Scoop

“I haven’t had a dollar of my mum’s money in five years” – Kylie Jenner talks being a Feminist & Making her Own Money

BellaNaija.com

Kylie Jenner

Kylie Jenner has landed her debut cover for Glamour UK and she looks amazing! The youngest of the Kardashian-Jenner family covers the magazine’s social media issue, which also stars Selena Gomez, Louise Pentland and Ellie Goulding.

She is due to outdo her sisters on Instagram by 2017 and to have her own “Discover” channel on Snapchat before the year is out and her hugely successful Lip Kits have helped her build up her own business empire. She also has three fashion collaborations, one with Topshop, another with Puma and also a project with her sister Kendall Jenner.

Here’s an excerpt of her cover story:

On making her own money
“I haven’t had a dollar of my mum’s money for five years,” she said in the June issue. “Ever since I started earning my own money, I’ve paid for everything: all my cars, houses, clothes, everything.  I like to know exactly what’s going on and I’m actually quite careful with what I spend.  We all are as a family.”

On Being A Feminist
“I do consider myself a feminist,” she says. “I’m a young woman, for one thing, and I don’t depend on a man or anybody else.  I make my own money and start my own businesses, and I feel like I’m an inspiration for a lot of young girls who want to stand on their own.”

On stepping out of the limelight soon
“I only show people what I want them to see,” she said. ” And in time, I think I’ll just slowly start moving behind the scenes.  The show has to end eventually, and I’m not going to leave until we’re done with it, but by 20 I want to have the whole of my cosmetics line out because that’s my primary focus.  I definitely won’t want to be doing anything else that would make me more public.”

Kyle-Jenner-Glamour-UK-June-2016-Cover-April-2016-BellaNaija 001

You can read up the full issue interview here.

1. Prince

April 29, 2016 at 11:44 am

Does she even know the meaning of that word ‘FEMINIST’ What’s wrong with all this mumus calling themselves feminist. Even Kylie that is still wearing pampers.
    No be small thing

• A

April 29, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Shut up!!! We should all be feminist!!!!!

• Caligula

April 29, 2016 at 2:27 pm

This girl again.. She’s financially independent because she was born into a celebrity family. They all have a team of people doing the real work to make them more money. All Kylie & the rest of them have to do is show up and pose. Real people, normal people actually have to get an education, work & work…

• Ginger

April 29, 2016 at 1:57 pm

You don’t have to be intellectual, prudish or even morally sound to be a feminist. It’s possible that Kylie is one, even though most feminists that people know are educated, career women. Ultimately, feminism is about choice, deconstruction of gender roles, and fighting sexism. A male farmer in the village could be a feminist, and so can a stripper. *Kylie could be lying, but we shouldn’t assume she is because she’s a Jenner

2. Muse

April 29, 2016 at 12:04 pm

A feminist is a lady that doesn’t depend on anyone for money according to Kylie Jenner?? Where are the real feminists?? I don dey confuse.

• Ginger

April 29, 2016 at 2:08 pm

@muse while feminism is much more than that, it’s possible that Kylie is focused on the business aspect, the way Nigerian feminists often focus on rape and gender roles in marriage. (It’s a multifaceted movement, so we often face the matters that are dearest to us.) The way oppression and cheating husbands are the reality for many Nigerian women, being taken seriously as a business woman is Kylie’s own ‘reality’. She could be lying though lol, but undermining her based on her lifestyle contradicts the point of the movement in the first place.

3. blue

April 29, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Love the business side of her, she doesn’t depend on her family’s wealth which if she had done no one would say anything considering her age but rather she is making her own money n setting goals for herself. Don’t know about feminism though and I don’t believe she can ever step out of limelight cos she is exactly like her sister Kim that can do anything to remain there, if kendal had said that I would have believed but not Kylie. Love her style.

4. naya

April 29, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I actually do envy/admire her. At least she isn’t useless, but damn she is lucky. Wen u av dat much money to start a business y would u still be collecting money from ur parents. Mehn I am 20 I still dey school dey struggle, my newest achievement is that I don’t collect offering money and money to make my hair anymore????. God my own goal is b4 30, answer ur baby Lord, Amen.

5. keke driver

April 29, 2016 at 12:27 pm

OK lemme put an end to this A FEMINIST IS……”a ​person who ​believes in ​feminism, and ​tries to ​achieve ​change that HELPS WOMEN TO GET EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES AND TREATMENT.

6. Sugar

April 29, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Kylie your entire family should thank KIM for giving yall a career.
    Without Kim nobody knows you o. So when ure talking about starting a business, buying a house, car etc……..It all boils down to Kim and Ray J

• lily

April 29, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Angry much? Please take several seats.

• Abike

April 29, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Sugar wrote the truth. Without Kim, Kylie wont even know what feminist means. She will probably be in high school with bag pack and preparing for prom night.

7. Jo!

April 29, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Chile, you’re 18, you’re not even a woman yet not to talk of feminist. Shior

8. Lala

April 29, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Would I call her a feminist NO! But I would say she’s an independent young woman I dunno why I just feel that she’s just such for herself and her empire *theres nothing wrong with that* love her hustle sha

• @Lala

April 29, 2016 at 3:34 pm

What would you call a feminist? It’s not up to any of us/ our subjective moral and lifestyle ideals to determine who a feminist is. Not all feminists shun makeup and the male gaze. Some love makeup, long hair, and being sexualised. The key word here is ‘choice.’

9. Tunmi

April 29, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Thanks @Lala

10. AmaPra Twia(Ghana)

May 31, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Kylie should thank RayJ and Kim for her “career”.