ordered for laddu: balls of fried sweet dough popular across South Asia, to celebrate the birth of his grandson in a village in the eastern province of Punjab. It said the initial findings of the investigation revealed that pesticides were being kept in the sweet-maker’s kitchen while the retailer next door was being renovated.

Wasim Akbar, Police Official, said a worker apparently mistook a can of liquid pesticide for flavouring.
He said the can resembled familiar ingredients, and was only labelled in English.

“The results of the forensic tests of the deceased and the pastries were still pending. Children and women were among the dead in Fateh Poor, in the province’s Layyah region,” he said.

Akbar said the sweets were distributed last week by local resident Hayat to his relatives and friends. The police officer said three people have been arrested.

CNN reports that Hayat is now in critical condition in a hospital, and six brothers, one sister and two children in his family have died after eating the laddu.

Arshad Bhutta, fellow resident, explained that the first fatalities occurred soon after, and the death toll kept rising as the village lacks health facilities and the nearest clinic with a stomach pump is five hours away.

He said the provincial government on Tuesday sent a team of doctors and medics to treat over 100 people that are still seriously ill.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in May 1976 to gather and distribute news on Nigeria and cover events of interest to Nigeria at the international level for the benefit of the Nigerian Media and the Public.

6 Comments

  1. Uberhautelooks.blogspot.com

    April 26, 2016 at 2:48 pm

    See gbege ooo…make person dey dey careful now ni ooo

  2. Bella

    April 26, 2016 at 4:06 pm

    Already we all know it’s a wicked world we live in. One just have to be prayerful. It’s risky to lead a carefree lifestyle. RIP to the dead.

  3. Tina

    April 26, 2016 at 4:18 pm

    So sad

  4. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

    April 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm

    I hope the authorities put the pesticides in feeding bottles for them and force them to drink it also. Useless and reckless people.

  5. Tee

    April 26, 2016 at 6:11 pm

    Na wa o, just yesterday I was complaining about the cake I ate that I reacted to. My friend confirmed it was the second time it happened to me, once from Amigos Abuja and a lebanese cafe in Gwarinpa. I don’t get the same reaction from other cake shop. I vowed yesterday not to mess up my system with their cake again. I called it cheap, maybe na the ingredients dey mix inside cause my bleeding sef. Make God dey help person o. The same way chocolate royal got into trouble cos of expired products last year. Today, I read how some people are re-packaging expired digestive biscuits in Lagos. The regular short bread expiry date looks dodgy too. All for money! The heart of men is desperately wicked.

  6. Drknite

    April 26, 2016 at 6:34 pm

    RIP! what a crappy way to die.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tangerine Africa


Star Features

css.php