Scoop

From House Squatter to Filmmaker, Ifan Ifeanyi Michael Speaks on His Entrance to Nollywood in Made Magazine

Ifan-Made-Magazine-April-Issue-April-2016-BellaNaija0001

Ifan Ifeanyi Michael is a celebrity stylist, a brand consultant and more recently, a film maker. Few days ago, Made Magazine unveiled him as the cover star for the ‘New-generation’ April 2016 issue and finally we get to read the full interview!

Here is an excerpt from the Magazine:

On his humble beginnings

I was chosen to act in a movie at the tender age of 5. After the movie a few marketers/scouts approached me with so many promises and at the age of 8 I finally yielded to one marketer in Lagos. I left Port-Harcourt for Lagos in a night bus with very little money. When I got to Lagos, I called the marketer’s number but it never went through. It was so late in the night,  I started wandering around Ojuelegba bridge where the bus had stopped. Eventually, I slept by some mallams and area boys under Masha bridge that night. The next day I wandered around asking questions about Winny’s hotel and National Theatre which I eventurally found because they said that’s were actors stay. With time I became friends with a lady who just liked me and I became “The House Squatter”. I spent so many years scurrying around acting in movies, going for auditions, etc. Here I am working on my own movie and back to where it all started but in a different dimension of Class.

Ifan-Made-Magazine-April-Issue-April-2016-BellaNaija0002On his motivation

I will say diligence, perseverance, faith and boldness has added up with the Grace of God to bring me to an expected end. “See ye a man diligent in his work, he shall receive his reward”

On issues facing the Industry

Support and finances – Nigerians aren’t really supportive of their talents at all, people make mistakes but instead of encouraging them, they turn it into some evil plot to ruin you. Some people want you to do a job for them almost free. I understand the recession in the country right now, but how do you expect those doing the job to feed? In the end it’s all about favours but I believe with time things will change.

Ifan-Made-Magazine-April-Issue-April-2016-BellaNaija0004

On his decision to delve into producing movies

It has always been my heartthrob – the reason I came to Lagos was film. Everything I have done was just to be in film so it was just automatic at this point to do what I love most.

On his experience working with Liz Benson

Working with Liz Benson was a honor. She is quite humble and a true cool mum. It was also challenging as we all know she is very professional for amateurs. So I had to get my priorities right.

On his next movie project

Still on ‘Lotanna’. To avoid producing an underfunded movie, time is needed to make a movie “a never forget” I am not in a haste because to get a classy product, time and money must be involved. Lotanna will be out this year, #ANTICIPATE.

Credits
Photography: Remi Adetiba
Fashion Director: Tokyo James
Model: Ifan Ifeanyi Michael
Clothes: Maxivive
Location: Kiki Melissa Studios

1. segson

April 14, 2016 at 5:47 pm

The best article I have read this year. Ifan m so proud of your success so far. Keep it up!

2. Jo!

April 14, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Nah, this story get as e be. You came to lagos at 8 and have been hustling here since then?
    And your parents just left you? This story is incomplete abeg

3. Great

April 14, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I can’t wait for this Amazing film with star studded, fingers crossed. @ifan thank God for his grace upon you

4. praizeblog.com

April 14, 2016 at 7:00 pm

hmmmm

5. Fam

April 14, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Nice interview, but I think we need to be more professional in our reporting. This story is incomplete and there are so many typos and grammatical errors. Don’t come chew me up, simply improve on your professional presentation.

6. MsTilii

April 14, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Ifeanyi, I have my eye on your work. I wish you luck and blessings.

I wish nollywood, Ghana and all of Africa will always give shine to the up and coming FILM MAKERS, many send me inbox trailers to their small budget short films and I am always so impressed and have such high hopes for them. We need to encourage them, they are the only ones who can change the industry from mediocre scripts snd movie production to international well respected movies. If we get some Hollywood gurus to hold short workshops to teach techniques. I do understand funding is the most crucial.

Someday I’ll invest in these film makers just as I know only a few banks do. There is a lot of talent out there wishing for a break. Real talent (not the mediocre ones we get bombarded with) 🙂

MsTilii
    (AfricanMovieReviewer)

7. Mamarazzi

April 16, 2016 at 1:12 am

As usual, haters will hate… you don’t need to tell anyone your full story, a sneak peak is enough… What you have written can be believed because I know a very close pal whose folkes didn’t care to know where he was until he started sending them money almost 14yrs later of which I advised him to.
    I know your story is incomplete because a pen and paper cannot contain it but keep moving and banking on God, you will soar. Hope to meet you someday at the top. SAYONARA!