News

Jungle Justice: Suspected Robber Hacked to Death in Ikeja today

Jungle-JusticeJungle Justice has become an unfortunately all too common phenomenon in Nigeria and it needs to stop Individuals, suspected to have committed a crime, have been killed without being given the opportunity for a trial in a competent court.

The law we subscribe to says that an individual is innocent until proven guilty in the court of law. Apart from that, no individual has the right to mete out (capital) punishment on another individual for any crime whatsoever, even when he/she is caught red-handed.

Unfortunately, another sad story of lynching has been reported in the Ikeja Area of Lagos state.

Felix* who sent in the story said,

“Every Friday Morning, I shoot in a gym at Oliyide Street in Ikeja  for a Cable TV Station, but as I arrived the venue this morning, I realized that the place was locked and occupants of houses in that street were seen in twos and threes analyzing what seems to be like an eye witness ordeal of a robbery incident.

According to eyewitnesses, the young man was caught after robbing people of their valuables, they were two, but the second robber escaped when he sensed his end was imminent. Instant justice was carried out on the other one after he was shot in the leg.

As at the time of writing this report, he’s still on the floor of Änike Apena Street, not too far from Customs Office in Ikeja.”

There are more photos of the incident but we can’t share them as they are too graphic.

It really is an unfortunate situation that in 2016 people feel the need to take the law into their own hands. Jungle justice needs to stop!

1. Nene

April 8, 2016 at 2:43 pm

What law? Look at how ibinabo’s case has been going. It’s things like this that allow jungle justice. When law enforcement and the court of law fails, the people rise up and take the law into their hands. Jungle justice will never stop till Nigerian citizens and the Nigerian justice system does the right thing.

2. wunmi

April 8, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Stories like this remind me of ALUU4 and it just breaks my heart over again. I don’t support crime but pls NO MORE JUNGLE JUSTICE. Hand suspects over to the proper authority. Innocent people may get caught up in this inhumane act. Besides its not in our place to punish suspected criminals *sadmuch*

3. AhA

April 8, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Jungle justice is terrible in any direction…but esp so whn truly innocent pple ar involved. Nigeria is in a messy state….Its a messy situation, d citizens dont trust d law, n rightly so, even d president has no respect 4 d law (total disregard 4 court orders)…Why isnt d govt doing a thing abt ds messy lawlessness? Hw do u effectively fight corruptn wt a messy judiciary? Messy law enforecmt agencies? Ibinabo’s case is 10yrs n counting. Dasuki and co how long?
    Fulani herdsmen killing repeatedly at will n d law looks on like d hv d ryts to kill….No 1 has ever been held accountable 4 jungle justice, not 1 herdsman in d least! Pple burn fellow humans in d open n nothing happens….d govt jus looks away, d pple simply walk away…
    Disaster looms in d horizon!

4. Rampage

April 8, 2016 at 3:35 pm

I used to be against jungle justice but changed my view after really watching the country for a while. It’s apparently the only justice system that provides relief to citizens in the country.

Jungle justice is far from perfect but it puts some power in the hands of citizens who mostly feel disenfranchised.

Telling or begging people to stop jungle justice is like trying to haul water in a basket, unless you are also empowering them with a fair judiciary and effective police force.

5. Steps

April 8, 2016 at 4:31 pm

@Rampage I totally agree with you. I am not one to stand for jungle justice until when I witnessed an attempted robbery on Osborne road this week at 6am. For those who drive along that stretch its relatively safe compared to Marina or Eko bridge before policemen were assigned to those routes. The robber attempted to rob the car right in front of me but I was quick enough to swerve to another lane, So was the driver of the car in front.

All week I have had flashes of the scene on my mind and really hoped I had a gun to have shot him in the leg NOT TO KILL HIM but to serve as a warning/deterrent..

I really dislike the idea of armed robbery as sometimes some people usually use poverty as an excuse. I know its easier said but we all do have a choice not to steal from people.

6. Marian

April 8, 2016 at 4:43 pm

It’s easy to justify when you or someone you know are not at the receiving end of it.

All I gotta do is yell OLE! without any proof and in less than an hour a precious life can be cut short. There have been cases of mistaken identity during a robbery chase and the wrong person was killed.

I used to have nightmares about going to the market in Nigeria because of this thing.

Even if, so a starving 12 year old boy with unemployed parents who out of Hunger and frustration stole a loaf of agege bread should be stoned and burnt alive because our justice system is not perfect?

Is your average Nigerian not corrupt? Tried to get a cab in Lagos last year and the dude said 2k. Fortunately I had someone who was familiar with Lagos with me and she gave him the whole, oga, no be like 20 blocks we dey go speech. We paid 200 naira. I mean like really? I was so mad because I would have actually given the guy 2k thinking I was going somewhere far.
    Called the manager of an event centre 2 months ago and he added 50k to the real price. I was just like really dude? Why can’t people just give the real price of stuff? I hate pricing things.

7. mide

April 8, 2016 at 11:43 pm

There might be fuel scarcity. But Nigeria is not a jungle. I repeat, Nigeria is not a jungle.
    If God was to be shooting parts of our body small small for all our ‘secret’ sins,which part you go get left??

Biko just hand them to the authorities.
    A killer is a killer. Either you did it as punishment or not!

8. Tosin

April 10, 2016 at 6:17 am

1. Thank you for this Public Service Announcement. May God help us understand.
    2. If fuel and other hustles continue then pray as we enter the new week, because unfortunately people come unhinged from the pressure and they do terrible things to themselves and others that they might not have done in a saner state. People fight more, and more violently, and it’s not a stretch for me to think that people would be more likely to chase down and murder a fellow citizen. So sad.

9. http://infopedia.com.ng

July 21, 2016 at 9:24 am

Our judicial system in Nigeria sef, if the guy is spared to court. We might not hear anything again.